Cancer cancellation

SFCGary

Hi, my wife and I booked our very first cruise back a few ago. Our cruise is scheduled for next February for our 30th anniversary. Unfortunately, I just got diagnosed with cancer, with surgery and/or treatment probably taking place in the next 3-4 months. We did NOT purchase cancellation insurance...and honestly, don't want to cancel. If we are forced to, what possibilities do I have of getting refunded in this cruise, or possibly a future credit. Again, we do not want to cancel...but may not have a choice...

14 minutes ago, SFCGary said:

Hi, my wife and I booked our very first cruise back a few ago. Our cruise is scheduled for next February for our 30th anniversary. Unfortunately, I just got diagnosed with cancer, with surgery and/or treatment probably taking place in the next 3-4 months. We did NOT purchase cancellation insurance...and honestly, don't want to cancel. If we are forced to, what possibilities do I have of getting refunded in this cruise, or possibly a future credit. Again, we do not want to cancel...but may not have a choice...

Welcome to CC, sorry to hear of your troubles.   I would ask this on the forum for whichever line you are cruising on.   Different lines have different cancellation policies.

In addition to the above some lines may be a bit more flexible if you ask to transfer the cruise instead of cancelling, but again this is going to vary by cruise line. Also it is best to do this before the final payment date if at all possible. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SFCGary said:

Hi, my wife and I booked our very first cruise back a few ago. Our cruise is scheduled for next February for our 30th anniversary. Unfortunately, I just got diagnosed with cancer...

Gary, welcome to Cruise Critic, sorry it's under these circumstances.

What is the cruiseline. My familiarity is with HAL and most Final Payment dates at 90-days before sailing. So if that were the case, you'll be coming right up on it. Now, my HAL Personal Cruise Consultant never lets me book with a non-refundable deposit when it is far out... but my one cruise with Carnival, the refundable deposit fare was hidden, and their "planner" let me book anyway.

So it does matter what line and what convention or promotion you booked under. Possibly also if you booked with a TA (including big-box, or on-line), through the line's Consultant, or just on a website.

If it’s after final payment I don’t think there is much you can do, since insurance is always offered when booking. When we booked our first cruise, I honestly had no idea that no refunds are given after final payment, or that our health insurance would not offer coverage outside of the US, I purchased it every single time since. Best wishes for you.

OP, if you can't cancel before final payment (and I understand why) do make sure that you cancel as soon as you are sure you won't be going. Most cruise lines have a graduated scale on how much of the fare is forfeited after final payment and before a certain cutoff where 100% is forfeited. 

14 day cruise through Holland America...we have until the 20th of November to pay in full, also my PET scan is scheduled for the 20th. We won't know details in time to make a very educated decision. The timing is just horrible...

On 11/10/2022 at 8:28 AM, SFCGary said:

14 day cruise through Holland America...we have until the 20th of November to pay in full, also my PET scan is scheduled for the 20th. We won't know details in time to make a very educated decision. The timing is just horrible...

Yes it is horrible timing. I would check into moving the sailing or even canceling before final payment. Once you are sure what you are dealing with you can reassess.

• Like 2

Another option is to work with your healthcare team to make the cruise happen, by scheduling treatments accordingly.  My first time having cancer I had a cruise to Alaska booked and told my team I'd do what they recommended, but I needed them to work with me on this cruise.  They did, and I went/had a great time, then resumed the cancer crap after getting home.  In my case it was only radiation therapy and not chemo - so it was much easier to accomodate. 

My 3rd time with cancer I was coming up on final payment for a cruise a few months away.  I sweated that one a bit, but got assertive with the surgeons, oncology group, etc to get appointments soon enough to know my prognosis/treatment plan prior to final payment.  I decided to keep the cruise.  I was solo on that one and had lifting restrictions still and was just started on the reconstruction process, but I made it work.  Somebody else probably would have canceled, but cruises bring too much joy to me to let one go without a fight!

Good luck to you, whatever you decide.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I concur with many of the fellow cruiser enthusiasts' responses. I found this article about why is travel insurance important when going on a cruise (https://www.travelinsurance.ca/en_CA/travel-tips/cruise-travel-essentials/travel-insurance-for-cruising.html). Usually many cancellation policies cover cancellation due to an unforeseen event such as sickness and by having the doctor clearly stating/advising the patient not to travel.