Has anyone had a bad medical experience on a cruise.

mimi217

25 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Well said and you caught my attention.  As I think about it we don't really have any emergency plans in place when we travel.   What would those appropriate plans contain?  Of course travel med insurance pops right up.  What else can we do to be prepared?  Kind of a list of best practices I guess.  

Insurance would be a firm baseline.  In addition, I wouldn't consider a lengthy or far-flung traveling without:

-- A travel pouch or envelope that contains any items I would need if having to leave the ship quickly (and not necessarily under my own power) such as passport, list of emergency contacts, list of medications and any medical conditions (including drug allergies) and detailed personal itinerary including current flight plans, TA phone number (if applicable) and so on. Things that someone might need to know in order to assist you if you were not fully able to help yourself.  I keep this in the safe for easy retrieval.

-- A smart phone (with a nod to a recent long conversation about technology) with a travel plan enabling me to use phone and data. The phone part is invaluable when the need arises to have countless conversations with family, TA, airlines, doctors, etc.  The "smart" part is useful in searching for hotels, utilizing your airline app to change plans, emailing (and receiving emails), using one of the many "translate" apps to communicate in other languages, etc.

-- Extras of any critical meds in case I am delayed beyond my planned timeframe in reaching home.

Other things I might do would be:  giving thought to limiting my luggage so as to make travel as easy as possible if ill. For example, on a lengthy or world cruise I would put some thought into making sure I have easy access to a small carry-on bag and what should go into that bag to get me home, leaving the rest to be dealt with by the cruise line.  (On at least one cruise line forum I follow, I remember reading threads for months afterwards about people from interrupted world cruises who did not get the rest of their luggage back until their ship actually returned to its original port, sometimes months later...)

One thing I found enlightening and try to keep in mind is something I've experienced with a few land tours I've taken: the organizer actually has a sort of fitness test that they ask people to do to gauge whether they have the appropriate fitness level to 1) fully participate and 2) not to be a burden or slow the group down.  I think many older people (my parents are a prime example) get around fine in their daily environment and may think they are fit to travel, but when put to the test are often really pushed or unable to keep up and deal with the physical rigors of traveling. As I get older, I can see the benefit of such tests to ensure that I am really as "fit" as I think I am in order to be self-sufficient and able to travel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Insurance would be a firm baseline.  In addition, I wouldn't consider a lengthy or far-flung traveling without:

-- A travel pouch or envelope that contains any items I would need if having to leave the ship quickly (and not necessarily under my own power) such as passport, list of emergency contacts, list of medications and any medical conditions (including drug allergies) and detailed personal itinerary including current flight plans, TA phone number (if applicable) and so on. Things that someone might need to know in order to assist you if you were not fully able to help yourself.  I keep this in the safe for easy retrieval.

-- A smart phone (with a nod to a recent long conversation about technology) with a travel plan enabling me to use phone and data. The phone part is invaluable when the need arises to have countless conversations with family, TA, airlines, doctors, etc.  The "smart" part is useful in searching for hotels, utilizing your airline app to change plans, emailing (and receiving emails), using one of the many "translate" apps to communicate in other languages, etc.

-- Extras of any critical meds in case I am delayed beyond my planned timeframe in reaching home.

Other things I might do would be:  giving thought to limiting my luggage so as to make travel as easy as possible if ill. For example, on a lengthy or world cruise I would put some thought into making sure I have easy access to a small carry-on bag and what should go into that bag to get me home, leaving the rest to be dealt with by the cruise line.  (On at least one cruise line forum I follow, I remember reading threads for months afterwards about people from interrupted world cruises who did not get the rest of their luggage back until their ship actually returned to its original port, sometimes months later...)

One thing I found enlightening and try to keep in mind is something I've experienced with a few land tours I've taken: the organizer actually has a sort of fitness test that they ask people to do to gauge whether they have the appropriate fitness level to 1) fully participate and 2) not to be a burden or slow the group down.  I think many older people (my parents are a prime example) get around fine in their daily environment and may think they are fit to travel, but when put to the test are often really pushed or unable to keep up and deal with the physical rigors of traveling. As I get older, I can see the benefit of such tests to ensure that I am really as "fit" as I think I am in order to be self-sufficient and able to travel.

Good stuff. I have to admit I'm lacking in this area.  

About luggage/clothes.  If I have an emergency abroad, they can keep it for all I care.   

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ldubs said:

About luggage/clothes.  If I have an emergency abroad, they can keep it for all I care.   

True enough, for the most part. But I was thinking more of having enough to get me by until I get home, especially if I cannot get out to shop (e.g., quarantined in a hotel or hospital).  And you know us ladies often like to travel with a few pieces of jewelry we'd hate to leave behind, either for value or sentimental reasons....)

• Thanks 1

We have met with one of the "travel medicine" physicians at our major hospital.

He gave us a few extra prescriptions "just in case", plus some OTC recommendations to keep with us.

And our regular physicians have also given us some other "just in case" meds to keep with us when we travel.

All of this is always in a carry-on that one of us always has "hands on", unless it's in the overhead in a plane, and then we put it across the aisle and slightly in front of us so we can see...

And we alway take smaller supplies of some with us if we leave the ship.

We also carry copies of Rx scripts and a physician's letter of explanation for a few, and copies of everything (including passports) are in the cloud.

We also take it easy in terms of excursions.  We tend to get private excursions so that we can spend time at what *we* want to see (more time at A, less time at B, if we want, etc.), and also so we can go at our speed.  I occasionally need to rest, and we do *not* want to slow others down!

(We sometimes invite others from our Roll Call if we do something like charter a large catamaran, with a simple and known itinerary/destination.  That's worked very well. 🙂 )

About "ability", I read somewhere here on CC recently that one cruise line, if tendering, will set two strips of tape on a floor, 18 (?) inches apart.  If a passenger cannot step easily from one strip directly to the other, then they are not allowed to tender.

We each have a food allergy.  So if we are going places where language is likely to be a problem, we bring a translation on little cards.  And with one tricky allergy, we have a picture of one specific food item, and that's come in very handy a few times, to minimize the chance of misunderstanding!  (In one case, the translated word frequently seems to be ambiguous.)

However, medical emergencies can happen.

As described earlier, we did indeed have a serious medical emergency on a ship; fortunately, it was docked at the time.  That did make us start to think more seriously about the "what if's".  On the other hand, we still want to enjoy life, and a big part of that for us is travel.
Due to our age and a few medical conditions, we try to be careful where we go.  For example, because we started travel relatively late (a BIG MISTAKE! 😠 ) we've missed our chance for a safari, and also probably a trip to Antarctica.  Similarly, we aren't sure we'd do an ocean crossing, etc.  But we've had plenty of other wonderful trips, and hope to do many more!

GC

• Like 1

This is SUCH an important post.  Those of us who have no health issues and never worry about getting sick need to really think about an 'emergency' as we grow older.  I am making up a list of things to prep for our next cruise right now.  First item is my MedJet Evac Insurance, followed by my laptop and phone with all my medical info easily available to anyone who is helping me.  Thank you!  

On 11/18/2022 at 11:45 AM, jsn55 said:

So smart to insure trips for this kind of stuff.  I always think that I'd just gut it out if I 'didn't feel good' but a real health crisis dictates that you act on it immediately.  So you lose your fun and enjoyment, but at least you don't lose all your money.  I'll never travel without my annual MedJet coverage.  

As much as I am against travel insurance, I say medjet is actually something of value. Especially if you are up in age, in poorer physical condition, etc. Those who have an American Express Platinum also have coverage for medical evac no matter how you purchased the vacation. Other cards have similar coverage if you purchase the cruise with the card. 

1 minute ago, Joebucks said:

As much as I am against travel insurance, I say medjet is actually something of value. Especially if you are up in age, in poorer physical condition, etc. Those who have an American Express Platinum also have coverage for medical evac no matter how you purchased the vacation. Other cards have similar coverage if you purchase the cruise with the card. 

Make sure you understand all of the terms and conditions of any policy.  The insurance through the "charge cards" is sometimes (often?) more restrictive than what a 3rd party policy would be.  Coverage for pre-existing conditions is important to double check, and that's more likely to be an issue as one ages.

Although we always get MedJetAssist (until COVID kept us home), all of our travel insurance claims were on the regular policy, and we've been reimbursed a lot of money.  We did start to consider contacting MJA once, but then didn't need to.  With the help of regular travel insurance, we were able to re-arrange the remainder of our trip rather than returning home.  

The claims paid to us have exceeded all of the premiums we've paid, and we get relatively expensive travel insurance.  We wish we had never needed to file a claim, and that the travel insurance had ended up being only for "peace of mind".  Maybe in the future, we'll have better luck...

GC

3 hours ago, Joebucks said:

By "against medical insurance" I take it you prefer to retain the risk.  Certainly a valid approach.  

4 hours ago, Joebucks said:

You should add Chase Sapphire Reserve (and Preferred) to the mix as that card also has cancelation/interruption and some evacuation insurance.   Although we tend to agree with you regarding "travel insurance" we are very strong advocates of having decent travel medical insurance.  For some folks that coverage will exist with their regular insurance, but for many others (especially those of us on Medicare) folks need to buy decent medical.  I am also very critical of the medical component of many trip policies as the limits are way too low (usually no more than $20,000).  Companies like GeoBlue and Allianz sell some decent travel med policies whether for a single trip or annual...and they have reasonable prices.

Hank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

By "against medical insurance" I take it you prefer to retain the risk.  Certainly a valid approach.  

Sorry, I was thinking travel medical and said medical.  Well, hopefully you know what I meant.   

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

My standard medical insurance is a HDHP that has international coverage. I stopped paying high premiums and other insurances long ago. I was tired of spending so much and not having anything left from it. Instead, I put the money in an HSA. It grows pre-tax, can be invested, and in the event of medical needs, it can be used tax-free. Then the insurance is still there for something truly catastrophic. 

My Chase Sapphire Reserve also comes with various insurances like baggage delay, cancellation, medical evac, etc. That is another layer of protections in case I need it. 

At the end of it, I guess I'm bearing the risk of not having CFAR, which getting back 75% of non-refundable costs isn't worth insuring. 

8 hours ago, Joebucks said:

My standard medical insurance is a HDHP that has international coverage. I stopped paying high premiums and other insurances long ago. I was tired of spending so much and not having anything left from it. Instead, I put the money in an HSA. It grows pre-tax, can be invested, and in the event of medical needs, it can be used tax-free. Then the insurance is still there for something truly catastrophic. 

My Chase Sapphire Reserve also comes with various insurances like baggage delay, cancellation, medical evac, etc. That is another layer of protections in case I need it. 

At the end of it, I guess I'm bearing the risk of not having CFAR, which getting back 75% of non-refundable costs isn't worth insuring. 

So you aren't against travel insurance per se, you've been fortunate to be able to obtain coverage for what you want covered from other sources. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Joebucks said:

The international coverage part is a good thing to have.  I wish I had access to that feature but about the best I can do is emergency room coverage.     

• Like 1

On 11/19/2022 at 8:48 PM, Joebucks said:

A friend of mine who worked for a TV network has an HDHP with a $2500.00 deductible.

11 minutes ago, sandiego1 said:

Yeah, I’d LOVE that deductible. As it is, we are paying $2300+ month for health insurance. Too young for Medicare

I was downsized by my employer after 25 years supposedly for economic reasons .I was given several incentives to not sue the company.One was free health insurance for my wife and I for life.The insurance plan is one of the best available.

• Like 2

On 11/19/2022 at 10:26 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Great tips

8 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I personally prefer conventional insurance with a $200.00 deductible .

I'd wager to say you probably would agree with more people than I do. People love to feel protected. They also love to feel like they are getting more for something they bought. What actually benefits everyone is different case by case. I believe more people should do the math and decide. Many just choose on a whim, and that is law.

I used to think I wanted a lower deductible. Then I realized the few times I received care per year, I was still spending money out of pocket. The overall tab with premiums and copays considered, was very large. When I went HDHP/HSA, I absolutely saved a significant chunk, and a significant portion of my money was staying with me. HSA is one of the most tax-advantaged accounts there is. Paying anything for medical (or dental) out of pocket isn't the same once you can do it pre-tax. Plus, I now have a little nest egg of care saved up for a rainy day. 

My (new) deductible also isn't half bad for a HDHP. Although I know how this forum frowns upon advantages, so I won't say what it is.

3 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I'd wager to say you probably would agree with more people than I do. People love to feel protected. They also love to feel like they are getting more for something they bought. What actually benefits everyone is different case by case. I believe more people should do the math and decide. Many just choose on a whim, and that is law.

I used to think I wanted a lower deductible. Then I realized the few times I received care per year, I was still spending money out of pocket. The overall tab with premiums and copays considered, was very large. When I went HDHP/HSA, I absolutely saved a significant chunk, and a significant portion of my money was staying with me. HSA is one of the most tax-advantaged accounts there is. Paying anything for medical (or dental) out of pocket isn't the same once you can do it pre-tax. Plus, I now have a little nest egg of care saved up for a rainy day. 

My (new) deductible also isn't half bad for a HDHP. Although I know how this forum frowns upon advantages, so I won't say what it is.

The HSA rollover feature is a winner.  Nice tax shelter.  Too bad it goes away when Medicare kicks in.  But then, if you have to withdraw from the HSA in your 65+ golden years for any non-medical reason there is no penalty other than normal income tax.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I do not pay for insurance nor do I have co-pays.I posted to somebody yesterday that I was downsized after working for a company 25 years for economic reasons.An incentive to not sue them was free health insurance for life for my wife and I.This plan is one of the very best in the USA.There are no co-pays.The only time it costs anything is if the provider does not accept the insurance as payment in full.Nearly every doctor that I go to accepts payment without billing me.

• Like 1