AmaWaterways

lovetotraveltx

In our experiences, AMA has been a wonderful company to deal with.  Our first cruise down the Danube, we encountered low water. The final two days we were put in a five star hotel, and although the food fell short, AMA gave a generous credit which we used towards a second cruise.  Our second cruise was in 2021, Covid was declining in Europe.  There were only 20 passengers on the entire ship, but we had an amazing time.  Staff is wonderful, friendly, helpful, accommodating.  They know your drink orders by the end of the first day.  We have a third cruise booked with them in 2023.     

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2023 at 7:47 AM, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

We are onboard with you! Are you doing the pre-cruise and post cruise tours?

Martha and Emily

Hi, it's getting close now. No, we are traveling before and after but on our own. Our travel campanions just booked the pre cruise.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lovetotraveltx said:

Hi, it's getting close now. No, we are traveling before and after but on our own. Our travel campanions just booked the pre cruise.

Feel free to email me. Let me know your travel companions names so we can meet them during pre-cruise. Will look forward to meeting you all!

mjjvance@msn.com

P.S. it's our first Ama cruise, have been on Scenic and Emerald before.

Edited by 2012_Alaska_bound
updated info

We have just booked our first river cruise on AmaStella in April this year. We sail from Amsterdam to Budapest.

I’m hoping someone can answer a few random questions I have, please.

Are the included sightseeing excursions good or are they slow paced and over explained? We like to sightsee on our own, taking lots of photos, but don’t want to miss out out on the best bits in each port.

We are on board for 2 weeks, I know I will need to wash through some clothes. Is there a   little washing line in the bathroom? Or a self serve laundrette?

Is there a charge for any of the dining venues?

If I want a pre dinner drink do I pay for it or is that included in the package?

That will do for now, thanks for any answers! 

13 hours ago, Kristal Blade said:

We have just booked our first river cruise on AmaStella in April this year. We sail from Amsterdam to Budapest.

Are the included sightseeing excursions good or are they slow paced and over explained? We like to sightsee on our own, taking lots of photos, but don’t want to miss out out on the best bits in each port.

We are on board for 2 weeks, I know I will need to wash through some clothes. Is there a   little washing line in the bathroom? Or a self serve laundrette?

If I want a pre dinner drink do I pay for it or is that included in the package?

Same itinerary as we did for our first river cruise a hundred years ago.  April is a great month to be out on a river in Europe.  Shore excursions are usually done very professionally, and with the individual headsets, you can hear what the guide is saying while you look at anything you please and get lots of photos.  Check the website for info on laundry, charges for dining and cocktails on your specific ship.  There's usually the 'drink of the day' available at a substantial discount every evening; .  I'll share my laundry routine when travelling.   I air my clothing every night and don't put it away until the next morning.  I pack only clothing that can be washed.  Shampoo works well,  Roll the garment in a towel to squeeze out the water.  Shake it out vigorously and hang it on a hanger somewhere in the cabin with good air flow.  Things usually dry overnight.  I believe that most ships have a pressing service if you need it.

4 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Same itinerary as we did for our first river cruise a hundred years ago.  April is a great month to be out on a river in Europe.  Shore excursions are usually done very professionally, and with the individual headsets, you can hear what the guide is saying while you look at anything you please and get lots of photos.  Check the website for info on laundry, charges for dining and cocktails on your specific ship.  There's usually the 'drink of the day' available at a substantial discount every evening; .  I'll share my laundry routine when travelling.   I air my clothing every night and don't put it away until the next morning.  I pack only clothing that can be washed.  Shampoo works well,  Roll the garment in a towel to squeeze out the water.  Shake it out vigorously and hang it on a hanger somewhere in the cabin with good air flow.  Things usually dry overnight.  I believe that most ships have a pressing service if you need it.

Brilliant, thank you!

We have done lots of sea cruises so I’m used to using the shampoo as clothes washing liquid! I think it’s more casual on the river than some of the sea cruise lines we have used so I’m not going to be taking much in the way of posh gear. I have several shirts from a company called “Seasalt” which are non iron. It’s my husband’s shirts which may be more of an issue. But there are worse problems to have and we can always overpack,  which we usually do. I’m sure undies will dry overnight, as you say.

Shore excursions sound fine, I was just worried we might have to go at a slow pace which would frustrate us. We had those headsets on a recent cruise and we would stroll off to the limit of the signal for our photos then scurry back to join the group, like naughty children. 

Another question now. Can we attach things to the cabin door and walls with magnets? 
Thanks jsn55

9 hours ago, Kristal Blade said:

Brilliant, thank you!

We have done lots of sea cruises so I’m used to using the shampoo as clothes washing liquid! I think it’s more casual on the river than some of the sea cruise lines we have used so I’m not going to be taking much in the way of posh gear. I have several shirts from a company called “Seasalt” which are non iron. It’s my husband’s shirts which may be more of an issue. But there are worse problems to have and we can always overpack,  which we usually do. I’m sure undies will dry overnight, as you say.

Shore excursions sound fine, I was just worried we might have to go at a slow pace which would frustrate us. We had those headsets on a recent cruise and we would stroll off to the limit of the signal for our photos then scurry back to join the group, like naughty children. 

Another question now. Can we attach things to the cabin door and walls with magnets? 
Thanks jsn55

Ah, the magnet topic.  'Everyone' always says they attach things in a cruiseship cabin with magnets.  But far too often the walls don't react to the magnets.  I made 3 cute little Christmasy things for a recent cruise on Royal Princess.  The only place that I could use a magnet was the cabin door.  Very disappointing.  So I'll not be packing magnets any more.   .  

On 1/16/2023 at 9:43 AM, Kristal Blade said:

Hi, Have been on AMA 5 times but not since covid, so this info is from 3 years ago. For sightseeing, the majority of tours are for regular walkers and another tour for slow walkers. They've had but not all the time tours for fast walkers also...these tours you saw all the sights of the regular walker tour but walking to the sights was at a faster pace. We also like to sightsee on our own and some of the tours give you time to explore on your own and met the group at a certain time and location.

There's laundry service but you pay for it.

The boats we were on had no charge for dining venues and every evening an hour before dinner, there's a ship and sail where the drinks...they have a drink menu for what this includes but it includes a nice variety... are complimentary and I've never seen a limit to how many you can have.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Ah, the magnet topic.  'Everyone' always says they attach things in a cruiseship cabin with magnets.  But far too often the walls don't react to the magnets.  I made 3 cute little Christmasy things for a recent cruise on Royal Princess.  The only place that I could use a magnet was the cabin door.  Very disappointing.  So I'll not be packing magnets any more.   .  

Thank you,

we had a similar issue on a recent cruise on a Regent ship. The walls had such a thick covering the magnets were no good inside. But I will stick some on my door, useful for leaving messages, although on a smaller river ship I think we might be able to find one another more easily!

1 hour ago, LTC said:

Hi, Have been on AMA 5 times but not since covid, so this info is from 3 years ago. For sightseeing, the majority of tours are for regular walkers and another tour for slow walkers. They've had but not all the time tours for fast walkers also...these tours you saw all the sights of the regular walker tour but walking to the sights was at a faster pace. We also like to sightsee on our own and some of the tours give you time to explore on your own and met the group at a certain time and location.

There's laundry service but you pay for it.

The boats we were on had no charge for dining venues and every evening an hour before dinner, there's a ship and sail where the drinks...they have a drink menu for what this includes but it includes a nice variety... are complimentary and I've never seen a limit to how many you can have.

Enjoy your cruise!

great, LTC, good to know there are different paced tours. 
I think I can cope without paying for laundry, we have lots of easy dry clothes.

Nice to know there is a pre dinner drink offering. I don’t think we will want more than one  each! 

Thanks for your speedy replies, if I think of any more questions I will post them.