They are hiring.

KyleClark

NCL has these all the time, looking for crew for the POA.  You'll notice that it says "some positions will not have active deployment opportunities", meaning you would be "hired" at the job fair, but not actually sent to the ship, as you would be hired to replace someone who is currently on the ship.  It also requires a good bit of time to get the TWIC and MMC documentation from TSA and USCG (typically 3 months or more).

5 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Have no idea off the top of my head.  But, all the crew must pay Hawaiian state income tax, whether or not they reside there.

OK, thanks, but that would not be a big deal as they would be able to take a tax credit for that in their tax returns for whatever state that they reside in. I guess it might make a difference for whatever small percentage of the staff are not US residents.

OOPS, I just remembered that some states do not have an income tax, so this would take money from residents of those states.

Edited by ontheweb

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

I guess it might make a difference for whatever small percentage of the staff are not US residents.

Yes, the NRAC (non-resident alien crew) must pay state and federal income tax as well as Social Security and Medicare.

Intriguing... but I just can't bring myself to do it. I haven't worked a minimum wage job in over 20 years. Yeah, room & board and food is included.... but I'm not going to sell my house just to try living on a cruise ship for 6 months. Maybe one day when the house is paid off...

2 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

Intriguing... but I just can't bring myself to do it. I haven't worked a minimum wage job in over 20 years. Yeah, room & board and food is included.... but I'm not going to sell my house just to try living on a cruise ship for 6 months. Maybe one day when the house is paid off...

Yes, unless you're living in your parent's basement, you're going to have mortgage or rent to keep your "stuff" while on the ship, so the whole "room and board" thing is a bit facetious.

2 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

There's an old humorous question, "what does a dog do on his day off?"   I think it extends to this scenario.  If you live on a cruise ship, where do you go for vacation?🤣  (I know you were just kidding)

27 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

"Have a reasonably clear background".  What??? That's about as vague as you can get.

I guess NCL will ultimately decide if someone's background is "reasonably clear", but still pretty wishy-washy (not to be confused with washy-washy)...

No, it's the FBI who decides whether the candidate has a clear background.  For both the USCG MMC and the TSA TWIC documentation, you have to have an FBI background check.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

"Have a reasonably clear background".  What??? That's about as vague as you can get.

I guess NCL will ultimately decide if someone's background is "reasonably clear", but still pretty wishy-washy (not to be confused with washy-washy)...

One felony- maybe it was a mistake and we're desperate for crew.  Pass

2 Felonies and that's a red flag

6 minutes ago, Yesimapirate said:

One felony- maybe it was a mistake and we're desperate for crew.  Pass

2 Felonies and that's a red flag

Again, it is not NCL's decision, it is the FBI.  Unlike the foreign flag crews on cruise ships, the USCG requires that all crew receive a MMC, which is why NCL is chronically short of US crew for the POA.  Any felony conviction results in an FBI review of a period of the applicant's life between 3 to 20 years (depending on the crime), that needs to show clean behavior before the applicant can be considered for approval of an MMC.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/30/2022 at 3:23 PM, Cruise5life said:

Is this an actual look into what crew actually make ?   

The POA has to pay minimum wage; if they have to abide by Hawaiian law, that's at least $12 an hour, with overtime. That's because it's a US flagged cruise ship. All the other NCL ships fly a foreign flag.

For insight into the wages paid to crew on other ships, search YouTube for videos from many former crew members, or you can use the website glassdoor.com to look up the wages for NCL, RCL and Carnival jobs.