Binoculars

oakgrove girl

18 minutes ago, oakgrove girl said:

Hello everyone just a quick question. Do all of the cabins on Apex have binoculars in the room. Can someone please tell me what kind of binoculars they do have on Celebrity cruise ships in the cabins thank you so much

I was in the EV, they had them but they were useless

In our experience even in the PH the binoculars are rubbish….We usually bring our own. If you have significant OBC you could buy a pair on board. May be worth starting a new thread to see if decent binoculars are for sale on your ship…

In the 60+ cruises we have done on Celebrity we never had decent binoculars.  They were simply rubbish.

My husband is a birder so we always have at least one pair with us, and on itineraries when we know we will be using binoculars we have two pairs with us.

3 hours ago, ymncruise said:

Thinking about buying some. Which ones do you recommend? 

Bird magazines have reviews.  One bird magazine which my husband subscribed to for years had a binocular review in every issue.  So head to the local library to check their magazine section.  But folks really need to hold binoculars in their own hands to get a sense of how they "fit" your grip and hands.  My husband's favorite pair (he as a number) are too heavy for me.  I can't even stand to have them hanging around my neck.  So go to a local sporting goods supply store and test drive a few pairs.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, r2h2 said:

Any Binocular that has 10x50 and above. Bushnell is fine at 10x50.

Bushnell is OK, Nikon is better and I hear Leica is really good.  If you buy your own TRY THEM OUT FIRST.  Also make sure they are waterproof.

If you're going on a cruise in which scenery, including wildlife, is a big part (e.g. Alaska, Panama Canal, etc.) then a good pair of binoculars is almost a must.

If you are at all interested in the night sky, the low ambient light pollution out at sea plus a pair of binoculars makes a huge difference to the amount and clarity of what is visible in the heavens.

5 hours ago, thebutlerdidit said:

Where on board could you find binoculars for sale? 

They sometimes sell them in the photo area.  IF YOU REALLY WANT BINOCULARS BRING YOUR OWN.

The ship will have maybe one model for sale at an overpriced rate.

You should really try out binoculars before you buy.  Expect to pay a MINIMUM of $100, $150+ is better.  Best bet for binoculars these days is a large sports store like Cabela's.  If there is a really large photography store near you that might also work.

A good website to look at, just to see what exists, All Binoculars Official Site (telescope.com)

I have bought telescopes through them.

23 hours ago, PompeySailor said:

Bushnell Prime 

These are currently what we have in our Suite

They retail for $139.99

276DBD45-9742-4E6D-9AB9-B561AFFB44D7.jpeg

5BCD5830-008D-46E7-83C1-AD41BE0293D7.jpeg

We had these in our suite last autumn and they were excellent. Far better than the smaller/compact set I would have brought along. That was aboard the Silhouette, however.

cjr