Quantum of the Seas berthing at Brisbane on 9 News, 1st November

7 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Channel 9 news showed Quantum of the Seas berthing at Brisbane, 1/11.  They also showed film of passengers enjoying the sun, taken by a passenger.  The number of passengers with Covid was secondary.   

Yes, but last night the 🤬 headline was

focusing on Covid....

Then, during the segment it was something like 0.4%

I don't think too many Ch 9 people will get free cruises any time soon.  

11 minutes ago, buchhalm said:

focusing on Covid....

I had no idea what .4% was.  Why not advise the number of positive passengers?

20 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

They quote a percentage because, different ships have varying numbers of passengers (pax), thus they can compare apples with apples so to speak.

200 with covid on a small ship is a higher ratio of concern, to 200 on a 4000pax ship.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ozwoody said:

They quote a percentage because, different ships have varying numbers of passengers (pax), thus they can compare apples with apples so to speak.

200 with covid on a small ship is a higher ratio of concern, to 200 on a 4000pax ship.

Not to me it isn't!  It only takes one positive person close to you to spread the virus, which is why we wear masks. 

15 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Not to me it isn't!  It only takes one positive person close to you to spread the virus, which is why we wear masks. 

But on a ship with 4,000 passengers and one positive case, it is likely you would never encounter that person.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Its always good to be careful around people, and wear masked, with you on that.

But their looking at it from a government health point of view, so they can rate the ships into their defined tier groups.

Cruise line like to keep their ships in the tier 1 range group. which is "Threshold: 0-3% COVID-19 positive".

With the hysteria in the media over cruising, it understandable cruising companies are sensitive to the words they use.

And yes we plan to use masks when we can't distance effectively.😷😁

Back onto that old topic again - but I really can't understand people who are anxious about the possibility of coming across one person with Covid - when they didn't ever have the same worry about Influenza in the past - and they also drive around in a car on those maniacal Motorways North and South of Brisbane. Anyway , to each their own - but WE don't wear masks now (at least I don't) - if I did , I would be doing it for the rest of my life because that is how long Respiratory viruses of one type or another will be around. 

• Like 1

The intermittent wearing of masks is one of the leading spreaders of covid. Continually putting on or off to eat and touching it and your face is the problem as people believe because they have a mask they are somehow protected. Masks have a much bigger benefit for those with it to stop them spreading it.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, NSWP said:

So Quantum of the Seas is now releasing a few hundred Covid cases into the Qld population.   Should all go in to quarantine in that camp Anna P built up there. 

I understand your concern, but you don't even have to test or isolate on land so why should people coming off a cruise ship be any different?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, joejoe 59 said:

I understand your concern, but you don't even have to test or isolate on land so why should people coming off a cruise ship be any different?

But are we not trying to control the lurgy?

Or have we thrown the towel in like USA and UK. Do not answer, the towel is in the ring and the horse has bolted.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

But are we not trying to control the lurgy?

Or have we thrown the towel in like USA and UK. Do not answer, the towel is in the ring and the horse has bolted.

It’s like trying to control the cougars uncle Les ,total submission is the easiest path .

• Haha 2

On 11/1/2022 at 7:50 AM, buchhalm said:

focusing on Covid....

I don't know where their 0.4% came from. They had to open a second quarantine block during the cruise, so they have managed that better than Lazarus to get the number back down so low (20 - 30 passengers)

On 11/1/2022 at 8:03 AM, MMDown Under said:

Nominal passenger number + nominal crew number = total aboard. Multiply by 0.004 should give a number in the 20's.

They advise %, as that is what the government tiers are based on. The 300ish number presently on Coral Princess would be vastly different for Coral Adventurer.

On 11/1/2022 at 12:38 PM, bretts173 said:

The intermittent wearing of masks is one of the leading spreaders of covid. Continually putting on or off to eat and touching it and your face is the problem as people believe because they have a mask they are somehow protected. Masks have a much bigger benefit for those with it to stop them spreading it.

Agreed, I have seen people wearing them on their wrists waving their arms around.

Lots of people on the back row when they gave out common sense.

Cheers Carole

On 11/1/2022 at 2:31 PM, joejoe 59 said:

I'll get slammed for saying this but maybe because they're carrying the new strains from overseas? If we could keep that down we could avoid the next wave of covid which is coming.

And also, I think people 'on land' should still be testing and keeping to themselves if they're sick. Just as you should if you've got any other transmissable disease.

• Like 2