Hearing Aids and Quiet Vox

TayanaLorna

My hearing aids have an accessory that allows me to send the QuietVox commentary to my aids wirelessly. For details see here https://www.oticon.com/solutions/accessories/connectline

It probably won’t be compatible with your aids but you may be able to find something similar for yours.

You can also use plug regular headphones into the QuietVox if you use those and I’ve also found that if all else fails I can use the Viking supplied earpiece even with my hearing aids in place.

3 hours ago, kcpvwill said:

My hearing aids have an accessory that allows me to send the QuietVox commentary to my aids wirelessly. For details see here https://www.oticon.com/solutions/accessories/connectline

It probably won’t be compatible with your aids but you may be able to find something similar for yours.

You can also use plug regular headphones into the QuietVox if you use those and I’ve also found that if all else fails I can use the Viking supplied earpiece even with my hearing aids in place.

Thank you so much for this info.  Some friends are joining us on their first cruise ever and he wears hearing aids.  In about a month we can choose excursions and I was wondering if he should avoid excursions heavy on the QuietVox usage if he won't be able to hear what they say anyways.  I know he is able to hear his mobile phone with his aids.  I see this oticon device works for different devices.  Thanks, now I have a place to start explaining to him.

10 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Thank you so much for this info.  Some friends are joining us on their first cruise ever and he wears hearing aids.  In about a month we can choose excursions and I was wondering if he should avoid excursions heavy on the QuietVox usage if he won't be able to hear what they say anyways.  I know he is able to hear his mobile phone with his aids.  I see this oticon device works for different devices.  Thanks, now I have a place to start explaining to him.

On the Octantis, it was not obvious that the QuietVox could support Bluetooth connectivity to earphones or hearing aids.  On the other hand only some of the guides we had on QuiteVox tours used it.  The QuietVox utilized only one earphone, and some folks replaced one hearing aid with it.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

On the Octantis, it was not obvious that the QuietVox could support Bluetooth connectivity to earphones or hearing aids.  On the other hand only some of the guides we had on QuiteVox tours used it.  The QuietVox utilized only one earphone, and some folks replaced one hearing aid with it.

On a different thread this subject was brought up. You can buy a small inexpensive Bluetooth transmitter that attaches to the earphone port.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1985rz1 said:

That's what I do -- and one time almost lost my hearing aid (fortunately someone on one of the five buses found it on the ground at we got back to the buses) -- so take a lesson from my experience and don't just shove it into your jacket pocket.

48 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

On a different thread this subject was brought up. You can buy a small inexpensive Bluetooth transmitter that attaches to the earphone port.

We just bought them. I am so looking forward to going wireless. I don't like having the unit hanging around my neck and I am so tired of the tangle of wires and strings. I thought that DH was going to be a hard sell but he took one look at it and told me to buy two; didn't even have to ask if he was interested. Now that Viking is using units that have a standard jack, it is almost a no-brainer --- and it is cheaper than new hearing aids by a long shot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My wife has used a Bluetooth Transmitter with great success on our last two Viking Cruises.  They are small, plug right into the QuietVox and transmit directly to your hearing aids.   The best part is that their are no headphone cords to deal with.   Once the guide starts talking she places the QuietVox with the transmitter in her shoulder bag and can hear every word the guide says clearly.

• Like 2

Before our Viking River cruise in July, I purchased the Aisidra Bluetooth transmitter/receiver, hoping to use it to stream audio from the Quiet Vox to my Starkey hearing aids. Bottom line: it didn't work. So for those who have made a Bluetooth transmitter work successfully, I would be very interested to know how you did it. I had my hearing aids paired via Bluetooth with my iPhone but I couldn't figure out how to integrate the stand-alone Bluetooth transmitter into the mix. I finally gave up after several frustrating attempts during shore excursions and used the Quiet Vox ear piece in one ear with a hearing aid in my other ear. And yes, you do have to be very careful where you store the hearing aid which is not in use. I almost lost it when I made the switch from hearing aid to Quiet Vox ear piece in haste.

If there's a way to make it work, I'm all ears. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

As far as the Aisidra box is concerned, the QuietVox behaves like an MP3 player (eg iPod), so if you follow the instructions for using that sort of device with it then it should work. Maybe your hearing aids can’t pair with more than one Bluetooth device at a time so you may have to unpair your phone in order to pair the Asidira device. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dukefan said:

Our iPhone was not used.  We plugged the Bluetooth Transmitter into the QuietVox and simply paired it with the Kirkland Signature 9.0 hearing aids.  Worked perfectly.

How did you pair the HA's with the Bluetooth transmitter? I couldn't figure out how to not have the iPhone as part of the equation.

27 minutes ago, anaco_angler said:

How did you pair the HA's with the Bluetooth transmitter? I couldn't figure out how to not have the iPhone as part of the equation.

I think that it comes down to the fact that not all hearing aids are alike and they don't all have the same capabilities. Not all HAs have BlueTooth (mine doesn't). Not all HAs with BT will work with a BT transmitter attached to the QuIetVox receiver. Perhaps the easiest thing to do is to ask your hearing aid provider if you can do what you are trying to do.

Bottomline: Some of us will have to use a regular BT headset in order to go wireless.

4 hours ago, Dukefan said:

On my wife's hearing aids we had to use the iPhone hearing aid app to pair them the first time but after that she just plugged the transmitter into the QuietVox and it transmitted directly to her hearing aids.

Great news!  We will be trying that for my wife, as she uses her iphone paired via bluetooth to her Starkey hearing aids anyways.  Glad to know it works easilly.  We will still contact Starkey to make sure.

Edited by CCWineLover

We just returned from our cruise. For my husband who has hearing aids in both ears there were 2 options. For the pre-cruise excursions they had ear buds for both ears so they gave him a headset with foam cushions (just like what we used with Walkmans back in the day). For the actual cruise they had the single ear bud that fit over the ear. He kept his hearing aids in. The only downside was it didn't fit into his ear but it worked well enough that he could hear and there was no worry of misplacing a hearing aid.