Viking Classic Greece Extension

OneSixtyToOne

We are booked on the Classic Greece pre cruise extension in Athens. Does anyone know what hotel is being used? The website and the invoice state the Athens Hilton but when you do a Google search it states that the hotel is closed until 2024 for major renovations. The property is being rebranded "Conrad" and partly converted into residences.

Ours has been moved to the Athens Marriott.  Not the greatest location, but seems a nice enough hotel.

from MVJ:

Athens Marriott

Located on bustling Syngrou Avenue, the Athens Marriott is within walking distance to many cultural attractions. Guests can relax in comfortable accommodations featuring well-appointed amenities, then savor a taste of the Mediterranean at the Made in Athens restaurant, before enjoying sweeping views of the city and cocktails at the e&o rooftop bar.

Edited by SantaFe1

We are still on the Viking Sky and had the pre Cruise four night stay in Athens. We were originally informed that we would be in the Intercontinental but then this was changed to the Athens Plaza, we had a lovely room with a balcony with views of the Parliament building about a hundred yards away, very well situated, there were other Viking guests at different hotels.

If you go on MVJ and click on extensions you should see that the classic is marked “confirmed”. Click on learn more and scroll down. Ours now says the hotel is NJV Athens Plaza. We’re going in early February 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hazel52 said:

If you go on MVJ and click on extensions you should see that the classic is marked “confirmed”. Click on learn more and scroll down. Ours now says the hotel is NJV Athens Plaza. We’re going in early February 

Thanks. Ours says the same.

21 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Ours has been moved to the Athens Marriott.  Not the greatest location, but seems a nice enough hotel.

from MVJ:

Athens Marriott

Located on bustling Syngrou Avenue, the Athens Marriott is within walking distance to many cultural attractions. Guests can relax in comfortable accommodations featuring well-appointed amenities, then savor a taste of the Mediterranean at the Made in Athens restaurant, before enjoying sweeping views of the city and cocktails at the e&o rooftop bar.

We were placed at the Athens Marriott by another cruise line.  Nice hotel but the location is totally absolutely horrible.  It is a 10 E cab ride from any of the tourist sites. It isn't near anything and the choice of restaurants within walking distance is abysmal.  The area around the hotel is dead at night.  Try to get it changed if possible.  

One suggestion with regard to getting around Athens.  They do have Uber in Athens and it works very well.

DON

• Like 1

Checked out the hotel on MVJ and it also says NJV Athens Plaza. Then I went to tripadvisor for the reviews. This hotel is surrounded by highways and many of the reviews talk about the external traffic noise. Even more reviews talk about the tired decor, the small room size, and all of the many broken items in the room. Although this hotel is very located, not sure that makes up for all of the concerns stated in tripadvisor. Viking rethink this one. Without proper rest, this post extension will be torture. 

On 11/8/2022 at 2:05 PM, OneSixtyToOne said:

We are booked on the Classic Greece pre cruise extension in Athens. Does anyone know what hotel is being used? The website and the invoice state the Athens Hilton but when you do a Google search it states that the hotel is closed until 2024 for major renovations. The property is being rebranded "Conrad" and partly converted into residences.

We were there in late May; originally we were scheduled for the Athens Hilton but instead were at the Intercontinental.

Very nice hotel, but the restaurant was a huge disappointment--skimpy menu, high prices--better to walk a block to an excellent local Greek cafe, which we loved.

Breakfast buffet (which is included) was good though.

Location of the Intercontinental is not great, but the old town area is a 5-minute cab ride.

I agree with donaldsc, if autocorrect will ever let me spell his name correctly. The Athens Marriott is an OK hotel in an awful location. The food is good in the restaurant and there’s a nice enough bar. Staff mainly good too. The rooms (as the rest of the hotel facilities) are really 4* not 5*: clean, functional, limited wardrobe space and a bit tired. You are on a major highway. There are no views. There’s a maternity hospital nearby so the local shops sell baby clothes. The modern Stavros Niarchos Cultural Centre with parks, water features and an opera house is across the highway. Interesting for a look but only accessible via a dodgy underpass full of tramps. In August, when walking about is limited in way over 100 degrees F,  apart from that there’s nowhere interesting to go except by public transport. There is an occasional complimentary bus to town, but never early or late enough.

I was really cross that Viking advertised the Hilton (near Syntagma Square) and then did a bait and switch when we booked, as they must know that the Hilton is closed. I wouldn’t do a Viking extension again. The Conrad Hilton at the end of our cruise in Istanbul was again an OK hotel with good food and so-so rooms in an awful location. And appalling chaos at group check in. 

28 minutes ago, Ovener said:

I agree with donaldsc, if autocorrect will ever let me spell his name correctly. The Athens Marriott is an OK hotel in an awful location. The food is good in the restaurant and there’s a nice enough bar. Staff mainly good too. The rooms (as the rest of the hotel facilities) are really 4* not 5*: clean, functional, limited wardrobe space and a bit tired. You are on a major highway. There are no views. There’s a maternity hospital nearby so the local shops sell baby clothes. The modern Stavros Niarchos Cultural Centre with parks, water features and an opera house is across the highway. Interesting for a look but only accessible via a dodgy underpass full of tramps. In August, when walking about is limited in way over 100 degrees F,  apart from that there’s nowhere interesting to go except by public transport. There is an occasional complimentary bus to town, but never early or late enough.

I was really cross that Viking advertised the Hilton (near Syntagma Square) and then did a bait and switch when we booked, as they must know that the Hilton is closed. I wouldn’t do a Viking extension again. The Conrad Hilton at the end of our cruise in Istanbul was again an OK hotel with good food and so-so rooms in an awful location. And appalling chaos at group check in. 

It appears Viking has booked us at the NJV Athens Plaza.

Hoping for the best. At the very least, a much better location.

Not re:  Athens, rather, about V extensions in general, and specifically Barcelona.

I looked at the Barcelona extension.  Apart from transfers, and a coach ride to ship on ship departure date, 2 breakfasts (which most hotels usually include in rate), and a V rep at hotel, I did not see any value to purchasing the pkg.  V selects hotel, and it may or may not be in one's desired location.

Some pax like the idea of V handling everything, others are DIY types.  No right or wrong way.  Same with air.

I researched all hotels recommended on Spain Ports Category, and booked a hotel on Las Ramblas, which I believe suits our needs and style.

Edited by FetaCheese
Addl info

18 hours ago, Ovener said:

We were on the Adriatic cruise in March (Rome to Athens); we booked the extension in Athens, and originally expected to be at the Athens Hilton. I booked a private tour guide in Athens; she told me that the Hilton was under construction and that we were probably going to be elsewhere; that prompted me to inquire, and I found out we'd be at the Intercontinental. 

As I mentioned before, I wasn't impressed with the restaurant there, although the hotel itself was very nice, clean, modern. The location wasn't great though, and required a cab ride if we wanted to go anywhere. Fortunately though, Old Town was only a 5-minute ride away, and the hotel shuttle graciously drove us there.

Having said that, the excursions they took us on were excellent; on the first day we went to the Acropolis, managed to avoid any lines, had a great time there and at the nearby museum, which, in my opinion, is easily the finest archaeological museums I've ever seen. On the 2nd day we went to Delphi, which was spectacular; on the 3rd we visited Mycenae, crossed the Corinth canal, visited a 2nd site whose name escapes me. 

All in all, I'd say the post extension was well worth it, and I'd recommend it to everyone; despite the mediocre (at best) restaurant at the hotel, everything else was excellent, and we were glad we spent the extra money. The local Viking rep was extremely helpful--she arranged for us to go to Old Town to a specific shop where we could find something we needed, and we were grateful for her hands-on assistance. 

Booking a post or pre extension really depends on a) the excursions they've planned, b) your willingness to do the work yourself and book an extension on your own, and c) the overall cost. In Rome, at the front end of our trip, we stayed 5 nights on our own, and I arranged private tour guides for 4 of the 5 days, got us in an excellent hotel very near the Pantheon, and had a private driver to take us to the port to board the ship. The pre extension Viking offered didn't show much, and I'm glad we did it on our own.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, longterm said:

on the 3rd we visited Mycenae, crossed the Corinth canal, visited a 2nd site whose name escapes me. 

@longtermI think you said earlier you went to Epidaurus—sanctuary of Ancient Greece renowned for the dream healing temples of the god Asklepios. https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/491/

Thanks longterm for your posting. I took notes on your previous post as well. They’ve changed the schedule a bit so our 2nd full day is on our own. I’m thinking of a visit to Corinth. Did you do any independent tours in or from Athens and if so, who did you use? I’ve heard many suggest George the taxi driver. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Hazel52 said:

Thanks longterm for your posting. I took notes on your previous post as well. They’ve changed the schedule a bit so our 2nd full day is on our own. I’m thinking of a visit to Corinth. Did you do any independent tours in or from Athens and if so, who did you use? I’ve heard many suggest George the taxi driver. Thanks!

We did use a local guide, named Nicki Vlachou at Olympic Tours. She took us to the temple of Apollo, which was worth the drive. She also took us for a tour through Old Town, which was really interesting. 

• Like 1

A couple of weeks ago, we took the Viking day excursion in Athens “Beautiful Coastlines ……”   It included the Corinth canal and Mycenae.  It was well worth the money and we had a very enjoyable day with included lunch.  We can highly recommend this excursion and our guide Anna was excellent.

Previous cruise we used George Taxi for an airport pick-up and also transport to the ship the next day.  They were very efficient.  For that cruise we stayed at Athens Gate Hotel, fairly small but very good location.

25 minutes ago, Kentishincanada said:

A couple of weeks ago, we took the Viking day excursion in Athens “Beautiful Coastlines ……”   It included the Corinth canal and Mycenae.  It was well worth the money and we had a very enjoyable day with included lunch.  We can highly recommend this excursion and our guide Anna was excellent.

Previous cruise we used George Taxi for an airport pick-up and also transport to the ship the next day.  They were very efficient.  For that cruise we stayed at Athens Gate Hotel, fairly small but very good location.

The Classic Greece Extension includes a trip to Mycenae but we too are looking for ideas for day 3 which is “on our own.”

Day 2 - Mycenae & Epidaurus

Set out today to discover the Peloponnese peninsula, home of some of Greece’s most breathtaking ruins. At Mycenae, a millennia-old military stronghold, pass through the Lion Gate to begin exploring this amazing site, including the foundations of King Agamemnon’s palace and the Tomb of Agamemnon. Lunch is included. In Epidaurus, marvel at the massive ancient amphitheater. Locals still stage shows here and take advantage of its exceptional acoustics. (B, L)
Edited by OneSixtyToOne

22 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Our open day is Day 3 so be looking for suggestions.

The temple of Apollo is interesting; it’s not a full day trip, but can be combined with a stop at a nice restaurant on the way there or back. A half day in old town is fun as well; just walking through the old meat and fish market was an interesting experience, to say the least. 

35 minutes ago, longterm said:

The temple of Apollo is interesting; it’s not a full day trip, but can be combined with a stop at a nice restaurant on the way there or back. A half day in old town is fun as well; just walking through the old meat and fish market was an interesting experience, to say the least. 

Below is part of our extension. Is this the same Temple of Apollo?

Day 4 - Delphi

Today, visit Delphi, where an ancient oracle once influenced the fate of emperors and empires. Here, you will discover one of the most important museums in Greece, the Archaeological Museum of Delphi. Surrounded by the splendid beauty of Mt. Parnassus, you will marvel at the Temple of Apollo, the circular Tholos and more. After time to explore this magnificent site, stop in the picturesque mountain town of Arachova for lunch, then return to your hotel and enjoy an evening at leisure. (B, L)

3 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Below is part of our extension. Is this the same Temple of Apollo?

Day 4 - Delphi

Today, visit Delphi, where an ancient oracle once influenced the fate of emperors and empires. Here, you will discover one of the most important museums in Greece, the Archaeological Museum of Delphi. Surrounded by the splendid beauty of Mt. Parnassus, you will marvel at the Temple of Apollo, the circular Tholos and more. After time to explore this magnificent site, stop in the picturesque mountain town of Arachova for lunch, then return to your hotel and enjoy an evening at leisure. (B, L)

No, it's a different one; it's set by itself at the edge of the sea. If you look closely you can see where Lord Byron scratched his name onto the monument, along with all the other graffiti through the decades. Not a lot out there--just this one temple--but we stopped on the way home at a wonderful Greek restaurant, whose name I don't recall, and it was well worth the drive there.

Delphi is amazing; it was probably my favorite among all the ruins we visited.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, longterm said:

1 hour ago, longterm said:

No, it's a different one; it's set by itself at the edge of the sea. If you look closely you can see where Lord Byron scratched his name onto the monument, along with all the other graffiti through the decades. Not a lot out there--just this one temple--but we stopped on the way home at a wonderful Greek restaurant, whose name I don't recall, and it was well worth the drive there.

Cape Sounion 
(Temple of Poseidon)

We visited the Temple of Poseidon at Cape Sounion in April during the 21/22 World Cruise.  Beautiful drive away from the hub-bub of Athens.

image.thumb.png.11ea89cf02e657cd8c742c8fc0140541.png

image.thumb.png.d7ef416648b28e773037ad9ac7cbcfac.png

• Like 1