Young woman over board from Pacific Explorer in SA waters

On 12/14/2022 at 3:41 PM, grozzy1 said:

They were fortunate to have an accurate location, I wonder how long till the alarm was raised.

The search pattern appears tight and efficient Screenshot_20221214-153356.thumb.png.9bf54dfdd288060d931ca1594faab096.png

That's a different pattern to the one Sea Princess did when a bloke went overboard shortly before reaching Sydney. I had been tracking the ship's course with my Garmin GPS and I could see that the ship followed its course back to the search area pretty much exactly. It then started figure eight search patterns until it was released, by search and rescue in Canberra, to countinue to Sydney. We spent an extra night at sea having missed our docking time.

Pandemonium reigned at CS desk that night.

There are reports from those onboard that there were sinister actions that led to the girl falling overboard and if true then there will be public announcements as enquiries conclude. If nothing is announced then they were just rumours. 

The other passengers were not offered any compensation for their cruise to nowhere. 

Edited by Pushka

2 minutes ago, Pushka said:

There are reports from those onboard that there were sinister actions that led to the girl falling overboard and if true then there will be public announcements as enquiries conclude. If nothing is announced then they were just rumours. 

The other passengers were not offered any compensation for their cruise to nowhere. 

Would passengers with travel insurance which covers missed ports receive compensation?  Kangaroo Island is such a unique place there would have been much disappointment missing that special port.  

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

Would passengers with travel insurance which covers missed ports receive compensation?  Kangaroo Island is such a unique place there would have been much disappointment missing that special port.  

Possibly but many policies don't cover missed ports and being Australia many might just take out basic medical insurance. Agree. The whole cruise would have been extremely difficult for everyone let alone the disappointment. 

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

Possibly but many policies don't cover missed ports and being Australia many might just take out basic medical insurance. Agree. The whole cruise would have been extremely difficult for everyone let alone the disappointment. 

I have never heard of basic medical insurance for travel in (or from) Australia. Is there such insurance? The travel insurance we use includes all the usual (medical, evacuation, cancellation, lost luggage etc etc) but nothing for a missed port.

58 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I have never heard of basic medical insurance for travel in (or from) Australia. Is there such insurance? The travel insurance we use includes all the usual (medical, evacuation, cancellation, lost luggage etc etc) but nothing for a missed port.

Insure and Go for one offers missed ports compensation ($50 or $100 per port depending on level of cover) under their cruise policy. You need written confirmation from the cruise line.

6 minutes ago, boeckli said:

Insure and Go for one offers missed ports compensation ($50 or $100 per port depending on level of cover) under their cruise policy. You need written confirmation from the cruise line.

From my research of travel insurance, I was aware that some policies cover missed ports. I have never heard of 'medical only' travel insurance.

4 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

From my research of travel insurance, I was aware that some policies cover missed ports. I have never heard of 'medical only' travel insurance.

It's more the basic ones offered where there are several levels of cover - basic, silver and gold. Of course things like limited cancellation may also be included but not things like missed ports. That was my point. 

3 hours ago, Pushka said:

IIRC where a cruise ship has a person go overboard in Australian waters they have a legal requirement to take part in searching until released by Australian federal authority. Therefore, the delay was beyond control of the cruise company i.e., not their fault, that a port or ports were missed which would mean they are not obligated to compensate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, boeckli said:

The only problem is you have to lodge your claim within 30 days. It took me 7 weeks to get a missed port confirmation from Princess. The bloody call centre insisted on putting my request via feedback. Does anyone have a direct line to the North Sydney office? You used to be able to dial a number and on answering they asked if you wanted Princess or Carnival.

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Insure and Go do medical only travel insurance, might be called basic. Used this last month for cruise to Tasmania. I think Medibank might also do it.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

The only problem is you have to lodge your claim within 30 days. It took me 7 weeks to get a missed port confirmation from Princess. The bloody call centre insisted on putting my request via feedback. Does anyone have a direct line to the North Sydney office? You used to be able to dial a number and on answering they asked if you wanted Princess or Carnival.

Make sure to get it while on the ship. In both instances where I claimed, we automatically received a letter confirming port missed due to bad weather (that was HAL both times).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

We had medical/evacuation only travel insurance for a domestic cruise this year with racq

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lyndarra said:

IIRC where a cruise ship has a person go overboard in Australian waters they have a legal requirement to take part in searching until released by Australian federal authority. Therefore, the delay was beyond control of the cruise company i.e., not their fault, that a port or ports were missed which would mean they are not obligated to compensate.

I'd comsider it a good gesture to all. Sometimes obligations are irrelevant. I know Viking for instance gave people 125% voucher to all impacted by the recent Antarctica cruise issue. No obligation to do this. But simply good will. And it wasn't Vikings fault. 

• Like 3