Dining Part 2

cruisekitty22

2 hours ago, cruisekitty22 said:

Is it better to book dining now 125 days out or book all dining on the ship?  I don't want to miss out on Specialty dining times that I want?

Like others, I always book at the first opportunity.  That way you know you have a place to dine on a given night.  Then, if you're not feeling French on Tuesday, or you have a conflicting event at that time, you can always check around for alternatives knowing you have the fallback.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Waiting to book onboard is a very good way to miss out on the times you want.

I would have to say that I have never had any trouble getting the reservations that I wanted onboard. I fairly often have needed to book onboard due to wanting more than one reservation in the same restaurant (and I can’t be bothered to phone) or not having credits to cover the fixed charge places.

However, I generally board fairly early and it is nice not to have that as something you need to do straight after boarding if you can avoid it. I’d alway take 5 minutes online at home over having to sort it out on the day. There is beer to be drunk after all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, cruisekitty22 said:

Is it better to book dining now 125 days out or book all dining on the ship?  I don't want to miss out on Specialty dining times that I want?

Since you say that you're got specific times that you want, it's definitely best to get your dining booked at the 125 days-out.  Even though NCL doesn't make all reservations available at that time, you'd risk not having your preferred time available on embarkation day.

Can I just suggest that you call to get a Rep to help you get your times.  I know lots of people swear by doing it online, but lots of other people find that they run into issues that way.  As long as you find a time when it's not too a long a wait on hold, a Rep can (usually) go through the process with you in quick order.

28 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

I would have to say that I have never had any trouble getting the reservations that I wanted onboard. I fairly often have needed to book onboard due to wanting more than one reservation in the same restaurant (and I can’t be bothered to phone) or not having credits to cover the fixed charge places.

However, I generally board fairly early and it is nice not to have that as something you need to do straight after boarding if you can avoid it. I’d alway take 5 minutes online at home over having to sort it out on the day. There is beer to be drunk after all.

OTOH, I prefer to delay boarding until after crowd thins out and the lines are shorter.  I also prefer dining at 1900.  Consequently, I prefer to book my dining as soon as possible.   Why spend time standing in line once on board, time which could be better spent drinking beer?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

OTOH, I prefer to delay boarding until after crowd thins out and the lines are shorter.  I also prefer dining at 1900.  Consequently, I prefer to book my dining as soon as possible.   Why spend time standing in line once on board, time which could be better spent drinking beer?

Just to be clear, as I said earlier, why not book anyway. I do book my restaurants in advance, other than ones which are a pain to do (multiple bookings in the same restaurant or ones that need payment in advance). I was just saying that not booking in advance doesn’t necessarily mean that you will miss out.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, fordpickup said:

When you get on board, where would the best place be to make reservations for the cruise?

There will be an area somewhere on embarkation day where you can do your reservations. Often a bar or restaurant with a few people at tables to help you out. Location varies.

Alternatively you could use the app or big screens in the stairway areas (on some ships) if you want to do it yourself.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 2bc cruisers said:

Huh.  Before reading this thread, I didn’t realize I could only online book one night at a particular restaurant.  Thanks.  I just booked a different one as a backup, hope to straighten out onboard.  

I believe that you can book multiple reservations if you call. It is just only where it can’t be done.