Be careful with EZAir and upgrading your ticket… at least with Delta.

northwestbear

Thanks.   I am 70 days out right now.    So 25 days from the 45 day window to make changes.   I am quite happy with my flights and I have not seen a better price.   I very much doubt I would be making any changes.    Should I do it?    I would feel better knowing my flights were "locked in".

With 9 days left till my 45 day window to makes changes, I have been able to change 3 times within the last week and saved $134 on my flight from New York to Ft. Lauderdale. The last change was made on 6/1/22.  It took a while for a price drop but I checked every day and was surprised by the drop in price. Keep checking.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

But buyer beware, you may be the first to get bumped.

For my Mediterranean B2B this summer I booked coach to Barcelona on Lufthansa and business class from Athens on American, both through EZ-Air at discounted prices ("bulk fares").  On top of the bargain coach fare, Lufthansa sent me an offer for a $710 upgrade to business on the flight from St. Louis to Frankfurt, which I quickly took them up on.

Then Lufthansa oversold the flight to Frankfurt, revoked my upgrade, and involuntarily rebooked me to Barcelona in coach on United.  Coming back from Athens, the plane came in with a broken business class seat. Even though that wasn't my seat, they were going to bump me if they couldn't fix the seat because I had paid such a discounted fare.  But ultimately they fixed the seat (at least enough for someone to occupy it) so I didn't get bumped.

I'm going off topic here.  I was bumped on 3 out of the first 4 flights I took on Lufthansa.  I avoid that airline as a result.   

23 hours ago, wcflats said:

We used EZ once and going forward will just book directly with the airline.  Problems with all segments as noted. Because it’s a bulk purchase the tickets are not purchased until just before travel.  Yes it’s less costly but ultimately there’s a price for that.  Not for everyone but we like to do it ourselves.

100% agree! I will no longer book these types of "air deals" with cruise lines.  Only got burned doing so once...but once was enough!  I am quite confident that I can book acceptable flights...even if it costs me a bit more up front.

2 hours ago, rjack22 said:

Thanks.   I am 70 days out right now.    So 25 days from the 45 day window to make changes.   I am quite happy with my flights and I have not seen a better price.   I very much doubt I would be making any changes.    Should I do it?    I would feel better knowing my flights were "locked in".

Not sure what locked in means to you.  If ticketed you may be able to reserve a seat (possibly $$) but are still subject to flight changes and cancellations.

You will still have a restricted ticket that if things go sideways you have fewer rights than those that booked a full fare ticket directly from the airline.

Consolidators are usually great for international flights..  

On 12/15/2022 at 10:30 AM, ldubs said:

Makes sense.  Can the EZAir be paid in full separately ahead of the cruise fare final payment?  

Yes it can. You can either call in to reservations and have an agent do it for you or go through your cruise personalizer. Keep in mind that once you use the early ticket request feature, you will no longer be able to make any voluntary changes without penalty.

• Thanks 1

Again I don't see much changing in 25 days.    If anything we would have to cancel the whole trip if ill or death, etc.   And our Princess Premium insurance should cover that.     I guess what I'm really worried about is losing my airline reservation because it isn't paid.   Some kind of screw up.

I was able to book our seats from the beginning when I first booked EZAir.    The reason I used EZAir (for the first time) rather than booking myself as I have always done is that at the time things were very "iffy" as to whether we would be able to do this cruise due to all of the COVID restrictions.   I wanted to be able to get back as much money as possible if we should have to cancel.

4 hours ago, racj846 said:

No.  But your ticket becomes restricted, therefore you are subject to the rules and regs of the airline.

Exactly. Once it becomes restricted - Princess insurance is handled differently in reference to cancellation of the cruise for illness. I found out the hard way on this.

Edited by Coral