Cheers package - Wondering if it's worth it?

GeorgiaMomof4

I've sailed many times before and never purchased Cheers.  I haven't cruised since February, 2020.

Things are different this time - lost my husband to Covid in 2021 and am sailing with my youngest children

and my new boyfriend for New Year's from Tampa.

I'm not a big drinker, like some of the fruity and chocolate drinks on occasion.  My boyfriend will definitely

be getting Cheers (we are booked in separate cabins because of kids ages) so I don't have to get it.  Thinking

with all the other drinks that you can get, it might still be worth it.

Thoughts please?  Also, price of drinks now would help too.  Things like Kiss on the Lips, etc.

Thanks!

If you are thinking it may not be worth it, then it almost always is not worth it. People who drink really hard often complain of realizing they would have spent less just buying drinks. Everyone thinks about the times they will want a drink when they cruise and not all the time it is just not practical like days when you are onshore for most of the day. 

• Like 2

How many drinks do you think you would realistically drink in a day? Most of the alcoholic drinks run around $12, give or take, unless you're wanting top shelf liquor (then it's more of course). So for me, to make Cheers worth it, I would generally have to drink a minimum of 6-7 per day to make it worth while, which I rarely ever do, especially on port days. On my last cruise (4 nights), I may have had 10 drinks the entire cruise while onboard, and my usual travel roomie and good friend drinks about the same as I do, so we never get the package.

The calculator someone posted is very helpful and will give you an actual number breakdown (if it's the one I've seen before), so that can help you decide as well.

• Like 1

DH and I usually buy Cheers but this last 5 day cruise we didn't.  I had purchased a bottle of rum for the room and it was delivered, even though I had heard Carnival stopped honoring this.  We bought the 5 bottle wine package.  We also brought on 3 bottles of sparkling wine (DD is 22) and still with the costs of drinks, I think Cheers is a better option for us.  Alchemy drinks are 12.95 (before 18% tip) and it really adds up.  YMMV.

3 minutes ago, Mic101680 said:

How many drinks do you think you would realistically drink in a day? Most of the alcoholic drinks run around $12, give or take, unless you're wanting top shelf liquor (then it's more of course). So for me, to make Cheers worth it, I would generally have to drink a minimum of 6-7 per day to make it worth while, which I rarely ever do, especially on port days. On my last cruise (4 nights), I may have had 10 drinks the entire cruise while onboard, and my usual travel roomie and good friend drinks about the same as I do, so we never get the package.

The calculator someone posted is very helpful and will give you an actual number breakdown (if it's the one I've seen before), so that can help you decide as well.

Yeah. As soon as I hear they drink “occasionally” I don’t think they would get anywhere close to 6-7 per day.  Even if you added in coffee and milkshakes and stuff. 

1 minute ago, ninjacat123 said:

DH and I usually buy Cheers but this last 5 day cruise we didn't.  I had purchased a bottle of rum for the room and it was delivered, even though I had heard Carnival stopped honoring this.  We bought the 5 bottle wine package.  We also brought on 3 bottles of sparkling wine (DD is 22) and still with the costs of drinks, I think Cheers is a better option for us.  Alchemy drinks are 12.95 (before 18% tip) and it really adds up.  YMMV.

The bottle is supposedly back on 7 day or longer cruises soon. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

Yeah. As soon as I hear they drink “occasionally” I don’t think they would get anywhere close to 6-7 per day.  Even if you added in coffee and milkshakes and stuff. 

Exactly.  I'm not a coffee drinker, and all those other specialty drinks are just not my thing either, but if I for some odd reason want them, they're there for purchase!

For value, I have been known to bring a large reusable insulated tumbler, order a margarita pitcher from the Blue Iguana Tequila bar or a fishbowl from the red Frog Pub, pour it in and nurse it all day 🤣

56 minutes ago, asalligo said:

If you are thinking it may not be worth it, then it almost always is not worth it. People who drink really hard often complain of realizing they would have spent less just buying drinks. Everyone thinks about the times they will want a drink when they cruise and not all the time it is just not practical like days when you are onshore for most of the day. 

5-6 drinks a day, not even including the value of other items that only reduces that number, is anything but 'hard drinking'.

• Like 3

Especially on a port intensive itinerary, we almost always avoid Cheers.  We do typically get one bottle for the room (soon to be returning for 7+ night cruises) and a 3/5 bottle wine package where we'll often take 'leftovers' back to the cabin.  More often than not, that's plenty of adult beverages if we add in a couple beers/seltzers per day. 

• Like 1

We never get it as I am not a big drinker (wine with dinner and maybe 1 or 2 in evening) so its not going to work out for me.  DH is normally not a big drinker BUT if he paid for a beverage package like cheers he would feel like he NEEDED to get his 15 in or close to it and that would not be good for anyone day after day.  So we bring our allotted wine, get beer for the cabin (DH) and once in a while we will get a wine package.  

Most of time we just purchase drinks as we want them and the dollar amount is no where near what the cheers package would be for 2 people.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

if he paid for a beverage package like cheers he would feel like he NEEDED to get his 15 in or close to it and that would not be good for anyone day after day.

This is me. Not 15, but at least the price of cheers per day would have to be consumed or it would kill me. Wife ready for bed, not me, I have to drink three more drinks before I can sleep, or I lose money and my Scottish ancestors curse me. 

• Haha 2