Be careful with EZAir and upgrading your ticket… at least with Delta.

northwestbear

Booked a “comfort plus” ticket on Delta through EZAir for our upcoming cruise. When I signed onto the Delta app to check our flights it gave me an offer to upgrade for a set amount per segment per person. It being the holidays, I took the offer- my CC was charged and I got an Email from Delta confirming my upgrade and seat selection. Fast forward to two days ago and I again logged into the Delta app and it gave me the same offer and showed our reservations as “Comfort plus” with no seat assignments. I spent a total of 4 hours trying to get this figured out. The short of it as explained by Delta is EZAir tickets are “bulk” tickets and not upgradeable and this is a Princess restriction. So supposedly when Princess was notified of the upgrade, they cancelled it. I was not notified and was not credited for the amount I paid. I was initially told I would have to request a refund in writing since the upgrade was “non refundable” but I was finally able to speak with a Delta supervisor who agreed to refund my money. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I had the same experience with EZ Air for my upcoming flight on Air France. AF has the worst customer service ever. Today I got an email that AF re-booked a flight segment and it now arrives 50 minutes after my connection. They will not refund the seat assignments I paid for because they are "bulk" tickets. I will be reluctant to ever use EZ Air again with the issues i have had thus far.   

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this. I have purchased seat upgrades on my EZair flights numerous times on Alaska, Delta and British Airways and never had a problem - I wonder if this is because I purchased the upgrades less than 45 days before the flight (upgraded after the flights were ticketed)?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shelly97060 said:

Sorry to hear this. I have purchased seat upgrades on my EZair flights numerous times on Alaska, Delta and British Airways and never had a problem - I wonder if this is because I purchased the upgrades less than 45 days before the flight (upgraded after the flights were ticketed)?

How do you know the flights have been ticketed?

2 hours ago, Shelly97060 said:

How do you know the flights have been ticketed?

We used EZ once and going forward will just book directly with the airline.  Problems with all segments as noted. Because it’s a bulk purchase the tickets are not purchased until just before travel.  Yes it’s less costly but ultimately there’s a price for that.  Not for everyone but we like to do it ourselves.

17 hours ago, Chad_O said:

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I had the same experience with EZ Air for my upcoming flight on Air France. AF has the worst customer service ever. Today I got an email that AF re-booked a flight segment and it now arrives 50 minutes after my connection. They will not refund the seat assignments I paid for because they are "bulk" tickets. I will be reluctant to ever use EZ Air again with the issues i have had thus far.   

Did they give you a new connecting flight?  

While Princess usually makes the bulk purchase of EZ-Air tickets 45 days before the outbound flight it was reported this past summer that they were waiting even longer.  Passengers always have the option of requesting the flight to be ticketed after final payment has been made.  I just ask my TA to do it but IIRC there is a form somewhere on the website that can be completed.  Of course, after being ticketed no more changes can be made.

20 minutes ago, capriccio said:

While Princess usually makes the bulk purchase of EZ-Air tickets 45 days before the outbound flight it was reported this past summer that they were waiting even longer.  Passengers always have the option of requesting the flight to be ticketed after final payment has been made.  I just ask my TA to do it but IIRC there is a form somewhere on the website that can be completed.  Of course, after being ticketed no more changes can be made.

Makes sense.  Can the EZAir be paid in full separately ahead of the cruise fare final payment?  

I was able to request early ticketing for my flights through EZAir and once my flights were ticketed, I had no problems upgrading/selecting my seats via the American Airlines website. I suspect the issue here is that somehow Delta let you pay for upgrades before you had actual tickets.

• Like 1

I have always understood that, yes, your EZAir tickets must actually be 'ticketed'.   Until then, they are bulk 'Princess' tickets.  YOU can't access or change them.

There seems to be some real confusing going on with that right now!

Odd that Delta is sending out upgrade emails to people, when the ticket is still under Princess control?

The thing is, on many flights, especially to Europe, ALL of the better category 'Comfort Plus', etc, will be filled way before Princess processes your individual tickets.

I had looked into this and, in the past, you could request to have Princess go ahead and 'ticket' your EZAir.   This seems to be what DallasGuy posted just above.   Yes, you will be locked in at that price.  No more access to Fare Drops.   But, once you have YOUR ticket, then you can use your miles, or money, to pay to upgrade.

This would be helpful if you don't have enough miles to buy your tickets, EZAir has a decent price, and then you use your available points to upgrade.

I have heard that there are good EZAir deals on upgraded ticket categories.

But, if you want to also use miles you have sitting our there, going thru this process could possibly be a good deal.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

I have heard that there are good EZAir deals on upgraded ticket categories.

But buyer beware, you may be the first to get bumped.

For my Mediterranean B2B this summer I booked coach to Barcelona on Lufthansa and business class from Athens on American, both through EZ-Air at discounted prices ("bulk fares").  On top of the bargain coach fare, Lufthansa sent me an offer for a $710 upgrade to business on the flight from St. Louis to Frankfurt, which I quickly took them up on.

Then Lufthansa oversold the flight to Frankfurt, revoked my upgrade, and involuntarily rebooked me to Barcelona in coach on United.  Coming back from Athens, the plane came in with a broken business class seat. Even though that wasn't my seat, they were going to bump me if they couldn't fix the seat because I had paid such a discounted fare.  But ultimately they fixed the seat (at least enough for someone to occupy it) so I didn't get bumped.

The following will only add to the confusion of when ticketing will take place!

Transatlantic booked for next March.  Final payment just paid today.  Booked EZair about 6 weeks ago.  Air Canada outbound, Westjet for the return.

A week or so later decided to check the airline sites.  Imagine my surprise to find Westjet ticketed and able to select and pay for seats,  but not the case with AC.  

I had not requested early ticketing.

Nothing like consistent inconsistency.

On 12/14/2022 at 3:56 PM, northwestbear said:

Booked a “comfort plus” ticket on Delta through EZAir for our upcoming cruise. When I signed onto the Delta app to check our flights it gave me an offer to upgrade for a set amount per segment per person. It being the holidays, I took the offer- my CC was charged and I got an Email from Delta confirming my upgrade and seat selection. Fast forward to two days ago and I again logged into the Delta app and it gave me the same offer and showed our reservations as “Comfort plus” with no seat assignments. I spent a total of 4 hours trying to get this figured out. The short of it as explained by Delta is EZAir tickets are “bulk” tickets and not upgradeable and this is a Princess restriction. So supposedly when Princess was notified of the upgrade, they cancelled it. I was not notified and was not credited for the amount I paid. I was initially told I would have to request a refund in writing since the upgrade was “non refundable” but I was finally able to speak with a Delta supervisor who agreed to refund my money. 

Bingo. Exactly what I was told when I called Princess initially when booking my airfare. I explained to the rep I would be willing to fly economy from Los Angeles to FT Lauderdale for my transatlantic but there was no way in hell I was flying economy from Barcelona back to Los Angeles in economy for a long leg segment or even on a nonstop flight. The rep told me they didn’t have the capability to book economy plus or business class for individual segments. I knew right away I was going to have to book my own airfare then. Booked through my employer and got economy plus on a nonstop from LA to Florida and another economy plus, nonstop from Barcelona back to LA on the return. All in for $1000.00. I probably could have gotten a better price point with EZair but definitely wouldn’t have been economy plus and nonstop flights.

Edited by bdever
Spelling

I would suggest anyone be careful using EzAir. We often booked our flights using that avenue. Then we had our first ship delay returning to our home port in almost 30 cruises. We were left to fend for ourselves as we missed our flight home as a result of the delay. We spent 24 hours going back & forth between a front desk (waiting up to an hour at the desk as they didn’t answer the phone ) & “head office” to get our flight changed. The ship can do nothing except pass a message along. In the end we got a flight from Princess that required a 10 wait at the airport for a one hour flight home with flights leaving about every hour. We ended up booking our own flight home AND paying for it too. Princess could care less. 

• Thanks 1