Zandam Cruising

mcrcruiser

We just booked into a April 13  ,2024  aboard Zandam  for the Coastal California  cruise . We have never sailed this ship & wondering  how the stern of the ship might be   on the Promenade  Deck 

Also there is just Pinnacle & Canaletto   speciality restaurants aboard  .Is that correct ?

Any thing  else we should know  about Zandam ?

TIA

42 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

We just booked into a April 13  ,2024  aboard Zandam  for the Coastal California  cruise . We have never sailed this ship & wondering  how the stern of the ship might be   on the Promenade  Deck 

Also there is just Pinnacle & Canaletto   speciality restaurants aboard  .Is that correct ?

TIA

The Zandaam has both a Pinnacle Grill and Canaletto.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ms-zandam-dining-options/IMG_1958-2.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ms-zandam-dining-options/IMG_2082-2.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ms-zaandam-on-board-images-1/IMG_2156-2.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ms-zaandam-on-board-images-1/IMG_2153-2.jpg

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 3

I’ve been on her twice, most recently in September. If you mean an aft cabin for motion, I had one on deck two aft and it was just fine, although it was the Canada/NE cruise and there isn’t much open ocean until you get to the end (Montreal-Boston direction). 

Just Pinnacle and Canaletto. I ate in both and they were pretty good. 

Zaandam is configured differently than the bigger ships. The Explorer’s cafe/library is on the deck with all the other shops, not way up in the Crow’s Nest like the bigger ships. You can take the stairs down a floor or two in the atrium, which also has an old pipe organ in the center. It plays a couple times a day, listed in the daily program. 

I really like this size of ship, but to be fair I haven’t sailed on the biggest ones yet. 

58 minutes ago, Navybikermom said:

I’ve been on her twice, most recently in September. If you mean an aft cabin for motion, I had one on deck two aft and it was just fine, although it was the Canada/NE cruise and there isn’t much open ocean until you get to the end (Montreal-Boston direction). 

Zaandam is configured differently than the bigger ships. The Explorer’s cafe/library is on the deck with all the other shops, not way up in the Crow’s Nest like the bigger ships. You can take the stairs down a floor or two in the atrium, which also has an old pipe organ in the center. It plays a couple times a day, listed in the daily program. 

I really like this size of ship, but to be fair I haven’t sailed on the biggest ones yet. 

I like the size of the ship and the ease of getting around but I hated that monstrosity of a pipe organ. I never heard it play at any time during in the 7 days I was on the Zaandam. 

Atriums are supposed to give the feeling of large open space making it feel light and airy. The pipe organ made the atrium feel small, dark and claustrophobic. JMO.

Canalettos is in a sectioned off part of the buffet but it didn't feel like that once you were seated. It had the atmosphere of a separate restaurant. I had excellent service here.

If you mean a cabin on deck 3 aft (lower Prominade) you will be under MDR (deck 4 Prominade) which may or may not be noisy as crew sets up tables (at least its carpeted). I would be concerned about ship vibration at the stern. We had breakfast a few times in MDR and 2 times (at 2 different tables which mirrored each other across room) our water glasses vibrated the whole time. We didn't notice any other tables doing it so it may be exact spots over engines or something. I know people that sailed on sister ships and like the ability to walk out of deck 3 door to lower prominade walking deck. If you are asking about stern around deck 3/lower Prominade here is a photo overlooking the ship wake. 

Zaadam.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Hi Cliff!

On the Lower Promenade, you are steps away from the biggest balcony on the ship -- the true Promenade! If you're going to be aft, choose far enough back to be under the sitting area of the MDR and NOT under the galley -- they roll heavy carts there all night long. 

Have sailed twice Zaandam and once Volendam (sister ship). For a total of five weeks! Did have some motion MIDSHIP Deck 3 in the bay of Alaska, but if there was motion there, you know it was everywhere!

Have eaten in Pinnacle Grill and Canaletto on these ships. We enjoyed both. Recommend lamb and crab in PG and Short Rib Gnochi at Canaletto.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Hi Cliff!

On the Lower Promenade, you are steps away from the biggest balcony on the ship -- the true Promenade! If you're going to be aft, choose far enough back to be under the sitting area of the MDR and NOT under the galley -- they roll heavy carts there all night long. 

Have sailed twice Zaandam and once Volendam (sister ship). For a total of five weeks! Did have some motion MIDSHIP Deck 3 in the bay of Alaska, but if there was motion there, you know it was everywhere!

Have eaten in Pinnacle Grill and Canaletto on these ships. We enjoyed both. Recommend lamb and crab in PG and Short Rib Gnochi at Canaletto.

Thanks Crystal good info 😄

4 hours ago, REOVA said:

If you mean a cabin on deck 3 aft (lower Prominade) you will be under MDR (deck 4 Prominade) which may or may not be noisy as crew sets up tables (at least its carpeted). I would be concerned about ship vibration at the stern. We had breakfast a few times in MDR and 2 times (at 2 different tables which mirrored each other across room) our water glasses vibrated the whole time. We didn't notice any other tables doing it so it may be exact spots over engines or something. I know people that sailed on sister ships and like the ability to walk out of deck 3 door to lower prominade walking deck. If you are asking about stern around deck 3/lower Prominade here is a photo overlooking the ship wake. 

Zaadam.jpg

Thank you for the info 😃

5 hours ago, electro said:

I like the size of the ship and the ease of getting around but I hated that monstrosity of a pipe organ. I never heard it play at any time during in the 7 days I was on the Zaandam. 

Atriums are supposed to give the feeling of large open space making it feel light and airy. The pipe organ made the atrium feel small, dark and claustrophobic. JMO.

Canalettos is in a sectioned off part of the buffet but it didn't feel like that once you were seated. It had the atmosphere of a separate restaurant. I had excellent service here.

Thsnks 

6 hours ago, Navybikermom said:

Thanks  for the info 

• Like 1

Per the posted signs, the Outdoor Walkaround on Lower Promenade deck is 3.5 laps = 1 mile. It is fairly well lit at night for those who prefer to walk when there are hardly any others around. IMO, this is one of the best features of HAL ships I have sailed on.

1657460968_IMG_0709800x600-Copy.jpg.f0f7ca04beae8446e7bfbe3bdff9ed91.jpg

798551494_IMG_1114800x600-Copy.jpg.c3d3e8852dc28c84c6ae6b1a972de971.jpg

Seaview Pool area on Lido Deck was a popular viewing spot as the ship departed Boston late afternoon on a beautiful fall day. The crowds had already thinned out when I took this picture; some undoubtedly moved on to other parts of the ship for a different view. Logan International Airport is on the right.

340701093_IMG_1536800x600-Copy.jpg.91f216c35cdfc94bda9fb3893260b7b8.jpg

Lido Bar and Lido Pool at night after things have shut down for the day. 

1936332383_IMG_1306800x600-Copy.jpg.5b196f207a099115286cc89a4a1ae6ee.jpg

855821931_IMG_1302800x600-Copy.jpg.e43ea93e8f4af675ce4740346ea8120b.jpg

Zaandam at Grand Quay of the Port of Montreal (Montreal Cruise Terminal) a few hours before sail away.

481907144_IMG_0720800x600-Copy.jpg.bea3d326150399c7127ede15c5e4edc0.jpg

• Like 4

I am on the Zaandam right now and have a cabin on deck 3.  I am not as far back as you were asking but I love being on the Promenade Deck (although technically it's called "Lower Promenade")  and just steps away from the outside without the cost of a balcony.  I am in 3383 and, not under the kitchen, it sounds like a bowling alley up there sometimes (not sure what is actually above me but there are lots of pipes and wires above on the deck that run into the ship over my cabin).

IMG_1355.thumb.JPG.09903c7f5bb31bb8ed4ed9e2e90bcb34.JPG

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Scrapnana said:

I am on the Zaandam right now and have a cabin on deck 3.  I am not as far back as you were asking but I love being on the Promenade Deck (although technically it's called "Lower Promenade")  and just steps away from the outside without the cost of a balcony.  I am in 3383 and, not under the kitchen, it sounds like a bowling alley up there sometimes (not sure what is actually above me but there are lots of pipes and wires above on the deck that run into the ship over my cabin).

IMG_1355.thumb.JPG.09903c7f5bb31bb8ed4ed9e2e90bcb34.JPG

I will be a few doors down from yours next month. The dining room is above so maybe it’s dish carts? Is it loud at night? 

1 hour ago, DoorCounty said:

In last photo, is that the former Prinsendam? Now part of a German cruise line

@DoorCounty The picture I took is HAL Zaandam. 

Many have expressed fond memories of Prinsendam in other threads. Ironically, the other ship docked at Montreal Cruise Terminal at the same time as Zaandam was Amera, formerly HAL Prinsendam until it was sold to Phoenix Reisen in 2018 and subsequently renovated and renamed.

Amera (formerly HAL Prinsendam, Seabourn Sun, Royal Viking Sun) at Montreal Cruise Terminal. Photo taken during our sail away from Montreal (10/1/22). 

190358652_IMG_0784800x600-Copy.jpg.40d98a8bd669972d354dcc39119e9e07.jpg

Edited by dwc13
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Scrapnana said:

I am in 3383 and, not under the kitchen, it sounds like a bowling alley up there sometimes (not sure what is actually above me but there are lots of pipes and wires above on the deck that run into the ship over my cabin).

Hi Scrapnana! Whoever said you weren't under the kitchen was sadly mistaken! All of the gray area is considered Galley -- some where cooking takes place and some where foodstuffs are stored. 

image.thumb.jpeg.734c12479a337e51d142f050f11f30c6.jpeg

Looking at the CruiseDeckPlans deck plans, your cabin is right in the middle of some "tracks" where I'm guessing they fetch carts of ingredients and roll them to the actual "kitchen", hence the bowling alley sound effects. 

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

Hi Scrapnana! Whoever said you weren't under the kitchen was sadly mistaken! All of the gray area is considered Galley -- some where cooking takes place and some where foodstuffs are stored. 

image.thumb.jpeg.734c12479a337e51d142f050f11f30c6.jpeg

Looking at the CruiseDeckPlans deck plans, your cabin is right in the middle of some "tracks" where I'm guessing they fetch carts of ingredients and roll them to the actual "kitchen", hence the bowling alley sound effects. 

The things above and below "The Dining Room" wording? Those are stairs between the two decks of the MDR. The lines to the right of the Es in boxes? Stairs.

Otherwise I don't see anything that looks like "tracks".

30 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

The things above and below "The Dining Room" wording? Those are stairs between the two decks of the MDR. The lines to the right of the Es in boxes? Stairs.

Otherwise I don't see anything that looks like "tracks".

Are you looking at the CruiseDeckPlans.com deckplan? It predates the current HAL one I attached, and show the tracks in the Galley which run right over the entrance area of 3383 using their Cabin Guru app. 3383 is well forward of anything Dining room.

Edited by crystalspin

13 hours ago, dwc13 said:

@DoorCounty The picture I took is HAL Zaandam. 

Many have expressed fond memories of Prinsendam in other threads. Ironically, the other ship docked at Montreal Cruise Terminal at the same time as Zaandam was Amera, formerly HAL Prinsendam until it was sold to Phoenix Reisen in 2018 and subsequently renovated and renamed.

Amera (formerly HAL Prinsendam, Seabourn Sun, Royal Viking Sun) at Montreal Cruise Terminal. Photo taken during our sail away from Montreal (10/1/22). 

190358652_IMG_0784800x600-Copy.jpg.40d98a8bd669972d354dcc39119e9e07.jpg

Still a beauty.

• Like 1