Silhouette LIVE (1/12) w/ Side by Side: A Royal Week on Celebrity and MSC

GenerationX

2 hours ago, Redking said:

We're all packed for our cruise on Saturday so finally getting time to post.

Didn't know you were cruising again until I saw your insta!

Looking forward to your comparison. As for a solo in a Royal, I hope you totally max out and turn that place into your personal spa 🍸🥂👑🙏 Enjoy!

I was thinking if Carla can knock down 2 Liters of Tanquery and all that beer and wine she's a true sailor.   Our last cruise we had to bring a Liter home with us and it was a 14 day cruise.

Carla -  Love the photos of your room and seeing how much you enjoy your RS.    Wait till you try the PH.   We sailed in a RS afterward and Iain said... geeze this room seem small.   I said wait for the SS.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Charla - so looking forward to following you again. What a beautiful suite.

We'll be on Silhouette next month for the 4 night Key West/Nassau trip and splurged on a (lowly) Celebrity Suite. Thanks to everyone for the embarkation tips as it's been a long time since we last sailed out of Miami. Kay (& Mark)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was thinking if Carla can knock down 2 Liters of Tanquery and all that beer and wine she's a true sailor.   Our last cruise we had to bring a Liter home with us and it was a 14 day cruise.

Carla -  Love the photos of your room and seeing how much you enjoy your RS.    Wait till you try the PH.   We sailed in a RS afterward and Iain said... geeze this room seem small.   I said wait for the SS.

I do not think I could consume this much gin, champagne and beer in 5 days and come out conscious, much less of sound enough mind to do a second cruise!

I felt so bad for poor Red when I went to visit her Celebrity Suite after seeing mine. I walked in and involuntarily said “oh…my” in a tone that could not be interpreted as anything other than extremely  underwhelmed.

To be fair though, the CS on this ship is VERY different from the one I had on Millennium and for the most part not in good ways. Gone are the beautiful big wide windows and spacious double sink bathroom.  I assume this is an S vs. M class difference in the CS.

I have a Celebrity Suite booked for Gen Z and I’s Solstice cruise in March and my current suite plus seeing Red’s has me strongly considering an aggressive move up bid to a Royal Suite.

• Like 6

Charla, have a wonderful time. Following along from Mayo Clinic and hope to board Silly next month for a B2B (a first for us). You are 1 of CC’s amazing posters. Can’t wait for each “installment “😁

On the side, I went to college in St. Louis—Wash U—and often dream of a Ted Drew’s concrete. 🍦

• Like 3

If you're in a royal or the PH, they have your picture.  It can get unnerving at times.  Once upon a time when I was in the PH, I wanted some stationery and envelopes and didn't feel like calling the butler and asking for them.  Went down to Guest Relations and there were like two people in front of me in line.  No big deal.  A woman came rushing out from behind the counter to find out what I needed.  Crazy!

• Like 3

I’m not sure which perk of my suite I’m more excited about: the guest half bathroom (which I’m already dreaming of relegating Jeremy and his less than attractive morning bathroom routine to) or the multiple well lit full body mirrors (the one in the bedroom is a thinner look mirror than the one in the bath BTW ladies).

On my way to the elevator this evening my butler Clayton magically apparated out of nowhere with a big smile to wish me a good dinner and good night and ask if there was anything he could do for me before I go to bed tonight.

Currently in Ensemble Lounge for my favorite pre-dinner pass time of cosmopolitans served in an ice cold glass and good live music. The string duo are two ladies I enjoyed on Equinox last year and they still sound just as beautiful and the bartenders are friendly, quick and attentive.

So far, I’m seeing a lot of the Celebrity Cruises that I’ve come to love over the years and it is making my heart very happy.

Good evening from the Silhouette!

266937C2-6B6E-4B1F-A43E-191BA55122C1.thumb.jpeg.dff2df471199bc6369a457c3b047d869.jpeg

B545D4C3-BA1C-4C1C-92C0-6FB33A96E1B4.thumb.jpeg.2f063cda3ffbe45bfb85ab6cb327746f.jpeg

35A4812F-DAED-4545-9655-E05ACDC2C5D0.thumb.jpeg.063983f289c6b09e36b4ca36b35e4d9c.jpeg

Edited by GenerationX
  • Like 20

25 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

I’m not sure which perk of my suite I’m more excited about: the guest half bathroom (which I’m already dreaming of relegating Jeremy and his less than attractive morning bathroom routine to) or the multiple well lit full body mirrors (the one in the bedroom is a thinner look mirror than the one in the bath BTW ladies).

On my way to the elevator this evening my butler Clayton magically apparated out of nowhere with a big smile to wish me a good dinner and good night and ask if there was anything he could do for me before I go to bed tonight.

Currently in Ensemble Lounge for my favorite pre-dinner pass time of cosmopolitans served in an ice cold glass and good live music. The string duo are two ladies I enjoyed on Equinox last year and they still sound just as beautiful and the bartenders are friendly, quick and attentive.

So far, I’m seeing a lot of the Celebrity Cruises that I’ve come to love over the years and it is making my heart very happy.

Good evening from the Silhouette!

266937C2-6B6E-4B1F-A43E-191BA55122C1.thumb.jpeg.dff2df471199bc6369a457c3b047d869.jpeg

B545D4C3-BA1C-4C1C-92C0-6FB33A96E1B4.thumb.jpeg.2f063cda3ffbe45bfb85ab6cb327746f.jpeg

35A4812F-DAED-4545-9655-E05ACDC2C5D0.thumb.jpeg.063983f289c6b09e36b4ca36b35e4d9c.jpeg

I reckon that half bathroom rule applies to a lot of us. On peril of his life is Findlay allowed to use the main bathroom for his daily constitional. He clearly doesn't value his life much!

• Haha 4

Charla, I am excited to be reading this. I love your style of clothes and your style of writing. I will be on Summit in a PH in May and can't wait. I will be looking forward to any tips you have for totally enjoying the suite life. My friend and I really like champagne and I hope they keep our refrigerator well stocked.

Laura

• Like 2

2 hours ago, peanut head said:

Charla, have a wonderful time. Following along from Mayo Clinic and hope to board Silly next month for a B2B (a first for us). You are 1 of CC’s amazing posters. Can’t wait for each “installment “😁

On the side, I went to college in St. Louis—Wash U—and often dream of a Ted Drew’s concrete. 🍦

Thank you! I am a Wash U law graduate and no dessert will ever live up to a Ted Drewes Oreo concrete for me. 

I hope you are home from Mayo Cliinic and sailing healthy and happy very soon!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, leo72976 said:

My wife is in love with your map dress!  Can you share where you found it?  Her birthday is on Saturday and I would love to surprise her.  

I don’t know how to post the link (Charla will know), but go to Amazon and search “Map dress.”  Charla’s is this one:

• Like 2

Following along since I was on Silhouette for Christmas and am looking into an MSC for November. And the globe dress (that I bought after briefly meeting you at the martini bar) is awesome. I wash it in the sink then clip it to a chair on the balcony and it's good as new. All of my wardrobe should be that material.

If you happen to meet Robin in Luminae he's wonderful and Leo was the Retreat bartender. Tell them Susie that gave them socks for Christmas said hello!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, GenerationX said:

I have a Celebrity Suite booked for Gen Z and I’s Solstice cruise in March and my current suite plus seeing Red’s has me strongly considering an aggressive move up bid to a Royal Suite

This is my fear... your review already has me pricing out RS for a cruise this fall (and looking and MSC suites as well).  But I'm afraid I'd never be able to go back..... a slippery slope, for sure!  

• Like 2

On 1/9/2023 at 2:05 PM, GenerationX said:

Since it sounds like there’s folks also interested in the MSC leg, I think I’m leaning towards keeping the reviews in one thread after all.  

Mostly for selfish reasons. I think you’re right that once I switch ships, if I start a new thread on the MSC board, keeping up with two threads is likely to become a heavy lift and I don’t want to end up spending my whole second trip on CC (or the whole month after catching up)!

Perhaps I’ll post a link over on the MSC board though so folks there who are interested can come to “our house” and follow along.

This.

Pls. stay with "us" 😉  , and thank you, as always, for your riveting reviews.

• Like 1

Ladies and Gentlemen, if you’d like to behold a cautionary tale regarding the perils of overindulgence in wine, gin and hip movement intensive dancing, look no further than the sorry blonde creature in an animal print bikini currently languishing on the Silhouette Retreat Sundeck.

Remember how on my last cruise on Beyond I played things super chill as far as the late night scene and was sober and in bed by midnight every night?  Well that sound decision making was fun while it lasted.

This morning Clayton brought me breakfast on my veranda which I promptly followed up with generous amounts of water and Tylenol (for both my 2am Sky Lounge drinking headache and nonstop dancing lower back pain).

The retreat Sundeck on this ship is much windier than it was on the Edge, but not completely intolerable like I found it to be at sea on the M class ships.

While I’m recovering in the sea air, a back in time report on embarkation day lunch in Luminae.  

Red and I both had the pea soup to start and split the ceviche and we were happy with both.  For entrees Red had the Cobb salad and I had the also very nutritious Luminae burger with truffle fries.  Red let me try a bite of her salad and I think it may be my go to next cruise. The bacon pieces in it were the size of my thumb and the green goddess dressing was outstanding.

I wasn’t going to have dessert but Red is a bad influence so we ended up getting the yummy but very rich chocolate and dulce de leche.

Our hostess and server were both fantastic. The only service hiccup was beverage service.  Red and I both wanted wine with lunch and our server promised to send the sommelier over with a wine menu.  Said somm didn’t actually materialize until we were done with our appetizers.  Once we were on his radar though he never let our glasses go empty.

Two very fun ladies my age who are also on a moms’ escape cruise have just occupied the day bed next to me and invited me to join them for a round of Bellinis.  I’m a firm believer than when bucked off a horse you have to get right back on, so I think it’s rally time.

Later today after a pre lunch nap: a report on last night’s Murano dinner and how I ended up in my tragic morning condition.

783213DC-34AB-4D56-A819-46DCF79346F2.thumb.jpeg.10af3ace854fcb988c57465eadd0afe1.jpeg

47EBCB28-87A2-411E-8D53-EB4B81B400BA.thumb.jpeg.934a54b39074b8d88132e4e84e4e97b5.jpeg

3AA71DAF-A597-456C-8E64-E21E5727CFC2.thumb.jpeg.cc9887ce85e551665da77dd08cc3414c.jpeg

22B4A42C-D704-4992-9CDB-28F70EF96AF7.thumb.jpeg.340914aae2faa6275a3086d6c1a9e58a.jpeg

82390350-E29A-403E-B38C-160050508B96.thumb.jpeg.5f8e484787ec5eec6476b4c7aee98cff.jpeg

7C753260-3D8A-4E1C-AB99-3272B974BDE1.thumb.jpeg.b71f8f4413c225bbea9a53347d5c5104.jpeg

9E7F4704-CB20-44B7-A0C0-9AD04C896751.thumb.jpeg.5744c07fe4d670c6cd2556aff4c7f3b1.jpeg

63BB3DB0-9918-4614-AFA8-2F2AFB4E2B12.thumb.jpeg.db7566e67bbc06c26ad8ecd2d90b4f1d.jpeg

F1339271-F0AB-4159-AB3B-5F3BBEBF8F05.thumb.jpeg.478df22b373e588b3c64bfac39c4639e.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

Me:  Hmmm, I had a steak and eggs breakfast and I have a sushi lunch reservation in a half hour. I’m gonna pass on whatever canapés this butler is starting to hand out on the retreat deck.

Celebrity Cruises:  Madam Charla, may I offer you a Kobe beef slider with truffle aioli?

Me:  On the other hand, moderation is for quitters. 😂

215145E5-B1CF-402A-8CA1-0A374E2E2596.thumb.jpeg.b5336b4bbc7dbc3c9509195cca7234df.jpeg

A36830E6-4C1C-4DE0-8BBE-EA560B45387A.thumb.jpeg.22de619778fd8b22255fb9ebdf4f9337.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Haha 10

Those Kobe Beef Sliders are making me salivate.    I've never had one in all our travels.  

One suggestion for Red -   On the Luminae Cobb salad they have pork belly which to me is nothing more that chunks of fat with no flavor.   I have them substitute bacon and add some extra blue cheese.   I think the pork belly would  offer a nice addition if it were rendered and crispy.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, go.without.you said:

If you happen to meet Robin in Luminae he's wonderful and Leo was the Retreat bartender. Tell them Susie that gave them socks for Christmas said hello!

We had Robin a few times, I agree.  Who is the manager of Luminae?  

16 hours ago, raudacruise said:

I don’t know how to post the link (Charla will know), but go to Amazon and search “Map dress.”  Charla’s is this one:

Thank you so much!  My wife is going to be so happy!

• Like 1

Hi Charla!  I'm so happy you're cruising again and taking us along.  I hope you and Red have a wonderful trip.  I think the upper suites on the M class are very different from the S class.  Sort of like when condos built in the 70's are more substantial than the ones built in the 80's!  😄  Thank you for taking the time for this report. I hope we can sail together again, when I don't have the family obligations I did on the Equinox last June.  Cheers!!! 🥂

• Like 1

Thank you so much! Loving your review. I’ll be on Silhouette in a few short weeks.

If you get a moment to check out the duty free liquor, I’d love to know if Hennessy Pure White is stocked currently. And also if there are any fun traveler exclusive scotches. Thank you so much if you’re able to help!

enjoy your cruise and your suite!

• Like 1