RCCL and Johnny Rocket's

Ret MP

4 minutes ago, ballarinamom said:

My point was not say I prefer either. But $12.99 per person is more than what a free standing Johnny rockets would cost. They need to be better. Regardless of wait, service, etc with Guys, it is tasty and its included

I just checked the price of a Johnny Rocket's burgers at stand along venues.  Depending on the location and the burger you order, the price for a burger alone can be as much as ~$11.99 and that doesn't include any sides.  Just say'in.  

• Like 1

Just now, Ret MP said:

I just checked the price of a Johnny Rocket's burgers at stand along venues.  Depending on the location and the burger you order, the price for a burger alone can be as much as ~$11.99 and that doesn't include any sides.  Just say'in.  

We have one in my town where you can get a combo including fries and drinks for $11.99. many have the drink packages that would give a free milkshake or even just a soda. As we are all paying for he cruise fare, this price seems like retail. 

8 minutes ago, ballarinamom said:

We have one in my town where you can get a combo including fries and drinks for $11.99. many have the drink packages that would give a free milkshake or even just a soda. As we are all paying for he cruise fare, this price seems like retail. 

Like I said, it depends on where the location is and what burger you purchase.  When I cruise, I have the Deluxe Beverage Package or the Refreshment Package which both include sodas, water, and/or shakes at JR's.  So, other than the drinks if you don't have a drink package, everything else is included in the $11.99. Full disclosure, I'm not sure about the desserts, if they are included in the $11.99 or not, haven't gotten to them yet.  

Look, I'm not trying, as stated many times, to change anybody's minds about Guy's, Johnny Rocket's, Florida State Penitentiary, or any other venue.  This is my preference, my opinions and why, nothing more, nothing less other than to be factual, I have no opinion of your opinions.  I state things as I see them.  Again, nothing more, nothing less.  If you think JR's is a rip off or an unnecessary upcharge, so be it.  I don't, so be it.  But, I do think that the discussion is good to have.  Apparently, I'm in the minority here.  And that's fine.  But, I think the discussion is good and some good information is coming out of it.  Isn't that what these forms are all about, to discuss our experiences and opinions of those experiences.  

To be honest, if I had my way, I'd prefer Fuddrucker's or Culver's over Johnny Rockets, any day, all day.  Full service or not!

2 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Like I said, it depends on where the location is and what burger you purchase.  When I cruise, I have the Deluxe Beverage Package or the Refreshment Package which both include sodas, water, and/or shakes at JR's.  So, other than the drinks if you don't have a drink package, everything else is included in the $11.99. Full disclosure, I'm not sure about the desserts, if they are included in the $11.99 or not, haven't gotten to them yet.  

Look, I'm not trying, as stated many times, to change anybody's minds about Guy's, Johnny Rocket's, Florida State Penitentiary, or any other venue.  This is my preference, my opinions and why, nothing more, nothing less other than to be factual, I have no opinion of your opinions.  I state things as I see them.  Again, nothing more, nothing less.  If you think JR's is a rip off or an unnecessary upcharge, so be it.  I don't, so be it.  But, I do think that the discussion is good to have.  Apparently, I'm in the minority here.  And that's fine.  But, I think the discussion is good and some good information is coming out of it.  Isn't that what these forms are all about, to discuss our experiences and opinions of those experiences.  

To be honest, if I had my way, I'd prefer Fuddrucker's or Culver's over Johnny Rockets, any day, all day.  Full service or not!

Wow, Fuddrucker's! Havent been there in over 30yrs!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Been to JR's maybe 5 times on different ships (out of boredom on sea days mostly) and were underwhelmed each time so we just stopped going. Not even a consideration for us anymore. 

You'd probably prefer a Tim Horton's, eh!  LOL

I love Tim Horton's but not the one in Markham on 48.  It was nasty and may not even be there anymore.  I do like the one in Stouffville.  I wish we had more of them down here in the U.S.  I do buy their coffee grounds when available at Sam's.  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Wow, Fuddrucker's! Havent been there in over 30yrs!

There is an absolutely great one in Warren, MI.  One of the few with a bar in it.  Great draft beer that is very cold and a good variety of beer.  If you sit in the bar, you get full service by an actual server, usually the bar tender if it's slow. And the servers have a great sense of humor, give back what they get.  Love it.  The banter is fun.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

You'd probably prefer a Tim Horton's, eh!  LOL

I love Tim Horton's but not the one in Markham on 48.  It was nasty and may not even be there anymore.  I do like the one in Stouffville.  I wish we had more of them down here in the U.S.  I do buy their coffee grounds when available at Sam's.  

The only thing that's fit for human consumption at Timmy's is the coffee. Sounds like you know your way around the northeast end of the GTA eh? (Greater Toronto Area)

We had JRs on the Liberty back in June and did not think it was worth it.  The burger and fries were about the same quality as the buffet ones.  Personally I felt like they were the same ones used in the buffet but I could be wrong.  Been a while since I was at a land JRs but I seem to remember the burgers being thinner and the fries having the fresh cut style with the skins on the edges.  You are pretty much paying extra for the toppings.  

1 hour ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Hard to believe that was 22-32 years ago.  IMO it's time to reinvent JR into something more competitive with other cruise lines and more widely appreciated by Royals guests.

I agree.  They've updated/modified/eliminated many of their other pay venues.  It's time to do the same with JR's, just for the sake of change, if nothing else.  It's stale.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

The only thing that's fit for human consumption at Timmy's is the coffee. Sounds like you know your way around the northeast end of the GTA eh? (Greater Toronto Area)

Not a fan of Timmy's anything.  I find the coffee weak as I drink it black not the typical Double-Double. If I were out craving a coffee I would settle for a McDonalds coffee.

As for the discussion of Johnny's, I used to rave about it.  We were on the Allure just before the Covid shutdown and bragged to my friend that this place as the place.  Had a very underwhelming burger that I was embarrassed about since I pumped it up so much.  So probably not return as I can get the same if not better burger in the Jammer.  However, the Royal Burger they serve in the MDR at lunch is well worth it.  And there is not upcharge for it.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

My family is from Toronto and I spent most of my childhood during the summer months visiting my Aunt, Uncle and cousin's that lived in Stouffville, still have some family in Stouffville and Uxbridge.  I just lost a cousin that lived in Newmarket.  My uncle and his son, the one that recently passed, owned Quality Utilities, a plumbing supply company, that was HQ'ed out of Richmond Hill, with branches in Oshawa (sp?), Barrie, Lindsay and a few other cities/towns in Ontario.  They have long since sold, made them millionaires the business and I don't even know if it still exists.  I used visit the area.  But, not since before the COVID debacle.  Looking forward to going back, soon.  I still have a lot of cousins that I want to reconnect with.

BTW, I was born and raised in Montreal.

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

My granddaughters make me bring Sparkle Timbits and Blueberry muffins each time we visit. And they don't screw up dry everything bagels too, too much.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

My granddaughters make me bring Sparkle Timbits and Blueberry muffins each time we visit. And they don't screw up dry everything bagels too, too much.  

Love "everything" bagels w/a large schmeer of Cream Cheese.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Magicat said:

I remember stopping off for a coffee run once.  When I got back to the shop I grabbed my tea and it smelt funny.  Opening the lid they have used coffee instead of hot water. LOL

Man, I thought you were going to say you found a dead rat or something like that in it.  

Yuk!

3 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

BTW, I was born and raised in Montreal.

mon Dieu! 

I was born in Montreal but grew up in Toronto. It took a long while to switch my allegiance to the Leafs from Les Habitants and to the Blue Jays from Les Expos! The old Forum and Jerry Park were cathedrals for me. 

4 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

mon Dieu! 

I was born in Montreal but grew up in Toronto. It took a long while to switch my allegiance to the Leafs from Les Habitants and to the Blue Jays from Les Expos! The old Forum and Jerry Park were cathedrals for me. 

The scene when you returned for a visit? 😂

image.png.9aec9f85bbe29e160811e07cab0cdb83.png

12 minutes ago, Magicat said:

I remember stopping off for a coffee run once.  When I got back to the shop I grabbed my tea and it smelt funny.  Opening the lid they have used coffee instead of hot water. LOL

When we did road trips to the states before Covid, the first thing Mrs. Dawg made me do right after we crossed back into Canada was to find the nearest Timmies and get a large tea with one milk, one tea bag in and one tea back out. I have always ordered the Dark Roast coffee. I think MacD's coffee is the old Timmies original blend which is much better than the current Timmies original blend. 

3 hours ago, Ret MP said:

BTW, I totally agree 100% that Coco Cay is way overrated.  Especially if you are a 71 year old.  There is nothing I can do on Coco Cay that I can't do on the ship and I can do it without the crowds.  That's not to say that it isn't great for young families and active adults.  But, for old folks like me, it's a wasted part of the itinerary.  

The only thing I will do at Coco Cay is go to a free beach area with at least one beer and go into the ocean up to about my shoulders and bob up and down while I drink.  The rest is so grossly overpriced it's ridiculous.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

mon Dieu! 

I was born in Catherine Boothe (sp?) hospital.  My dad was the head golf pro at Marlborough Golf Club in Cartierville, then after Marlborough was sold to make a subdivision, Hillisdale Golf Club in Ste. Therese (again, sp?) and then another in Ste. Jean, don't remember the name of the club.  He started out at the Toronto Hunt Club before I was born.  We used to migrate between Canada (Montreal) and south Florida because of my dads profession.  We eventually settled full time in Florida.  Don't know if it shows but English WAS my second language.  I've long since forgotten most of my French, I can still cuss in French though.   

4 hours ago, Ret MP said:

BTW, I totally agree 100% that Coco Cay is way overrated.  Especially if you are a 71 year old.  There is nothing I can do on Coco Cay that I can't do on the ship and I can do it without the crowds.  That's not to say that it isn't great for young families and active adults.  But, for old folks like me, it's a wasted part of the itinerary.  I'm only saying that I'll look for itineraries, in the future, that don't include Coco Cay, unless we have any/all of our grandkids with us.  I'm not suggesting that Coco Cay be removed from RCCL's options, it's just not for us.

Why is that? It depends on preferences. Who is rating it?

We are 50+ years old and we like it.

We obviously do not use park, but

1. we like how now umbrellas are added to loungers.
  2. Loungers availability.
  3. Several beaches to choose.
  4. Nice pool.
  5. All available food if we are hungry.
  6. Nice snorkeling off the beach.
  7. We do not need to take a taxi to the beach as on most islands.

Is there a sightseeing? Of course not. Frankly, aside from several islands Caribbeans are not major sightseeing place (we sailed to Bahamas and Caribbeans probably 45 times or more and we've seen all islands except for St Vincent & Grenadines and Guadeloupe). We do not shop on islands, but I think Coco Cay has some shopping for fans.

Main point of Bahamas and Caribbeans (Bermudas too) is SUN and nice OCEAN (beaches, snorkeling) . If people are looking for something else there they are misinformed.

So for us Coco Cay is not overrated. It is exactly what it is. And we are glad RCI is making money on everyone who wants to pay for cabanas, club and park. We are just doing our things for cheap. 🙂

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 2