Asia 2024 - Something Interesting at Play....

jeremybe

Just put in you departure port, like Yokohama cruise port schedules and various websites will come up with various ship schedules. Put in your departure date. I’m leaving April 9, 2024 and it doesn’t show the millennium.  I can’t really find where the millennium ship is from the end of February until the April 21st, 2024.  The April 21st cruise is listed.

I also check my Bali cruise out of Singapore January 16, 2024 also on millennium and it is listed.  So, the other ones I think are questionable 

7 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

What about cruises for the Millenium in Dec 2023?  The countries are a bit different.  Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, and Bali.  It would seem that these countries do not have the tight restrictions that China, Hong Kong, and Japan have?

If the cruise is cancelled will the current cruisers get first shot at cabins to wherever the ship is redeployed?  Probably the Carribean.

7 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

What about cruises for the Millenium in Dec 2023?  The countries are a bit different.  Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, and Bali.  It would seem that these countries do not have the tight restrictions that China, Hong Kong, and Japan have?

If the cruise is cancelled will the current cruisers get first shot at cabins to wherever the ship is redeployed?  Probably the Carribean.

We are on the April 9th Millenium sailing too. Our third, or is it fourth attempt! Japan is open so must be a Celebrity thing. Just hope they make a decision and tell us in the next few months as I will need to book flights end April to catch the airmiles Business seats. Would be happy enough changing to April 2025 but certainly not a Caribbean alternative.

Celebrity are offering Japan year round now. However does the climate suit this? Very hot in Summer and cyclones in Fall. Most cruise lines sail there in the Spring for a reason.

First, we are booked on B2B March 28/April 9, 2024...We first booked this back in 2019 and have lifted and shifted each time they have canceled...

Having noted that, here goes:

I think everyone should try to calm down a bit...

Over the last few years, we have all learned to deal with cruise cancelation anxiety...so, it is understandable why so many panic at the slightest hint of anything unexpected.  HOWEVER, there is really NOTHING all that unusual going on here.

First of all, a little history:  Although things were actually opening up...or about to open up, Celebrity canceled the 2022-2023 Asia season...Why?  Because they tend to schedule by season, not by individual cruises.  So, when they would have sent a ship to Asia for the start of the season, things were not yet open...so, the decision was to NOT send a ship, thereby, canceling the entire "season"...and causing those booked...or interested...to move on to the 2023-2024 season. In addition, they reassigned deployments so, rather than the 2,850 passenger Solstice scheduled for 2022-2023, they , instead, are sending the 2,200 passenger Millennium (This is important in understanding the "sold out" situation).

With the 2023-24 season having so many sell outs, they subsequently made the decision to EXTEND the season to a "year-round" deployment...opening the entire rest of the year in Asian cruises to meet the demand.  All of that demonstrates Celebrity's commitment to the itineraries.

So, WHY are most of the 2023-24 cruises not showing up on the website?  Simply, it is because they are truly sold out.  And they are sold out beyond the typical sell-outs.  What cruise lines do is to sell a cruise until all cabins are spoken for--either booked by individuals or committed to groups or, perhaps, reserved by the cruise lines for emergencies.  Once all cabins are committed, they will, typically, continue selling the cruise, but with only "Guarantee" rates...because they know, from years of experience, that a percentage of the cabins will come back to them--through groups giving back unsold cabins or through cancelations.   There is a number or a percentage at which they feel comfortable that they will, eventually, be able to get back enough cabins to cover.  BUT, when they exceed that comfort level, they will remove the sailing from their website and stop selling the cruise.

Most of these cruises are at that point.  Remember that:  1)  There is a FOUR YEAR BACKLOG of bookings "lifted-and-shifted"  AND 2)  Every cruise for the 2023-24 season has a 650 passenger DEFICIT in cabin availability by reason of the change in ship.  Basically, AS SOON AS the 2022-23  cruises were canceled, the 2023-24 cruises were already near capacity --or even oversold.  Add in the new bookings made specifically for the new season and, quite simply, Celebrity could not risk making any additional bookings--hence, the cruises have largely gone "off the board".

As to Shore Excursions appearing and disappearing, that is a function of two things.  First, the cruise lines do not do their own shorexes--they contract with local providers in each port AND with most cruises post-pandemic, those local providers are in a state of flux.  Many providers didn't survive the pandemic while others haven't yet figured out what can be done.  Guessing at what they can provide in 2024 is still largely questionable.  Second, and maybe more important is that the Celebrity IT folks are just not always all that competent.  The site often suffers major glitches.  Things going on the website or coming off are often just the usual par-for-the-course glitches--nothing more, nothing less.  Same goes with YOUR booking disappearing and reappearing.

Bottom line is that I am fairly confident that I will be onboard the Millennium come March/April 2024 enjoying my Japan cruises.  I will not panic...and I encourage everyone else to stay calm...and continue planning those cruise trips...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I'm just calling out that it's odd that the ships are jam packed for weeks (to the point they are not selling any more cabins), yet the weeks before and after have tons of availability - not a little bit - a lot.... I don't know what isn't odd about that? I'm not suggesting a conspiracy. But the load is not evenly spread and there is no explanation for it.

I think there is a lot of misunderstanding in this thread - including the assumption that people asking questions are nervous wrecks who can't make a decision - absolutely not the case, I thought speculation and discussion were at the heart of what CC is about.

7 hours ago, Ocdublin said:

Just put in you departure port, like Yokohama cruise port schedules and various websites will come up with various ship schedules. Put in your departure date. I’m leaving April 9, 2024 and it doesn’t show the millennium.  I can’t really find where the millennium ship is from the end of February until the April 21st, 2024.  The April 21st cruise is listed.

I also check my Bali cruise out of Singapore January 16, 2024 also on millennium and it is listed.  So, the other ones I think are questionable 

You are on the Bali cruise right after ours.  Good to hear that it is listed.

Thanks, BruinsSteve for the excellent reminder of what we went through with all the various “lift and shift” maneuvers.  But like Ocdublin I have some concerns that millennium does not show on port schedules for my April 9 2024 cruise.  Knowing that it is sold out, I don’t expect to see it on the Celebrity website, but I would think that the port arrangements should be showing. Not in panic mode by any mean, just watchful and wary.

5 hours ago, Captain-John said:

One thing I don't understand is we have all these sold out sailings, yet the sailings that have availability, have *a lot* of cabins available. Why such extremes?

Japan has a very certain "high season"--Cherry Blossom season...Those Spring cruises have always sold out early...this next year, it's magnified due to everything I discussed above.  Those cruises are sold out.  2024 cruises AFTER the April 9 cruise were only RECENTLY announced--those have space. The ones prior to that have been, basically, sold and booked since the beginning of the pandemic.

Whichever ship has been assigned this route--for 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023--was originally scheduled to do a "Transpacific" cruise at the end of April to bring the ship back to Vancouver for the Alaska summer season.  After announcing 2024 Japan Spring Season cruises, they held out for a long time before announcing the schedule for late April on, hence, no one had the ability to book those dates until recently.

As to those searching for port schedule sights, the explanation there is simple.  First, realize that many of those sites are NOT OFFICIAL.  They are operated by various entities, not by the city port authority...and they have mostly just failed to update.  Largely, this is because the Japanese cities/port authorities have not yet updated their own sites. The sort of let them fall into disuse over the course of the shutdown.  For example, the OFFICIAL website for the City of Yokohama (The embarkation/disembarkation port for Millennium) has NOT been updated since February.  When you go to the site, you get only this comment:

"Amid the spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19), our cruises have been suspended.
We will update the information when the cruises restart.
Thank you for your patience and understanding during this time."

https://www.city.yokohama.lg.jp/lang/overseas/port/cruise/Schedule.html

This is NOT an indication of a problem with the cruises, merely a problem with the website.  And, with cruises not scheduled to arrive for some months yet, they are in no hurry to update.  When they do, other sites will start reflecting the official information.  Again, PATIENCE...  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

Those cruises are sold out.  2024 cruises AFTER the April 9 cruise were only RECENTLY announced--those have space. The ones prior to that have been, basically, sold and booked since the beginning of the pandemic.

After announcing 2024 Japan Spring Season cruises, they held out for a long time before announcing the schedule for late April on, hence, no one had the ability to book those dates until recently.

That makes perfect sense, thank you very much. 🙂

Port schedules are not a great indicator on whether a cruise will happen or not even if you are looking the schedule on the official port website.  If you see your ship listed, yes, that's a good thing.  However if you don't see your ship listed, it could mean anything.  

Edited by mahdnc

Well I've booked the 05/27/24 sailing on Millenium. Reasonable deal with a good chunk of OBC and drinks/WiFi/gratuities all paid. Looking forward to it - first time in Japan and first time on X.

Edited by Captain-John
  • Like 1

I am looking at 4/21/24 sailing for the Millennium.  We were on that ship for Alaska a few years back and loved it.  I was thinking about doing Japan on land with a base of Tokyo and Kyoto.  My only hesitancy is that this does the overnight in Osaka for Kyoto.  I suppose we could get a hotel in Kyoto as I'd like to experience the nightlife there.  I don't see any other cruise options (don't like itineraries or food on Princess).

I started this thread and it has been interesting to watch its evolution - I too hope our sailings go off as planned - I am booked on the March 16th sailing myself after having been booked on the very first Celebrity cruise booked that was cancelled due to covid (leaving from Hong Kong).

I thought I would share what is on the Travel Agent booking site for Celebrity - If you look at their calendar, the Millenium is showing ZERO sailings in Feb - There is a Jan 28 sailing from Bali to Singapore that has rooms available - Then you have a month where the Millenium just disappears.... A dry dock?!?! Who knows?

Also, I had received 2 mysterious emails "welcoming me aboard my Milllenium Asia 2024 sailing" - Did anyone else get these? I have other Celebrity sailings booked so it was very odd...

Screenshot 2023-01-08 at 7.23.06 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-08 at 7.22.53 PM.png

My April 9 cruise is now showing as “red” to the booking agents I just spoke to today on Equinox.  They said that means “charter”.  Did all of the March cruises and the cruise are now chartered.   I would feel a lot better if one of our knowledgeable Cruise Critic travel agents could do a little research into this please.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2022 at 6:58 AM, Captain-John said:

I'm just calling out that it's odd that the ships are jam packed for weeks (to the point they are not selling any more cabins), yet the weeks before and after have tons of availability - not a little bit - a lot.... I don't know what isn't odd about that? I'm not suggesting a conspiracy. But the load is not evenly spread and there is no explanation for it.

I think there is a lot of misunderstanding in this thread - including the assumption that people asking questions are nervous wrecks who can't make a decision - absolutely not the case, I thought speculation and discussion were at the heart of what CC is about.

could be the itinerary or the ship itself is boring to some.  

Or perhaps some went on sale with good prices.  either way you have a right to ponder.

• Thanks 1

On 1/13/2023 at 3:44 PM, cruisestitch said:

My April 9 cruise is now showing as “red” to the booking agents I just spoke to today on Equinox.  They said that means “charter”.  Did all of the March cruises and the cruise are now chartered.   I would feel a lot better if one of our knowledgeable Cruise Critic travel agents could do a little research into this please.

I'm a travel agent.... When I spoke with Celebrity last week they told me these sailings were "RED" as well, but stated that it meant the cruise was oversold - I do not think they know any more than we do

• Thanks 1

Thank you. I am now going to see if I can figure out who might have chartered the ship for all of those March dates. Although I don’t have a lot of hope because they are likely to be Japanese organizations that did the charter. But still if I could find even one, that would help me understand what is going on. I’m not usually a person who panics or always sees gloom and doom, but this has me nervous.  When I touched base with a celebrity booking agent today, she said, “I don’t think you’ll be sailing on that cruise” so time will tell……

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Thank you. I am now going to see if I can figure out who might have chartered the ship for all of those March dates. Although I don’t have a lot of hope because they are likely to be Japanese organizations that did the charter. But still if I could find even one, that would help me understand what is going on. I’m not usually a person who panics or always sees gloom and doom, but this has me nervous.  When I touched base with a celebrity booking agent today, she said, “I don’t think you’ll be sailing on that cruise” so time will tell……

I really hope this post was "tongue-in-cheek"...

They are NOT chartered...

NO cruiseline would take a sailing that is already sold out and make a deal to charter it...There is ZERO financial value in doing that...and they would have an incredible number of headaches having to reschedule and otherwise deal with a large number of customers.  You only do a charter deal early in the process--when few (or no) cabins have yet to be booked...

• Like 2

18 hours ago, jeremybe said:

I'm a travel agent.... When I spoke with Celebrity last week they told me these sailings were "RED" as well, but stated that it meant the cruise was oversold - I do not think they know any more than we do

Perhaps the cruise is sold out?