Unsatisfactory Embarkation and Disembarkation in San Pedro on the NCL Joy

wildcats40

We had a wonderful cruise on the Joy to the Mexican Riviera and have lots of positive feedback (cleanliness, layout, friendliness, food, entertainment), but I felt like I needed to express our dissatisfaction with the embarkation and disembarkation in San Pedro.  We did put this in our post-cruise survey.  It was a cool, rainy day when we were getting on the ship and we were kept under a tent at the port for almost 3 hours without any communication on why we were delayed.  We were quickly checked in and given a number for boarding and sat in the folding chairs expecting numbers to be called out.  People in the Haven were sitting in a section to themselves but in the same situation.  FInally, someone got on the microphone which was barely audible in addition to an accent we could hardly understand.  They started taking the Haven people first which is understandable.  At this port, you had to take a shuttle bus a short distance to where you actually board so it was very time consuming.  When they started calling numbers for everyone else, it was hard to hear.  It didn't help that probably 3500 people were gathered in the tent.  People who had higher numbers started complaining and the employee started trading higher numbers for lower numbers so they could skip ahead (for instance, trading number 22 for number 4).  We were trying to patiently wait for our number (10) to be called but it was very unfair and chaotic.  Not a good start to our cruise experience.  

At disembarkation, we lined up by the theater at the time we were given but no one seemed to even check that we were there at the right time so it was irrelevant.  There were very few people to ask questions of.  There were no chairs for elderly to sit in while they waited.  Other cruises, we gathered in a dining room or other public area that was comfortable.  When I went to use the restroom, I found out they were all locked on this deck (guess they'd already been cleaned for the next cruise).  I would have had to get out of line and go to another deck to use the bathroom.  Again, no one told us when we would be let off.  Once we got off, we went to pick up our luggage.  They were organized and we found one of our two pieces.  We had to have help finding the second suitcase because it had other luggage piled on top of it, even though it was the smallest carry-on size.  The worst part was there were large puddles of water and they had suitcases sitting in it.  I attached a photo.  We weren't happy about that at all.  It was under a tent but they should have swept away the water or put tarps over it or something.  I hope this isn't a common occurence.

IMG_9899.jpg

Thanks for your review of the Port for the City of Los Angeles.  The port is the worst excuse for a large city like Los Angeles and for the Federal authorities that manage the immigration and customs process.  The city needs to put some money into this port facility and upgrade to modern standards. The city has a new mayor; maybe writing letters to her will start the process for beginning the process. Sadly, all the cruise companies are burdened with having to provide excellent customer service in a run down facility.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JamesIowa said:

Is the bussing from one pier to another at San Pedro new? Cruised out of there a few times, last one was Dec 22,  and never had to do that….even with Covid testing 

I was wondering the same thing. We cruised from there in Oct 22 and didn't have to shuttle.  Maybe they were at a different dock than they normally use?

1 hour ago, JamesIowa said:

Is the bussing from one pier to another at San Pedro new? Cruised out of there a few times, last one was Dec 22,  and never had to do that….even with Covid testing 

1 hour ago, quillwercruisers said:

I was wondering the same thing. We cruised from there in Oct 22 and didn't have to shuttle.  Maybe they were at a different dock than they normally use?

If there are more than two ships in port a berth outside the main cruise terminal (pier 46 ??...but I may have the wrong number) is used by the third ship and you do get shuttled there . It isn't set up with the usual facilities for cruise ships so I imagine it is a mess by all reports.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for clarifying @njhorseman  I've also sailed a couple times from that port and was confused by the shuttle bus situation.

My experiences at that port were quite different.  One embarkation was delayed due to a CG inspection for the ship but my 2 trips through there were fine.

12 minutes ago, JamesIowa said:

So is it just a shuttle between the princess pier to pier 92? Like they’re just not allowing you to walk that short distance but bus instead?

Re-read the post by @njhorseman there's another pier that is not part of the cruise terminal area that was used for this trip, at least for embarkation.  According to the port schedule (https://www.portsamerica.com/operations/cruise-los-angeles-terminal-schedule) it was berth 50.  I can't find that on Google Maps but 55 and 58 are out by the outer harbor.

Edited by hallux

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

If there are more than two ships in port a berth outside the main cruise terminal (pier 46 ??...but I may have the wrong number) is used by the third ship and you do get shuttled there . It isn't set up with the usual facilities for cruise ships so I imagine it is a mess by all reports.

Thank you for the information. We've never gone out of there where it has been docked somewhere else.

3 hours ago, wildcats40 said:

We had a wonderful cruise on the Joy to the Mexican Riviera and have lots of positive feedback (cleanliness, layout, friendliness, food, entertainment), but I felt like I needed to express our dissatisfaction with the embarkation and disembarkation in San Pedro.  We did put this in our post-cruise survey.  It was a cool, rainy day when we were getting on the ship and we were kept under a tent at the port for almost 3 hours without any communication on why we were delayed.  We were quickly checked in and given a number for boarding and sat in the folding chairs expecting numbers to be called out.  People in the Haven were sitting in a section to themselves but in the same situation.  FInally, someone got on the microphone which was barely audible in addition to an accent we could hardly understand.  They started taking the Haven people first which is understandable.  At this port, you had to take a shuttle bus a short distance to where you actually board so it was very time consuming.  When they started calling numbers for everyone else, it was hard to hear.  It didn't help that probably 3500 people were gathered in the tent.  People who had higher numbers started complaining and the employee started trading higher numbers for lower numbers so they could skip ahead (for instance, trading number 22 for number 4).  We were trying to patiently wait for our number (10) to be called but it was very unfair and chaotic.  Not a good start to our cruise experience.  

At disembarkation, we lined up by the theater at the time we were given but no one seemed to even check that we were there at the right time so it was irrelevant.  There were very few people to ask questions of.  There were no chairs for elderly to sit in while they waited.  Other cruises, we gathered in a dining room or other public area that was comfortable.  When I went to use the restroom, I found out they were all locked on this deck (guess they'd already been cleaned for the next cruise).  I would have had to get out of line and go to another deck to use the bathroom.  Again, no one told us when we would be let off.  Once we got off, we went to pick up our luggage.  They were organized and we found one of our two pieces.  We had to have help finding the second suitcase because it had other luggage piled on top of it, even though it was the smallest carry-on size.  The worst part was there were large puddles of water and they had suitcases sitting in it.  I attached a photo.  We weren't happy about that at all.  It was under a tent but they should have swept away the water or put tarps over it or something.  I hope this isn't a common occurence.

IMG_9899.jpg

I'm sorry to hear that but glad you enjoyed your cruise.

We are sailing out of that Port next week (Bliss) so I am hoping it will be better. Based upon the scheduled posted above, it appears that the Bliss is the only ship at Port that day so I would imagine no shuttle would be necessary (one would hope).

May I ask what time your check in time was although I know they really don't check those. We have the first check-in slot and will have a small child with us so I hope we do not have the same difficulties as you.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Edited by SuzieQ521

1 hour ago, JamesIowa said:

So is it just a shuttle between the world cruise/princess pier to pier 92? Like they’re just not allowing you to walk that short distance but bus instead?

No, when I went 12/18-12/23, we embarked at pier 91 I think (Princess was also there at 92 maybe). But, when we returned, Royal Caribbean was at 91, so we docked at pier 50. But, our luggage was over at Pier 46 which was just across the big parking lot, but we weren't allowed to walk there. So, we had to put our luggage out the night before (our plan was to just walk off with luggage, assuming we were back at 91). Then, we waited forever for our group to be called, walked off, took a bus to the other side of the pier area, found our luggage, got in another long line to take the bus back to pier 91/92 so that we could get a Lyft to the airport. No rideshare drivers were allowed to come to where we actually got off the ship or got our luggage. It made for quite a long process. The only main "positive" was that it was not raining on 12/23. Others that had a similar situation had to do it with rain.

31 minutes ago, SuzieQ521 said:

May I ask what time your check in time was although I know they really don't check those. We have the first check-in slot and will have a small child with us so I hope we do not have the same difficulties as you.

Check in time is NOT boarding time and if you have an early check-in time you can expect to have a long wait. Your edocs should say when boarding begins - often that is around noon.

• Like 1

We had a time of 9-9:30 and knew we probably wouldn’t be boarding they early but didn’t expect to wait 2 1/2 hours.  The bus shuttle across the parking lot did seem ridiculous but you weren’t allowed to walk. There was another ship,  Royal Caribbean ship, at the port so maybe that was part of the issue.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JamesIowa said:

So is it just a shuttle between the world cruise/princess pier to pier 92? Like they’re just not allowing you to walk that short distance but bus instead?

We had to do that back in February when COVID testing was in one terminal and once you were cleared, they gave you a wrist-band and shuttled you to the "real" terminal for check-in.

• Like 1

We are on the January 27th Panama Canal (LA to Miami) cruise.  My e-docs give our pier address as "Port of LA Outer Harbor, Berth 46, 3011 Miner Street, San Pedro, CA".  Fine (maybe, lol).  I see it on the map and understand that we will be embarking from a tent, not the normal terminal, which is in a different location.  (The Port of LA Schedule confirms the Bliss will be at Berth 46.)

BUT now I am reading about several recent cruises where people had to go to the main cruise port and were then shuttled down to the Outer Harbor?  Since NCL is directing us to go to Berth 46 in our e-docs I was (silly me?) going to follow their instructions and go to the address we were given (duh).  I am now wondering if NCL expects us to be sufficiently clairvoyant know that we are to go to the usual cruise terminal to be shuttled rather than go where our e-docs tell us to go???

Just as an aside - The 1/27cruise has been messed with so much already that it is something many on our Roll Call would never have booked in it's present form.  Of course, the changes were made after final payment.  We had 2 ports dropped and they were replaced with Acapulco (Level 4 State Department Advisory with gang and cartel activity in the tourist area, not just in the boonies) and Jamaica (Level 3 - "crime and sexual assault commonplace" and police overwhelmed by the sheer volume of it and unable to respond effectively).  In addition our time in Panama was shortened from and full day and overnight and is now completely useless (4 PM - 11 PM).  To top that off people who just sailed are saying they were not even allowed to walk around the port area due to construction.  And now this.   

Rant over - sometimes you just have to laugh.  Bliss is such a beautiful ship and it doesn't rain much in LA and it was cheap 🙂   We're retired with plenty of time to waste so we still expect to enjoy the cruise.  But, good grief, I am shaking my head here.  Can anything else pile on?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Travelling2Some said:

We are on the January 27th Panama Canal (LA to Miami) cruise.  My e-docs give our pier address as "Port of LA Outer Harbor, Berth 46, 3011 Miner Street, San Pedro, CA".  Fine (maybe, lol).  I see it on the map and understand that we will be embarking from a tent, not the normal terminal, which is in a different location.  (The Port of LA Schedule confirms the Bliss will be at Berth 46.)

BUT now I am reading about several recent cruises where people had to go to the main cruise port and were then shuttled down to the Outer Harbor?  Since NCL is directing us to go to Berth 46 in our e-docs I was (silly me?) going to follow their instructions and go to the address we were given (duh).  I am now wondering if NCL expects us to be sufficiently clairvoyant know that we are to go to the usual cruise terminal to be shuttled rather than go where our e-docs tell us to go???

Since your ship will be departing from Berth 46 NCL is correct...they can't put anything else in your e docs .

I think you'll find that you can't go to Berth 46 on your own and the driver of any vehicle that is transporting you will be directed to go to the main Berth 92/93 complex....however that isn't from personal experience but rather my reading into what other cruisers have said...but I could be misinterpreting.

Edited by njhorseman

12 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Since your ship will be departing from Berth 46 NCL is correct...they can't put anything else in your e docs .

I think you'll find that you can't go to Berth 46 on your own and the driver of any vehicle that is transporting you will be directed to go to the main Berth 92/93 complex. 

Thank you.  It is confusing as NCL has nowhere indicated that we should go anywhere but the address given on our e-docs.  If I were not on Cruise Critic I would not even be aware of the conundrum.  I was (am?) hoping that they had realized the shuttling was problematic and gotten things together so that people could check in at the Outer Harbor.  That still may be the case but there is no communication (as usual with NCL!) 

We (and many others from our Roll Call) are staying the night before at the Crowne Plaza, which is very close (walking distance) to the normal cruise terminal.  We spoke to the front desk there and alerted them that we would sail from Berth 46 and we were assured the were aware and would have a shuttle going there.  So we will see what actually happens.  I'm guessing the hotel will take an interest in where they should be sending their shuttle and be motivated to sort it out.  I would be if I were them but, then again, I am an efficient type.

Edited by Travelling2Some
  • Like 1

Sorry if this has been explained as I'm still confused...so is B92 the main area that does NOT require the shuttle?

It looks like the Bliss is leaving from B92 next week but then on the 27th (disembarkation) it is at B50 (so we need to shuttle then)?

Thanks 

3 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

Thank you.  It is confusing as NCL has nowhere indicated that we should go anywhere but the address given on our e-docs.  If I were not on Cruise Critic I would not even be aware of the conundrum.  I was (am?) hoping that they had realized the shuttling was problematic and gotten things together so that people could check in at the Outer Harbor.  That still may be the case but there is no communication (as usual with NCL!) 

We (and many others from our Roll Call) are staying the night before at the Crowne Plaza, which is very close (walking distance) to the normal cruise terminal.  We spoke to the front desk there and alerted them that we would sail from Berth 46 and we were assured the were aware and would have a shuttle going there.  So we will see what actually happens.  I'm guessing the hotel will take an interest in where they should be sending their shuttle and be motivated to sort it out.

We sail the week before you (22nd) on the Bliss and are also staying at the Crowne. I will check back in if we take the shuttle and let you know the process.

Have a nice cruise!

1 minute ago, SuzieQ521 said:

Sorry if this has been explained as I'm still confused...so is B92 the main area that does NOT require the shuttle?

It looks like the Bliss is leaving from B92 next week but then on the 27th (disembarkation) it is at B50 (so we need to shuttle then)?

Thanks 

Berth 92 and 93 are at the normal main cruise terminal.  Berth 50 is at the mixed use (overflow) Outer Harbor which is about 2 miles away from the main terminal.  Don't know if this will involve a shuttle for you on disembarkation and/or a shuttle for us embarking on the same day you disembark.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SuzieQ521 said:

We sail the week before you (22nd) on the Bliss and are also staying at the Crowne. I will check back in if we take the shuttle and let you know the process.

Have a nice cruise!  P.S.  If I was disembarking like you I would take all my luggage off with me since it seems like that would solve some problems according to some posts above about having to shuttle to get to their luggage across the parking lot?

Thanks!  I will be in Cali traveling by the 22n'd but will try to have a look at Cruise Critic to see what happened with you.  Wish you a good cruise too.

Edited by Travelling2Some
  • Like 1

I appreciate everyone posting their experiences. I am going on the Joy with a disembarkation at Berth 50. I usually walk off with my carry-on and catch an early-ish flight out of Long Beach, so all of this information is helpful. 

I will be traveling with my in-laws, one who is in a wheelchair. Anyone who has gone through the shuttle process getting off the ship out of Berth 50 recently, what was the total time from getting off the ship to arriving to the taxi stand?  

Thank you!