Oosterdam in Antarctica

cruisn71

On 1/2/2023 at 2:01 AM, ShipWalker said:

As the interior of the ship is temperature controlled I am typically in a T shirt and jeans. Some folks dressed as though they are on an Antarctic expedition. Typical dress inside appears like any other cruise.

Outside temps have been between 34-42 degrees. Sun/overcast/even a few token snowflakes. During the 4 day Antarctic Experience we were putzing around at a slow speed so not too much wind chill.

For the short times I was out on the bow or the deck 7 bow walkway I have a wool cap, flannel shirt, windbreaker and gloves on.

Of course conditions are subject to change for your cruise.

Agree with all of those suggestions, from our own Zaandam cruise in 2020 which was one of the last. It was more wind than cold - and when the sun was out (it was the time of the "white nights" and full sunshine) it was  almost warm.  Thrilled also to see the Oosterdam can still go deeper into the Antarctic Peninsula, just like the former trips. One of our most favorite cruises. 

I found a longer 3/4 Puffer jacket (Uniqlo) was my main stay, because it worked both as a wind breaker and for warmth, and was easy to quickly put on when announcements would come over for another special wildlife sighting.  

Scarf, hands, head (hood on jacket was enough for me) and especially for me -ear coverings - were as much extra gear that I needed. (Compared to what I thought I needed and packed -including waterproof snow boots - nope, did not need those).

One layer of ski-type underwear, a heavy sweater, warm pants, -  fleece or natural wool, silk cashmere. I found just silk glove liners were enough for me too, since that makes using binoculars and cameras easier. I did not need heavy gloves/mittens. If it was that cold, there were other indoor viewing areas to use. 

Passing  on the tip I got from another poster here - bring rare earth magnet hanging hooks to clamp on to the metal cabin ceiling, so your heavier jackets are accessible, can dry out and don't take up a lot of closet space.  I found them online. I now never pack for a cruise without them. 

• Like 1

We found the comments on the previous BsAs > San Antonio cruise quite helpful, so I plan to make additional comments as we do the reverse.  After spending three days in Santiago, we travelled via minivan from the DoubleTree to San Antonio.  Scheduled a 0845 departure and got on the road about 0920 for the 1.3 hour drive .  We encountered no traffic jams and arrived at the port only to find the O-dam hadn’t made it in yet.  The port closed due to bad weather conditions and the ship did not dock until around noon.  At the port gate they wanted to briefly (and I mean very briefly) look at our COVID self-test. Completing that meant we got a red sticker permitting us to enter the terminal (large metal shed with a few hundred chairs).  Restrooms were clean and there was limited food and drink for purchase. Apparently the HAL busses were held in Santiago or at a gas station on the way.  The terminal was overwhelmed when the busses began to arrive.  Dubai World Ports (operator) and HAL did a miserable job of keeping us informed.  After the ship arrived, it took about 30 minutes for the first luggage and pax to appear. The PA system was virtually non-existent, so that didn’t help.  A chaotic boarding of suites began about 4:15 followed by five, then four star mariners.  The first general group (#25) began the boarding process about 4:30.  One first got in line to check in where they verified your name was on the passenger manifest. Then another line was formed to take a boarding photo and picture of your passport.  You were then given a receipt for your passport and got in a line for the security screening.  (Bags on a belt for X-ray scanning and walking through the metal detector.)  It didn’t matter if you set off the detector or not, you then proceeded to the bus which took us to the ship.  As you an tell, there was no checking for VeriFLY or whether you had completed the HAL Navigator app.  We were asked to view the safety video on the TV, but the traditional muster drill was held outside under your respective lifeboat at 9:40PM.  The captain spoke briefly  about safety and the crew demonstrated how to put on a life jacket.  Since the ship was late to port, they were not ready to depart before the port closed at midnight meaning our departure was delayed until 6AM on Thursday.  This means we will miss Puerto Montt which is a real shame since it is very interesting.  Instead we may arrive early in Puerto Chambucco where the big thing is the park bench overlooking the area where the ship anchors. 

On 1/12/2023 at 10:31 AM, BSinPNS said:

We found the comments on the previous BsAs > San Antonio cruise quite helpful, so I plan to make additional comments as we do the reverse.  After spending three days in Santiago, we travelled via minivan from the DoubleTree to San Antonio.  Scheduled a 0845 departure and got on the road about 0920 for the 1.3 hour drive .  We encountered no traffic jams and arrived at the port only to find the O-dam hadn’t made it in yet.  The port closed due to bad weather conditions and the ship did not dock until around noon.  At the port gate they wanted to briefly (and I mean very briefly) look at our COVID self-test. Completing that meant we got a red sticker permitting us to enter the terminal (large metal shed with a few hundred chairs).  Restrooms were clean and there was limited food and drink for purchase. Apparently the HAL busses were held in Santiago or at a gas station on the way.  The terminal was overwhelmed when the busses began to arrive.  Dubai World Ports (operator) and HAL did a miserable job of keeping us informed.  After the ship arrived, it took about 30 minutes for the first luggage and pax to appear. The PA system was virtually non-existent, so that didn’t help.  A chaotic boarding of suites began about 4:15 followed by five, then four star mariners.  The first general group (#25) began the boarding process about 4:30.  One first got in line to check in where they verified your name was on the passenger manifest. Then another line was formed to take a boarding photo and picture of your passport.  You were then given a receipt for your passport and got in a line for the security screening.  (Bags on a belt for X-ray scanning and walking through the metal detector.)  It didn’t matter if you set off the detector or not, you then proceeded to the bus which took us to the ship.  As you an tell, there was no checking for VeriFLY or whether you had completed the HAL Navigator app.  We were asked to view the safety video on the TV, but the traditional muster drill was held outside under your respective lifeboat at 9:40PM.  The captain spoke briefly  about safety and the crew demonstrated how to put on a life jacket.  Since the ship was late to port, they were not ready to depart before the port closed at midnight meaning our departure was delayed until 6AM on Thursday.  This means we will miss Puerto Montt which is a real shame since it is very interesting.  Instead we may arrive early in Puerto Chambucco where the big thing is the park bench overlooking the area where the ship anchors. 

Hi, haven't seen any posts from you since this one.  Did you forget or are they somewhere else?

We’re booked on this trip in 2024. Are there any excursions to actual land in Antarctica? Or are we just cruising the entire time once we cross the Drake passage?  I know other cruise lines have rib boats and special sanitization processes for your clothing but I don’t imagine that the Oosterdam has that capability. Thanks for any info on excursions!

4 hours ago, lpmpsail said:

We’re booked on this trip in 2024. Are there any excursions to actual land in Antarctica? Or are we just cruising the entire time once we cross the Drake passage?  I know other cruise lines have rib boats and special sanitization processes for your clothing but I don’t imagine that the Oosterdam has that capability. Thanks for any info on excursions!

Yours will be just a sail by with no landings. Those are special, smaller expedition ships that land and use Zodiacs- starting price around $18,000. The Zodiac  landings and protocols actually are pretty cumbersome for the thrill of actually putting your boots on the ground, so not all is lost by not landing. Plus they requiring either rental or purchase of highly specific clothing items and boots. 

There will be plenty to see up close even from the ship, as you wind around narrow channels, including picking up members from one of the US Antarctic stations who come aboard to share their experiences.  

You will see plenty of wildlife and we had a very intense whale experience in one of the krill-filled bays, when the ship stayed still for a long period of time giving us very close up views of hundreds of whales bubbling around their prey. Easy to lose count of the various penguins we saw all over - land, sea and those fabulous tabletop icebergs.

For the cost of this non-landing HAL Antarctic cruise, I think you will be very satisfied with what you can and will see ----IF, it is anything like our prior Zaandam 2020 Antarctic cruise.

• Like 1

We have done the SA-Ant cruise 4 times and each trip was different and amazing. The walking area on Oosterdam deck 10 is great for viewing both sides of the ship when traveling Ant. waters. Many photographers found this a great area to take pictures. Not the large crowds like on bow. Enjoy your trip, you will find this to be a wonderful experience and like us, you may come back for more!

Edited by cruisin'teach
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, OlsSalt said:

..........Those are special, smaller expedition ships that land and use Zodiacs- starting price around $18,000.

Only if you book the excecutive suite. Starting prices will be around 10.000pp.

The Zodiac  landings and protocols actually are pretty cumbersome for the thrill of actually putting your boots on the ground, so not all is lost by not landing.

Not cumbersome at all.

Plus they requiring either rental or purchase of highly specific clothing items and boots. 

Not true. Boots are provided by the ship on loan. Jackets are included for free and you get to keep it. For the rest take allong waterproof pants and use layers of normal clothing underneath.

There will be plenty to see up close even from the ship, as you wind around narrow channels, including picking up members from one of the US Antarctic stations who come aboard to share their experiences.  

You will see plenty of wildlife and we had a very intense whale experience in one of the krill-filled bays, when the ship stayed still for a long period of time giving us very close up views of hundreds of whales bubbling around their prey. Easy to lose count of the various penguins we saw all over - land, sea and those fabulous tabletop icebergs.

For the cost of this non-landing HAL Antarctic cruise, I think you will be very satisfied with what you can and will see ----IF, it is anything like our prior Zaandam 2020 Antarctic cruise.

I did both type of cruise. The first was a HAL antarctica followed a year later by an expedition cruise. The first was amazing but the second was better. You get very much closer to everything, ice, wildlife etc. 

Edited by jakkojakko
  • Like 2

If you can afford it I would do the Antarctic cruise with landings.  We took the cheapest room on the ship and it was fine.  You are never in your room except if you are seasick through the Drake (me 🙂 ) or to sleep.   The crew helps you in and out of the zodiacs and there were many people way older than us on the ship (late 70's to 80's). Many of the expedition ships provide you with the boots you need to go ashore as well as the jacket you are required to wear.  We still have our jackets.   All you need in addition to this is some basic winter clothes,  waterproof pants, long underwear and a hat and gloves.   It is not the cold that is the issue it is the wind.   I  suggest that if you can, book one that includes the flights w/in Chile or Argentina,  to get to the starting point of the cruise. We did Silversea and it was fabulous.  It was the trip of a lifetime. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/3/2023 at 2:37 PM, cruisn71 said:

They have the following games:

Catan, Risk, Balderdash, clue, monopoly,trivial pursuit, viva Java, Farkle, taboo, yahtzee and maybe Scrabble.

Oosterdam used to have two very nice wooden chess sets up in the Crows Nest area.  I'm not sure if they are still there?

On 1/30/2023 at 10:05 AM, Tampa Girl said:

For those of you presently on the Oosterdam, is  there a library or even the rudiments of one?

For our Antarctica cruise in Dec/Jan there were a few Antarctic books to look at in the Crows Nest presentation room.(not to be removed from the room)

There are travel books in the Crows Nest next to the Excursions Desk (not to be removed)

A bunch of oversized books.

And the two book exchange shelves also in the Crows Nest.

IMG_4005.thumb.JPG.c584cc4cd022eb29c80e7f07beaad040.JPG

14 hours ago, kevingastreich said:

Oosterdam used to have two very nice wooden chess sets up in the Crows Nest area.  I'm not sure if they are still there?

Why, yes. Yes they are. As a matter of fact I believe I saw at least five or six sets total on board in January 2023. On both port and starboard sides.

IMG_4080.JPG

• Like 1