Be Careful What You Buy on Board

nelblu

2 hours ago, desibee said:

Some of them were probably put there by incompetent policing.  I'd say a good chunk anyway.  

If you actually read my post completely, you'd see that I said that.  So, your point is?

On 10/21/2022 at 6:36 PM, bjlaac said:

Long time cruiser here and this has been going on for decades.  The shops whether on the ship or in the Islands will always say its duty free, which it is from excise and import duty tax.  However there is a limit up to $800 per person or $1,600 if you stop in the USVI.  I don't think the amounts have changed in a long time.

Use to be everyone had to fill out the custom forms but that stopped a while ago any only if you exceeded the limit did you need to complete it.  Now the cruise lines could be a little more reminding but its really each individual to know the law and their limits.

Always assume you'll be stopped by customs and if you are not...move along. 

The form was given to all passengers in January of 2014 on my Celebrity Cruise out of Miami. We had a routine of placing all of all receipts into an envelope and keep a running tab. This made filling out the form easy at the end of the last night as we packed. We were some of the first people off of the ship as we drove and had our suitcases. We had our passports inspected and the Customs agent asked us if we had purchased anything. We said yes and my wife proceeded to hand him the declaration and pull the envelope with the tally and receipts. We did not exceed any limits.

At that point, he waves his hand for us to proceed and comments that he wishes everyone was a prepared as we are. "Many people say they did not buy anything on board or on their shore excursions. When you presented the list, we know you are aware of what you need to report," he said as we passed.

That was the last cruise I filled out a declaration. I wonder if they changed things when they went to contactless passports just using the facial recognition. No one asked if we had anything to declare at any time during our recent disembarkations. We have never even stopped walking coming off of the boat since then except to stop for facial recognition. Then it is on to the parking lot.

4 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

That was the last cruise I filled out a declaration. I wonder if they changed things when they went to contactless passports just using the facial recognition. No one asked if we had anything to declare at any time during our recent disembarkations. We have never even stopped walking coming off of the boat since then except to stop for facial recognition. Then it is on to the parking lot.

At the time they stopped using the forms at ports the cruise line touted the change. it sounded like it was some kind of agreement. I guess it saves the cruise line from distributing forms. Last time I did an international flight the airline distributed the form.  I don't think the form is discontinued. Someone correct me if that is wrong. 

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

At the time they stopped using the forms at ports the cruise line touted the change. it sounded like it was some kind of agreement. I guess it saves the cruise line from distributing forms. Last time I did an international flight the airline distributed the form.  I don't think the form is discontinued. Someone correct me if that is wrong. 

Have not received the form on a return flight from outside the country in years. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Have not received the form on a return flight from outside the country in years. 

They were handing them out recently on a flight on a foreign airline but apparently they will just be tossed. According to google they are doing random checks. Of course you still need to declare if you are over the limits. Are there kiosks? Since I use the Global Entry kiosk I have not paid attention. 

Edited by Charles4515

OP, You lost me when you stated on the previous page that your son was "led by his nose".  Exaggeration, maybe?  What else has been exaggerated?

As I stated earlier, we, too, have been stopped by Security, and sent back to fix a problem.  It was not humiliating.  I doubt that anyone else departing the ship even notices things like this; they are only concerned with their own departure.  If "humiliation" is the problem, then there is not a problem.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

OP, You lost me when you stated on the previous page that your son was "led by his nose".  Exaggeration, maybe?  What else has been exaggerated?

As I stated earlier, we, too, have been stopped by Security, and sent back to fix a problem.  It was not humiliating.  I doubt that anyone else departing the ship even notices things like this; they are only concerned with their own departure.  If "humiliation" is the problem, then there is not a problem.

I have heard the bong go off but I never assumed it was something bad but perhaps from the description it was not just the bong but the way it was done. They should just tell people that it is a customs check. My freinds had to go to customs for an agricultural check retuning from a cruise at Fort Lauderdale. They told them exactly what  they were checking for so they were not at all stressed. I never had a customs check on a cruise but I have had a couple of checks at airports returning which considering the number of flights from abroad  I have been on was a miniscule number. I am pretty sure they were random checks. They went through my dirty laundry but I had nothing to declare or that was not declared.

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

They were handing them out recently on a flight on a foreign airline but apparently they will just be tossed. According to google they are doing random checks. Of course you still need to declare if you are over the limits. Are there kiosks? Since I use the Global Entry kiosk I have not paid attention. 

GE is what I use as well

46 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I have heard the bong go off but I never assumed it was something bad but perhaps from the description it was not just the bong but the way it was done. They should just tell people that it is a customs check. My freinds had to go to customs for an agricultural check retuning from a cruise at Fort Lauderdale. They told them exactly what  they were checking for so they were not at all stressed. I never had a customs check on a cruise but I have had a couple of checks at airports returning which considering the number of flights from abroad  I have been on was a miniscule number. I am pretty sure they were random checks. They went through my dirty laundry but I had nothing to declare or that was not declared.

All we wanted was and explanation.  

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

Big difference, you were told what the issue and problem was so that you could correct it.  

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, nelblu said:

All we wanted was and explanation.  Once again, unless the subject is a minor, you are not entitled to an explanation.  And Law Enforcement will not usually tell the subject exactly what's going on until the subject is at a safe location for EVERYBODY is safe, not just the LE personnel.  Standing at the entry point at the terminal is not exactly a good place to tell someone that there is an investigation into some possible unlawful activity.  It is what it is, it doesn't matter if you agree with it or not.  It's a proven tactic that helps prevent unsafe acts.  No, it doesn't work 100% of the time.  Some people are just hotheads.  

Big difference, you were told what the issue and problem was so that you could correct it.  See above!

30 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

You keep missing the point. Law enforcenment was not involved. It was Royal Caribbean crew. Nor is there an investigation of possible unlawful activity. They have not yet gone to the customs checkpoint or gone past it. So there would not have been unlawful activity at that point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

All we wanted was and explanation.  

Big difference, you were told what the issue and problem was so that you could correct it.  

No, we were not told.  All that Security would say was "I don't know.  You cannot leave the ship. You have to go back and see someone at Guest Services."

21 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

You keep missing the point. Law enforcenment was not involved. It was Royal Caribbean crew. Nor is there an investigation of possible unlawful activity. They have not yet gone to the customs checkpoint or gone past it. So there would not have been unlawful activity at that point  Depending on intent, that's the point

I'm not missing anything.  As I've stated over and over again, I'm not discussing what the ship or anybody else does.  My comments are only about Law Enforcement.  The crew was only doing what Law Enforcement was asking of them, that included not telling the subject what, EXACTLY, was going on. 

Believe it or not, many criminals are not very smart.  If a subject is questioned by CBP about the purchase, it is possible that the subject could make a spontaneous statement that he didn't have the money to pay the Duty and - -  excuse after excuse.  Hence, based upon the spontaneous statement of an offense/the intent.  How many LEOs in here have pulled driven by someone on a sidewalk and noticed a "Crack Pipe" sticking out of their pocket?  I'm sure there has been plenty or similar type stupidity.  A traffic stop and a gun poking out from under the seat.  Oh how about the LEO asks for permission to search the vehicle or person and the subject says sure, go ahead and they know that they have contraband in the vehicle or on the person. Stupid, for sure. 

EDITED IN:  And I was responding to nelblu

who's OP was about CBP and all he wanted was a explanation.  

Edited by Ret MP

8 hours ago, Ret MP said:

If you actually read my post completely, you'd see that I said that.  So, your point is?

I could ask you the same.  There is no point talking about criminals this and investigation that.  This is a customs issue between royal caribbean staff and a guest, no law enforcement officers involved and no crime either.

Could RCCL staff have reduced the potential awkwardness of a disembarkation customs faux pas with a simple notice upon purchase of the watch that put their guest over their limit?  Sure.  Was it necessary that they do so?  Nope.  Does it matter in the long run?  Maybe just to that guest who now has bad memories associated with their cruise line due to the awkwardness.  Does this have anything at all to do with LEOs and catching criminals and ridiculous what if nonsense scenarios about crack pipes and whatever else?  NOPE.

Let's all just move on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/23/2022 at 2:39 PM, PWP-001 said:

How easy it is to climb on a soap box and wag one's finger preaching personal responsibility.

We've already covered that ignorance of the law is no excuse.  Yet it seems from a number of posts here that many people are unaware or have forgotten since the customs form is not typically a part of cruise disembarkation like it used to be.

RCL is in the service industry, and anything simple that they can do to help their guests should be considered an extension of good service.

Imagine if you were to take the elevator down from your apartment, stop to talk with the concierge, and then walk off without picking your phone off the desk.  How would you feel upon returning 30 minutes later to find your phone on the desk and have the concierge state:  "oh, I watched you walk off and leave it there.  I could have said something, but you should learn to be a little more responsible with your valuables."  How would you feel towards the concierge, knowing they could have simply said:  "Excuse me, don't forget your phone," 30 minutes earlier?

It's really that simple, just as in my example.

RCL and every other cruise line is in the position where they could simply do a better job at informing passengers two nights prior to disembarkation.  I bet it would save a good deal of time and embarrassment for guests.  It might even increase duty fees collected from those who didn't know and otherwise might slip through the cracks.

And should the cruise line  include information for passengers from every developed country in the world?  NO:  common sense should prevail.  How difficult would it be for them to have this info available for USA, EU, UK and Canada-- or whichever countries their data shows at top countries for passengers.  For cruises disembarking in Asia, have it available for that particular country.

Of course this idea of courtesy on behalf of the cruise line would be a waste of time for those who are so personally responsible that they have informed themselves of every rule, regulation and practice that could even impact themselves.  But in their omniscient state, they are also aware that the majority of passengers would appreciate and benefit by this information.  Furthermore, they would also know that it's fruitless to change that human behavior. 

And, how easy is it to constantly blame others for the woes in one’s life.  Could the contractor who operates the stores on ship do a better job?  Yes.  RCL lists the info online.  Anyone who travels a little knows you have limits on what can be brought in duty free.  At the end of the day, the buyer is responsible. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, desibee said:

I could ask you the same.  There is no point talking about criminals this and investigation that.  This is a customs issue between royal caribbean staff and a guest, no law enforcement officers involved and no crime either.

Could RCCL staff have reduced the potential awkwardness of a disembarkation customs faux pas with a simple notice upon purchase of the watch that put their guest over their limit?  Sure.  Was it necessary that they do so?  Nope.  Does it matter in the long run?  Maybe just to that guest who now has bad memories associated with their cruise line due to the awkwardness.  Does this have anything at all to do with LEOs and catching criminals and ridiculous what if nonsense scenarios about crack pipes and whatever else?  NOPE.

Let's all just move on.

I suggest you go back to post #69 and before and catch-up as to why I got involved in this conversation and what has transpired since.  The you may understand but I have my doubts.

And yes, that is exactly what I'm going to do, MOVE ON!  Too many non-expert experts in this thread!  And it doesn't seem to do any good to try to get people to understand what is/was going on.

I'm out!  

On 10/21/2022 at 1:48 PM, OSUZorba said:

Really seems like this should just be handled with a credit card reader at the face scanners nowadays. IIRC my last cruise there wasn't even an opportunity to declare anything.

Same — last few cruises zero opportunity to declare anything — and I didn’t see anything in the ship departure notice, but admittedly didn’t  read every word.  When we flew in from Paris, the customs officer asked verbally, but they don’t ask in the cruise customs process.  Hopefully they come up with a better system for this, as no one should be put thru the kind of stress OP described for a simple tax collection on a purchase.

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. RCL personnel asked your son to come with them and clear something up with port authorities. I can understand why they don't want to announce why in front of lots of other disembarking passengers. It's nobody else's business. He went, they explained the reason, he paid the excise tax and all is well. Jeez. I don't get it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 10/21/2022 at 5:53 PM, nelblu said:

Yes, if they knew of the protocols and the hassle involved, I don't think that my son would have bought the watch on board.  Lesson learned.

And those sales people on board are probably also aware that if they disclose the information plenty of people will come to the same conclusion as you and decide not to purchase. Sales persons job is to make a sale. They are not necessarily going to provide non-required information. 

I have never made a large purchase on the ships but I've read these boards long enough to know what happens when someone does. I also got stopped once when leaving Oasis. I was told to go to guest services. The security person didn't tell me why and I doubt that he knew. Neither was he all warm and fuzzy about the situation, just a rather matter of fact attitude.

On 10/21/2022 at 6:33 PM, reallyitsmema said:

Or the guests could educate themselves before travelling and make sure they know what they are allowed to spend duty free and what they need to be prepared to declare.

Exactly. How many times do we read on these boards that when travelling it is one's responsibility to know the laws and customs of where they are going. However, somehow that doesn't seem to apply to the laws of one's own country? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/22/2022 at 7:23 AM, nelblu said:

I'd rather see the US Treasury send anyone a bill for any excesses over the limit, rather than being pulled out and isolated.

The US Treasury does not like to wait for its money. Wait a minute, maybe I should have worded that "our" money.😇

• Haha 1