Check in tips ?

travelmama06

Everyone says check in at midnight but I checked in for my upcoming cruise at around 830-9 the next morning and was still able to get. 10am checkin. There were still several earlier slots available has I wanted them….glad o went with the extra sleep haha

It appears from other threads that check-in times aren't even being checked at the dock. So probably doesn't really matter.

But I have a question. We checked in online for our November cruise. For our upcoming cruise next month will we have to do the picture thing again? Or is it "on file"?

Edited by schmoopie17

7 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

But I have a question. We checked in online for our November cruise. For our upcoming cruise next month will we have to do the picture thing again? Or is it "on file"?

What is the “picture thing”?  I haven’t cruised in 4 years and I’ve been seeing about taking a picture to check in?

6 hours ago, travelmama06 said:

Online check in should be available tomorrow:)

any tips ?

I have our passport #’s, flight info, pictures taken !

anything else ?

thanks in advance !!

only 3 weeks to go - wahoo !!

name, address, phone for all passengers

Passport number 

passport expiration

photos (face straight into the camera, no glasses, headshot (chest to head),  plain background (white wall) - basically a mug shot)

emergency point of contact and phone number. 

Credit card number, expiration, code

Have multiple photos available, the system is picky. Photos that worked for our August cruise didn’t work for our October cruise. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, sarahandmike23 said:

What is the “picture thing”?  I haven’t cruised in 4 years and I’ve been seeing about taking a picture to check in?

You have to upload a picture (basically same type of picture as a passport photo) to be able to complete the check in process

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sarahandmike23 said:

You need to upload a photo of each passenger to complete check in. 

Have multiple photos available, the system is picky. Photos that worked for our August cruise didn’t work for our October cruise. 

photos (face straight into the camera, no glasses, plain background (white wall) - basically a mug shot)

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

You need to upload a photo of each passenger to complete check in. 

photos (face straight into the camera, no glasses, plain background (white wall) - basically a mug shot)

Does it matter if you smile or not?  

I know passport photos are no open smiles. 

6 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

name, address, phone for all passengers

Also an email address for each passenger (can be shared).  The first time you use any email address, or a phone number, it'll be sent a verification code.  So be sure you have access to the email addresses, and can see the texts on each phone. 

After you enter a (postal) address, the system may suggest a standardized (corrected) version.  In some cases (like ours) that "corrected" version will then fail to be accepted (NSW changed to NS), so just press "use as entered" or similar words.

You'll also need a decent internet connection.  As part of the process you have to play a Youtube safety video one time for each passenger.  We found that step impossible using the onboard wi-fi on a sea day (to check in for our next ship), had to wait for mobile data on land. 

6 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Same for us.  Doesn't have to be perfect, just get past the filter, if it's not that good a fresh photo will be taken at the physical check in.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tutone56 said:

Hope I’m not hijacking this thread but is there somewhere on NCL’s site that states what’s required for check in?  I don’t remember ever needing photos, etc. on previous cruises when checking in.

These are the requirements for online check in. If you don’t do online check in, they can do everything for you at the dock. 

• Like 1

On 12/24/2022 at 5:36 PM, SunshineGal2022 said:

Does it matter if you smile or not? 

I know passport photos are no open smiles.

I'd like the answer to this, too. I haven't cruised since 2018, before this was required for online check-in. And my passport is nearly 10 years old -- from a time when the photo truly had to be a mug shot -- no smile of any kind allowed. DH just renewed his passport and now the photo can be a neutral, natural expression, which can include a close-lipped smile. Does the expression matter to NCL? I seem to remember back when we would have our photo taken at the check-in desk at the pier, it was okay to smile.

The link posted by CILCIANRQTS about "preparing for your cruise" only says this about the photo: "Take a Selfie Photo: Use your computer webcam or mobile phone camera to capture your pre-cruise security photo." TIA!

6 minutes ago, Sandyshore said:

I'd like the answer to this, too. I haven't cruised since 2018, before this was required for online check-in. And my passport is nearly 10 years old -- from a time when the photo truly had to be a mug shot -- no smile of any kind allowed. DH just renewed his passport and now the photo can be a neutral, natural expression, which can include a close-lipped smile. Does the expression matter to NCL? I seem to remember back when we would have our photo taken at the check-in desk at the pier, it was okay to smile.

The link posted by CILCIANRQTS about "preparing for your cruise" only says this about the photo: "Take a Selfie Photo: Use your computer webcam or mobile phone camera to capture your pre-cruise security photo." TIA!

When you get to the pier, if they don’t like your photo they will retake it. Don’t worry about it. 

• Like 1

Let me see if I understand all of the advice:

Checking in for myself and my two (2) minor children (17 and 15). 

1) Can I check in for all three of us at the same time?

2) Can I use my phone and email for all three?

3) I will have my passport number and expiration. Children are traveling with original birth certificates for both, and drivers license for the 17 year old. What information do I fill out for children at online checkin?

4) I can use same form of payment at checkin for all three?

5 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Also, do I get eDocs the same day I do online checkin? Should these include all of the perks and services I have paid for?

Mine took around 24hrs to show up. But yes it will have everything you paid for listed