Need advice-travel/medical ins. with Chase Sapphire Reserve

kent4489

We have had a Chase Sapphire Reserve for several years.  The past few years we have had to put claims in due to tours or ports on a cruise being cancelled.  We have received all of our money back that we put claims in for.  Usually within a few days. We always use our Chase card to purchase travel so we get the various insurance (medical, trip delay/cancellation and car rental).  I'm sure it helps to have a Chase Private Banker.

10 hours ago, goldiemom said:

We have had a Chase Sapphire Reserve for several years.  The past few years we have had to put claims in due to tours or ports on a cruise being cancelled.  We have received all of our money back that we put claims in for.  Usually within a few days. We always use our Chase card to purchase travel so we get the various insurance (medical, trip delay/cancellation and car rental).  I'm sure it helps to have a Chase Private Banker.

And there you have it.  Pull never hurts.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2022 at 5:31 PM, fudgbug said:

If using Chase for a claim, don't hold your breath waiting for the claim to be paid.  Requests for same documents over and over.  It's been going on since early August with Card Benefit Services.  Now the claim is still in hands of someone who manages claims at Alliaz and the claim is permanently "Pending" with never ending requests for additional documentation.

My experience with the Chase Sapphire insurance is the same.  Our cruise was cancelled due to a family death.  All requested documents have been submitted several times and the only response from Card Benefit Services is a request for the same documents.  Our only other travel insurance claim was with Allianz and was no problem whatsoever.

On 10/18/2022 at 1:29 PM, kent4489 said:

Under "evacuation", the benefits state that the trip must be booked through a travel agency, however, I booked direct with Azamara. When I called Chase, they said we would be covered, but I'm not feeling confident. Any thoughts on this? Anyone know how or if a medical evacuation can happen on a trans-Atlantic?

Evacuation in travel insurance provides for hospital-to-hospital transfer if you require a higher level of care. It must be medically necessary and involves approval of the participating doctors, the receiving hospital, and the insurance provider. Typically, you are treated in-country and returned home by commercial air once you are able to travel. 

That is why many recommend MedJet. It is a membership service that allows you to make the decision about being transferred.

Evacuation does not mean air/sea rescue. That maneuver is performed by specially  trained military units of the nearest country capable of providing the service. If you are out of range, it does not happen. As another post describes, the captain diverts to the nearest port, and the patient is disembarked. In the meantime, the ship’s doctors provide the best care they are equipped to deliver.

In any event, travel insurance does not pay for air/sea rescue. It is provided at no cost as part of the mission to aid ships at sea. Your cost (and travel insurance coverage) begins when the helicopter touches land.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I received a resolution on my Chase Sapphire Reserve travel delay claim yesterday, so wanted to post a real time experience. 

We have carried Chase Sapphire Reserve cards for several years. We love the card and the many benefits that come with it such as Priority Pass Lounges, point accrual, the travel credit, and the insurance coverage (that we hoped never to need). We also buy the Geoblue Trekker Essential annual policy, that we carry for travel insurance coverage of major expenses, that we also hope to never use. 

On August 4 we had flight delays and cancellations that spilled over into August 5, in trying to get from IAD Dulles Washington to New York LGA. We were trying to board the QM2 for a transatlantic sailing from NY to Southampton UK, departing on the afternoon of August 5. By the time the August 4 flight was finally cancelled at 8:45pm, it was past the time to cancel our NY hotel room, so we lost money on that booking, and had to book a hotel near Dulles for the night. 

After our rescheduled flight on August 5 got cancelled that morning, we ended up renting a car on August 5 and driving the 5 hours from DC to NY to make the ship on time. United refunded our cancelled flights, and the rental car cost about the same amount, so no loss there. 

When I returned from our trip, I filed a claim with Chase Sapphire Reserve for trip delay, to see if they would cover anything. I filed the claim on August 30, 2022. There were 4 communications from them requesting additional documents, some of which I provided more than once. On November 7, 2022, I received an email saying that my claim had been resolved, and they were covering the cost of the hotel night in New York that was not refunded. Although I had filed for more (rental car, hotel near Dulles), this resolution is an acceptable one to us, as truly that is all the money we are really out for this delay. So, from filing to resolution, about 10 weeks. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, terry&mike said:

Although I had filed for more (rental car, hotel near Dulles), this resolution is an acceptable one to us, as truly that is all the money we are really out for this delay. So, from filing to resolution, about 10 weeks. 

There you have it folks.

Insurance is a reimbursement for the ACTUAL financial losses you incur as a result of a covered incident.  You were paid for the monies you were out, even though you asked for other compensations.  It is those others that you are not entitled to.  You got back the UA ticket price and you paid to get to NY by rental.  And by your own admission, "no loss there" - so no compensation there.

2 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

There you have it folks.

Insurance is a reimbursement for the ACTUAL financial losses you incur as a result of a covered incident.  You were paid for the monies you were out, even though you asked for other compensations.  It is those others that you are not entitled to.  You got back the UA ticket price and you paid to get to NY by rental.  And by your own admission, "no loss there" - so no compensation there.

Yes, as I said, this was a resolution that was acceptable to us. We found the process relatively easy and the end result satisfactory. 

2 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Any reason you filed for items beyond your actual losses?

No. I filled out the claim and provided receipts and explanations for the expenses that occurred during the period of our travel delay. I left it to the insurer to decide what they would cover. For example, I did not know if they would cover the original hotel in NY that we didn’t stay at, or if they would prefer to cover the substitute hotel in DC we had to book when the flight cancelled. Didn’t matter to me; I provided all the information and let them make the call. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We just checked today and annual policies do not cover trip cancellation costs, only medical & evacuation costs, etc.. We've used a few times Travel Guard and have been satisfied. We had to file a claim for dw's illness and visit to a hospital in Israel and everything we paid for was reimbursed except for the taxi which I failed to get a receipt for.

Edited by dabear

18 hours ago, dabear said:

We just checked today and annual policies do not cover trip cancellation costs, only medical & evacuation costs, etc.. We've used a few times Travel Guard and have been satisfied. We had to file a claim for dw's illness and visit to a hospital in Israel and everything we paid for was reimbursed except for the taxi which I failed to get a receipt for.

Our Allianz annual policy covers trip cancelation up to $15,000 per year.  Not per person.

On 11/8/2022 at 11:34 AM, FlyerTalker said:

Any reason you filed for items beyond your actual losses?

There is no use getting into the weeds about the definition of Trip Interruption and Trip Delay, but there are third-party comprehensive policies that allow the application of both provisions to the same event when it occurs for covered reasons. No policy allows for items beyond actual losses, but it does cover additional expenses.

There is a lot of variation in policy wording, but generally Trip Interruption reimburses unused prepaid non-refundable costs (New York hotel) and additional costs to catch up to the trip (rental car). Trip Delay pays for meals and lodging when a trip is delayed - most often by Common Carrier (Dulles hotel).

Chase coverage does not work that way because it is not a comprehensive policy nor is it intended to replace one. It merely provides some limited benefits in exchange for the annual fee. Nice when it works.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2022 at 10:15 PM, shank63 said:

My experience with the Chase Sapphire insurance is the same.  Our cruise was cancelled due to a family death.  All requested documents have been submitted several times and the only response from Card Benefit Services is a request for the same documents.  Our only other travel insurance claim was with Allianz and was no problem whatsoever.

For a claim filed in mid July, we received credit November 7.

On 10/29/2022 at 10:15 PM, shank63 said:

Our claim has been settled within 60 days of filing, so we are satisfied and will continue to use the Chase Sapphire insurance.  Hopefully there will be no claims to file.in our future travels.