Pride of America

marnie2005

The difference is that 100% of POA crew are US citizens or Resident Aliens.  The difference in service culture between them and the countries where most of NCL's crew come from is vast.  A lot is also the difference between expected levels of service, and what is actually provided.  Most US crew do not provide the near fawning that international crew do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We've sailed POA twice.  First 2006 and it was a mess all around but that was when they had three ships there.  Sailed again 2016 after drydock and it was great.

I have not seen many reviews since restart, but POA was one of the last in the fleet to restart and reading between the lines it seemed like getting staff back may have been an issue. The most I've seen since restart is about people getting cancelled due to capacity but that was back awhile.

Yes, staffing levels have always been a problem for POA, due to the US certification and training requirements.  Post-covid, with the "great realignment" of US labor, and with USCG funding and staffing issues, getting crew has only gotten worse.  I'm not sure this will resolve itself in the short term.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We did the POA trip a few years back. It's a great way to see a bunch of different islands in Hawaii and experience a taste of it all. With the 2 overnight stops you can really get a lot in. 

When we were booking we looked into doing a regular land trip with a visit to only 2 islands vs doing the cruise. Got lucky that the furlough my sister had timed up perfect with the cruise, and despite POA being pricier than other trips it was still cheaper than a land trip (when you account for food & alcohol being free on POA). Plus this covered more islands and we went to sleep and woke up in a new place. Rather than wasting half our days traveling around.

• Like 2

I was concerned, as well.  We have booked POA for our annual birthday week celebration.  I've wanted to do it for many years.  However, today I read a recent reviewer here on CC who cruised POA in November.  She and her DH have cruised POA twice before.  Her review helped waylay my fears.  You can find her review here: Sailing on the Pride of America - November 5 - 12, 2022 - Review - Norwegian Cruise Line - Cruise Critic Community

On 11/30/2022 at 3:39 AM, Sailing12Away said:

Got lucky that the furlough my sister had timed up perfect with the cruise, and despite POA being pricier than other trips it was still cheaper than a land trip (when you account for food & alcohol being free on POA). 

As far as we know, alcohol is not free on the POA.

4 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Hawaiian state government liquor taxes throw a wrench into the NCL packages - - - ?

Not the tax laws, but there is a law against "excessive consumption of alcohol" that restricted the NCL packages in the past, but they came up with a work-around a couple of years ago, that has "some" limitations on it.

-

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Not the tax laws, but there is a law against "excessive consumption of alcohol" that restricted the NCL packages in the past, but they came up with a work-around a couple of years ago, that has "some" limitations on it.

-

Prohibition lives??  What are the "some limitations?"

13 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Prohibition lives??  What are the "some limitations?"

If you knew how alcohol has devastated native Hawaiian culture, you'd understand.  I believe there are limits to the number of drinks per day, and number purchased at one time.

10 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I believe there are limits to the number of drinks per day, and number purchased at one time.

Certainly, NCL clearly states two drinks per request.  Do you have a source for the daily limit?  I have never heard about this.

I have zero interest in discussing the devastating effects that alcohol may have had on the Hawaiian culture, nor the ineffectiveness of government attempts over the decades to "solve" human weaknesses everywhere.

On 12/2/2022 at 12:38 AM, Silver Sweethearts said:

As far as we know, alcohol is not free on the POA.

They offer a different drink package for POA trips. It was called the "Hawaii Beverage Package" when we sailed a few years back. Same rules as the regular NCL one as far as I could tell. When in port there were taxes on drinks (just like any other NCL ship at a port that charges them). Alcohol up to $15 limit paying the difference beyond that. We could get 2 drinks at a time, no one ever cut us off with how many per day.

If you have that Hawaii package you won't notice a difference between that and the normal NCL free at sea drink package. I'm hesitant to say they're not different because some Karen will run and link to the the different packages highlighting how they're minutely different and divert the conversation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I have read several reviews where alcohol was prohibited while ported in Maui. All bars closed. I have no first hand knowledge of this, just going off what I read. 

This could be, as I see that each county (island) has its own liquor commission and issues their own licenses, not the state.

3 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

This could be, as I see that each county (island) has its own liquor commission and issues their own licenses, not the state.

And ironically, while Maui seems to be the only island that restricts alcohol being served onboard while in port, they are also the county with the least restrictive alcohol sales on land (Maui allows alcohol sales 24 hours a day). 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

On 11/30/2022 at 8:15 AM, chengkp75 said:

Yes, staffing levels have always been a problem for POA, due to the US certification and training requirements.  Post-covid, with the "great realignment" of US labor, and with USCG funding and staffing issues, getting crew has only gotten worse.  I'm not sure this will resolve itself in the short term.

Just back from B2B PoA cruises.
The American crew was very friendly and tried very hard to please. We heard that dispensation had been obtained, for a limited time, to reduce the ratio of American to International crew to 50%. Do not know if this was factual or was just a rumour. In any case, the cruises were very enjoyable. 

“Try it! You’ll like it”.

13 minutes ago, Crown Vic said:

Just back from B2B PoA cruises.
The American crew was very friendly and tried very hard to please. We heard that dispensation had been obtained, for a limited time, to reduce the ratio of American to International crew to 50%. Do not know if this was factual or was just a rumour. In any case, the cruises were very enjoyable. 

“Try it! You’ll like it”.

I would be very surprised if the USCG allowed this.  They were adamant in their opposition to creating the "NRAC" crew (non-resident alien), but were overridden by Congress.  Even then, they required that the NRAC crew be limited to the US standard of 25% of non-licensed crew, and that if there were Green Card crew (common in deck and engine), that those were counted among the 25%, as they always are.

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I have read several reviews where alcohol was prohibited while ported in Maui. All bars closed. I have no first hand knowledge of this, just going off what I read. 

We absolutely need to get to the bottom of this.  If POA doesn't serve alcohol while docked in Maui......NO DEAL!!!!! 😬  Maybe that Pinkston lady can shed some light on this.

On 12/3/2022 at 2:52 PM, chengkp75 said:

In all states, there is state licensing as well as county and city licensing requirements in most areas.  There are also dram shop and liquor liability laws that pass liabilty to the alcohol seller or server for serving an impaired customer that results in some disastrous event.  Hawaii is particularly sensitive to cultural and environmental issues which amplify what may be found in other locales - notwithstanding the relevant social issues of the day.