WDW vacation plus PC Cruise…what would you do?

chefchick

Sorry if this gets a little long, but here goes.  Traveling to Orlando for a quick WDW vacation prior to boarding the NCL Prima in Port Canaveral.  Flying in evening of Wednesday 1/25 and checking into Coronado springs resort on property.  Have reservations and park hopper tickets for Thurs, Fri & Sat.  The cruise starts on Sunday 1/29.  My “plan” currently is to enjoy the parks, check out of the resort and storing my bags on Saturday enjoying one more park day, then calling an Uber or getting a transfer (Contrans or similar) Saturday afternoon to a hotel booked near Port Canaveral (Towneplace Suites @ a cost of $300, which is pretty standard currently)  Then, it’s a quick Uber ride to the port on Sunday.   My limited research shows that a Uber would cost approx $100 from WDW to PC hotel and Contrans doesn’t show picks ups from Disney but maybe others do?

Alternatively, I could book a hotel near the airport Saturday  (currently looking a bit cheaper) so I could spend more time at the park on Saturday and possibly have more options for transfers either from airport hotels or even from airport itself (which also seem a little less expensive than the Uber option).  I assume getting to the port the day of from the MCO area is pretty standard so I’m not worried about that, per say,   Question is…what would you do?  I am solo.  I am not interested in renting a car.  In both scenarios there is transportation needed from WDW to another hotel, then the transfer to the port on Sunday.  I also thought about adding the Saturday to my current WDW reservation pkg. but that would cost approximately $1000 more so not an option even though that would be the “easiest” solution.

So, looking for your opinions.  Have you used services like Contrans or others from MCO area hotels?  How about UBER from WDW?  Is there really much risk involved in getting transportation to the port on the day of embarkation?  Is trying to squeeze a little more magic out of my Saturday worth not being near the port?  I’d appreciate your input and actual experiences.  Thank you in advance.

It doesn't look like the point of your inquiry is to save money but perhaps save hassle. Since you've ruled-out staying one more night at WDW, you really have two choices with one staying near MCO and then continuing to the ship the next day, or going all the way to Cape Canaveral after WDW and spending the night there. Have you checked the NCL website to see what hotel options they offer near MCO and/or what they charge for their bus transfer from MCO to the ship? Short of letting NCL take care of your journey to the ship, either choice is viable and one is not necessarily better than the other.

Personally, and that's exactly what I mean, not for anyone else, to each their own, but I would do the hotel near MCO and Cortrans to the port. Not an Uber user very often but I would guess (I could be wrong) that an Uber from Disney to MCO would be cheaper than Disney to Port Canaveral and possibly easier to arrange and also Cortrans would be easy and cheaper. YMMV

Stay at a hotel near the airport. It will allow you longer at the parks and be an easy pick up in the morning by Cortrans. 

I believe there may be one or two shuttle services that will pick up at Disney to take you to the port area but it's likely quite a bit more expensive and the schedules may be more limited

When I cruise out of Port Canaveral, I stay at POP Century precruise, take an Uber back to the airport and take the Carnival Cruise bus to Port.  I sail solo also and I think it was about $40 Uber to airport and then $31 one way on Carnival to port.  I could have taken Mears Connect from POP to MCO for $16 instead of Uber.  By taking Uber, I got picked up about 8 am and was able to be on the first bus to port.   

I would stay at the Hyatt regency at MCO. Easy to get a shuttle/uber from WDW to MCO and you can get the most out of your last WDW day.

In the morning, take the NCL transfer from MCO to PC.  Definitely the easiest way. As a solo traveler, it might actually be the cheapest option, or close to.

Hyatt is probably a bit more than other options, but it is SO worth it.  It's a great hotel, and morning of the cruise would be SO stress free, with no worries about getting to the port on time.

9 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

When I cruise out of Port Canaveral, I stay at POP Century precruise, take an Uber back to the airport and take the Carnival Cruise bus to Port.  I sail solo also and I think it was about $40 Uber to airport and then $31 one way on Carnival to port.  I could have taken Mears Connect from POP to MCO for $16 instead of Uber.  By taking Uber, I got picked up about 8 am and was able to be on the first bus to port.   

She's cruising NCL not Carnival. Does the Carnival bus actually take folks cruising on other lines?

8 hours ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

I would stay at the Hyatt regency at MCO. Easy to get a shuttle/uber from WDW to MCO and you can get the most out of your last WDW day.

In the morning, take the NCL transfer from MCO to PC.  Definitely the easiest way. As a solo traveler, it might actually be the cheapest option, or close to.

Hyatt is probably a bit more than other options, but it is SO worth it.  It's a great hotel, and morning of the cruise would be SO stress free, with no worries about getting to the port on time.

I do love that  location. If the weather is great, you can sit poolside and watch planes

I would extend at Coronado Springs and leave for Port Canaveral, from there.

If that is not possible, then I would move to an MCO hotel like the Homewood Suites, SpringHill Suites, etc and then take the hotel shuttle to MCO to catch the NCL Transfer to PC.

7 hours ago, chefchick said:

Thanks for the replies.  I’ve decided to stay at a MCO property and take the shuttle on cruise day.  It will save me about $100 overall and I can get a full park day out of my Saturday ticket at Disney.

Good plan.

Pick one of the hotels that I mentioned (or similar) that include a hot breakfast.