Tip Breakdown on NCL

pajazz28

18 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I'm not sure that would make any difference for anybody.  I like that they charge it separately as a discretionary charge, because it creates the idea (illusion?) that we've already paid "tips" and that any additional tips are just for over and above service for an entertainer/waiter/bartender/etc. who has made our cruise extra enjoyable.  

I suppose, but there are some cruise lines which roll everything into the cost which would just be cleaner.  I liken it to looking for an airfare.  You see a great rate but -- oops! -- it doesn't include taxes, seat charges, baggage fees etc.  I definitely want grats included; like you, I often throw a little extra to crew for excellent service but I'd go crazy if I felt I had to tip everyone I came into contact with.

I'm clearly stating this is not a fact, but rather my GUESS that it goes something like this:

Total all the DSC for a sailing, then:
25% cabin stewards and housekeeping

25% food service

15% all other eligible "behind the scenes"  classifications (e.g., hourly workers)

10% all other classifications that get tipped from another pool (e.g. bartenders, specialty restaurant staff)

25% retained by NCL for bonus and incentive programs (e.g., vacation hero type stuff, prizes, cash bonuses, signing bonuses, retention bonuses, staff morale building activities)

Guessing those in higher percentage tip pools are asked to turn in any additional tips and note which stateroom they came from, and if that stateroom removes DSC, they loose those funds. If that stateroom keeps on DSC, then they get it back. More realistically, they don't disclose them and risk getting gigged for it because it's hard to prove. 

That's been my guess about how things operate, but I don't know.

On 11/8/2022 at 11:41 AM, The Black Page said:

You are talking about the Daily Service Charge, not tips.  While may claim to know who gets what wile others swear that"NCL keeps it all for added profit", no one outside of NCL knows how the DSC funds are distributed.

The daily service charge are tips. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, weltek said:

I'm clearly stating this is not a fact, but rather my GUESS that it goes something like this:

Total all the DSC for a sailing, then:
25% cabin stewards and housekeeping

25% food service

15% all other eligible "behind the scenes"  classifications (e.g., hourly workers)

10% all other classifications that get tipped from another pool (e.g. bartenders, specialty restaurant staff)

25% retained by NCL for bonus and incentive programs (e.g., vacation hero type stuff, prizes, cash bonuses, signing bonuses, retention bonuses, staff morale building activities)

Guessing those in higher percentage tip pools are asked to turn in any additional tips and note which stateroom they came from, and if that stateroom removes DSC, they loose those funds. If that stateroom keeps on DSC, then they get it back. More realistically, they don't disclose them and risk getting gigged for it because it's hard to prove. 

That's been my guess about how things operate, but I don't know.

A decent amount of the DSC goes to general crew enrichment. Entertainment, parties, etc. 

And remember, a chunk of the DCS goes to getting crew members up to their minimum contract value before they really are being "tipped". It's the same around my home town. While the minimum wage is $15/hour. If you are in a job that gets tips (waiter), an employer can pay you as little as $5/hour. And the first $10/hour (per hour) of your tips go to get you up to minimum wage. And that's a lot considering that a lot of folks leave lose change for tips in the corner cafe. 

22 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I suppose you're new to Cruise Critic...but opinions are the backbone of the site. If they weren't....well it wouldn't be so interesting. 

Anyway, welcome? 

Opinions are one thing, but they become something quite different when they are expressed as facts instead of as an opinion.

• Like 3

I laugh all the time when people think they know.  Who cares where the tips go.  Cruise lines like hotels find extra way to increase the price.  So you pay the price.  If the cruise lines want to say the extra charge is DSC so be it.  If they want to tell us how much it is, well that is good.   If you want to think that DSC is the same as tips, you have the right to do so.  And if at the end of the cruise you feel that you already paid tips, that is your right.  And those of you that like to tip additionally, great.

Having spent 25 years in the restaurant business, I know how hard it is to be in the customer service business.   I'm a morning person.  I even tip the deck hands who set up the lounge chairs every morning.  Fantastic conversation watching the sunrise now that is excellent customer service.  Or the same person every morning cleaning the handrails and elevators.  Once again eye contact, a pleasant smile and a good morning.  Great customer service.  Give me great and personal customer service, I will find a way to say thank you.  And then there were cruises I didn't tip extra.  If you never use a service, why tip extra.

I know who and how I tip and could care less how others do.  Nobody knows and nobody cares.  Maybe we can end this silly topic until someone complains again.  

Happy cruising.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 8:25 AM, The Black Page said:

Thanks for your OPINION

On 11/9/2022 at 8:28 AM, The Black Page said:

And we have yet another OPINION. 🙂

Actually, those were statements.  They may or may not be true.  They were not opinions.  

If your are trying to tell us those were false statements, then cite a source.  Otherwise your words are no different than those that you quoted.

On 11/9/2022 at 7:42 AM, graphicguy said:

Agree.  I believe the variable portion is based, at least in large part, on the customer satisfaction surveys, as the crew seems to push for a “great” review pretty heavily.

As far as wages, you have to add in the fact that their room and board is “free”, too.  That’s a big portion of the compensation.

Also one must consider the fact that the crew is making substantially higher wages than they would in their home country.  I remember a bartender on RCCI who had made three contracts with the line and was only going to do two more.  He claimed that in those five contracts he would make enough to support his family plus saving enough to build his dream home in Croatia.

• Like 1

I have often stayed at all-inclusive resorts (Mexico, Jamaica, Dominican Republic), where despite the all-inclusiveness it is still commonplace that services are tipped regularly. Singles and fives are passed for drinks and service regularly. It isn’t “expected” but extremely normal and appreciated in word and service. 

Some travelers dislike this, but the many people accept it as a way of doing business. 

What is your experience with tip as you go on NCL?

2 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

PS - I am aware that gratuities are already included and I will be paying the DSC as well. I will be your basic inside cabin guy with the FAS drink package. Just curious about daily tipping for stewards, bartenders, servers, etc. 

If gratuities are included then what are the additional DSC costs?  Do what you think is right.  7 drinks a day by 7 different crew members per person.   One to two dollars each time.  Does a bottle of water require a tip?   The dining room.  Will you tip after each meal?  $10 to $20   Fine dining, will you tip special because it is supposed to be.   Over a seven day cruise.  Only you know your budget.

Tips are between you and the person who receives it.  No other cruisers care what you tip.  It is  private.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

What is your experience with tip as you go on NCL?

It certainly isn't expected as you imply some other resorts it is.

Generally speaking, we only regularly provide an additional tip to bar servers.  It is our attempt to buy better service at high volume bars (e.g. pool, atrium).  Beyond that, we'll tip extra if someone does what we consider to be extra services for us.  Generally we are NOT giving extra tips to dining room servers or cabin stewards.  On our last cruise on Bliss, I have no recollection of our cabin steward, I think we may have seen him but never asked anything of him (and that is typical for us).  

• Thanks 1

On 11/8/2022 at 11:41 AM, All-ready2cruise said:

I doubt it. I could be wrong of course. 

IMO, it's none of our business. 

"IMO, it's none of our business."       Really!?  But when someone questions the forced tipping policies developed by the Cruise Lines who underpay their employees and expect us to cover them they are lambastered. I'm tired of people telling me what I should or shouldn't do.

On 11/9/2022 at 8:34 AM, cruiseny4life said:

I suppose you're new to Cruise Critic...but opinions are the backbone of the site. 

The one who is complaining about opinions have 25 posts logged in.  That makes you a Gold Status Member.  Congrats!

Edited by glentally

4 hours ago, pickle11 said:

If gratuities are included then what are the additional DSC costs?  Do what you think is right.  7 drinks a day by 7 different crew members per person.   One to two dollars each time.  Does a bottle of water require a tip?   The dining room.  Will you tip after each meal?  $10 to $20   Fine dining, will you tip special because it is supposed to be.   Over a seven day cruise.  Only you know your budget.

Tips are between you and the person who receives it.  No other cruisers care what you tip.  It is  private.

Can I cancel the pretips BEFORE I get onboard?

2 hours ago, glentally said:

Can I cancel the pretips BEFORE I get onboard?

All depends on how you book.  Or if you prepay during checkin.   Otherwise the DCS will be a daily charge to your on board account.  And towards the end of your cruise and you think you received minimum service you can go to guest services and have them all removed.

You can tip all you want or you can be cheap and not tip at all.

1 minute ago, pickle11 said:

All depends on how you book.  Or if you prepay during checkin.   Otherwise the DCS will be a daily charge to your on board account.  And towards the end of your cruise and you think you received minimum service you can go to guest services and have them all removed.

You can tip all you want or you can be cheap and not tip at all.

Do you think this happens often? People asking for all of it to be removed? (Regardless of whether service was indeed minimal or just an excuse to outlay less money?)

25 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Do you think this happens often? People asking for all of it to be removed? (Regardless of whether service was indeed minimal or just an excuse to outlay less money?)

NO.  But it has been a topic.  Taking away DSC.  So I believe that if it has been discussed, it has been done.  I learned it here on CC.  I am Diamond but I did  it once 10 years ago ( I was gold and I was cheap and lacking funds).   I received very bad service the cruise lines quit handing out tip envelops.  It was then I started tipping the stairwell  and elevator cleaner,  the deck hand who sets us the chairs.  And remember washy-washy.  They always got a $20 out of me.  

Well I am still cheap  but do recognize just even good customer service.  I have 30 years in the customer service business in restaurants and grocery stores.

Like I mentioned, the tip is between you and the crew member and nobody else.

Maybe if I cruise with you one time I can receive a tip for my wonderful thoughts here on CC.  I remember when we used to tip the omelette maker.  And some still do out of habit.

Edited by pickle11

24 minutes ago, pickle11 said:

NO.  But it has been a topic.  Taking away DSC.  So I believe that if it has been discussed, it has been done.  I learned it here on CC.  I am Diamond but I did  it once 10 years ago ( I was gold and I was cheap and lacking funds).   I received very bad service the cruise lines quit handing out tip envelops.  It was then I started tipping the stairwell  and elevator cleaner,  the deck hand who sets us the chairs.  And remember washy-washy.  They always got a $20 out of me.  

Well I am still cheap  but do recognize just even good customer service.  I have 30 years in the customer service business in restaurants and grocery stores.

Like I mentioned, the tip is between you and the crew member and nobody else.

Maybe if I cruise with you one time I can receive a tip for my wonderful thoughts here on CC.  I remember when we used to tip the omelette maker.  And some still do out of habit.

I tip. Out of gratitude, yes. But it is also a self-aggrandizing practice. I would tip for your opinion and advice. Definitely!