Sun Princess - Original

nasa1974

10 hours ago, capriccio said:

I would say that the front area is much, much better that the Signature Sanctuary.  It has shade, a variety of seating arrangements, and the lounges seem to have more space between each group of two.  Princess has really blown it with the Sun Sanctuary.  It will be interesting to see if they make changes on the Star. 

@capriccio - Are you on the ship?

From the photos I've seen there don't seem to be any shaded areas with loungers - just chairs.

6 minutes ago, dides said:

Umai Hot Pot menu - credit Penney E

FB_IMG_17095563219012.thumb.jpg.6cd5b5c927433ba20bec232597a0877c.jpg

THANK YOU!

Finally a specialty restaurant that has something a vegetarian or vegan can order!

19 minutes ago, chamima said:

@capriccio - Are you on the ship?

From the photos I've seen there don't seem to be any shaded areas with loungers - just chairs.

No, I was relying on the earlier posted picture where it looks like the back row (?) has a blue glass ceiling that depending upon the sun location could provide some protection and the front row has slanted blue glass that could do the same.  Hopefully someone on board on this cruise or the next can clarify.  At any rate, to me it certainly looks much more comfortable than the Sanctuary.

image.jpeg.d1c92e6fe2c13c0c59406b6f27090878.jpeg

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, KLM3164 said:

From what I’ve read I believe you do get in as the Signature Suite (same size as mini-suite) is a S9 cabin. 

1 hour ago, Fortunate 2 travel said:

DH and I booked a S9 which includes all Signature benefits.  It is the same size as a mini suite, but a higher price.  

6 hours ago, dog said:

Mini suites are not full suites.

I guess we will all get used to it, but Princess has itself to blame for the confusion it created with the introduction of "Reserve" and "Signature" cabins that are no larger than their plain ol' counterparts, sold in tandem with "Suites" that are much larger with separate living areas.  But I guess that is par for the course when they introduced the concept of the "Mini-Suite" that didn't get treated like a "Suite" in any way, shape or form.  (Those cabins should have always been designated as "Deluxe Balconies").  That earlier confusion led to the usage of the term "Full Suite" so as to differentiate real Suites from Mini-Suites, but now with the inclusion of some Mini-Suite sized cabins into the ranks of "Suites that are treated like Suites", it is probably time to retire the term "Full Suite" as that term doesn't really have any applicability to the Sphere Class Ships.  Putting an "S" in front of a Mini-Suite cabin does not make it a "Full Suite" when it does not have a separate living area, and does not have an upgraded bathroom with a tub.  It is a Mini-Suite with "Signature Privileges."

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

there was never an issue getting lounges and a handful of cabanas were first come, first served (but did tend to get hogged).

It was the same in the Haven on Norwegian Joy.  We were able to find places to sit, but the cabana hogs were out in force.  Nothing more annoying than seeing a random towel and some dime store paperback sitting on an otherwise empty chair in a prime space for 3 straight hours in the middle of the day.  Someday I am going to throw the towel on the ground and toss the paperback in the trash.  The chair hog isn’t reading it anyway.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CatMom72 said:

It was the same in the Haven on Norwegian Joy.  We were able to find places to sit, but the cabana hogs were out in force.  Nothing more annoying than seeing a random towel and some dime store paperback sitting on an otherwise empty chair in a prime space for 3 straight hours in the middle of the day.  Someday I am going to throw the towel on the ground and toss the paperback in the trash.  The chair hog isn’t reading it anyway.

They should incorporate a process where the medallion is used to require people to update their presence on a regular basis. They could have a responder on the lounge chair were the lounge chair would timeout if not updated by a certain time. If timed out then chair is open - also if it has been updated then you can’t check in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Globaler said:

They should incorporate a process where the medallion is used to require people to update their presence on a regular basis. They could have a responder on the lounge chair were the lounge chair would timeout if not updated by a certain time. If timed out then chair is open - also if it has been updated then you can’t check in.

I agree that the cruise lines should have better policies when it comes to chair/cabana hogs.  They put up signs telling people not to do it and many threaten to remove property that is left unattended for more than 30 minutes.  But how often is this really enforced? Not only do I think it’s hard to manage this without enough staff (and/or a system like the one you describe), I think staff are reluctant to incur the wrath of a chair hog who returns to find its items are gone.

• Like 1

Just now, CatMom72 said:

I agree that the cruise lines should have better policies when it comes to chair/cabana hogs.  They put up signs telling people not to do it and many threaten to remove property that is left unattended for more than 30 minutes.  But how often is this really enforced? Not only do I think it’s hard to manage this without enough staff (and/or a system like the one you describe), I think staff are reluctant to incur the wrath of a chair hog who returns to find its items are gone.

Agree - you couldn’t pay me to be the chair monitor. People are rude and downright nasty when it comes to loungers.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

I guess we will all get used to it, but Princess has itself to blame for the confusion it created with the introduction of "Reserve" and "Signature" cabins that are no larger than their plain ol' counterparts, sold in tandem with "Suites" that are much larger with separate living areas.  But I guess that is par for the course when they introduced the concept of the "Mini-Suite" that didn't get treated like a "Suite" in any way, shape or form.  (Those cabins should have always been designated as "Deluxe Balconies").  That earlier confusion led to the usage of the term "Full Suite" so as to differentiate real Suites from Mini-Suites, but now with the inclusion of some Mini-Suite sized cabins into the ranks of "Suites that are treated like Suites", it is probably time to retire the term "Full Suite" as that term doesn't really have any applicability to the Sphere Class Ships.  Putting an "S" in front of a Mini-Suite cabin does not make it a "Full Suite" when it does not have a separate living area, and does not have an upgraded bathroom with a tub.  It is a Mini-Suite with "Signature Privileges."

Just did a mock booking of a S9 and the website says “Choose a luxurious Signature Suite with a large balcony, a separate sitting area, along with Signature upgrades, including access to the Signature Restaurant, Signature Lounge and private Signature area of the Sanctuary along with special suite-only benefits”.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Globaler said:

Agree - you couldn’t pay me to be the chair monitor. People are rude and downright nasty when it comes to loungers.

Agreed. I do not even go to the pool deck looking for a lounger anymore. Once was enough. Lady was so rude when I sat in a completely empty lounge three down from her stating she was holding the whole row for her family. (It wasn’t that nicely stated) I’ve never been back. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Fortunate 2 travel said:

Just did a mock booking of a S9 and the website says “Choose a luxurious Signature Suite with a large balcony, a separate sitting area, along with Signature upgrades, including access to the Signature Restaurant, Signature Lounge and private Signature area of the Sanctuary along with special suite-only benefits”.

And compare that to the description of a "regular" Mini-Suite:

"Choose a luxurious Mini-Suite with balcony which is substantially larger than a Balcony stateroom. A Mini-Suite includes a separate sitting area with sofa bed, and premium bathroom amenities. For families or groups needing a little extra space, Mini-Suites offer an appealing and affordable option."

The reference to a "balcony which is substantially larger than a Balcony stateroom" is a bit of a mystery. For example, looking at the Deck Plan, compare the balcony size of 11450 (MS) with 11466 (Balcony).

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Thanks 1

Love On Tour just posted this video of the 3 levels of the MDR. He comments that tonight is a formal night. I think they are in Athens today, so that’s interesting that formal night isn’t on a sea day.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, dides said:

Some menus for Lido Grill, Lido Tacos and Lido Greens - credit Jackie C on FB.

FB_IMG_17095570490642.thumb.jpg.e78e939b0a89849bc718e8945a036682.jpg

FB_IMG_17095570399522.thumb.jpg.ab11a7f0f3fb5337b16531c35eb26f26.jpg

FB_IMG_17095570434852.thumb.jpg.b26514bc3bdda8310bf7bac10b837123.jpg

Too bad they no longer offer a grilled chicken sandwich.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Just to clarify, is the Signature Sun Deck only for guests in FULL SUITES, or is it also accessible to guests in cabins that are not Suites, but are being sold as having Signature benefits?  If I book a Signature Mini-Suite, do I get in?

The "upper type" mini suites are Reserve benefits, not Signature, if that helps 😉

2 minutes ago, jwattle said:

The "upper type" mini suites are Reserve benefits, not Signature, if that helps 😉

If the stateroom is a S9 it has full signature suite benefits according to the Official Princess website.  I have a S9 booked and my booking confirmation also verifies full signature benefits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Fortunate 2 travel said:

If the stateroom is a S9 it has full signature suite benefits according to the Official Princess website.  I have a S9 booked and my booking confirmation also verifies full signature benefits.

I was referring to the "reserve min suites", not the "signature suites". 🙂

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Catherine Claus said:

Has there been any word when Spellbound will be available?  We will be on the ship in a few days.   Hoping Park 19 will finally be open for our sailing.

As mentioned earlier - this press release gives the impression Spellbound won't be ready until after the first 3 cruises. And we were told something similar by Princess PR when the first cruise was cancelled.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, jwattle said:

Well, that's the problem.  There are regular Mini-Suites (11446).  And then there are "upper type" Mini-Suites that have Reserve benefits, (11440) and then there are "upper, upper type" Mini-Suites that have Signature Suite status (11456).  The cabins are all in a row with one another and are identical in all respects except for the benefits that are conferred upon the occupants of each.  In other words, the cabins don't change.  Only what comes with them.

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Well, that's the problem.  There are regular Mini-Suites (11446).  And then there are "upper type" Mini-Suites that have Reserve benefits, (11440) and then there are "upper, upper type" Mini-Suites that have Signature Suite status (11456).  The cabins are all in a row with one another and are identical in all respects except for the benefits that are conferred upon the occupants of each.  In other words, the cabins don't change.  Only what comes with them.

But the "upper upper" are titled Signature Suites, not Signature Mini Suites, so that it is clear about the benefits. 🙂 Not trying to argue.

• Thanks 1

Flame suit on....

Someone please start a thread about signature suites and benefits. I would guess a majority of the folks looking for information about the Sun Princess here could care less if you have a benefit or not. Start up your own thread. Even the sanctuary posts are getting old and there is a thread for that.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, jwattle said:

But the "upper upper" are titled Signature Suites, not Signature Mini Suites, so that it is clear about the benefits. 🙂 Not trying to argue.

Totally get it.  Just pointing out how the term "Full Suite" has lost its meaning when a cabin that is sold as a Suite is half the size of what we have come to know as a "Full Suite" and has no tub or upgraded bathroom.  Princess just waved its wand and declared 11456 to be a Suite.  Indeed, on any given cruise, it could declare that entire row of Mini-Suites from 11440 to 11458 to be Suites.  Or declare them to be Reserve Mini-Suites.  Or sell them as regular Mini-Suites.  The point being that if a cabin can transform from a regular Mini-Suite to a Reserve Mini-Suite to a Signature Suite with a mere keystroke and color change based on demand for that particular cruise, is that cabin really a "Full" anything?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, nasa1974 said:

I would guess a majority of the folks looking for information about the Sun Princess here could care less if you have a benefit or not.

Sorry, but I could not disagree more.  Sun Princess is the first ship to roll out cabins with the following designations:

• Mini-Suites
  • Reserve Mini-Suites
  • Cabana Mini-Suites
  • Reserve Cabana Mini-Suites
  • Signature Suites (that are shaped like Mini-Suites)

As well as being the first ship to roll out cabins that have:

• Reserve Cabana Deck Privileges
  • Reserve Dining Privileges
  • Signature Sun Deck Privileges
  • Signature Dining Privileges.

And is the first ship to have a newly configured Sanctuary that is partially a Sanctuary and partially not.  I think that it is perfectly logical for people looking to figure out what they get for the price they are paying and what they do not get, to obtain that information in a thread with the title "Sun Princess."  And now that the ship is operational and there are people on board, what were once assumptions can now be verified.

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Sorry, but I could not disagree more.  Sun Princess is the first ship to roll out cabins with the following designations:

• Mini-Suites
  • Reserve Mini-Suites
  • Cabana Mini-Suites
  • Reserve Cabana Mini-Suites
  • Signature Suites (that are shaped like Mini-Suites)

As well as being the first ship to roll out cabins that have:

• Reserve Cabana Deck Privileges
  • Reserve Dining Privileges
  • Signature Sun Deck Privileges
  • Signature Dining Privileges.

And is the first ship to have a newly configured Sanctuary that is partially a Sanctuary and partially not.  I think that it is perfectly logical for people looking to figure out what they get for the price they are paying and what they do not get, to obtain that information in a thread with the title "Sun Princess."  And now that the ship is operational and there are people on board, what were once assumptions can now be verified.

How about I start a thread that says "Sun Princess - Anything You Want to Know About Suites". That seems pretty straight forward and could be helpful. 

I bumped up the Sanctuary thread. It fell to the bottom of page 4.

Sorry, I initially linked the wrong thread.

Edited by nasa1974
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1