Princess Plus Scam For Australians

harfield

We have a cruise booked on the Enchanted Princess Caribbean Cruise.

Hi I would really like to know why when we purchase Princess Plus the benefits are different to when you purchase it in the USA.  I am trying to be objective but seems we are the poor relation here. I hope I am wrong and someone may be able to enlighten me.

I am talking about the difference that when we purchase the Princess Plus Package, gratuities are not included but are on the USA Princess Plus Package they are. We Paid an extra $105 per person per day for the package and even when converting our dollar to the American dollar its works out about the same total actually even slightly more $68US.  This seems like a scam and unfair to me and would really like to know the real answer. Also, we pay a fair bit more for a cruises here when we book. I know this as I do have a US address and have booked with it before.  As an Elite passenger this seems very unfair to me and the only people that are going to suffer is the poor hard-working crew and staff. I hope I am wrong. I contacted Princess on the Chat line and they confirmed this.

Edited by harfield

4 minutes ago, harfield said:

As an Elite passenger this seems very unfair to me and the only people that are going to suffer is the poor hard-working crew and staff.

Why?  Are you planning on not tipping them because the package is different for Australian purchasers?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, harfield said:

We have a cruise booked on the Enchanted Princess Caribbean Cruise.

Hi I would really like to know why when we purchase Princess Plus the benefits are different to when you purchase it in the USA.  I am trying to be objective but seems we are the poor relation here. I hope I am wrong and someone may be able to enlighten me.

I am talking about the difference that when we purchase the Princess Plus Package, gratuities are not included but are on the USA Princess Plus Package they are. We Paid an extra $105 per person per day for the package and even when converting our dollar to the American dollar its works out about the same total actually even slightly more $68US.  This seems like a scam and unfair to me and would really like to know the real answer. Also, we pay a fair bit more for a cruises here when we book. I know this as I do have a US address and have booked with it before.  As an Elite passenger this seems very unfair to me and the only people that are going to suffer is the poor hard-working crew and staff. I hope I am wrong. I contacted Princess on the Chat line and they confirmed this.

There’s an interesting thread about this subject.  Especially, read post #10 onwards.  May help, IDK.

45 minutes ago, harfield said:

We Paid an extra $105 per person per day for the package and even when converting our dollar to the American dollar its works out about the same total actually even slightly more $68US.

you do know that you are not obliged to buy this package, right? especially if it doesn't include the gratuities.

We don't get it because it doesn't make sense financially for us, even at $50 pp pd with grats included.  We pay the gratuities ($14.50) and pay per drink, and we still come out way ahead of $50 pp pd.

46 minutes ago, harfield said:

As an Elite passenger this seems very unfair to me and the only people that are going to suffer is the poor hard-working crew and staff.

are you not going to pay the gratuities then?

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 4

See this what I mean about being "objective". I didn’t say I wasn’t going to pay Gratuities. i just meant if we, when booking from Australia why should we have to pay extra when others get it included. 

Our Packages is definitely not showing Gratuities included when looking at what’s included. I think its a good idea to have the Gratuities included in the Princess Plus Package.  This way you dont have to worry about it as its paid for.

Edited by harfield
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Earlier, you said you paid an extra ASD 105 pppd for Princess Plus.  The screen shot indicates ASD 50 per day per guest.  Am I misunderstanding something?

And 50 AUD is around 34 USD (today) which means the pricing has been adjusted accordingly to take into account that gratuities are not part of the package.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I'm confused by what the scam is.  They tell you up front what the price is, and you're not obligated to pay it if you don't want that service.   

Charging different prices in different regions of the globe isn't a scam.  Not sure why people would assume that the cost of alcohol is the same everywhere in the world.  Two seconds of Dr. Google pulled up this article https://headlands.com.au/why-are-alcoholic-spirits-so-expensive-in-australia/

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, hammo said:

Cruises booked in Australia are inclusive of "tips" or whatever you like to call it .

All cruises booked in Australia are inclusive of tips, port charges and taxes.

Princess reduces the princess plus to take that into account.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As an Australian I have been discussing this issue with my PVP and Princess. Cruises booked in Australia that leave from Australia or where the onboard currency is Australian dollars, include gratuities in the fare. Any other cruises elsewhere in the world do not include gratuities in the fare and are added to your onboard account unless they are prepaid. The Princess Plus and Premium packages do not include gratuities but the price we pay converts to a lesser price in USD. For example AUD50.00/pppd for Princess Plus converts to about USD34.00 which takes into account that gratuities are not included. For myself after doing the sums it is better to pay for an occasional drink, one internet device and prepay the gratuities.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Just had another thought. Australians who book in Australia for Australian cruises or ones that have Australian Dollars as the on board currency pay for gratuities in their fare. If they then paid for a Princess Plus or Premium package which included gratuities then they would be paying for two lots of gratuities. While other cruises elsewhere in the world do not include gratuities it is probably simpler to not include gratuities in the packages for Australians rather than have two different packages with and without gratuities.

• Like 1

OK - so now I am totally confused - we have paid for our cruise which included the Plus Package as complimentary . Booked and paid for in Australia . Are you saying now that this does not include the gratuities ? Apologies if this sounds silly from someone who has cruised often . 

28 minutes ago, hammo said:

OK - so now I am totally confused - we have paid for our cruise which included the Plus Package as complimentary . Booked and paid for in Australia . Are you saying now that this does not include the gratuities ? Apologies if this sounds silly from someone who has cruised often . 

Where is your cruise to? If it is in Australia/NZ or has Australian dollars as the onboard currency, gratuities are included in the fare. If it is somewhere else gratuities are not included in the fare. Princess Plus packages bought in Australia do not include gratuities. If you are cruising overseas you may need to ring Princess and check since you received Princess Plus as complimentary.

Edited by PurpleTraveller