Lift & Shift -- does hotel also shift?

luckybecky

Hello cruisers! 

I just realized I may have made a very expensive mistake in not staying on top of some travel details. Hopefully someone here has experience with this. 

Some time ago, we booked a Japan cruise for Oct 2022. In Feb 2022, we added a Tokyo hotel through Celebrity for 2 nights pre-cruise. A couple of months later, we received word from Celebrity that the cruise was being cancelled. We elected to Lift and Shift to Oct 2023. And since, the new cruise date was almost a year and a half away, I just sort of put it on the back burner and haven't thought much at all about it until now. As I was recently pulling up our cruise info, I rediscovered the hotel reservation.

Frankly, I had totally forgotten about the hotel. It was billed directly to our credit card and paid in full at the time I reserved it with Celebrity in Feb 2022. And it wasn't cheap. Two rooms, for two nights came to almost $1300. 

Here is the cancellation policy: 

If you fail to arrive or cancel the booking, no refund will be given. For the room type and rate that you've selected, you are not allowed to change or cancel your reservation. If you cancel your room, you will still be charged for the full reservation amount.

Sounds pretty cut and dried and not good for us. We had not yet purchased trip insurance at this early date. 

However, since the hotel was booked through Celebrity, I'm hoping that it would be linked to our cruise reservation. Since WE did not cancel, but the cruise was cancelled by Celebrity, do we have any hope of recovering this cost? Would the hotel reservation for 2 nights pre-cruise also "lift and shift" to the new cruise? Or shouldn't the hotel automatically be cancelled when the cruise was cancelled? 

I've checked my credit card records. The hotel was billed in full at the time it was booked. It was never refunded when the cruise was cancelled. According to the cancellation policy, we did not have the option to cancel it ourselves. But from my point of view Celebrity should either have refunded it or shift it to our new reservation when the original cruise was cancelled. 

I'm planning to call Celebrity Monday morning, but meanwhile, I'm wondering if any of you have experience with this sort of situation. Any thoughts or suggestions? If all else fails, would it be too late for us to do a chargeback on our credit card, and could that even work?

Thanks for any help.

11 minutes ago, luckybecky said:

Hello cruisers! 

I just realized I may have made a very expensive mistake in not staying on top of some travel details. Hopefully someone here has experience with this. 

Some time ago, we booked a Japan cruise for Oct 2022. In Feb 2022, we added a Tokyo hotel through Celebrity for 2 nights pre-cruise. A couple of months later, we received word from Celebrity that the cruise was being cancelled. We elected to Lift and Shift to Oct 2023. And since, the new cruise date was almost a year and a half away, I just sort of put it on the back burner and haven't thought much at all about it until now. As I was recently pulling up our cruise info, I rediscovered the hotel reservation.

Frankly, I had totally forgotten about the hotel. It was billed directly to our credit card and paid in full at the time I reserved it with Celebrity in Feb 2022. And it wasn't cheap. Two rooms, for two nights came to almost $1300. 

If you fail to arrive or cancel the booking, no refund will be given. For the room type and rate that you've selected, you are not allowed to change or cancel your reservation. If you cancel your room, you will still be charged for the full reservation amount.

Sounds pretty cut and dried and not good for us. We had not yet purchased trip insurance at this early date. 

However, since the hotel was booked through Celebrity, I'm hoping that it would be linked to our cruise reservation. Since WE did not cancel, but the cruise was cancelled by Celebrity, do we have any hope of recovering this cost? Would the hotel reservation for 2 nights pre-cruise also "lift and shift" to the new cruise? Or shouldn't the hotel automatically be cancelled when the cruise was cancelled? 

I've checked my credit card records. The hotel was billed in full at the time it was booked. It was never refunded when the cruise was cancelled. According to the cancellation policy, we did not have the option to cancel it ourselves. But from my point of view Celebrity should either have refunded it or shift it to our new reservation when the original cruise was cancelled. 

I'm planning to call Celebrity Monday morning, but meanwhile, I'm wondering if any of you have experience with this sort of situation. Any thoughts or suggestions? If all else fails, would it be too late for us to do a chargeback on our credit card, and could that even work?

Thanks for any help.

Well not a hotel, we did have a cruise that was cancelled which we included air by Celebrity, seats had been selected etc.  Once Celebrity cancelled our cruise, we were refunded everything, air included, it took 3 or 4 separate payments credited back to our card, but we never had to ask them to do it, it was all done automatically.  Good luck, I hope they handle the same for hotels booked by them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, luckybecky said:

Hello cruisers! 

Thanks for any help.

I have no experience with this either.  Certainly it is easy to overlook..  After you call Celebrity, let us know what the outcome is.  Good luck.

• Like 1

Hi all, I'm just bumping this thread to ask if anyone has any further advice.

I contacted Celebrity customer service. A very nice gentleman looked into it and ultimately said I needed to call the hotels department, and he gave me a phone number. I thought I was calling a different department within Celebrity Cruises, but it turns out it was the number for Priceline. That representative also was unable to offer any assistance. She suggested that I call the hotel in Tokyo directly. Frankly I do not think that will help; it is not their problem since they aren't the ones who cancelled our cruise, the cancellation policy says I can't cancel, and I seriously doubt they would do it retroactively. 

I am stuck in a situation where everyone is trying to pass the buck. I know I should have recognized the problem and acted in a more timely manner, but honestly I feel that Celebrity is responsible. The hotel was booked directly with Celebrity and therefore I feel that they should be able to service the reservation. I assumed that it was linked to our cruise reservation and would either be cancelled when the cruise was cancelled, or "lifted and shifted" when the cruise lifted and shifted. 

Anyway, I just sent an email to Celebrity One Touch. Aside from that, does anyone have ideas as to how I might proceed? If it was just a La Quinta in Galveston or something I would just let it go. But this was a hotel in downtown Tokyo, 2 rooms for 2 nights and cost almost $1300. That's a lot of money to just let go.

Thanks for any suggestions.

16 hours ago, luckybecky said:

Hi all, I'm just bumping this thread to ask if anyone has any further advice.

I contacted Celebrity customer service. A very nice gentleman looked into it and ultimately said I needed to call the hotels department, and he gave me a phone number. I thought I was calling a different department within Celebrity Cruises, but it turns out it was the number for Priceline. That representative also was unable to offer any assistance. She suggested that I call the hotel in Tokyo directly. Frankly I do not think that will help; it is not their problem since they aren't the ones who cancelled our cruise, the cancellation policy says I can't cancel, and I seriously doubt they would do it retroactively. 

I am stuck in a situation where everyone is trying to pass the buck. I know I should have recognized the problem and acted in a more timely manner, but honestly I feel that Celebrity is responsible. The hotel was booked directly with Celebrity and therefore I feel that they should be able to service the reservation. I assumed that it was linked to our cruise reservation and would either be cancelled when the cruise was cancelled, or "lifted and shifted" when the cruise lifted and shifted. 

Anyway, I just sent an email to Celebrity One Touch. Aside from that, does anyone have ideas as to how I might proceed? If it was just a La Quinta in Galveston or something I would just let it go. But this was a hotel in downtown Tokyo, 2 rooms for 2 nights and cost almost $1300. That's a lot of money to just let go.

Thanks for any suggestions.

When they initially rolled out the program Celebrity was definitely covering fees if they changed the cruise. None of the marketing resources for this program are published anymore and it has gone radio silent since. However I can't find anything that says they stopped covering fees if Celebrity changed or cancelled the cruise. You can try to call 1-800-436-5431 or 1-855-814-629. Do not spend time trying to talk to anyone that is from Priceline since they have nothing to do with this. I would be prepared for them to say this was in conjunction with Cruise With Confidence which is now over. 

hotel faq.png

Luckybecky,  I have never had this situation.  I wish you luck and I am curious.

The credit card charge from the hotel only is from 2/22.  It would appear that you had to pay a non cancellable rate in full six months in advance.  Did you pay the $1300 directly to Celebrity?  
If it was a non cancellable advance payment rate, why din’t you just book it directly with the hotel instead of Celebrity.

Does anyone else know if this is a standard Celebrity practice for hotels.  I never book hotels with cruise lines, because the rate is always per person and very expensive.  I always do better booking direct.  I also avoid Advance purchases.

Luckybecky, something just does not sound right to me.  You may want to pull up you credit card bill from 2/22 and confirm you did an advance purchase with Celebrity and not the hotel or some other third party.  Otherwise your position sounds reasonable to me.  Celebrity owes you $1300 IMO.

12 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

When they initially rolled out the program Celebrity was definitely covering fees if they changed the cruise. None of the marketing resources for this program are published anymore and it has gone radio silent since. However I can't find anything that says they stopped covering fees if Celebrity changed or cancelled the cruise. You can try to call 1-800-436-5431 or 1-855-814-629. Do not spend time trying to talk to anyone that is from Priceline since they have nothing to do with this. I would be prepared for them to say this was in conjunction with Cruise With Confidence which is now over. 

hotel faq.png

Thank you Jeremiah. This is extremely helpful. I have looked all over Celebrity's website trying to find info about the hotel program and you are correct: radio silence. I cannot find anything at all, including the FAQ you posted above. If I click "manage my trip" on the Celebrity website, the drop down menu lists "Hotels by Celebrity" but it just circles back to my cruise web page. There no longer seems to be a way to book a hotel. I guess the program is defunct? 

So I really appreciate the screenshot and phone numbers. I'm going to try to call the numbers listed to see if I can make any progress.

9 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Luckybecky, something just does not sound right to me.  You may want to pull up you credit card bill from 2/22 and confirm you did an advance purchase with Celebrity and not the hotel or some other third party.  Otherwise your position sounds reasonable to me.  Celebrity owes you $1300 IMO.

I agree with you jagoffee! Something isn't right!! I booked this hotel through the Celebrity website and my email confirmation came from Celebrity, with the big blue Celebrity X logo right at the top. However, the charge on my credit card appears as "PRICELN*COURTYARD BY M"

So I can only assume that Celebrity partnered with Priceline to manage this program. Recall that a Celebrity rep gave me the number to Priceline (I didn't realize that the time, thought he was giving me a number within Celebrity to call) when I called to inquire about this situation. 

This presents a new problem. I'm not sure if disputing the charge with the credit card company would work. Priceline would just say, look, she booked a nonrefundable rate, so it will not be refunded. 

I think that to get this corrected, there is no other way around it than to go through Celebrity, the same way I booked the hotel in the first place. I'm going to try again in the morning to see if I can make any progress.

Thanks again to everyone who has offered suggestions. I greatly appreciate it. I'll let you know if I have any success.

• Like 1

Celebrity has a hotel team for people that book packages or accommodations through them. I am frankly surprised that a phone agent gave you Pricelines phone number (well, not that surprised).  Celebrity moved half your reservation (the ship) without moving the other half of the reservation (the hotel).  Call back and ask for Resolutions Department

Edited by LMaxwell
  • Like 3

Well this has turned into quite a saga. 

Jeremiah, I called the number you provided for Hotels By Celebrity -- thank you for that! Initially the rep sounded like she would be able to help, but kept putting me on hold to speak to her supervisor, coming back to ask questions (such as, did I have insurance from a private company), etc. Incredibly, she said she could not confirm that my original cruise had been canceled. Are you kidding me?!?

She actually insisted that I forward to her the email I had received notifying me that the cruise had been canceled because she said she could not document the cancellation otherwise. 

WTH Celebrity? You don't know that you canceled ALL of the Japan cruises for fall 2022 through spring 2023? 

OK, whatever. I sent her the email documenting that we had been canceled and confirmed that we had lifted and shifted. 

I was on the phone with this woman for one hour and fifty minutes. She actually was very pleasant but ultimately did nothing whatsoever to help. After almost two hours, the final word from her was that I need to call and/or email someone else -- Celebrity Engagement Center. 

Meanwhile, I was reviewing my old emails regarding the cancellation. This wording stood out to me: 

"Additionally, if you have pre-booked any shore excursions, beverage, internet, specialty dining or other onboard packages, through Celebrity Cruise Planner, you will automatically be refunded in full to the original method of payment. Guests with air travel and hotel booked through Flights by Celebrity will be refunded automatically. You will not need to call in to initiate the process."

So that seems very clear. But this automatic refund did not happen and it is turning into a huge headache to get this resolved. I feel like my position is very clear cut -- given the quote above from the email they sent me, and the FAQ screen shot that Jeremiah provided stating that Celebrity would cover hotel cancellation fees.

The problem seems to be getting them to live up to that promise. 

Not quite the same but we had the Galapagos booked and did a lift and shift (then finally they cancelled it)

I'd paid for pre-booked seating on the flights, which was nearly £300 and this was refunded. I did have to chase several times but finally got there.

Good luck but you are due a refund.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, luckybecky said:

Jeremiah, I called the number you provided for Hotels By Celebrity -- thank you for that! Initially the rep sounded like she would be able to help, but kept putting me on hold to speak to her supervisor, coming back to ask questions (such as, did I have insurance from a private company), etc. Incredibly, she said she could not confirm that my original cruise had been canceled. Are you kidding me?!?

She actually insisted that I forward to her the email I had received notifying me that the cruise had been canceled because she said she could not document the cancellation otherwise. 

WTH Celebrity? You don't know that you canceled ALL of the Japan cruises for fall 2022 through spring 2023? 

OK, whatever. I sent her the email documenting that we had been canceled and confirmed that we had lifted and shifted. 

I was on the phone with this woman for one hour and fifty minutes. She actually was very pleasant but ultimately did nothing whatsoever to help. After almost two hours, the final word from her was that I need to call and/or email someone else -- Celebrity Engagement Center. 

Meanwhile, I was reviewing my old emails regarding the cancellation. This wording stood out to me: 

"Additionally, if you have pre-booked any shore excursions, beverage, internet, specialty dining or other onboard packages, through Celebrity Cruise Planner, you will automatically be refunded in full to the original method of payment. Guests with air travel and hotel booked through Flights by Celebrity will be refunded automatically. You will not need to call in to initiate the process."

So that seems very clear. But this automatic refund did not happen and it is turning into a huge headache to get this resolved. I feel like my position is very clear cut -- given the quote above from the email they sent me, and the FAQ screen shot that Jeremiah provided stating that Celebrity would cover hotel cancellation fees.

Your negotiating position has been strengthened considerably. Press on. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, luckybecky said:

Do you have an invoice or payment email from Celebrity related to the hotel payment.  Or did you get something directly from Priceline?  That might be more evidence for you.   Anyway that you might be mistaken and you actually purchased your non cancellable hotel directly with Priceline.  If you have a Priceline account, you could check it to confirm.

Good luck as you build your case.

5 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Your negotiating position has been strengthened considerably. Press on. 

I agree.  The only thing that seems off here is that the hotel payment (on the Charge Card) was made directly to Priceline and not Celebrity.  

Is this the normal way it works for Celebrity Hotels?

I know it does not work that way for Celebrity Air. (Charged directly to Celebrity and not the airline)

It is almost like the hotel was purchased directly with Priceline. Which is obviously messed up as the purchase should be directly tied to the Celebrity cruise.

21 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Do you have an invoice or payment email from Celebrity related to the hotel payment.  Or did you get something directly from Priceline?  That might be more evidence for you.   Anyway that you might be mistaken and you actually purchased your non cancellable hotel directly with Priceline.  If you have a Priceline account, you could check it to confirm.

Good luck as you build your case.

I agree.  The only thing that seems off here is that the hotel payment (on the Charge Card) was made directly to Priceline and not Celebrity.  

Is this the normal way it works for Celebrity Hotels?

I know it does not work that way for Celebrity Air. (Charged directly to Celebrity and not the airline)

It is almost like the hotel was purchased directly with Priceline. Which is obviously messed up as the purchase should be directly tied to the Celebrity cruise.

The website hotels.celebritycruises.com is a Priceline website branded as Celebrity.  There is nothing out of the ordinary about that. 

3 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

The website hotels.celebritycruises.com is a Priceline website branded as Celebrity.  There is nothing out of the ordinary about that. 

Thanks for the information.  I appreciate the explanation.

Good reason to never book anything on that site.  Does not seem ordinary to me, but I have no experience booking hotels via a Celebrity link.  Therefore I do not know what is considered ordinary.  The first clue woukd be when they make you pay in advance before the cruise final payment is due.  seems like a rip off to me.

The site has this statement:

Celebrity Cruises, Inc. Terms & Conditions

NOTICE: [Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. d.b.a. Celebrity Cruises Inc. (“Celebrity”)] has engaged Priceline LLC and Priceline Partner Network Limited (“Priceline”) to provide a convenient accommodation booking experience. Celebrity receives a commission from Priceline for bookings made on this site. Your use of the Priceline website and its underlying technology and services (the “Site”), as well as any bookings or travel services provided by Priceline through the Site constitute transactions solely between you and Priceline, and are subject to Priceline’s terms and conditions. [Celebrity] is not responsible for the contents of the Site, the maintenance of this Site, or any travel services, inventory listing, bookings or payment processed through the Site.

THE FOLLOWING TERMS AND CONDITIONS FORM THE BASIS OF A CONTRACTUAL RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN YOU AND PRICELINE. BY SUBMITTING AN ACCOUNT REGISTRATION AND/OR USING ANY OF THE SERVICES ON THE SITE, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT [CELEBRITY] IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS SITE OR FOR ANY BOOKINGS OR OTHER SERVICES PROVIDED TO YOU BY PRICELINE ON THIS SITE.”

Hello all,

Just one last update. I just got off a lengthy phone call with Celebrity Engagement Center and at last, they agreed to refund the hotel in full. Hooray!! It took several phone calls, many hours on hold while reps consulted with their supervisors and "reviewed" the problem, and multiple emails, but we got it done. It shouldn't be this difficult to get something done that according to their original cancellation notice should have happened automatically.

Anyway, many many thanks to those of you who followed along and offered suggestions. You all were very helpful and I appreciate it very much! 

This is the only time I have ever booked a hotel through the cruise line. I'm pretty sure it will be the last! LOL

One last comment about the Priceline connection: as mentioned before, I booked the hotel on the Celebrity website. I have never used Priceline for any reservations. The confirmation of the hotel that I received came from a Celebrity email address, has the Celebrity name/logo in a huge font right at the top, and does not contain the word Priceline anywhere. Jagoffee, I'm not sure where you found the Terms & Conditions posted above. I searched all over the Celebrity website trying to find information pertaining to the hotels program and couldn't find anything. But it's a moot point now anyway. All's well that ends well. 😀

Thanks again!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, luckybecky said:

Hello all,

Just one last update. I just got off a lengthy phone call with Celebrity Engagement Center and at last, they agreed to refund the hotel in full. Hooray!! It took several phone calls, many hours on hold while reps consulted with their supervisors and "reviewed" the problem, and multiple emails, but we got it done. It shouldn't be this difficult to get something done that according to their original cancellation notice should have happened automatically.

Anyway, many many thanks to those of you who followed along and offered suggestions. You all were very helpful and I appreciate it very much! 

This is the only time I have ever booked a hotel through the cruise line. I'm pretty sure it will be the last! LOL

One last comment about the Priceline connection: as mentioned before, I booked the hotel on the Celebrity website. I have never used Priceline for any reservations. The confirmation of the hotel that I received came from a Celebrity email address, has the Celebrity name/logo in a huge font right at the top, and does not contain the word Priceline anywhere. Jagoffee, I'm not sure where you found the Terms & Conditions posted above. I searched all over the Celebrity website trying to find information pertaining to the hotels program and couldn't find anything. But it's a moot point now anyway. All's well that ends well. 😀

Thanks again!

Congratulations, I am happy for you.  
I found it in the terms on the “hotels.celebritycruises.com ” website.  I agree it seems crazy to me as well.

8 hours ago, luckybecky said:

Hello all,

Thanks again!

Very nice to hear it worked out your way although they made you work for it.