Looking for a comprehensive guide to HIA drinks

BillderBo

In which venues are Have It All drinks free? In which places are they not free? 

Reading various topics, I get some clues, but I still don't have the comprehensive view. And most of the discussions cover alcoholic drinks more than non. Where are HIA drinks available?:

LIdo?

Dining room and Club Orange?

Special dining?

Bars?

Room service?

Explorations?

Theater and music venues?

Dutch Cafe?

Elsewhere?

Doesn't include mini-bar, if I understand correctly...right?

Which drinks? I know the limit is $11 and 15/day. but...

ALL specialty coffees?

Soft drinks?

Juice? (important to us due to dietary issues)

Are there other drinks within the $11 limit that are not included?

Gratuities for drinks?

Someone said you don't pay these for Have It All. Can someone confirm?

Is there a document/source that clearly spells out all of the ifs, ands and buts?

Additional drink questions:

-Do the ships (Rotterdam in our case) offer chai tea?

-How about smoothies?

Edited by BillderBo
added "ALL" to specialty coffees

Here's the latest info posted by Crews News

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Beverage-Packages-2021.pdf

The HIA Signature Beverage Package is not valid for Room Service, Mini Bar, HMC. Juice is free for breakfast. Any drink priced under the $11 menu price is included. Gratuities of 18% are included in the beverage package.

13 minutes ago, BillderBo said:

Reading various topics, I get some clues, but I still don't have the comprehensive view. And most of the discussions cover alcoholic drinks more than non. Where are HIA drinks available?:

LIdo?

Special dining?

Bars?

Room service?

Explorations?

Dutch Cafe?

Elsewhere?

Specialty coffees?

Soft drinks?

Gratuities for drinks?

Is there a document/source that clearly spells out all of the ifs, ands and buts?

-How about smoothies?

Here's HAL's HIA exclusions list:

"Package excludes purchases made in Signature Shops, Mini Bar and In-Room Dining, or beverages on Half Moon Cay".  Other than those locations, the package applies at all the other venues you listed.

The package does include specialty coffees, juices and soft drinks, except (i believe) for soft drinks from the Coca Cola Freestyle machines on the Pinnacle class ships.  It also includes waters but only 16 oz or less.  So the small Perrier bottles are included but not the large bottles.

Drink gratuities are included in the package price so any drink priced $11 or less has no additional charges to you.  Also, drinks with spirits in them (margaritas, for example) are priced at the spirits price only--no added charge for whatever specialty drink it is going in.

Be aware that a drink exceeding the $11 limit (a $12 glass of wine, for example) is charged at the full price plus 18% gratuity, not just the price difference above $11.

I can't speak to your chai tea and smoothie question---anyone else know?

7 minutes ago, AFNavigator said:

Here's HAL's HIA exclusions list:

"Package excludes purchases made in Signature Shops, Mini Bar and In-Room Dining, or beverages on Half Moon Cay".  Other than those locations, the package applies at all the other venues you listed.

The package does include specialty coffees, juices and soft drinks, except (i believe) for soft drinks from the Coca Cola Freestyle machines on the Pinnacle class ships.  It also includes waters but only 16 oz or less.  So the small Perrier bottles are included but not the large bottles.

Drink gratuities are included in the package price so any drink priced $11 or less has no additional charges to you.  Also, drinks with spirits in them (margaritas, for example) are priced at the spirits price only--no added charge for whatever specialty drink it is going in.

Be aware that a drink exceeding the $11 limit (a $12 glass of wine, for example) is charged at the full price plus 18% gratuity, not just the price difference above $11.

I can't speak to your chai tea and smoothie question---anyone else know?

Yes, Chai tea was available and covered at Exploration Cafe. Smoothies were also covered and listed on the pool bar menus. The Sip and Savor wine at $5 was not covered and milkshakes on Nieuw Statendam not covered as they are made at Gelato bar. Also the ' advertised martini tasting' at the Panorama Bar wasn't covered but the bartender made us several different martinis over the cruise and all were covered; chocolate martini, coffee martini, Appletini, Lemon drop. Just ask, the waiters will find you something that is covered by your package.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, catlet said:

Yes, Chai tea was available and covered at Exploration Cafe. Smoothies were also covered and listed on the pool bar menus. The Sip and Savor wine at $5 was not covered and milkshakes on Nieuw Statendam not covered as they are made at Gelato bar. Also the ' advertised martini tasting' at the Panorama Bar wasn't covered but the bartender made us several different martinis over the cruise and all were covered; chocolate martini, coffee martini, Appletini, Lemon drop. Just ask, the waiters will find you something that is covered by your package.

I love smoothies (got me through almost 3 years in adult braces), but depending on what the OP is looking for, the free ones at the bars may not cut it. I only ordered one once, and found it to be more like a "slushie" (like in Convenience stores) than a smoothie. You can get really good smoothies where they sell the Gelato, but sadly, not included. )-:

2 hours ago, BillderBo said:

LIdo?

Special dining?

Bars?

Room service?

Explorations?

Dutch Cafe?

Elsewhere?

ALL specialty coffees?

Soft drinks?

Gratuities for drinks?

-How about smoothies?

Here is the Explorations Cafe menu showing Chai tea:  Explorations Cafe Menu

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rodndonna said:

I love smoothies (got me through almost 3 years in adult braces), but depending on what the OP is looking for, the free ones at the bars may not cut it. I only ordered one once, and found it to be more like a "slushie" (like in Convenience stores) than a smoothie. You can get really good smoothies where they sell the Gelato, but sadly, not included. )-:

I’m not a smoothie person really but once in a blue moon I may have one.  I get totally disappointed when they taste like a slurpee.  I don’t get why people like them 🤮.

Thank you, Crew News.  Your web page is very helpful, especially those of us newer to HAL.  It is helpful to know the Dutch cafe food items have no $ attached, I incorrectly assumed they would.  Wondering about the open times of Dutch Cafe- it says 11:30 to 8 PM.  Does that mean no specialty coffee any earlier?   I know I can go to explorations cafe earlier to get my specialty coffee fix, but are there other places on the ships to get a specialty coffee in the morning (7-8AM)?  We will be on N Statendam for 2 weeks starting Nov 26, 2022.

27 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

Thank you, Crew News.  Your web page is very helpful, especially those of us newer to HAL.  It is helpful to know the Dutch cafe food items have no $ attached, I incorrectly assumed they would.  Wondering about the open times of Dutch Cafe- it says 11:30 to 8 PM.  Does that mean no specialty coffee any earlier?   I know I can go to explorations cafe earlier to get my specialty coffee fix, but are there other places on the ships to get a specialty coffee in the morning (7-8AM)?  We will be on N Statendam for 2 weeks starting Nov 26, 2022.

Just paying it forward for all that I have learned here on CC.

Grand Dutch Cafe food starts at 11:30 but coffee and pastries start at 7:00 AM.  Try the giant chocolate chip cookies that are so buttery you can't carry them in your fingers.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ms-nieuw-statendam-onboard-images-1/IMG_0319-Edit.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ms-nieuw-statendam-onboard-images-1/IMG_0318.jpg

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1

Crew News--  It all looks yummy.  I think I might remember when I met you on a ship.  But I could still be mistaken.  We were on Ms Nieuw Amsterdam in April of 2016 going through Panama Canal.  But the ship picked up passengers in San Diego, if I remember correctly,  who were going on to Alaska.  We disembarked in Seattle.  But there was a small M&G for those folks in the overlap.  Like I said, I could still be mistaken & have you mixed up with another regular CCer.  

Again, thank you for all you provide to these boards.

We are to be aboard Nieuw Amsterdam November 13-20.  This will be our first Holland America trip since before the pandemic.  Can anyone tell us if the Elite Signature Beverage Package (for all drinks up to $15) allows us to buy more expensive wines by the glass and pay the difference between $15 and the price of the more costly wine?  This is how it is done on Celebrity, but unsure of Holland's policy.  Thanks!

36 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

Crew News--  It all looks yummy.  I think I might remember when I met you on a ship.  But I could still be mistaken.  We were on Ms Nieuw Amsterdam in April of 2016 going through Panama Canal.  But the ship picked up passengers in San Diego, if I remember correctly,  who were going on to Alaska.  We disembarked in Seattle.  But there was a small M&G for those folks in the overlap.  Like I said, I could still be mistaken & have you mixed up with another regular CCer.  

Again, thank you for all you provide to these boards.

You are correct.  I boarded in San Diego and went on to Alaska with a stop in Seattle. So we met at the Meet & Greet. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, maxmtex said:

We are to be aboard Nieuw Amsterdam November 13-20.  This will be our first Holland America trip since before the pandemic.  Can anyone tell us if the Elite Signature Beverage Package (for all drinks up to $15) allows us to buy more expensive wines by the glass and pay the difference between $15 and the price of the more costly wine?  This is how it is done on Celebrity, but unsure of Holland's policy.  Thanks!

No.

30 minutes ago, Crew News said:

You are correct.  I boarded in San Diego and went on to Alaska with a stop in Seattle. So we met at the Meet & Greet. 

Ok, so I am not so crazy.  I met both you & your wife.  My hubby was the 1 armed guy who had just won a slot tournament making us late to the M&G.  It is wonderful to put a face with your screen name.  Thx for clarifying.

17 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

Ok, so I am not so crazy.  I met both you & your wife.  My hubby was the 1 armed guy who had just won a slot tournament making us late to the M&G.  It is wonderful to put a face with your screen name.  Thx for clarifying.

Now you are jogging my memory.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This summer when I was on the Nieuw Statendam crossing from Europe, we ordered milkshakes at the Dive In and didn't pay for them even though they were made in the Gelato place. I was glad I didn't realize that until later in the cruise. LOL

8 hours ago, maxmtex said:

Can anyone tell us if the Elite Signature Beverage Package (for all drinks up to $15) allows us to buy more expensive wines by the glass and pay the difference between $15 and the price of the more costly wine? 

As Roger tersely said, this is a NO. Any drink above your package limit ($11 for Signature and $15 for Elite) is paid for in full plus 18% service charge. The Westerdam AKA Testerdam did trial an "HIA and More" program in Alaska this summer allowing payment of just the overage plus 18%. There has been no report of this going fleet-wide.

9 hours ago, crystalspin said:

As Roger tersely said, this is a NO. Any drink above your package limit ($11 for Signature and $15 for Elite) is paid for in full plus 18% service charge. The Westerdam AKA Testerdam did trial an "HIA and More" program in Alaska this summer allowing payment of just the overage plus 18%. There has been no report of this going fleet-wide.

Someone on FB group said that it will be going fleet-wide 11/1.  I board NS this Saturday so I can find out if it is true.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, BillderBo said:

Someone said Dutch Cafe food is free. I just heard a vlogger say it is free only with drink purchase. Anyone know? I wonder if “drink purchase.” Anyone know how it works?

"Someone" obviously has not eaten the free food at the Grand Dutch Cafe.  There is no need to purchase a drink.  I pickup three almond cookies there everyday for snacks in my stateroom with no drink purchase.

A number of years ago, food in the Explorations Cafe was free if you purchased a drink but that purchase requirement was rescinded.

Edited by Crew News
  • Thanks 2