Nieuw Statendam review; good cruise but HAL you can't cut everything

LMaxwell

17 hours ago, vicd1969 said:

Great notes on your cruise experience on the NS. My Nieuw Statendam MDR and Tamarind experience largely matched yours this past November. Being burned by the slow MDR anytime dining, I’m going to aim for Club Orange next time whenever I sail a Pinnacle ship. For what it’s worth, our cruise director told us in her Q&A session that the shipboard staff have no flexibility in setting up activities - they have to follow the script from Corporate. It seems HAL is conceding the lack of ship activities as a comparative weakness and has a strategy of focusing on non-Caribbean itineraries and longer cruises to deploy their activities budget. 

Why have a cruise director at all? They aren't in charge of activity staff, they aren't very interactive, the Captain handles most mid-day announcements, the activity staff handled all tender announcements.  When asked for an hour of Karaoke was told 'We aren't allowed'.  They don't have the freedom to even do a single deck party or sail away party in the Caribbean? What DO they do? Fire the CD's and put that money into entertainment and activities if they are that powerless. 

We take 4-6 Caribbean getaway cruises each year; HAL needs to improve their entertainment. Don't they ever send any corporate people on Celebrity to see what competition is doing? 

2 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

We take 4-6 Caribbean getaway cruises each year; HAL needs to improve their entertainment. Don't they ever send any corporate people on Celebrity to see what competition is doing? 

Wouldn't we then just run the risk of cruiselines all being the same then? There isn't alot of room for differentiation within a limited price point. Isn't is better that we have options of lines that focus on different forms of entertainment and then we just sail with the one that best matches our preferences?

We happen to really like live music - and that is what has drawn us to HAL. We are trying Celebrity (and Princess and NCL) again within the next 12 months, but I have a feeling HAL will be our preference overall for entertainment since we love live music. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

Wouldn't we then just run the risk of cruiselines all being the same then? There isn't alot of room for differentiation within a limited price point. Isn't is better that we have options of lines that focus on different forms of entertainment and then we just sail with the one that best matches our preferences?

Cutting out your entire cultural program, food demonstrations, no parties, no live music anywhere during the day, etc. isn't a differentiation, it's just providing less. If HAL wants to be the cultural/food/history line, that is fine and I support that direction, but they need to deliver.  You can't chop everything out and say "See, we are different." You can't employ useless CD's that aren't even allowed to schedule events.  This is advertised as a premium product and experience. 

And, honestly, after spending thousands of dollars with the promise of some of these items, it is disappointing to not have them happen and there's literally zero way to know until you pay and board.  Believe me, I'm not interested in the Twerk Contest or having someone scream in my face about FUN FUN FUN all day.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

I don't know why I had to get the runaround lies from 3 different people in the spa at all. Won't happen again for me; these tactics are very scummy and designed to get people to pay more. 

I'm not sure what you mean by tactics being scummy and designed to get people to pay more? 

We actually received a Coupon each that they put in the Mailbox that had $70 off the Spa.  We paid the difference plus the Gratuity and we chose the Fire and Ice one.  My Daughter also received one in her Mailbox and since she already had a Pedi she used it toward a haircut.  The Coupons were only good on Port Days.  We went off the Ship in the a.m. and went to the Spa in the afternoon. 

I'm sorry to hear and don't know why you had a problem with getting an appointment.  They had two Stations and two Gals doing the Pedicures.  

6 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Cutting out your entire cultural program, food demonstrations, no parties, no live music anywhere during the day, etc. isn't a differentiation, it's just providing less. If HAL wants to be the cultural/food/history line, that is fine and I support that direction, but they need to deliver.  You can't chop everything out and say "See, we are different." You can't employ useless CD's that aren't even allowed to schedule events.  This is advertised as a premium product and experience. 

And, honestly, after spending thousands of dollars with the promise of some of these items, it is disappointing to not have them happen and there's literally zero way to know until you pay and board.  Believe me, I'm not interested in the Twerk Contest or having someone scream in my face about FUN FUN FUN all day.  

A misunderstanding -  I was referring to your suggestion that HAL check out Celebrity and see what they are doing.

This sounds more like you want HAL to include more of the things they (HAL)  have done in the past. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, idiebabe said:

I'm not sure what you mean by tactics being scummy and designed to get people to pay more? 

We actually received a Coupon each that they put in the Mailbox that had $70 off the Spa.  We paid the difference plus the Gratuity and we chose the Fire and Ice one.  My Daughter also received one in her Mailbox and since she already had a Pedi she used it toward a haircut.  The Coupons were only good on Port Days.  We went off the Ship in the a.m. and went to the Spa in the afternoon. 

I'm sorry to hear and don't know why you had a problem with getting an appointment.  They had two Stations and two Gals doing the Pedicures.  

1. Whipping out a printed price list 30% higher than shown in Navigator app and telling me the app is wrong is scummy. 

2. Telling me a unisex service is only for women and men need to select a higher cost service is scummy. 

3. Telling me a bald faced lie that my gift card is only valid on services priced above $100 , is scummy. 

Any time any service provider refuses to honor their T&C's and tries to upsell you, it is scummy. Doesn't matter what company. 

I didn't have a problem actually getting an appointment on a port day; which the terms and conditions said it was good for. 

Edited by LMaxwell
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, rodndonna said:

A misunderstanding -  I was referring to your suggestion that HAL check out Celebrity and see what they are doing.

This sounds more like you want HAL to include more of the things they (HAL)  have done in the past. 

Either include what they should; or see what competition does for the same age demographic and similar price point. They don't need to duplicate it step for step, but they need to be aware what competition is doing and what resonates with paying guests or not.  

Have I been on ships before where certain venues/lounges were closed for private functions/groups? Yes. 

Have I been on ships before where complete entertainment or activity programs were cancelled for a week to make space for private functions/groups? No.  I would only expect such significant modifications to the core product on a bespoke charter cruise; which everyone onboard would be aware of and paid for their charter entertainment on. 

53 minutes ago, idiebabe said:

I don't know why I had to get the runaround lies from 3 different people in the spa at all. Won't happen again for me; these tactics are very scummy and designed to get people to pay more. 

I have to assume it was caused by their incompetence more than anything, as they have been training so many new staff. They have always seemed happy to take our money for both myself and my wife. Last trip we both had our toenails done in Half-moon-cay-blue!

1 hour ago, LMaxwell said:

Where were the warnings? The cruise director wasn't even present for the first few days; she was at a conference.  Yes, I have seen more extreme late night sets and listed as 18+ or adult only. 

We went to all 4 of the comedian's shows, 2 early, 2 late.  At the end of each early show, the comedian and the cruise director (lead entertainment host when the official director was out) both announced that the later show "would be a bit edgier and would not be appropriate for children".  They both repeated those cautions at the start of the later shows.  I never saw any parents look at each other or their kids after those announcements were made so I assume they had discussed their kid's attendance before going to the "edgier" show.

2 hours ago, rodndonna said:

We happen to really like live music - and that is what has drawn us to HAL. We are trying Celebrity (and Princess and NCL) again within the next 12 months, but I have a feeling HAL will be our preference overall for entertainment since we love live music. 

I love live music too and that is what I've enjoyed about recent Celebrity cruises. Live music at the pool during the afternoon. Live music in various bars including the coffee bar and the cellar masters (wine bar) at various times during the day, as well as in the atrium area. Their Celebrity orchestra backs all the shows (and on Constellation they were terrific) and also performs at various other venues during the cruise -- for example, a Dixieland performance one evening).

HAL having most of their musical options available during a limited slice of each day (and not providing other options at other times during the day) is definitely NOT a plus.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, robotpony said:

I have to assume it was caused by their incompetence more than anything, as they have been training so many new staff. They have always seemed happy to take our money for both myself and my wife. Last trip we both had our toenails done in Half-moon-cay-blue!

The older I get, the less applicable Hanlon's razor seems to be.  I have a hard time accepting 3 diff people made 3 diff mistakes; one being the manager. 

1 hour ago, AFNavigator said:

We went to all 4 of the comedian's shows, 2 early, 2 late.  At the end of each early show, the comedian and the cruise director (lead entertainment host when the official director was out) both announced that the later show "would be a bit edgier and would not be appropriate for children".  They both repeated those cautions at the start of the later shows.  I never saw any parents look at each other or their kids after those announcements were made so I assume they had discussed their kid's attendance before going to the "edgier" show.

Didn't go to the 7;30 shows, just the 9:30 shows. No announcements made at the first 9:30 show, though they did make one at the second 9:30 show. Nothing on the daily paper or app.  I thought he was funny, didn't bother me that much, but I am sure guest services caught an earful about the comedian. 

30 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I love live music too and that is what I've enjoyed about recent Celebrity cruises. Live music at the pool during the afternoon. Live music in various bars including the coffee bar and the cellar masters (wine bar) at various times during the day, as well as in the atrium area. Their Celebrity orchestra backs all the shows (and on Constellation they were terrific) and also performs at various other venues during the cruise -- for example, a Dixieland performance one evening).

HAL having most of their musical options available during a limited slice of each day (and not providing other options at other times during the day) is definitely NOT a plus.

On Nieuw Amsterdam in October there was a piano player during happy hour at Ocean Bar providing background music. None on Nieuw Statendam. 

One day there was a music trivia by the Sea View pool; it was fun, only lasted 20 minutes. Soooooooooooooo many people after that were wondering why they didn't keep on playing music by Seaview. Lots of people wishing for a Duo out there. Perfect spot. 

3 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Why have a cruise director at all? They aren't in charge of activity staff, they aren't very interactive, the Captain handles most mid-day announcements, the activity staff handled all tender announcements.  When asked for an hour of Karaoke was told 'We aren't allowed'.  They don't have the freedom to even do a single deck party or sail away party in the Caribbean? What DO they do? Fire the CD's and put that money into entertainment and activities if they are that powerless. 

I agree, but won't have a HAL experience until Feb.  All my cruises are with HAL, but 20 years dated.

No doubt from reading all the reviews, right now I am thinking my next cruise (Oct 2023) will end up being Celebrity.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Good to hear. Our next cruise is on Celebrity which will be our first with them and really looking forward to it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bdd123 said:

I agree, but won't have a HAL experience until Feb.  All my cruises are with HAL, but 20 years dated.

No doubt from reading all the reviews, right now I am thinking my next cruise (Oct 2023) will end up being Celebrity.

Have to agree having also just come off the Statendam on Saturday. Wonderful ship, crew and very good food. However, during sea days, what did HAL offer us? Lots of trivia and a few other games, how to flatten my belly, how to stop the skin aging process, diamond and gemstone enrichment seminars, fragrance sales, acupuncture benefits and handbag and sunglasses sale. No afternoon movies or the lectures on multiple topics that used to be offered. Naturally, using the pools was pretty much out of the question unless one "claims" a chair very early in the morning even though HAL says this isn't allowed. The only day it was safe to take my 90yr old friend to enjoy the pool was the stop at Half Moon Cay as we stayed on the ship.

We'll be on the Rotterdam in February and expect the same but have canceled our HAL cruise in December 2023 and switched to another cruise line that does offer some sea day activities suited for us and not simply a sales promotion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

On Nieuw Amsterdam in October there was a piano player during happy hour at Ocean Bar providing background music. None on Nieuw Statendam. 

On the Rotterdam last September there was a piano player in the Ocean bar (I guess it was probably happy hour, pre dinner time) . It was a little sad though as the bar was packed, but no one was listening and just raised their voices quite loudly to speak over him while playing. Had we not started polite applause between songs, I don't think anyone would have even applauded. I hope that would not be a common experience, but it was our only cruise of 4 with a piano player in the Ocean bar. 

16 minutes ago, PROCRUISE said:

Have to agree having also just come off the Statendam on Saturday. Wonderful ship, crew and very good food. However, during sea days, what did HAL offer us? Lots of trivia and a few other games, how to flatten my belly, how to stop the skin aging process, diamond and gemstone enrichment seminars, fragrance sales, acupuncture benefits and handbag and sunglasses sale. No afternoon movies or the lectures on multiple topics that used to be offered. Naturally, using the pools was pretty much out of the question unless one "claims" a chair very early in the morning even though HAL says this isn't allowed. The only day it was safe to take my 90yr old friend to enjoy the pool was the stop at Half Moon Cay as we stayed on the ship.

We'll be on the Rotterdam in February and expect the same but have canceled our HAL cruise in December 2023 and switched to another cruise line that does offer some sea day activities suited for us and not simply a sales promotion.

As previously reported in this thread, I was also on this cruise. You probably did not notice but I analyzed the activities on sea days and determined that more than 50% of the daily activities involved spending more money! Go figure or is that try and reshape your figure 😀

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Didn't go to the 7;30 shows, just the 9:30 shows. No announcements made at the first 9:30 show, though they did make one at the second 9:30 show. Nothing on the daily paper or app.  I thought he was funny, didn't bother me that much, but I am sure guest services caught an earful about the comedian. 

Hmmm, I thought I recalled the back-up cruise director announce the caution prior to the first 9:30 show too..  They definitely did not have any cautions in the program though.

We definitely liked him better than the two dry comedian's on a Eurodam cruise last year..barely raised any laughs then from most of the crowd.  This guy had much of the crowd rolling nearly all of his routines.

1 minute ago, RedneckBob said:

As previously reported in this thread, I was also on this cruise. You probably did not notice but I analyzed the activities on sea days and determined that more than 50% of the daily activities involved spending more money! Go figure or is that try and reshape your figure 😀

Their intent is to reshape your figure by thinning your wallet.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, PROCRUISE said:

Agree with wonderful ship, crew, and food for the Konigsdam as well which I left this past Saturday. But I was quite disappointed over the lack of activities during sea days for those who are not interested in all the programs offered by the Spa (which they now title as "Promotions" on the daily schedule.) I do not believe we had a CD for the first 5 days as announcements were made by Entertainment Director. I think a CD boarded in Puerto Vallarta who offered a talk on Surfing as well as the history of HAL which I have seen at least twice. I believe these presentations are written in Seattle and are read from a floor teleprompter on stage by whoever is giving them. Would love to have some real enrichment lectures as in the past but perhaps I am no longer the clientele that HAL wants.

• Like 1