Beyond creaking and knocking and slamming oh my!

RobertoF

We were in 8210 Sky Suite last December and the banging sound was so bad. Not only was the ship making creaking noise, it sounded like there were pipes loose and banging against one another within the wall. They sent people over and opened the wall and tried to tie things down within the wall, but the noise remained. My wife ended up sleeping in a room few doors down (that Celebrity offered) and that stateroom appeared to be fine without the noise. We ended up getting some future cruise credit and I remember the Retreat concierge preparing lots of envelopes with such credit because a lot of suite guests complained about the noise

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RD64 said:

It is a ship….it is the ocean. Not a skyscraper built with foundations several stories into the ground.

So true!  However, I think in this case, the banging and knocking people are experiencing goes beyond what one would expect on a cruise ship in the ocean.  Pipes rattling and such.  Sounds dreadful!

• Like 4

On 11/10/2023 at 6:50 PM, RD64 said:

It is a ship….it is the ocean. Not a skyscraper built with foundations several stories into the ground.

You obviously haven't experienced it.  We did the TA in October '22 and were thrilled that someone began this post just after we came home. 

We stayed in one of the Panoramic Cabins in the middle of the ship where it had been "stretched" to add more cabins than the Epic and Apex had.  The noises were insane!  We have never experienced anything like it before.  Someone made a huge engineering mistake when building the ship.

2 hours ago, Gromit4 said:

Currently on Beyond and there were noises galore! People moving rooms constantly. This was not “normal” cruising noises! 

any chance you are in 9316. we are scheduled for March 1 and very concerned about this issue. we are older and need our sleep. Still have time to cancel and reschedule something else

22 minutes ago, Hikernurse said:

any chance you are in 9316. we are scheduled for March 1 and very concerned about this issue. we are older and need our sleep. Still have time to cancel and reschedule something else

Nope. I am in 12276 this cruise. Extremely noisy due to oceaniview above (all day and night noise) and in bad weather the window popped VERY loudly. Was on 11th deck in Feb and deck 10 in Oct/Nov 2022. Worst noise by far was transatlantic. Had a few noisy days back in Nov 2022 with bad weather. It changes from every cruise. I helped a friend move out of 6150 in Nov 22 because her room was NOISY. 

Good conversation. We sailed on The Edge in April 2023 TA from Ft Lauderdale and had a Retreat Magic Carpet Sky Suite and it was really noisy with lots of banging and creaking more than normal. We did receive a future cruise credit from the very attentive Retreat staff. It is interesting that this issue seems to be on the newer E-Class ships that are sailing on TA in open waters.

2 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

When we experienced it was on Beyond in the Caribbean…not a transatlantic.

You missed out! I’ve done Caribbean twice on Beyond and while there was some noise the TA is like the ship on steroids! Doesn’t compare to anything else I’ve ever experienced! 

none of this is making us very excited for this upcoming caribbean cruise March 1. Our travel agent said she’s polled many travel agents in her group and nary a complaint. We aren’t the complaining type either but sleep is pretty darn important and hubby is a light sleeper to begin with. I think I know what we need to do. Thanks for all the input 

We are currently on the last day of the TA on Beyond.

IMO, problems with noise depend on where your cabin is located.

We are on deck 8 in a Sunset Sky suite overlooking the AFT and haven’t experienced any creaking noises at all for the entire cruise. YMMV, but personally we wouldn’t cancel.

1 hour ago, C-Dragons said:

We are currently on the last day of the TA on Beyond.

IMO, problems with noise depend on where your cabin is located.

We are on deck 8 in a Sunset Sky suite overlooking the AFT and haven’t experienced any creaking noises at all for the entire cruise. YMMV, but personally we wouldn’t cancel.

I wouldn’t cancel either. Just brought white noise earplugs and the cruise was definitely worth the noise! Just booked another TA but on another ship. 

6 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

We are booked in a Sunset Verandah on deck 8 for our first Edge-class sailing.  Good to know you have not had the noise issue aft.

• Like 1

We were o the original repo cruise from Bayonne with stops in Bermuda and Aruba.

Heard many complaints about noise but we heard nothing.

We were in a CS I think 11109.

Heard nothing on the  Edge in Sept  or Apex but will be on Ascent next week so I will be listening.

Edited by jmdlv1

10 minutes ago, jmdlv1 said:

We were o the original repo cruise from Bayonne with stops in Bermuda and Aruba.

Heard many complaints about noise but we heard nothing.

We were in a CS I think 11109.

Heard nothing on the  Edge in Sept  or Apex but will be on Ascent next week so I will be listening.

I was on that same cruise on deck 10 inside cabin. A friend was on deck 6 (6150) and her room was VERY noisy so they moved her. I ended up moving to a concierge room (not for noise issues) on deck 10 which was just as quiet as my inside room. Was also on this past Feb and zero noise. I was on deck 11 and brother was on deck 6. No issues. TA that just ended today was pretty noisy on deck 12 aft. Heard complaints from other people as well. It was temporary though so didn’t affect my cruise too much.  

17 minutes ago, jmdlv1 said:

Most of my cabins have been forward and that may have helped.

However we were in a SS on the Edge mid ship in Sept and no noise there either. 

Sailed Edge before Beyond and never heard of any noise issues. Going on apex and haven’t heard of any issues on their either.