Covid on cruise ships

Hi

my husband has just had a conversation with one of our neighbours

he has just returned from a cruise, on Princess, I think to NZ.

He told him he caught Covid on board and when asked how he managed 

the said he didn’t tell anybody.

what a painful selfish person.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Cruisers47 said:

Hi

I’m more concerned about the black mould that’s on the ships after being layed up and the air conditioning being turned off.

4 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I’m more concerned about the black mould that’s on the ships after being layed up and the air conditioning being turned off.

No problem. Early in the COVID pause an engineer explained here on CC about cold lay-up and warm lay-up. I hope I have those terms correct. The ships did NOT have air-con turned off. The engineer said if they do that, mould will grow in the walls and other inaccessible places (as you say). That is why ships that the cruise companies intended to return to service, had crew on board so the essential equipment on the ships stayed in use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

7 hours ago, Cruisers47 said:

Hi

Extremely selfish given how contagious the current variants are. No wonder it spreads like wildfire with idiots like that onboard.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Nah, it's people. Lots of anecdotal discussions about people just like the one the OP mentioned, although they wouldn't dare admit it online.

None of the contemporary ships went into cold layup. I believe the ex Pacific Dawn (now Ambience) was largely powered down as it was intended to be sold for scrap. It needed a lot of extra work before it came back into service as Ambience.

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Extremely selfish given how contagious the current variants are. No wonder it spreads like wildfire with idiots like that onboard.

This may be the grub that passed his germs on to my husband who was isolated for 6 days and then on to me for the last 2 days   Selfish is a nice word for the likes of him

• Like 2

13 hours ago, arxcards said:

Nah, it's people. Lots of anecdotal discussions about people just like the one the OP mentioned, although they wouldn't dare admit it online.

None of the contemporary ships went into cold layup. I believe the ex Pacific Dawn (now Ambience) was largely powered down as it was intended to be sold for scrap. It needed a lot of extra work before it came back into service as Ambience.

My half sister in Essex, UK is on 'Ambience' doing Canary Islands, Xmas/New Year.  Recent reviews of the ship are not that good.  Apparently run down.  She is operating from Tilbury, Essex.

Ye olde Regal Princess and Pacific Dawn lives on !  Sort of.

23 hours ago, Cruisers47 said:

Hi

Just like all those people who refuse to wash / sanitise their hand and all the others who get tummy troubles and still go to the buffet etc.  It never ceases to amaze me the self serving behaviour of some people! 

• Like 2

We have just returned from a cruise on Carnival Splendor (Dec 5 to Dec 15 2022). The management of Covid risks seemed to be optimal. We were required to have our international vaccination certificate, plus a negative RAT test performed in the 24 hours before the cruise.

THEN, at 9 am after the first night of the cruise, we were required to do another RAT test. Masks were required for indoor areas and crowded outdoor areas, unless eating or drinking. There was no obvious Covid on board, but I would be interested to hear whether some passengers were identified by the RAT test after the first night on board. There was certainly no offical mention of people on board being active Covid cases.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Blue Elephant said:

We have just returned from a cruise on Carnival Splendor (Dec 5 to Dec 15 2022). The management of Covid risks seemed to be optimal. We were required to have our international vaccination certificate, plus a negative RAT test performed in the 24 hours before the cruise.

THEN, at 9 am after the first night of the cruise, we were required to do another RAT test. Masks were required for indoor areas and crowded outdoor areas, unless eating or drinking. There was no obvious Covid on board, but I would be interested to hear whether some passengers were identified by the RAT test after the first night on board. There was certainly no offical mention of people on board being active Covid cases.

RAT testing on Carnival Splendor at 9 am after first night of the cruise 5/12 - 15/12 is interesting.  I was on Carnival Luminosa cruise from 4/12 - 11/12, where there was no RAT testing on morning after first night of the cruise.  I wonder why the different Carnival policy.  A woman on my evening table of 5 tested positive after she disembarked and is still positive.  (Yes we all wore masks when not dining.)

On 12/16/2022 at 8:27 AM, OzKiwiJJ said:

That's why I think mandatory tests every 2-3 days would be smart.

We have just returned from NZ on Coral Princess. All passengers were directed to do a further RAT test (supplied) on Day 3. The result had to be shown to your room attendant and I assume all test results were recorded. Not sure how many positive cases were flushed out but Covid precautions were then increased. The dead giveaway was the small knee high table left outside cabins where people were in quarantine.

14 hours ago, NeilonBoard said:

We have just returned from NZ on Coral Princess. All passengers were directed to do a further RAT test (supplied) on Day 3. The result had to be shown to your room attendant and I assume all test results were recorded. Not sure how many positive cases were flushed out but Covid precautions were then increased. The dead giveaway was the small knee high table left outside cabins where people were in quarantine.

This is a NZ requirement. We did it on Grand too. But we were instructed to put it in the bin if negative and alert staff if positive. I don't know if anyone checked, which is pretty poor, I think. I think you should have had to show it. 

• Like 2