Best ship for 7 and 5 year olds?

jonthomas

We do not sail Royal Carib nor other lines that have kids on board, but want to take our two grandsons for a week on a cruise ship best suited for them.

Yes there is Disney but can anyone recommend any Royal Carib ship that the boys will enjoy?

Edited by jonthomas

We found Freedom class to be perfect when my kids were that age, especially if you think that you might continue cruising with RCCL in the future as they get older. They have the rooms with the 2 pullman beds if you are trying to stay in one room. They have plenty to do and you may get a deal because these are slightly older ships. We really loved having Oasis class to upgrade to when my kids became teens - and we'll have Quantum class to also look forward to at some point in the future as they become older teenagers. 

• Like 1

My kids really loved Oasis. They were 6 & 3 when we went on and both seemed to have plenty to do for their age and they loved the aqua show. They also love Anthem but it doesn’t keep them as busy which in a way works because they also love going to the kids club and felt like they had more time to do that.

I don’t know how high end the cruise lines you usually sail are, but at those ages I’d also consider princess if you think your grandkids would like the kids club.  We haven’t sailed them after covid, but precovid they had excellent kids clubs and nice food so they’re a good option to consider with younger children who will be happy in the kids club (when the kids are older they’ll want everything on the oasis class ships, which princess doesn’t have.  But while the kids are young I think it’s a nice compromise line, with a strong kids club and good food)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Oasis class would be my pick and we have taken two cruise with grandkids that age and they loved it.  

Yes we've done several cruises with our grandkids ranging from age 5-10. Their all so experienced cruisers.

We started when ours were 6 & 10.  They have been on Freedom, Adventure, Ovation, and Oasis.  They loved all of them.  We were most recently on Oasis and were blown away by it.  It was amazing how much was on there.  But, any of these would work.

thank you everyone...we are considering a Christmas week for next year....they are still young, so the big slides etc will not be for them....

two cabins....bringing our son and daughter in law as well.....

we usually sail, Oceania or Viking....but this would be for the little ones...

oh yes, thank  you...

we are elite plus on Celeb, so probably diamond plus on RCL....

found that the cost of a suite on Celeb is more than a reg balcony on Oceania, so we bailed on Celeb with their class system....

but this is for the little ones, not for us...so we dont care ..as long as they enjoy...

5 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

The maximum cross-over is to Diamond.

Also, for kids that young, Celebrity is a great option. The kids clubs are very good, and not as crazy, especially during a holiday week. And they're not big enough to do all the attractions on RCCL anyway.

My kids have been on about 10 Celebrity cruises since they were 3 and 5. We were on Edge for Christmas 2019 and it was wonderful. Now that they're in their late teens, we mostly do Carnival and RCCL, but they still think of X as "home".

30 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

oh yes, thank  you...

found that the cost of a suite on Celeb is more than a reg balcony on Oceania, so we bailed on Celeb with their class system....

but this is for the little ones, not for us...so we dont care ..as long as they enjoy...

Elite and higher crosses over to Diamond.

Diamond and higher crosses over to Elite.  One can only reach the top tiers on each line by actually sailing that line, so your fellow Elite Pluses are Celebrity cruisers, not just cross overs.

Depending upon the “sales” at the time if booking, you and your wife may each qualify for Diamond discount on balcony cabins.  For that reason, some couples chose to split their names between the cabins to maximize the discount, the rearrange themselves on board.

Though you say this cruise is for the little ones, perhaps you find you enjoy the new venues.

• Like 1

If it is all about the kids I'd go with Freedom class.  At that age my kids were 100% into kid's club and the water playground.  If they have never been on a cruise that should be enough to blow their minds.  They will probably be too small for the slides, and really the only thing that will be missing from Oasis class that they could do is the merry-go-round.  Plus on Freedom class the slides are at the back of the ship, so you can avoid that part of the ship so they don't feel disappointed for being too small to do those activities.  On Oasis class the slides are everywhere you go, so you can't miss them.  Then if you want to take them again as they get a bit older and big enough to do slides/Flowrider you can go with Freedom class again or go large with Oasis class or Icon, which would blow their minds once again.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mil76 said:

If it is all about the kids I'd go with Freedom class.  At that age my kids were 100% into kid's club and the water playground.  If they have never been on a cruise that should be enough to blow their minds.  They will probably be too small for the slides, and really the only thing that will be missing from Oasis class that they could do is the merry-go-round.  Plus on Freedom class the slides are at the back of the ship, so you can avoid that part of the ship so they don't feel disappointed for being too small to do those activities.  On Oasis class the slides are everywhere you go, so you can't miss them.  Then if you want to take them again as they get a bit older and big enough to do slides/Flowrider you can go with Freedom class again or go large with Oasis class or Icon, which would blow their minds once again.

thank you for your suggestion....will look into the Freedom class....

I would probably look at Freedom class or larger.  Freedom class is where they started to add the really nice splash play area on the pool deck for the little kids.  Nice Adventure Ocean kids area.  They also have the ice rink.  Easy to navigate around the ship without being TOO big, etc...

Hard to go wrong though with anything Freedom and newer.

Dan

• Like 1