Pool chair hogs ?

doowopbob

Just now, KBs mum said:

Not booked with Carnival. Do not intend to under any circumstances. 

I'm basing timings on accepted norms in good quality not mass market hotels, which Viking claims to be the equivilent of, basically if you intend to park your arse elsewhere for a while you no longer have a claim on the chair you were sitting in. The 15 minutes is to allow for a brief absence with a margin for delay, such as that caused by a queue 

Totally agree with you about Carnival. Nor have I travelled with them. In fact the above photo reminded of a “beach club” in Vegas — one and done. 

But as both Curler Rob and I mentioned above, some pax would put up with 1 hour, some 30 minutes, others 15. How does Viking come up with a time limit that would cater to all?

5 minutes ago, millybess said:

Totally agree with you about Carnival. Nor have I travelled with them. In fact the above photo reminded of a “beach club” in Vegas — one and done. 

But as both Curler Rob and I mentioned above, some pax would put up with 1 hour, some 30 minutes, others 15. How does Viking come up with a time limit that would cater to all?

15 minutes allows for a visit to the facilities, with a margin for delay, the person is not intending to do something else before returning to the chair. Longer than that means the person has started doing something else or is sitting elsewhere, so their original seat should now be available for someone else. 

The 15 minutes would serve only as a guide for staff/crew to take belongings to lost property. Many land based establishments have similar guidelines

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

15 minutes allows for a visit to the facilities, with a margin for delay, the person is not intending to do something else before returning to the chair. Longer than that means the person has started doing something else or is sitting elsewhere, so their original seat should now be available for someone else. 

The 15 minutes would serve only as a guide for staff/crew to take belongings to lost property. Many land based establishments have similar guidelines

But what if I go to the washroom and then to the bar and the bartender has to make a complicated drink, like a mojito with Splenda and he/she has to go search for the Splenda. Is it my fault that I was gone for 16 minutes?

Edited by millybess
Typo
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, millybess said:

But what if I go to the washroom and then to the bar and the bartender has to make a complicated drink, like a mojito with Splenda and he/she has to go search for the Splenda. Is it my fault that I was gone for 16 minutes?

I know ----- let's have a hair splitting contest!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, millybess said:

Yes. Anyone who wants splenda in a mojoto has only themselves to blame😁

Also wash before leaving your room😊

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, duquephart said:

I know ----- let's have a hair splitting contest!

Hehe. That seems to be exactly what’s going on here.

IMO if you eye a chair that you want, and you watch it for an hour or so (like you have nothing else to do) and you see it’s still empty, complain and ask an attendant (?) to remove their stuff.

We all have our different opinions on what is an acceptable time limit. “Be right back” from breakfast for me is probably less than 20 minutes which is acceptable to you, but not to others!

6 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

And put a single sheet in each room notifying the guest of the policy, plus a few discretely posted around the decks.  Need Viking involvement to change this abuse.

On our Caribbean trip out of NYC just before Covid this was a big issue. There were obviously complaints because there was correspondence from Viking about no chair reserving. Unfortunately, it didn’t make a bit of difference. It’s incredibly rude to a) do this in the first place, and b) put a Viking staff member in a position to be hall monitoring.  That’s grade school garbage. After reading all of this, I do believe that if chairs are being ‘reserved’ for lengths of time in this manner, then placing the items elsewhere is not such a bad idea. We didn’t do a thing, and neither did Viking, so the pattern continued. I honestly do not know the solution, but self entitlement is disgusting on most levels IMHO. And this is nothing less than that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, millybess said:

Ok, I can definitely grab breakfast in less than 30 minutes in the World Cafe and be right back. Or lunch in the WC or Pool Grill in less than 30 minutes. 

Why not just grab a chair when you are done in the World Cafe…..seems like by this logic, you are grabbing a chair you aren’t going to sit in for a bit so no one else, who wants to sit in it at the time, does? 

It seems only fair that  if you grab a lounger, that you are ready to use that lounger. If you need to go to the facilities during that time, that’s one thing. Drinks can be brought to you happily by Viking staff. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Vineyard View said:

Why not just grab a chair when you are done in the World Cafe…..seems like by this logic, you are grabbing a chair you aren’t going to sit in for a bit so no one else, who wants to sit in it at the time, does? 

It seems only fair that  if you grab a lounger, that you are ready to use that lounger. If you need to go to the facilities during that time, that’s one thing. Drinks can be brought to you happily by Viking staff. 

Agreed!  It’s “the bit” that nobody can seem to agree on 😊

• Like 1

Calling people “piggish”, “rude”, “bad mannered”, “selfish”, “grabby” is just a form of bullying. This person asked a legitimate question and was verbally abused for doing so. 

Why not have a mature and substantive conversation about a topic which is of a concern to many others without throwing out belittling or disparaging adjectives?

If you want to contribute, come up with a plausible solution!

• Like 1

I meant to say, and maybe needed to be more clear, that when you grab a lounger, then you should be ready to use said lounger. Not grab it and then ‘leave for a bit’. It’s those who place their things on loungers, do not use them, and then come back ‘after a bit’ to do so that isn’t right. It’s also the same when people have been using a lounger, then go have breakfast, or lunch, and leave their belongings on the lounger - that just isn’t right. If you claim it, you should be ready to use it at that time you claim it. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

I meant to say, and maybe needed to be more clear, that when you grab a lounger, then you should be ready to use said lounger. Not grab it and then ‘leave for a bit’. It’s those who place their things on loungers, do not use them, and then come back ‘after a bit’ to do so that isn’t right. It’s also the same when people have been using a lounger, then go have breakfast, or lunch, and leave their belongings on the lounger - that just isn’t right. If you claim it, you should be ready to use it at that time you claim it. 

Absolutely agree with all you have said, but what is all over the place on this thread is the time limit of “the bit”. And to everyone “the bit” is different. 

2 hours ago, millybess said:

Calling people “piggish”, “rude”, “bad mannered”, “selfish”, “grabby” is just a form of bullying. This person asked a legitimate question and was verbally abused for doing so. 

Actually not. There’s a difference between expressing an opinion & characterizing behavior and calling people names. This has not been that.

• Like 2

So, in response to one of the questioners, I’d say just don’t do it. Don’t try to “reserve” a chair for any length of time. It seems to me that if you’re using a chair, and it’s obvious that others are searching for a seat too, if you need to quickly get something from your room, or use the bathroom, or order a drink, then you can ask others nearby to watch your spot for you and say you’ll be back in a couple of minutes. If a whole bunch of chairs are empty, you should have no trouble leaving and coming back in a very few minutes. Just no “reserving.” We all have balconies and chairs in our rooms after all.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I’ve never paid much attention to the loungers. When I’m in the pool area, I’m usually headed for a quick swim or for lunch at the Grille. I reserve my “hang out” time for other places on the ship.

Also, I don’t use the loungers for sunbathing. A diagnosis of Stage 4 metastatic melanoma, this year, has scared me away from sun exposure. 

That said, and having now been alerted to this important topic, I will keep an eye out for miscreants and scoundrels who abuse their pool privileges. There’s only one word for those disreputable people — “oink.”

• Like 3

We’ve done two Viking cruises to Norway and another to Australia/New Zealand - never seen anybody in the pool, much less lounging around it.  Guess the ‘chair hog’ thing is something we’ll look for in the future.  If you reserve a chair on your way to a meal, yes, you’re guilty of being a chair hog.  

• Like 1

I've been to a few cities that has parking garages that has lots of green & red lights overhead to indicate that a parking space is available, so a quick glance down the row will show which parking space is avail.

Both of our cars has airbag sensors & lights that indicate if there's a person sitting in front row passenger seat & whether the airbag is on or off.

So combining the 2 observations, I have a simple solution.

In the near future, these deck chairs will auto sense that if once a person's has left/vacated the seat, top of seat shows red light or red flag, internal timer starts, so let's say 15 minutes later & no one's (weight) sits down, light or flag will auto turns green, meaning chair is now avail for use.  

Thus a quick glance on deck will quickly shows if there's seat avail...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SJD117 said:

I’ve never paid much attention to the loungers. When I’m in the pool area, I’m usually headed for a quick swim or for lunch at the Grille. I reserve my “hang out” time for other places on the ship.

Also, I don’t use the loungers for sunbathing. A diagnosis of Stage 4 metastatic melanoma, this year, has scared me away from sun exposure. 

That said, and having now been alerted to this important topic, I will keep an eye out for miscreants and scoundrels who abuse their pool privileges. There’s only one word for those disreputable people — “oink.”

Nice to hear from you D. I have been wondering how you are doing. Best wishes for a full recovery. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, millybess said:

Just curious.  By these definitions, is one allowed to throw their stuff on a sea facing lounger, go to the World Cafe, grab a cappuccino in a cardboard cup and head back to the chair?  Or should one take all their stuff with them to the WC to grab the morning coffee?  Would this qualify as “grabbing a drink”. Just wondering 😊

Isn't the World Cafe on the way to most chairs?  Could you not get the coffee on the way to the chair?  I think hairs are being split here. 

I would also say that there is a difference between one vs. two chairs being reserved.  If you are sitting together as a couple then typically one would leave to go to the Loo or get a coffee/drink and the other stays at the lounger.  This is clearly not the case in some of the photos here.  Two chairs being held with a bag between them.  If you are sitting as a couple and you both leave, then you are on your way to an alternate activity.

There is also a more clear look of someone who is using a chair to who has dropped a bag or a book to hold it.

Edited by CDNPolar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

Isn't the World Cafe on the way to most chairs?  Could you not get the coffee on the way to the chair?  I think hairs are being split here. 

I would also say that there is a difference between one vs. two chairs being reserved.  If you are sitting together as a couple then typically one would leave to go to the Loo or get a coffee/drink and the other stays at the lounger.  This is clearly not the case in some of the photos here.  Two chairs being held with a bag between them.  If you are sitting as a couple and you both leave, then you are on your way to an alternate activity.

There is also a more clear look of someone who is using a chair to who has dropped a bag or a book to hold it.

Indeed, it's splitting hairs.  From our normal location the chairs are on the way to the coffee.  🙂  I agree with you about 2 chairs being saved in such a manner and that the 2 people are probably on their way to an alternate activity.  But, it seems that on this thread, that isn't the only issue.

There are people who legitimately leave the chairs for 5 minutes, 10 minutes, but there are many that toss something on the chair way in advance to when they want to use it.

For us, this is just an odd thing.  If we feel we want to sit somewhere, we go there and if the chairs are full, we go somewhere else.  We always find somewhere to sit.

I have friends that go to an all inclusive in Mexico and I listen to them talk about how now they have to get up at 4:45am to 5:00am to get the chairs that they want - their favourite chairs.  They set an alarm, get up, put a towel and a book on two chairs and then go back to bed, then get up have breakfast and they finally make it to the chairs by about 9:30am or 10:00am.  I just don't get this, this is not how I want to vacation.

I have been to resorts like this and we go down for breakfast at 8am and almost every chair has something on it but NO ONE is sitting in the chairs.  Seems a bit unfair to me.  I am ready to sit, but there is no where to sit because they have all been "claimed".

• Like 6

4 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I have friends that go to an all inclusive in Mexico and I listen to them talk about how now they have to get up at 4:45am to 5:00am to get the chairs that they want - their favourite chairs.  They set an alarm, get up, put a towel and a book on two chairs and then go back to bed, then get up have breakfast and they finally make it to the chairs by about 9:30am or 10:00am.  I just don't get this, this is not how I want to vacation.

I have been to resorts like this and we go down for breakfast at 8am and almost every chair has something on it but NO ONE is sitting in the chairs.  Seems a bit unfair to me.  I am ready to sit, but there is no where to sit because they have all been "claimed".

Then return to the chair to find somebody who doesn't give a flying foxtrot has chucked the items onto the floor (after checking for the toilet visit factor) and sat down 

Edited by KBs mum
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

So, in response to one of the questioners, I’d say just don’t do it. Don’t try to “reserve” a chair for any length of time. It seems to me that if you’re using a chair, and it’s obvious that others are searching for a seat too, if you need to quickly get something from your room, or use the bathroom, or order a drink, then you can ask others nearby to watch your spot for you and say you’ll be back in a couple of minutes. If a whole bunch of chairs are empty, you should have no trouble leaving and coming back in a very few minutes. Just no “reserving.” We all have balconies and chairs in our rooms after all.

I think this is perfectly stated!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 10/30/2022 at 3:55 AM, NavyCruiser said:

So combining the 2 observations, I have a simple solution.

In the near future, these deck chairs will auto sense that if once a person's has left/vacated the seat, top of seat shows red light or red flag, internal timer starts, so let's say 15 minutes later & no one's (weight) sits down, light or flag will auto turns green, meaning chair is now avail for use.  

Thus a quick glance on deck will quickly shows if there's seat avail...

Ha! I knew I’d find a use one day for this crash-test dummy … 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1