Food and Food and all that food… (QG)

Deafcruise

10 hours ago, Jacqueline said:

We only go to the grills for dinner…the times for breakfast and lunch are pretty limited. We would always get back too late from excursions. 

I sometimes go and have a forage in the Lido at lunch time.

Yes, anything can be ordered for lunch but sometimes, the urge for a single plate of bits and bobs [definitely NOT the etiquette for a QG lunch 😄] means it's the Lido for me and not a sit down lunch upstairs.

On 11/28/2022 at 4:36 PM, Solent Richard said:

Five Days? I don't see a problem.

We once endured 56 days Queens Grill, Southampton to Sydney. Those were the days when the Grills had the added benefit of 'special' events ashore: which inevitably meant food included....

449303171_HawaiiGovernorsHouseReceptionTea.jpg.31101b029f76bedeb1f456e048e98b79.jpg

I must confess though that on two formal evenings we 'transferred' to the Britannia Restaurant in an effort to meet and dine with different passengers.

Did you have to dress every evening?

Am looking to do a long voyage in 2024 but do wonder how we’d cope with so many black tie events. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

Am looking to do a long voyage in 2024 but do wonder how we’d cope with so many black tie events. 

The longest we have been onboard was approx six weeks and that was plenty long enough for us.

Do bear in mind, if ''outfits'' might be an issue, no one will be giving marks out of ten for attire and unless an outfit is absolutely outstanding, for any reason 😁, no one will remember what was worn anyway so unlike those ladies who have a different outfit every night, I recycle long and mix 'n match separates.

My husband's shirts  are sent to be laundered [ I refuse to touch an iron on holiday] and there is the passenger laundry facility for those who want it.

Other than that, Gala evenings are no different really from the other nights apart from dress is more relaxed on non Gala nights.

See many, many, many comments on threads over THAT one!😄

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

The longest we have been onboard was approx six weeks and that was plenty long enough for us.

Do bear in mind, if ''outfits'' might be an issue, no one will be giving marks out of ten for attire and unless an outfit is absolutely outstanding, for any reason 😁, no one will remember what was worn anyway so unlike those ladies who have a different outfit every night, I recycle long and mix 'n match separates.

My husband's shirts  are sent to be laundered [ I refuse to touch an iron on holiday] and there is the passenger laundry facility for those who want it.

Other than that, Gala evenings are no different really from the other nights.

Yes the idea and the reality are two completely different things.

You’ve got me thinking and that’s why this CC website is great. 
Doing a world cruise might initially seem amazing but the reality is different. 
It might actually be hard work!

First world problems but hopefully you get my drift.

• Like 1

I can say only what is working for my wife and me. This year we had, unusually, two voyages: the first for 10 days and the other was for seven days.

On the 10-day Alaska cruise on the QE we were travelling in PG with a friend who has a voracious appetite. So we took all three meals in the PG with him and most days afternoon tea. Despite not eating a huge amount of food I managed to gain seven pounds, which took me seven weeks to lose.

For the second shorter voyage we were in Britannia Club on the QM2 and travelling without our friend who is a bad influence. We decided we would rather skip lunch than tea. Occasionally we had a bowl of soup in Kings Court, but nothing else until afternoon tea.  I still managed to gain four pounds, though.  This weight gain was never a problem even 20 years ago.

2 hours ago, swjumbo said:

Go for it.

I love my clothes and yes, we dressed every night and for formal evenings I had a choice of four different tux jackets. We also often dressed appropriately, when the occasion arose, while ashore...

459715982_HawaiiGovernorsHouseTeaParty2.thumb.jpg.e5feda35450907b9255b8fafcb9cbb9b.jpg

I wouldn't dream of sending my shirts to the laundry. There are perfectly good facilities for self launder and iron onboard and that's not to save money either. The last thing I'd want is to send one's quality shirts to a ship's laundry. Anyway, I often enjoyed chatting to the Captain's wife in the laundry room before breakfast. ..

Laundrette.thumb.jpg.b1e8dd11fcc5b56dbf8557a61d04582c.jpg

2 hours ago, swjumbo said:

Oh I don't know.

Do it once and you'll get the bug. I did, however, com under severe pressure from my good lady after the first,  to cut down the length: hence when we did the 56 nights on QM2 - Southampton to Sydney - we opted for Queens Grill.😉😉

4 hours ago, swjumbo said:

I do get your drift.

We thought about a Long Voyage and went as far as to book 72 days but had to cancel so a Worldie holds no interest for us, for health issues and also being away from family and friends for that length of time. We love our cruises, but love our home environment too.

For six weeks I had no cooking, no housework and no ironing.  Just the pure luxury of  busy days at sea often doing nothing the whole day through, with the equivalent of a stimulating dinner party every evening.

To be thoroughly recommended. 👍

5 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

I do get your drift.

We thought about a Long Voyage and went as far as to book 72 days but had to cancel so a Worldie holds no interest for us, for health issues and also being away from family and friends for that length of time. We love our cruises, but love our home environment too.

For six weeks I had no cooking, no housework and no ironing.  Just the pure luxury of  busy days at sea often doing nothing the whole day through, with the equivalent of a stimulating dinner party every evening.

To be thoroughly recommended. 👍

Working on my good lady for a half world cruise. Think it’ll be a way off as she won’t have the time before retiring in 14 years; by then I will be 75 ….

8 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

Working on my good lady for a half world cruise. Think it’ll be a way off as she won’t have the time before retiring in 14 years; by then I will be 75 ….

On our favourite eight top one year, as usual, we had wonderful  table companions on two segments of a world cruise.

One couple was outstanding for many reasons, their age being one of them.She was eighty five and he, eighty eight.

Both had health issues and their five figure  travel insurance was eye wateringly high.

We felt very privileged to be able to join their Worldie table and had the most amazing time.

As long as you can insure, age is but a number! 🙂

• Like 2

The portion sizes are really very reasonable which is a help. I had dessert every night and a scone with clotted cream and jelly every day. Small breakfast and light lunch.

I did find after a while, it was hard to look at all that food!

We went snorkeling and diving at all the stops. I wasn’t as active as normal due to a bum hip. I also boarded at a weight that wasn’t ideal.

I had a heart attack when I weighed in yesterday,

I lost four lbs. I did eat a whole cheese plate I ordered for the room over a few days.