Beyond creaking and knocking and slamming oh my!

RobertoF

We are currently on the Beyond.  It is our first time on Beyond but we have sailed Edge and Apex and many other ships so we have a lot of comparisons.  I realize it has been only one night, and given today is our 23rd wedding anniversary maybe I am a bit sensitive, but it sounded like a construction site in our room last night from the noises our cabin was making.  Granted, we were delayed from Port Everglades last night because of weather and the seas were a bit rough.  But we have been through much rougher weather before and have never experienced anything like this.  My wife was up all night (I am heavier sleeper).  It sounded like maybe the lifeboat was knocking against the side of the ship but there was also a lot of creaking.  Other people we have spoken with heard similar noises.  I don't know if it is our location (IV midship deck 6).  We love Celebrity and I hate to think they spent over a billion dollars on this ship and it has a creaking/noise problem that is inherent in the design or build of the ship.  I have seen other reviews that have mentioned this problem but the ship is still so new so there are not a lot of reviews.  I hope they can get it figured out.  Hopefully we can get some sleep tonight as it should be calmer seas but I fear this is going to be a problem all cruise.  

• Like 1

You are sleeping in a container module that is fitted into the ship's superstructure or hull depending on location - there is bound to be flexing and creaking in bad weather. All ships are different. Never been on a ship yet that isn't noisy in a storm. If excessive I would talk to Guest Relations.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

You are sleeping in a container module that is fitted into the ship's superstructure or hull depending on location - there is bound to be flexing and creaking in bad weather. All ships are different. Never been on a ship yet that isn't noisy in a storm. If excessive I would talk to Guest Relations.

Just curious.  And Guest Relations can do what?  Fix the creeking?  

We did speak with guest relations.  And let me preface this by saying I feel terrible for complaining and never have complained about cabin noise before nor asked to have our cabin switched.  We have been on over 20 different ships, some old some new, in all kinds of weather, and never experienced anything like this before.  My wife said last night was the worst night she has had on a cruise ship, and she's had well over 100 nights.  Guest relations said they reported to maintenance to better secure the life boats.  I am skeptical anything can be done.  We'll see what tonight brings.  I'll report back.

• Like 7

I agree with the comments about foul weather and the ship making sounds. I would be very concerned if it did not.

Looking at the sea conditions last night everything should have been moving. Swells were 8' on average, this would almost be the height of one deck. Also, this is average I can tell you there were probably larger ones. 

Hopefully, you get calmer seas and better sailing for the remainder of the sailing. 

• Like 1

We did not ask to move.  I don't know if it is cabin specific.  Maybe it is just our area (we are just aft of the Magic Carpet on deck 6).  I really don't know.  I want to see how things are tonight with calmer weather.  I am hoping it is quiet the rest of the cruise and we can attribute last night to exceptionally bad weather.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have read lots of other reports of loud creaking/banging on the Beyond.  I am going to be mid ship on deck 8 next week and am a light sleeper.  Hopefully its just as a result of one night of heavy seas and the rest of your trip goes well.  

46 minutes ago, YensidCA said:

I agree with the comments about foul weather and the ship making sounds. I would be very concerned if it did not.

Looking at the sea conditions last night everything should have been moving. Swells were 8' on average, this would almost be the height of one deck. Also, this is average I can tell you there were probably larger ones. 

Hopefully, you get calmer seas and better sailing for the remainder of the sailing. 

52 minutes ago, YensidCA said:

Since when did 8 foot swells constitute rough seas?

If that is really all the E class ships can cope with X has serious problems. On Infinity in the Antarctic she coped with 60 foot waves and 90 mph winds 

• Like 2

According to the Douglas Sea state scale:
When waves reach a height of over eight feet (2.4m), the sea is considered to be 'rough'. If waves are over 13 feet (4m) then the sea is classified as 'very rough'.

60 feet are extreme conditions and most ships even though they should be able to sail through it will avoid if possible for the safety of the guests and crew. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RobertoF said:

We did speak with guest relations.  And let me preface this by saying I feel terrible for complaining and never have complained about cabin noise before nor asked to have our cabin switched.  We have been on over 20 different ships, some old some new, in all kinds of weather, and never experienced anything like this before.  My wife said last night was the worst night she has had on a cruise ship, and she's had well over 100 nights.  Guest relations said they reported to maintenance to better secure the life boats.  I am skeptical anything can be done.  We'll see what tonight brings.  I'll report back.

Happy anniversary! We experienced similar noises - knocking, creaking and banging- all night during rough seas. We were aboard Edge on a transatlantic cruise. We were in a midship IV on deck 12 starboard. We had heard random creaking on other nights, but this was so loud that I couldn’t sleep, even with earplugs. I am a fairly light sleeper. DH was able to sleep through it if I remained quiet😂 When I contacted guest relations, they told me several other people in our area had already called. In the end, there wasn’t anything loose or broken. I was told that this is simply a “feature” with this ship class. We experienced this for only one night of fifteen, so we didn’t bother trying to change cabins on our fully booked cruise. We also experienced some loud creaking and knocking on a recent cruise aboard Edge, but I was able to get to sleep using earplugs. We were in a midship Sky Suite on deck 10, port side. Again, it was only for one night during rough seas. I had assumed this wouldn’t be an issue on lower decks, but your deck 6 experience disproves my theory. I hope you have calm seas for the rest of your cruise!

We were on the Beyond TA which encountered some very rough weather 17’ waves and wind gusts over 50 mph.

We were on Deck 10 port side and our suite was creaking, cracking, squeaking and groaning for 2 days.  

Seems everyone had the same sounds, except possibly those in inside cabins.  I don’t think moving cabins will solve the issue.  Ships make noise in choppy seas as they should just like skyscrapers in earthquake areas are build to sway with the earth movement.

• Like 2

I'm thinking your cabin "container" may not be bolted to the frame and that's why you're hearing loud noises.  There are likely gaps between the container and the ship framework. 

If the bolts are missing, the metal on metal will creak and knock. 

Hopefully the ship doesn't make any sharp turns resulting in unbolted cabins sliding into the sea. Fingers crossed. 

Edited by mfs2k
  • Haha 17

I am someone who suffered from severe motion sickness on our first cruise (1981 NYC to Bermuda)  before ships were built with "state of the art" stablizers. While I occasionally had to take a motion pills after that, the last time I had to take Bonine was in Fall 2004 whie on a 75,000 ton ship when we hit 30ft seas on westbound TA from Harwich to Boston.  

Based on the motion issues detailed on this forum, the thought now of boarding the Beyond on January 3 for a back-to-back sailing with January 8  has me very concerned no matter what the condition of the seas!!

2 hours ago, RobertoF said:

We did not ask to move.  I don't know if it is cabin specific.  Maybe it is just our area (we are just aft of the Magic Carpet on deck 6).  I really don't know.  I want to see how things are tonight with calmer weather.  I am hoping it is quiet the rest of the cruise and we can attribute last night to exceptionally bad weather.

OK, now that you've let us all know of this problem you experienced. What stateroom number are you in? 

In rough seas, if the ship isnt ‘creaking and moaning and banging….and so on’ It Will Sink. It must flex and move and Guest Relations cannot stop that.

And what will happen is they will move you and you will be happy because your next SR wont make as much noise….because the rough seas will have calmed down. But go ahead and take the time, effort and pain and move and feel better that you did something ‘productive’….or just wait it out a bit. 

And before we get into the ‘Ive been in rougher seas’, the wave height isnt the only reason for ship flex, it is what direction the sea is coming from, ship heading and speed, frequency of the waves, winds, gusts and so on which drive the amount of ship pitch and roll. So it’s not All based on height of a wave. 

You left later so the Capt may have to make up time to the next port so cant take a slower or less direct route that is ‘smoother’. 

Den

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

39 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

In rough seas, if the ship isnt ‘creaking and moaning and banging….and so on’ It Will Sink. It must flex and move and Guest Relations cannot stop that.

And what will happen is they will move you and you will be happy because your next SR wont make as much noise….because the rough seas will have calmed down. But go ahead and take the time, effort and pain and move and feel better that you did something ‘productive’….or just wait it out a bit. 

Den

What is the point of this? The author made it clear that he did not ask to move. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

What is the point of this? The author made it clear that he did not ask to move. 

Because others were suggesting they move. And also these threads are providing others. Info…..and you are right my tone is a bit too harsh.  Written words can come across edgier than intended. 

den

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mfs2k said:

I'm thinking your cabin "container" may not be bolted to the frame and that's why you're hearing loud noises.  There are likely gaps between the container and the ship framework. 

If the bolts are missing, the metal on metal will creak and knock. 

Hopefully the ship doesn't make any sharp turns resulting in unbolted cabins sliding into the sea. Fingers crossed. 

Quite possible it's movement of the module causing the noises 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2