Marina Refurb - Clue?

MarkWiltonM

I just saw a CLIA video for TAs (I am not a TA, however) released on YouTube yesterday with Oceania's Tina White. She was talking about the OceaniaNEXT program of ship improvements and mentioned that Riviera was currently in dry dock getting all new public spaces and staterooms, and that her sister ship, Marina, had had all of her public spaces and staterooms refreshed in 2021. I don't know if it's true, but check it out if you're interested:

There was no mention of further improvements to Marina. Indeed, White noted that people often tell her the ships look great and DON'T need to be updated. FYI, this discussion of Riviera and Marina is in the first 10 minutes of the video.

To me, this indicates they have completely backed away from the promised improvements to Marina. Maybe they'll rethink. Maybe not.  

Edited by MarkWiltonM
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, MarkWiltonM said:

To me, this indicates they have completely backed away from the promised improvements to Marina. Maybe they'll rethink. Maybe not.  

Mark I think that is about a good a guess as I have seen. Thanks for posting this.

Thanks for posting the video.  I planned to watch just the part you flagged, but ended up watching the whole thing!  Ironic:  Celebrity has to 'pay' people to watch their badly produced webinars [PUP power up program with free loyalty points for watching], but here I gladly watched an Oceania webinar that wasn't even directed at me!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Today we booked our first Oceania cruise for March 2025 on the Marina. A lot of our decision was based upon information we received last week in an O brochure and on the O website that the Marina is getting the new refurbishment in 2023. What is the actual story, is she is she not getting this this year, 2023?

5 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Today we booked our first Oceania cruise for March 2025 on the Marina. A lot of our decision was based upon information we received last week in an O brochure and on the O website that the Marina is getting the new refurbishment in 2023. What is the actual story, is she is she not getting this this year, 2023?

no one knows for sure  when she will get her makeover

2024  is the next guess

3 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

It isn't happening this year and I wouldn't bet on 2024 either.   2025 is way too far out to speculate.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

It isn't happening this year and I wouldn't bet on 2024 either.   2025 is way too far out to speculate.  

Did any other O ships get refurbished in 2022 or are scheduled in 2023?

Nautica got upgraded in April 2022 and now all the R ships look great. Riviera is beautiful and Marina will be when she gets her turn. With Vista coming on line in May 2023 and another in 2025, it will give Oceania a little breathing room with their O and A Class ships in the fleet. 
I am sure we will all be watching for Marina to be “Reimagined”. 
Mauibabes

36 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Riviera  in Nov 2022

I'm surprised to have not seen any vids yet on YouTube shwoing the refurb, though perhaps by now there are, have not looked since before Xmas.

Edited by LGW59
typo

1 minute ago, LGW59 said:

I'm surprised to have not seen any vids yet on YouTube shwoing the refurb, though perhaps by now there are, have not looked since before Xmas.

Me too

a few on the Live Thread on Riviera 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2901119-live-from-1223-riviera-“alluring-caribbean”/page/2/

but you would thin O would want to show off  what was done

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Marina will not be re imagined until 2024 from multiple sources on board.

While not worn -- everything on Marina is dated.  Very dark and dim.

Design article in the Wall Street Journal this weekend says that white and beige is now OUT in decor, and dark woods and bold colors are back in!

OUT: Icy Scandi Rooms

Newark, N.J., designer KD Reid has noticed a departure from the “early IKEA days of pale wood and colorless interiors.” Meg Lavalette, of Manhattan‘s LAVA Interiors, says that unless it’s implemented perfectly, “a Scandinavian room can feel cold and a little bit too open.” If you don’t understand how to orchestrate factors like scale, texture and tonality, she said, “it falls flat so much more quickly because there isn’t anything to hide the errors.” Noted Rachel Cannon, a designer in Baton Rouge, La., “Sterile, white and driftwood rooms have filled our social media feeds to the point of exhaustion.” 

IN: Moody Hues

No fewer than 15 pros in our pool cited a return to rich, dramatic color palettes. A star shade: purple, which Sydney designer Greg Natale deemed “the new pink.” Other players, per Ms. Cannon: “Sand, maroon, cream, chocolate brown.” Aileen Warren, of Jackson Warren Interiors, in Houston, the team responsible for the room above, said their design goals include “championing bold color, moody schemes and swathing an entire room in deep color.” Ms. Taylor sees recently in-demand light oak supplanted by dark woods such as walnut and mahogany.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/top-interior-design-trends-for-2023-11671830750?mod=Searchresults_pos3&page=1

38 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Design article in the Wall Street Journal this weekend says that white and beige is now OUT in decor, and dark woods and bold colors are back in!

OUT: Icy Scandi Rooms

Newark, N.J., designer KD Reid has noticed a departure from the “early IKEA days of pale wood and colorless interiors.” Meg Lavalette, of Manhattan‘s LAVA Interiors, says that unless it’s implemented perfectly, “a Scandinavian room can feel cold and a little bit too open.” If you don’t understand how to orchestrate factors like scale, texture and tonality, she said, “it falls flat so much more quickly because there isn’t anything to hide the errors.” Noted Rachel Cannon, a designer in Baton Rouge, La., “Sterile, white and driftwood rooms have filled our social media feeds to the point of exhaustion.” 

IN: Moody Hues

No fewer than 15 pros in our pool cited a return to rich, dramatic color palettes. A star shade: purple, which Sydney designer Greg Natale deemed “the new pink.” Other players, per Ms. Cannon: “Sand, maroon, cream, chocolate brown.” Aileen Warren, of Jackson Warren Interiors, in Houston, the team responsible for the room above, said their design goals include “championing bold color, moody schemes and swathing an entire room in deep color.” Ms. Taylor sees recently in-demand light oak supplanted by dark woods such as walnut and mahogany.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/top-interior-design-trends-for-2023-11671830750?mod=Searchresults_pos3&page=1

This reminds me of an Onion article "Beauty industry informs women they now like short hair".   

• Haha 4

We were on a Ponant cruise recently and it was one of their new ships with the light color palette. Light woods et al. Very nice but certainly not dramatic. What has always drawn me to Oceania is the beautiful rich, dark woods that always look classy and classic. Lighting and contemporary decor can enhance the beauty of the rich woods. 
we have not been on Riviera since she was updated recently but we will be on Marina next week to look her over again. 
IMHO, I will take the rich wood look any day, always classic and that is what Oceania typifies to me.  
We all get to have opinions and enjoy how we spend our resources. 
Mauibabes

• Like 2

We are not talking about wood versus beige.  We are talking about dimly lit halls, that are further accented with dark brown carpets - that is the current Marina.  Ugly looking furniture that looks worn (but is not).  No USB charging.  No outlets next to the bed for charging an iPAD (Oceania Suite).  The ship was obviously designed 10 years ago and shows it.

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 1

@shorton

it was not a fair comparison as I was comparing Ponant to Oceania.  IMHO, Ponant is a “wannabe”. Very good service and a hard working staff. We even tested the Medical Center, got Covid half way through the trip. 
Looking forward to meeting you at the M and G. 
Mauibabes, aka Gerry and Bonnie

On 1/3/2023 at 5:17 PM, PaulMCO said:

We are not talking about wood versus beige.  We are talking about dimly lit halls, that are further accented with dark brown carpets - that is the current Marina.  Ugly looking furniture that looks worn (but is not).  No USB charging.  No outlets next to the bed for charging an iPAD (Oceania Suite).  The ship was obviously designed 10 years ago and shows it.

On our first Oceania cruise recently (Sirena), we were surprised by how dark Horizons was. It's a great space with tons of windows and we enjoyed morning coffee and afternoon tea there but it's very dark. The walls are dark, the upholstery is uniformly drab. And they cover nearly half of the floor-to-ceiling windows with light-killing roman shades. I figured out that the shades were nearly halfway down so that people don't butt their head on the windows, which slant down and out toward the bow. On Holland-America ships' Crow's Nests, the windows actually slant slightly up and out toward the bow, so that's not an issue. 

It will be interesting to see what Horizons is like on Vista.