NCL Ships at Amber Cove

PATRLR

We are scheduled to be at PP-DR end of next month, after the Encore, will see.  

Not booking any shorex.  Perhaps, NCL simply wanted nobody to dare book excursions independently except with them directly - and with the short 5 hours on that scheduled stop, not worthwhile to spent another hour going into town & back to the Cove, and do the long pier walk to board the ship again. 

Tailored expectations and just happy to get out of this cold weather in NYC, no snow whatsoever on the ground (unlike Erie County / Buffalo & places up to our northwest) and NY Eve temperature here in the 50's ??

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Perhaps, NCL simply wanted nobody to dare book excursions independently except with them directly

One thing I have been thinking about in all this - how would you like to be one of NCL's contracted shorex providers in the DR? Seems like it is a coin flip (at best) whether a shorex provider would have a full set of customers or a day with no work (and no pay) from NCL. If I were one of those providers, NCL would go pretty far down my priority list. I don't know if that is how things actually work, just a thought...

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, wil e coyote said:

One thing I have been thinking about in all this - how would you like to be one of NCL's contracted shorex providers in the DR? Seems like it is a coin flip (at best) whether a shorex provider would have a full set of customers or a day with no work (and no pay) from NCL. If I were one of those providers, NCL would go pretty far down my priority list. I don't know if that is how things actually work, just a thought...

I am quite sure both NCL and the shorex providers know very well in advance on which days NCL will actually come to PP. They just check the overall Amber Cove schedule and if there are 2 Carnival Corp ships on any given day NCL doesn’t come to PP (unless it’s Sky which can go to Taino Bay). So even though NCL would take your shorex money for PP they don’t really have shorex booked with a provider if that day already has two Carnival Corp ships at Amber Cove. 

NCL and the shorex  providers also very well know that the only way for NCL to get to Amber Cove on days which originally have two Carnival Corp ships is if either one of those Carnival Corp ships has a sudden no show due to whatever. If that would happen the shorex providers can just provide the shorex to NCL that they normally have agreed to the other ship. Most shorex are almost identical regardless of cruiseline. 

Edited by European_CruiseGirl
  • Thanks 2

Continuing to build data here...yesterday, 12/26, Escape was due in the DR. While Escape shows on both the Taino Bay and Amber Cove schedules for yesterday, it appears it was actually in Amber Cove. I know that is no surprise for anyone, but if I project this forward into January, it looks like Escape will probably only stop in the DR on 1/2, 1/16, and 1/23. The other Mondays in January (1/9 and 1/30) have two Carnival ships scheduled for Amber Cove. 

Again, this assumes NCL continues to not use Taino Bay, and that past performance is an accurate indicator of the future. YMMV, and all that!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

I am quite sure both NCL and the shorex providers know very well in advance on which days NCL will actually come to PP. They just check the overall Amber Cove schedule and if there are 2 Carnival Corp ships on any given day NCL doesn’t come to PP (unless it’s Sky which can go to Taino Bay). So even though NCL would take your shorex money for PP they don’t really have shorex booked with a provider of that day already has two Carnival Corp ships at Amber Cove. 

NCL and the shorex  providers also very well know that the only way for NCL to get to Amber Cove on days which originally have two Carnival Corp ships is if either one of those Carnival Corp ships has a sudden no show due to whatever. If that would happen the shorex providers can just provide the shorex to NCL that they normally have agreed to the other ship. Most shorex are almost identical regardless of cruiseline. 

Great point!

Did another lookup on cruisemapper dot com this morning for January 2023's Amber Cove (updated ??) schedule - there are now, about, 16 NCL ships listed as docking there (and not downtown Taino Bay, not easy walking distance for sure) even the mid-size ships like the Dawn, Sky & Pearl are heading to Carnival's owned dock when it's not full with their own fleet.  Hey, it's revenue for Carnival and other lines including MSC and Royal are using the Cove also. 

Whether, NCL is going to cancel and substitute something like GSC, which they own themselves, is another story.  Escape that's doing the same itinerary as our 12 days already informed guests booked that they are not going to DR at all.  It seems like the Bay is simply out of the question for next month. 

NCL calculated and collect the port charges/fees/surcharges for each of the posted - if they skipped and/or substituted port A for B, or cancelled entirely - it's mostly not refunded or adjusted these days ... kept and pocketed (as a general expectation), unless I'm mistaken & stand corrected.  It's a different can of worms by itself, let's try to steer away from this controversial subject area.  

As for whether the NCL's onboard shorex team knows or not - of course, they should know by the time we are on the ship and sailing away from homeport - short of any real last minute changes from weather, emergencies & disruptions unplanned for - as one can bet that their tasks are to promote & sell, not to process refunds and create more work for accounting & bookkeeping.  

23 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Did another lookup on cruisemapper dot com this morning for January 2023's Amber Cove (updated ??) schedule - there are now, about, 16 NCL ships listed as docking there (and not downtown Taino Bay, not easy walking distance for sure) even the mid-size ships like the Dawn, Sky & Pearl are heading to Carnival's owned dock when it's not full with their own fleet.  Hey, it's revenue for Carnival and other lines including MSC and Royal are using the Cove also. 

Unfortunately, the actual port web sites (for Taino Bay and Amber Cove) either have no arrival information yet for Jan. 2023 (Taino Bay) or don't have the same info (Amber Cove) as the private sites, cruisetimetables.com and cruisemapper.com.   We're on the Gem, scheduled to be in Puerto Plata on Jan. 31.  The Amber Cove web site only shows the Carnival Celebration there on that date, which would leave room for another ship, but both cruisetimetables and cruisemapper also show the HAL Nieuw Amsterdam there on that date as well. Since it's a Carnival Corp brand, that would mean the Gem (and the Dawn, also scheduled for PP on Jan. 31) would go to Taino Bay.   That's where my PCC told me a few months ago we'd be docking, but given what NCL has been doing recently in skipping Taino Bay and PP altogether, it seems like a crap shoot as to where we'll be on that day.

And we're on a B2B, with another port call scheduled for PP on Feb. 14.  That day, all the sites are showing the Carnival Celebration and HAL Nieuw Statendam at Amber Cove, so it seems pretty clear the Gem won't be going there.  Again, who knows about Taino Bay. . . 

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 2

Called NCL and talked with Shore Excursion team member.  I asked about DR's Puerto Plata  and about the probable cancelation of that port... scripted response repeated to me three different times: "if there is an itinerary change, you will be notified by NCL" or "Once there is an itinerary change, all guests will ne notified".   Even with prodding about the recent cancellations/issues and that NCL knows we will not be stopping at PP, I got the same scripted response.  No acknowledgement of any issues what-so-ever with PP.

I literally debated between this Escape cruise and a Carnival cruise (both because we had not been to PP).  Hmmmm...I'm afraid I chose poorly. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mpcaruth said:

Called NCL and talked with Shore Excursion team member.  I asked about DR's Puerto Plata  and about the probable cancelation of that port... scripted response repeated to me three different times: "if there is an itinerary change, you will be notified by NCL" or "Once there is an itinerary change, all guests will ne notified".   Even with prodding about the recent cancellations/issues and that NCL knows we will not be stopping at PP, I got the same scripted response.  No acknowledgement of any issues what-so-ever with PP.

I literally debated between this Escape cruise and a Carnival cruise (both because we had not been to PP).  Hmmmm...I'm afraid I chose poorly. 

I've received email notification for the 1/8 Getaway DR being cancelled and replaced with a sea day, but oddly not all passengers on that sailing have received any notification.  On our roll call, people have called NCL and they are being told there are no changes to the itinerary, and the cruise is still being advertised and sold as including the DR on NCL's website.  

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, mpcaruth said:

when I boarded the Getaway in October, I noticed that the shore excursion sheets had Nassau on it and not PP.  I asked someone as guest services if there was a change, and she said yes.  I asked why we we're notified and she said "they sent you an email".  I knew this was true and check my email just to be sure it wasn't in my spam folder or anything.  Finally, we received a letter about the change with our freestyle daily on the 2nd night.

20 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

I've received email notification for the 1/8 Getaway DR being cancelled and replaced with a sea day, but oddly not all passengers on that sailing have received any notification.  On our roll call, people have called NCL and they are being told there are no changes to the itinerary, and the cruise is still being advertised and sold as including the DR on NCL's website.  

We have not received anything and NCL is still selling the cruise like we are stopping in the DR. I can't imagine we will. I tried to book a private tour in the DR a few weeks ago with two different companies, each one came back and ask if I was sure if the ship was stopping. They didn't want me to pay if the stop had been canceled. That was m first clue Lol

We are on the Feb 12 Encore sailing. So far no emails reporting any changes. Our scheduled day, at this point is 2/17. Cruisemapper shows this, Amber Cove site shows no ships on this date. Another site shows us there on Feb 14🤨.

This is the port that we don't want to miss, we have an excursion booked that we really don't want to miss. Is there any way to find out if the needed work to Taino Bay is in progress? I know shot in the dark lol.

16 minutes ago, tbo said:

Is there any way to find out if the needed work to Taino Bay is in progress?

@tbo, no one knows if there is any work going on (or planned) at Taino Bay. Other lines (like RCL) have been sending very large ships into Taino Bay right along. I don't think anyone on the boards knows the reason why NCL isn't sending their large ships there.

• Thanks 1

Just now, wil e coyote said:

@tbo, no one knows if there is any work going on (or planned) at Taino Bay. Other lines (like RCL) have been sending very large ships into Taino Bay right along. I don't think anyone on the boards knows the reason why NCL isn't sending their large ships there.

I did not realize that other ships were docking there. I thought there was an issue with the dock/port that needed work due to a ship (Escape?) getting stuck. 

That is even worse in my opinion. What the heck? If NCL can't stop there and they know that,  it should be removed from their schedule and replaced with a new port.

First no Broadway show on our sailing, now we may miss this port, and of course GSC is always iffy on stopping.....ah well.....at least it won't be below zero with snow!

22 minutes ago, wil e coyote said:

People have speculated that its an insurance issue, since NCL was the line that had the ship run aground there last March.  But I truly have no idea.

• Like 3

I am extremely dissapointed with NCL, but not at all surprised!!!

I still have not received any info from NCL about Puerto Plata for the scheduled top for the Escape on January 9.  There are already two CCL ships scheduled for Amber Cove that day, and based on research, I was pretty sure the Escape would not be docking in DR that day.  I have also read where other ships in similar situation ended up in Nassau or Ocho Rios.  So... I searched the other cruise port calendars and guess what?????  The Escape is scheduled to be in Nassau on the 8th. (Unforeseen conditions my arse!

https://www.nassaucruiseport.com/schedule?fromDate=&toDate=&cruiseLine=0&pageIndex=2&pageSize=10&pageLastDate=undefined

image.thumb.png.b4f4106ecccf5e3637c22ac47ba7b8aa.png

I re-checked my email... nothing.

I re-checked my NCL.com reservation... still shows Puerto Plato on on the 9th.

I have a private excursion booked and paid for on the 9th in Puerto Plata... that I will have to wait until NCL officially notifies me before I can cancel.  UGGGGHHHHHH.  This is unacceptable NCL.  Let your passengers know!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, mpcaruth said:

I still have not received any info from NCL about Puerto Plata for the scheduled top for the Escape on January 9.  There are already two CCL ships scheduled for Amber Cove that day, and based on research, I was pretty sure the Escape would not be docking in DR that day.  I have also read where other ships in similar situation ended up in Nassau or Ocho Rios.  So... I searched the other cruise port calendars and guess what?????  The Escape is scheduled to be in Nassau on the 8th. (Unforeseen conditions my arse!

https://www.nassaucruiseport.com/schedule?fromDate=&toDate=&cruiseLine=0&pageIndex=2&pageSize=10&pageLastDate=undefined

I have a private excursion booked and paid for on the 9th in Puerto Plata... that I will have to wait until NCL officially notifies me before I can cancel.  UGGGGHHHHHH.  This is unacceptable NCL.  Let your passengers know!

It wont change.  We were never told onboard in November, it just showed up on our dailies that we were going to Amber Cove.  As far as changing things, it wont, the ports are not very far apart and you can still do anything you booked...and honestly, the Puerto Plata port looked messy and still under construction, we drove right by it.  In the end, I was happy we were in Amber Cove instead.  If it was a huge change I would agree with you, but nothing other then where you park is really changing.  Also, I knew before we left as I checked Amber Coves site and we were listed as expected to dock there that day.  You could do the same, and then let your private tour operator know, but my guess is they already do as this has been happening for many months already.  As I said, the ports are close enough that your private tour company wont cancel, they will just pick you up at Amber Cove.

Edited by oteixeira

22 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

It wont change.  We were never told onboard in November, it just showed up on our dailies that we were going to Amber Cove.  As far as changing things, it wont, the ports are not very far apart and you can still do anything you booked...and honestly, the Puerto Plata port looked messy and still under construction, we drove right by it.  In the end, I was happy we were in Amber Cove instead.  If it was a huge change I would agree with you, but nothing other then where you park is really changing.  Also, I knew before we left as I checked Amber Coves site and we were listed as expected to dock there that day.  You could do the same, and then let your private tour operator know, but my guess is they already do as this has been happening for many months already.  As I said, the ports are close enough that your private tour company wont cancel, they will just pick you up at Amber Cove.

I think you misunderstood my previous post. We will not be stopping in Dominican Republic at all, and instead it appears will be going to Nassau the day before.  The fact that NCL knows this and is not letting passengers know before the cruise is unethical in my opinion.  I had a great deal booked with a dune buggy tour in Dominican Republic... now I will have to figure out what to do in Nassau (for my 12th visit there, yawn). 

I agree with you that the difference between Amber Cove and Taino Bay (the two ports in Puerto Plata) are miniscule and easy to remedy switching tour pick-up locations.  

Edited by mpcaruth
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

What does this have to do with the quoted person going to Nassau?

2 hours ago, mpcaruth said:

How frustrating!  I’m on the same itinerary on Escape due to arrive in PP on 1/30.  Amber Cove has two carnival ships due that day, and I don’t see it at Nassau either. Anyone have any recommendations where else I can look?    Hoping that we’ll go somewhere and not just a sea day.  Even if we choose to stay on the ship, at least it would be less crowded if they had some stop. 

3 hours ago, pjtjmn said:

How frustrating!  I’m on the same itinerary on Escape due to arrive in PP on 1/30.  Amber Cove has two carnival ships due that day, and I don’t see it at Nassau either. Anyone have any recommendations where else I can look?    Hoping that we’ll go somewhere and not just a sea day.  Even if we choose to stay on the ship, at least it would be less crowded if they had some stop. 

Check San Juan- it seems when the DR isn't happening they shoot for Nassau OR San Juan as a possible substitute. Some ships end up with an extra sea day though.