FYI: NEXUS renewals

Russ Lomas

Our Nexus cards (which we have had for about 4 1/2 years) are set to expire in about 6 months.  You are permitted to renew them up to one year prior to them expiring.  We submitted our renewal applications and have been waiting about 2 1/2 months, and have not yet received any emails or communication in regard to the status of our renewals.  I reached out to the US government for an update.  Below is the info I just received.  This will be very important to those of you who are submitting for renewals.

We are currently experiencing high demand and processing volumes.  Processing times vary by applicant, but on average you can expect your application to be processed as follows:
•       GE: up to 9 months
•       NEXUS: 18-20 months
•       SENTRI: 16-18 months
These are average times. Unfortunately, we cannot anticipate a date of completion for your specific application at this time.

All applicants should check the Trusted Traveler Program website (https://ttp.dhs.gov/) periodically for updates or status of their application.

Additionally, if you submitted your NEXUS renewal before your membership expired, then you may continue using your benefits until the renewal is finalized (up to 60 months/5 years after your expiration date). We recommend that you print out a copy of your pending renewal to show the Customs and Border Protection Officer, if requested.

• Thanks 2

Did you log into your account to see the status?  

We both got an email informing us we could renew ours on line which we did.  Mine I renewed in September and have received the new one already thankfully.   I know they said it could take a very long time when we renewed ours so hopefully you’ll be surprised and get yours sooner rather than later.  We both were pleasantly surprised when it arrived in the mail. 

Oh, and we got the renewal email exactly 6 months before the expiry date and filled it in right away. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

Our Nexus cards (which we have had for about 4 1/2 years) are set to expire in about 6 months.  You are permitted to renew them up to one year prior to them expiring.  We submitted our renewal applications and have been waiting about 2 1/2 months, and have not yet received any emails or communication in regard to the status of our renewals.  I reached out to the US government for an update.  Below is the info I just received.  This will be very important to those of you who are submitting for renewals.

We are currently experiencing high demand and processing volumes.  Processing times vary by applicant, but on average you can expect your application to be processed as follows:
These are average times. Unfortunately, we cannot anticipate a date of completion for your specific application at this time.

All applicants should check the Trusted Traveler Program website (https://ttp.dhs.gov/) periodically for updates or status of their application.

Additionally, if you submitted your NEXUS renewal before your membership expired, then you may continue using your benefits until the renewal is finalized (up to 60 months/5 years after your expiration date). We recommend that you print out a copy of your pending renewal to show the Customs and Border Protection Officer, if requested.

Keep your fingers crossed. Mine renewed fairly quickly without a need for an interview. DW's application (1st card) is Conditionally Approved. In the other Nexus thread, people are reporting that their status is updating to Approved without having to go through the interview even for new cards. Finally found an interview date/time that works for us in Niagara Falls so we booked her interview. Worst case scenario is we'll make it a weekend in Niagara on the Lake, best case scenario her status flips and the interview is cancelled. 

1 hour ago, canadianbear said:

Did you log into your account to see the status?  

We both got an email informing us we could renew ours on line which we did.  Mine I renewed in September and have received the new one already thankfully.   I know they said it could take a very long time when we renewed ours so hopefully you’ll be surprised and get yours sooner rather than later.  We both were pleasantly surprised when it arrived in the mail. 

Oh, and we got the renewal email exactly 6 months before the expiry date and filled it in right away. 

I tried logging in online to check the status, but it wants to sent a text code and then says it cannot send to Canadian phone numbers.  It also says I can enter the 16 digit code they previously provided, but when I do that, it says that code has already been used and I require a new code each time I check.  I have no idea where I would get this new code they ask for.

2 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

I looked back in my notes & saw that after applying for the renewal on line when I logged in 6 weeks later it said “approved”.   So you may get lucky.  No interviews for us either.  

It has been 9 weeks for us thus far since completing the application online.  Did you receive your replacement cards yet, or did you just see your status online said approved?

35 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

I tried logging in online to check the status, but it wants to sent a text code and then says it cannot send to Canadian phone numbers.  It also says I can enter the 16 digit code they previously provided, but when I do that, it says that code has already been used and I require a new code each time I check.  I have no idea where I would get this new code they ask for.

It was September when I logged in to apply but I do remember it being frustrating.  However, finally figured it out (I think login.gov? ) and I did get a code via text and I’m in Canada….weird.

When I checked my status on line in October it said approved.  I didn’t write down the date I finally got the renewed Nexus in the mail but I’m thinking early November? 

Edited by canadianbear
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

I tried logging in online to check the status, but it wants to sent a text code and then says it cannot send to Canadian phone numbers. 

That doesn't make sense...Nexus is for Canada/US...both myself and DW recently logged in and it sent a code via text and we are in Canada. 

18 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

We submitted our renewal applications and have been waiting about 2 1/2 months, and have not yet received any emails or communication in regard to the status of our renewals.

Did you login and check the status on your account? It will usually say conditional approved. If you need an interview it will also show up there.

My DW waited 18 months before she was approved and a new card issued...I only waited 8 months. The only email they usually send is to say there is a change in your status and to login to view the changes.

16 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

I tried logging in online to check the status, but it wants to sent a text code and then says it cannot send to Canadian phone numbers. 

Thinking out loud here, and it probably isn't your issue, but exactly what phone number did you use (and that it wants to send an SMS text message to)? If you used a non-SMS capable phone, such as your home phone, then their system may recognize that you can't receive a test message. Our home phone can't receive texts.

16 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

This happened to me when I set up my husbands Nexus. I only had a phone number, not text. They used to call phone numbers in Canada but changed this recently. You can’t add your cell phone number or change it to your profile so you will have to delete your login.gov account and start over. I was hesitate to do this but I had to in order to access my renewal and to activate the account. Once you delete your account, it will take 24 hrs for them to email you and then you can start over. You won’t lose anything in your Nexus account. Once deleted, you can then go into your profile and show your cell phone for texts and also as a back up get back up codes as well. The back up codes can only be used once. I got 10 codes now then I printed off to use if I lose anything.  This whole deletion was stressful as I thought I would lose everything but I didn’t so it does work. Deleting your account is the only way to change your profile as I had asked login.gov this question via email. Good luck!!!

• Like 2

On 1/9/2023 at 7:40 PM, Russ Lomas said:

I have been waiting 20 months now for mine to be approved! LOL  I check it every now and then and it still says Pending Review. I forget about it until I see one of these posts. haha 

Some are lucky and get it fast and some (like me) not so much

My card has long expired and I have used it quite a few times since with no issues. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ljtinney said:

I have been waiting 20 months now for mine to be approved! LOL  I check it every now and then and it still says Pending Review. I forget about it until I see one of these posts. haha 

Some are lucky and get it fast and some (like me) not so much

My card has long expired and I have used it quite a few times since with no issues. 

Mine was in the waiting stage since Oct 2020. When I tried using it in Dec I was told that it was expired and I explained that I paid and not my issue.

5 hours ago, gold1953 said:

Mine was in the waiting stage since Oct 2020. When I tried using it in Dec I was told that it was expired and I explained that I paid and not my issue.

oh that's too bad? Where? 

I used mine a few times in December. Both in person and the kiosks accepted it. Also added it to my AC flight from the states to get TSA precheck. 

3 hours ago, ljtinney said:

oh that's too bad? Where? 

I used mine a few times in December. Both in person and the kiosks accepted it. Also added it to my AC flight from the states to get TSA precheck. 

This was in YYZ coming home form Florida

On 1/10/2023 at 1:59 PM, CaptainBazz said:

Did you login and check the status on your account? It will usually say conditional approved. If you need an interview it will also show up there.

I was unable to log in and check the status.  It told me the 10-digit code had been used and was now invalid.  I did not receive a text from them with a code either (says on the page they do not text to Canada, which I found strange).

On 1/10/2023 at 2:12 PM, lx200gps said:

Thinking out loud here, and it probably isn't your issue, but exactly what phone number did you use (and that it wants to send an SMS text message to)? If you used a non-SMS capable phone, such as your home phone, then their system may recognize that you can't receive a test message. Our home phone can't receive texts.

Thinking back, this could very well be the issue.  I only got a cell about 3 1/2 years ago and I have had Nexus now for 4 1/2 years.  It likely is trying to text our landline.  Thanks for the wakeup call - never considered that.

On 1/10/2023 at 2:58 PM, Travelexpert35 said:

This happened to me when I set up my husbands Nexus. I only had a phone number, not text. They used to call phone numbers in Canada but changed this recently. You can’t add your cell phone number or change it to your profile so you will have to delete your login.gov account and start over. I was hesitate to do this but I had to in order to access my renewal and to activate the account. Once you delete your account, it will take 24 hrs for them to email you and then you can start over. You won’t lose anything in your Nexus account. Once deleted, you can then go into your profile and show your cell phone for texts and also as a back up get back up codes as well. The back up codes can only be used once. I got 10 codes now then I printed off to use if I lose anything.  This whole deletion was stressful as I thought I would lose everything but I didn’t so it does work. Deleting your account is the only way to change your profile as I had asked login.gov this question via email. Good luck!!!

This is probably what I will have to do then.  The stress of deleting the account is what worries me.  I already put forth the renewal application back in late October and paid and submitted it because I had one 10-digit code.  Now that will no longer work and I likely have the system set up to a landline, which will not provide a code to me for verification.  I just do not know if it will interfere with my renewal request that I already completed if I delete and start a new account.

Russ, I also had paid for the renewal and was waiting to check on the status when I couldn’t access my account. I had a landline set up in my account and couldn’t change it to my cell phone. I emailed login.gov and asked them directly what to do. They advised me to delete my account. You can certainly email them as well to verify this. It worked for me. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2023 at 7:02 PM, Russ Lomas said:

I've never had problems getting texts to my Canadian number from US Government site. That includes the DHS site.

On 1/27/2023 at 7:13 PM, Kamloops50 said:

I've never had problems getting texts to my Canadian number from US Government site. That includes the DHS site.

Thanks for the input.  Turns out the page reads it cannot CALL Canadian numbers for verification.  It can text.  Problem was we used a landline number since I did not have a cellphone number when I originally created the account years ago. You cannot update your phone number in the DHS site, so it kept trying to text our landline.  Had to delete the DHS account totally and create a new profile and link the data. 

On 1/9/2023 at 7:40 PM, Russ Lomas said:

I think the best way to get a status update is to check your online account.  Renewals shouldn’t take that long. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sk8trgrl said:

I think the best way to get a status update is to check your online account.  Renewals shouldn’t take that long. 

The problem was that I was unable to log into my account.  I ended up finally having to delete my account and creating a new one.  I then had to register my Nexus application with the new account.  After a few days, it was still reading "pending".  I finally got an email a week ago (about 3 months after applying for renewal) that it had been renewed.

• Like 2

As a followup, my NEXUS renewal arrived in the mail today.  I applied for my renewal and paid the fee on October 30, 2022.  I received the replacement card on February 7, 2023, approximately 3 months and one week after applying for it.  My daughters (whom I also completed the renewal applications on the same date) still have not received their new cards yet.  Hopefully, this info will assist those who are planning to renew then NEXUS cards as well.

After reading this I ran to check the expiry date of my NEXUS card LOL - seems it is expiring in April 2025 - so should I wait a bit to renew it?  (e.g. in the summer/fall?) - I am travelling in May/June - so maybe after that? (and trying to remember if I used my cell phone number or if I even had one when I originally signed up! 🤪 )

Thanks for all the great info above!

41 minutes ago, Froufie said:

After reading this I ran to check the expiry date of my NEXUS card LOL - seems it is expiring in April 2025 - so should I wait a bit to renew it?  (e.g. in the summer/fall?) - I am travelling in May/June - so maybe after that? (and trying to remember if I used my cell phone number or if I even had one when I originally signed up! 🤪 )

Thanks for all the great info above!

You can’t renew it until one year before expiry; for you that will be April 2024.

• Like 1