The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday November 27th, 2022

richwmn

4 hours ago, kplady said:

Well, I really feel like part of the Daily family now!! My dishwasher gave up the ghost yesterday. I put a load of dishes in around lunchtime, and noticed a rotten, almost burning, smell a while later. When I opened it to take out the clean dishes it really smelled bad!  Since we're a family of 4 adults, and I haven't lived without a dishwasher in my life, my DS went online and ordered one from Best Buy before dinner! It is scheduled to be delivered and installed on Friday.  Hoping that they keep to their schedule!

Laura, I am sorry that a visit from the appliance gremlin makes you feel like a part of the Daily family.  Seriously, we don't have an initiation protocol.  Sorry about the dishwasher.  I've had one for 3 weeks now and I don't know how I lived without it.

43 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

@dfish I know you probably don't want the extra cost, but in the last two houses I bought, the fireplaces failed inspection.   I ended up having wood burning stoves installed instead, and I am ever so glad I did.  You don't suffer from the draft problem, and in the smaller house the stove heated the whole house.  In the current house (a ranch) it heats the den, the kitchen the dining room /living room combo.

If we lose power in the winter, I can cook on it, I can heat with it, it helps light the room up, it more than paid for itself the first year I had it.  I do however now need to find a chimney sweep who can come and clean out the pipes because no one has done it since 2005.

Since it is fixed now, I think we'll just leave it alone.  It is gas log and normally so easy to operate.  

31 minutes ago, kazu said:

@dfish somehow I lost your post but glad your fireplace is working.  Is it a wood or propane one?  A pilot sounds like propane.  I had one in my old house and boy did it help heat up the house.  Loved it.

I think it is natural gas.  There is a gas line that comes directly to the fireplace.  And, yes, it can heat the room up!   I love sitting in my chair next to it with my Kindle wrapped in my quilt.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Cruzin Terri I really like the furniture you picked out. Can you tell me the brand? I need new furniture for my music room.

Hi Vanessa,  The brand is Fusion.  It is also on Wayfair under another name.  I will tell you it is very comfortable.  So don’t be afraid to order it online. 

Terri

• Like 5

7 hours ago, JazzyV said:

rainy here right now, but on the warm side. It was a rough night. I got a call that we needed to go into the hospital to see BFF's Dad around 11:30. I got home around 2AM, and am heading back there shortly. He's not doing well and some tough decisions need to be made. We thought tomorrow, but BFF just called and I think we're going to comfort measures this afternoon. He actually included me in his living will as one of the decision makers. I don't know if he'll last the day. Of course, BFF is distraught, but doesn't want him to suffer.

Oh Vanessa,  I am so sorry to hear this.  However, it is so good that you two decided to cancel the cruise.  You both would have been beside yourselves had you been away when all this happened.

Prayers for all of you.

Terri

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, dfish said:

I think it is natural gas.  There is a gas line that comes directly to the fireplace.  And, yes, it can heat the room up!   I love sitting in my chair next to it with my Kindle wrapped in my quilt.  

Awesome.  Yes, they really do heat things up.  As soon as you said pilot light, the little switch in my brain came on.  I loved it in my old house.  If I keep this one, I will be tempted to switch my fireplace to that now that I have propane for my fireplace anyways.

I’ll figure things out later.

• Like 12

I saw the title of the thread that has been mentioned here, but somehow knew intuitively that I didn't want to read it.

Today I did some early Cyber Monday shopping, on the goal of replacing almost all my pots and pans. Target.com has a discount code that its website applies to all kitchen appliances, but turns out also to work for cookware, and I ordered three pans in all, two for in-store pickup along with food for the Junior Cat, and one to be shipped. The cost of the third one isn't enough for free shipping but because it was part of a larger order, it qualified anyway.

After teaching this morning I wanted a nap, although I didn't actually sleep. I needed to go to the supermarket, but by then it was raining hard and I didn't go until it stopped briefly at 5:00. I had (only) two bottles to return, but one machine was out of service and the other was being used by a man with several 30-gallon trash bags of bottles and cans, so I put them back in the car. I finished shopping before he finished feeding them into the machine. I don't know whether he had accumulated that many in the course of ordinary life, or whether he scavenged them from recycling bins -- in my town, quite a lot of people put them out for recycling instead of returning them for the deposits.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, kplady said:

Well, I really feel like part of the Daily family now!! My dishwasher gave up the ghost yesterday. I put a load of dishes in around lunchtime, and noticed a rotten, almost burning, smell a while later. When I opened it to take out the clean dishes it really smelled bad! 

I hope it didn't catch the disease from my washing machine. I don't think that my washer was the first, but I don't know which appliance, or whose, was the vector.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

@dfish We have a natural gas fireplace in the tv room.  I think it's great.  So easy to turn on and warm the room (actually, most of the house, we don't need to turn the furnace on).  And since it's natural gas, we don't have to have a propane tank beside the house that needs to be refilled.  Enjoy, just remember to put fresh batteries in the remote and in the receiver every fall.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, kochleffel said:

I hope it didn't catch the disease from my washing machine. I don't think that my washer was the first, but I don't know which appliance, or whose, was the vector.

I think I started it all when my stove gave up the ghost back in December of 2020.  It then spread faster than Covid through the group.  I was hoping that it would end when it came back around to me and got the fridge, washer, and dryer in one swoop in February of 2021.

1 hour ago, puppycanducruise said:

@dfish We have a natural gas fireplace in the tv room.  I think it's great.  So easy to turn on and warm the room (actually, most of the house, we don't need to turn the furnace on).  And since it's natural gas, we don't have to have a propane tank beside the house that needs to be refilled.  Enjoy, just remember to put fresh batteries in the remote and in the receiver every fall.

Ahh, to have a remote.  This is an older model and doesn't have a remote.  I just turn a knob at the bottom right of the fireplace.  

13 hours ago, kazu said:

Awesome.  Yes, they really do heat things up.  As soon as you said pilot light, the little switch in my brain came on.  I loved it in my old house.  If I keep this one, I will be tempted to switch my fireplace to that now that I have propane for my fireplace anyways.

I’ll figure things out later.

Do you have wood burning right now?   I agree gas log is easier and that was why I was happy to get this.  My sister wanted wood burning, but that is a lot of work.  One house we looked at had converted a wood burning fireplace to a really cheap electric one.  It looked really bad.  We did get an electric one for the family room, but it is a good quality and looks great when it is on.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Do you have wood burning right now?   I agree gas log is easier and that was why I was happy to get this.  My sister wanted wood burning, but that is a lot of work.  One house we looked at had converted a wood burning fireplace to a really cheap electric one.  It looked really bad.  We did get an electric one for the family room, but it is a good quality and looks great when it is on.  

Yes, I have a real fireplace - wood burning.  Hardly ever used for heat - only for ambience.  They are not heat efficient.  If I lose power, I never light it as too much air escapes and I am trying to preserve warm air in the house. 

My contractor said it would be possible to convert it to propane now that we have the propane tank for the generator.  I’ll see.

• Like 5

When we were in the townhouse in the suburbs we had a gas “insert” fireplace.  It was sealed with glass in the front, it used outside air for combustion and vented outside, but it also had a motor we could turn on that circulated inside air around the firebox and vented it into the room when we really wanted to use it for heat - the circulated air was not mixed with the air used for combustion.  It had a remote and no pilot - it turned on with some sort of sparking mechanism that did not depend on having the electricity on.  

We decided to go this route when one winter we were snowed in with over a foot of snow and the outside temps were in the double digits below zero Fahrenheit when the electricity started to flash on and off.  The insert threw enough heat to warm the whole first floor and would work (without, of course, the circulating fan) during power failures.  

We loved it.  The insert was installed inside of our masonry wood burning fire box and the glass doors covered any evidence of the old margins of the fireplace.

• Like 4

We too had one of our wood burning fireplaces converted to a natural gas insert.  It does put out a lot of heat, which is much appreciated in the winter as it is in an open beam ceiling room.    Ours has a switch that is turned on.   Sometimes it takes a few tries to light if it hasn’t been used in awhile.  

• Like 5

Thank you for all the comments.  I think we'll love the gas log fireplace.  It is easy to turn on and off and creates a nice ambience in the room.  Now that we know where the pilot light is and how to light it, should it go out again we can easily get things working again.  

As Sue said, the more time she spends here, the more she loves it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, arzz said:

When the pilot goes out does the gas automatically turn off or does it continue to flow?  The latter is a significant safety issue. Possibly it just needs to be serviced. 

I think with that it depends on the system you have.  With ours when the pilot goes off the gas to fireplace is off except for the pilot.  It is kind of like the pilot on your furnace.  Or your older furnace.  When we couldn't get it to light we turned off the supply to the system, not just to the fireplace.

• Like 1