Can you board MCS without a passport?

jessjax11

Travelling closed loop on a three night cruise departing Miami. Never have trouble boarding with a birth certificate only but all docs on MCS cruisesite line say you MUST have a passport. 

Can you travel, closed loop, on MCS with a birth certificate only?

I am aware of the dangers and concerns.

3 hours ago, jessjax11 said:

all docs on MCS cruisesite line say you MUST have a passport

I'd personally trust this over what anyone here says, assuming this info is specific to your sailing. Regardless of the general truth about closed loop cruises there are absolutely some that do require a passport. For an example, look no farther than the recent slight media dust-up over Princess CS telling folks on a closed loop they didn't need a passport when they totally did leading to several pax being denied boarding (not sure about link policy here, so I'll just say you can find if you Google "princess passports stranded"). At the very least, I'd do some research into the ports to see if any do require a passport. As I recall, the folks that got denied boarding on Princess were meant to visit a specific country that lead to the requirement, despite the cruise being closed loop.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, franncos said:

I do not understand why people travel without a passport. Without it you are looking for trouble.

I don't understand why you even replied to my thread as I didn't ask for any ones opinions and know the risks of travelling without a passport as I stated above.

I don't have the time to get a passport for three people before travelling.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jessjax11 said:

I don't understand why you even replied to my thread as I didn't ask for any ones opinions and know the risks of travelling without a passport as I stated above.

I don't have the time to get a passport for three people before travelling.

Agree 100% with what you said. However, as a note, you can get a same day passport by visiting an office. Not suggesting you do this, just bringing it up as you said you don't have time.

I think @bundtkate gave you the best answer. I personally travelled MSC post covid with someone who used a BC and there were no problems, but YMMV.

• Like 1

I have cruised 20+ times on Carribean itineray type cruises...All departing and returning to same FL ports (closed loop). This includes 2 cruises on MSC.   Have used BC and Govt ID for all. Most recently back from Thanksgiving Cruise on Odyssey of Seas.

Do not get scared by some posters telling you different. While there are some "piece of mind" benifits of a Passport  (missing ship at a port, getting ill, needing to leave cruise early due to a family emergency,etc)...the liklihood of this ocurring is very rare.   Enjoy your cruise!!

Edited by lcpagejr
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, lcpagejr said:

I have cruised 20+ times on Carribean itineray type cruises...All departing and returning to same FL ports (closed loop). This includes 2 cruises on MSC.   Have used BC and Govt ID for all. Most recently back from Thanksgiving Cruise on Odyssey of Seas.

Do not get scared by some posters telling you different. While there are some "piece of mind" benifits of a Passport  (missing ship at a port, getting ill, etc)...the liklihood of this ocurring is very rare.   Enjoy your cruise!!

Be very careful in following this advice.

Remember that while a birth certificate and government issued photo ID can be used by US citizens on certain close looped cruises from a US port, this is only meets the US requirement for reentering the US at the end of the cruise.

However, other countries can require a passport for cruise ship passengers and there are countries in the "Caribbean" that do (Caribbean is in quotes because many think that if a country borders the Caribbean Sea or Gulf of Mexico, they fall under  the BC and photo ID use).

One must always pay attention to the itinerary and the written information on document requirements as posted on the cruise lines websites and provided by the cruise line in booking information.

Cruise lines can also require passports for all passengers or just specific groups of passengers.

Just ask a small group of passengers left on the pier at embarkation on a recent Princess cruise (24 out of approximately  3,000 passenger) who ignored the requirement for a passport because of the itinerary and went with "Caribbean" closed loop cruise from US port. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Be very careful in following this advice.

Remember that while a birth certificate and government issued photo ID can be used by US citizens on certain close looped cruises from a US port, this is only meets the US requirement for reentering the US at the end of the cruise.

However, other countries can require a passport for cruise ship passengers and there are countries in the "Caribbean" that do (Caribbean is in quotes because many think that if a country borders the Caribbean Sea or Gulf of Mexico, they fall under  the BC and photo ID use).

One must always pay attention to the itinerary and the written information on document requirements as posted on the cruise lines websites and provided by the cruise line in booking information.

Cruise lines can also require passports for all passengers or just specific groups of passengers.

Just ask a small group of passengers left on the pier at embarkation on a recent Princess cruise (24 out of approximately  3,000 passenger) who ignored the requirement for a passport because of the itinerary and went with "Caribbean" closed loop cruise from US port. 

All good points.  But for Carribean... Ive cruised to all islands (ABC too) except those southern  most carribean  islands you cruise from a San Juan departure. This includes Mexican Riviera routes...Passports not required for US citizens.

Its obvious the Princess example you illustrated was a longer cruise and likely included Central/So America stops (Colombia. Panama Canal cruise). I have found cruiselines are very accurate and remind you what doc's you need for your cruise except for MSC. Which isn't surpring because you will ger 4 different responses from 4 different people. Being that most of their sailings are  European and Middle East they tend to state the  same document requirement for all their cruises...this is why you read more questions on BC vs PP on MSC board. 

4 hours ago, lcpagejr said:

All good points.  But for Carribean... Ive cruised to all islands (ABC too) except those southern  most carribean  islands you cruise from a San Juan departure. This includes Mexican Riviera routes...Passports not required for US citizens.

Being that most of their sailings are  European and Middle East they tend to state the  same document requirement for all their cruises...this is why you read more questions on BC vs PP on MSC board. 

Essiesmom already gave the correct information about the Princess cruise.

My post was an attempt to help people learn that the assumption that a birth certificate and photo ID is all that is needed for closed loop cruises can leave them standing on the pier at embarkation.

On 1/3/2023 at 5:05 PM, jessjax11 said:

Travelling closed loop on a three night cruise departing Miami. Never have trouble boarding with a birth certificate only but all docs on MCS cruisesite line say you MUST have a passport. 

They say you must, because the Bahamas say you must. However unless the Bahamas start doing actual passport controls it makes no difference. There’s nothing to stop you travelling with just ID and a birth certificate. You’ll only need them to return to Miami, all you’ll have to show in the Bahamas is your cruise card.

On 1/3/2023 at 5:05 PM, jessjax11 said:

The answer is posted on the US passport service FAQs page.

https://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/passports-for-closed-loop-cruise.html

Assuming your 3 day cruise is to the Bahamas, and if you go to the Bahamas government website, it will tell you all tourists must be in possession of a valid passport. So technically your answer is “no”.

However as everyone knows the only destination that applies passport controls to cruise passengers is Martinique. The only document you’ll have to show in the Bahamas is your cruise card. So in reality there’s nothing to stop you cruising with just a BC and ID.

Travel agent chiming in here (and one that's good friends with my MSC US rep):

Most of MSC's documents are still all based on the European clientele and they're still fairly new to marketing to US-based cruisers (and yes, some changes are coming to the US ships which most of you will like - mostly all soft-product type changes).

While YES, its true - you should NOT travel without a passport on these cruises - you will be fine with a birth certificate and Enhanced Drivers License (EDL).  

I personally don't and won't sell a cruise to anyone without a passport - too much can go wrong, and if you get stuck somewhere WITHOUT a passport (eg: Belize, Dominican Republic, etc) - you are held in a customs bonded facility (think jail without the bars) until another MSC ship comes along that can repatriate you.  And its at YOUR expense.  You can NOT fly to the US without a passport, no ands ifs or buts.  The consulate won't help you (now, lost or stolen passport is a different ballgame).

Going to the Bahamas...the info I collected was you just need an enhanced license and no birth certificate.   I am not chancing it and taking my bc with me.   Read somewhere that someone had just an enhanced license and the person had no clue what it was.   We got an enhanced because by May 2023, you were suppose to have one.  Now the requirements pushed that back for a few years.   Definitely check to see what islands require a passport before cruising.   I have always had one, but now it is expired.  Been to the Bahamas with just a bc and am comfortable with that, but would not try it with other islands. jmo

3 hours ago, Cannotwaitocruise said:

Going to the Bahamas...the info I collected was you just need an enhanced license and no birth certificate.  

Do you live in one of the following states?

• Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • New York
  • Vermont
  • Washington

Those are the ONLY states that issued "Enhanced" driver's license.... These are the ONLY ones that can be used for land and sea border entries back into the USA by themselves.

Other states are issuing RealID compliant licenses...  These DO require a birth certificate for a cruise.

Aloha,

John

• Thanks 1