Reporting from on the Rotterdam January 14 through February 25

iflyrc5

On 2/8/2023 at 4:13 PM, RMLincoln said:

As others have said, a lot of the noise is people at tables. But the servers areas on Koningsdam are large and few. But they generate a constant noise level of clatter. I have never experienced this before. 

From what OP was told, Rotterdam has more server areas and maybe that will help.

m—

Interesting, because on every ship we've sailed on (and not just HAL), we've always had a continuous clamor of background noise that we expect from the hustle and bustle of a very busy dining room serving hundreds of people at the same time.

it is expected/accepted background noise that has never interfered with table conversation, or any other aspects of enjoyment of the MDR experience.

9 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

We’re boarding Feb 25. Wondering if they’ve shown the new Too Gun Maverick movie.  We saw it on Eurodam in December in Main Stage theater.   Would love to see it again. Thought maybe they’d have it at the pool but I haven’t seen it listed. Thanks for posting all the Dailys. Have a great last segment!  

They have not had Top Gun on this ship since we boarded on Jan 14.  They did have it on the NA in November.

3 hours ago, 0106 said:

Many rainbows on this cruise.  While on our ship’s excursion, Snorkel Martinique, snapped this picture.54B1BC79-DDFC-4323-BEA6-45D8FC1DFE23.thumb.jpeg.4d1b59638c1c79dd3a53134cad8edcdc.jpeg

I loved this snorkel excursion.  I am just learning, had a few panic moments, but I actually was able to stick my face in and not drown 😅 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2023 at 10:42 AM, CruisingGrandmaW said:

I do the same thing - I sit on the Right side of pool and never smell the cigarette smoke from that side; unless on rare occasion - wind is blowing it where you get a slight wift every now and then. 

But that RARELY happens - just sit on Right Side.... the Non-Smoking side

Using proper nautical terminology, the smoking section on Rotterdam is on deck 9 aft (Sea View Bar area), starboard side (facing forward). The non-smoking area is on the port side.

On 2/8/2023 at 3:55 PM, Florida_gal_50 said:

I still wash my pants and a few other things in the sink because they aren’t easily replaced.

Thank you for posting this. It's a great reminder to me that one of the first things I'll need to do after boarding and getting into our cabin next month is to thoroughly clean the bathroom sink before using it to shave or wash my face, etc.. 

In St Kitts today and found ice cold Carib beers - 3 for $6.  As you leave the terminal building go straight ahead until you get to the "No Rush Bar" - when angle to the left about 45 degrees - go about 300 feet and as you enter an open area  on the left you will find Mrs. Moore's Eat to Live.  Carib and other beers are 3 for $6.  Several tables and lots of shade - a good place to people watch too.

DSCN4966.JPG

DSCN4969.JPG

DSCN4970.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KroozNut said:

Thank you for posting this. It's a great reminder to me that one of the first things I'll need to do after boarding and getting into our cabin next month is to thoroughly clean the bathroom sink before using it to shave or wash my face, etc.. 

Of course.  I do that for all surfaces daily including the sink.  I also do the phone, door handles and the remote and light switches.  Actually I do most of it twice a day.

I was recently on the Rotterdam for the first time, but for only 10 days, so I did not get a chance to check out a few things that I would like to know in preparation for another cruise on her (this next time will be with DH, who has specific questions to help him prepare, while my prior cruise recently was with a friend).  Apologies if this has been recently addressed elsewhere:

1.  Is the hot tub that is up near the cabanas open to all, or only open to guests who pay cabana fees (and if the latter, what do cabana fees run , absent a special, per day per person)? My DH loves hot tubs on ships, but not when they are in the middle of a loud, busy pool area.

2.  Are the hours for the hot tub near the cabanas the same as for the hot tubs and pools elsewhere (i.e., 8am-9pm)?

Related:  can you access the cabana area after 9PM (just to sit, and without service?).

3.  Can one get either Activia or some other probiotic enhanced yoghurt or super probiotic enhanced health drink on the ship (with or without advance special order/accomodation)? I did not see any at room service or at the two times I went for a late Lido breakfast.  I know there is regular Greek white yoghurt 

4.  I noticed there were no trays available for guest use  in the Lido or comfort food areas (Dive-in, NY pizza, Dutch cafe), which made it hard to transport a plate and a drink back to our cabin while still navigating elevator buttons etc.  (e.g., when there was no seating nearby and/or the area was too warm).  Lack of a tray also meant one had to walk several times to take food from the food lines to a table for a quick lunch (which can be challenging for those with unsteady gaits and/or when the ship is swaying a lot ). A crew member  whom I asked vaguely said it was to discourage food waste, and that crew are now also not given trays for this reason. 

Does anyone know if it would be permissible for a passenger to bring her own tray to use while on the trip, so she could carry things more easily in one trip, or is that forbidden (or is it perhaps allowed with an advance medical justification?).  

I also did not see enough staff in the Lido to help unsteady pax with their plates, e.g.,  when they had canes or their  seats were far away from the serving areas.  Are they perhaps allowed to ask one of the drinks staff to bring them something, or is it just expected that they go eat either in the main dining room or get room service, if they have problems carrying individual plates to the table?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

16 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

1.  Is the hot tub that is up near the cabanas open to all, or only open to guests who pay cabana fees (and if the latter, what do cabana fees run , absent a special, per day per person)? My DH loves hot tubs on ships, but not when they are in the middle of a loud, busy pool area.

2.  Are the hours for the hot tub near the cabanas the same as for the hot tubs and pools elsewhere (i.e., 8am-9pm)?

Related:  can you access the cabana area after 9PM (just to sit, and without service?).

The hot tub in the Retreat is for people who rent cabanas there only - it's not an area open to the general public.  For a 7-night cruise a regular cabana (2 people) is $399, a family cabana (4 people) is $549 and it goes up from there depending on the length of the cruise.

The Retreat is open 9-5.  Prior to 9 they're getting set up for the day, and by 5 they're shutting down - cabanas are closed off, chair cushions are stowed away, towels put away, etc.  I guess you can enter the area after hour but why?  There's nothing there - you're better off by the aft pool if chairs are out there.  I'm pretty certain the hot tub is covered with a net outside of the 9-5 hours.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

The hot tub in the Retreat is for people who rent cabanas there only - it's not an area open to the general public.  For a 7-night cruise a regular cabana (2 people) is $399, a family cabana (4 people) is $549 and it goes up from there depending on the length of the cruise.

The Retreat is open 9-5.  Prior to 9 they're getting set up for the day, and by 5 they're shutting down - cabanas are closed off, chair cushions are stowed away, towels put away, etc.  I guess you can enter the area after hour but why?  There's nothing there - you're better off by the aft pool if chairs are out there.  I'm pretty certain the hot tub is covered with a net outside of the 9-5 hours.

Sue/WDW1972

Thank you for the information.   The reason to consider sitting there would be to have a comfortable quiet seat with the sound of the sea, rather than the sound of the music and/or other noise that may be pumped in near the pool.  Or maybe it is not pumped in at the aft pool at night (I forgot to check)?  We had late night pizza a couple times at the Lido pool (not aft) and there was either a movie showing with of course audible dialogue,  or pop music playing that we did not care for (so we retreated to our cabin which had a nice balcony)

27 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

Thank you for the information.   The reason to consider sitting there would be to have a comfortable quiet seat with the sound of the sea, rather than the sound of the music and/or other noise that may be pumped in near the pool.  Or maybe it is not pumped in at the aft pool at night (I forgot to check)?  We had late night pizza a couple times at the Lido pool (not aft) and there was either a movie showing with of course audible dialogue,  or pop music playing that we did not care for (so we retreated to our cabin which had a nice balcony)

Yes and that is why people rent cabanas.  To get away from noise and congestion of people.  At least that is my reason.  I don't really understand why people think the area is open to the public.  It's pretty steep for Canadians after the conversion.  I'd rather not pay for it either but if I want a place to relax that's the price I need to pay.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Yes and that is why people rent cabanas.  To get away from noise and congestion of people.  At least that is my reason.  I don't really understand why people think the area is open to the public.  It's pretty steep for Canadians after the conversion.  I'd rather not pay for it either but if I want a place to relax that's the price I need to pay.

1.  I'm confused by this reply  -- I replied to post #264 with my post #265, to explain *why* one might want to enter the cabana area at night to just sit, rather than sitting on chairs at a pool, not to assert that I think it should be "free" . 

2. From post #264, my understanding (as a newbie who is still learning how HAL works ) now is that the seating gets covered at 5, so there is no seating available up there for late at night (with or without a fee, which is a separate issue).

As a newbie, I make no assumptions about what is and is not available without extra charge (ergo the inquiry), and we're definitely  in agreement that it is nice to get away from noise and congestion (and if it takes $ to do that, so be it).  

Do you have any special areas you would recommend to sit outside after 5 that are relatively quiet (other than a cabin  balcony)?  I realize the answer may depend on which ship one is on.

I should have spent more time exploring all the nooks and crannies on the ship when I was on, to get a better feel for it, but it was so big and we were so busy enjoying ourselves (on the ship and off) that 10 days was not enough to get fully educated!

2 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

1.  I'm confused by this reply  -- I replied to post #264 with my post #265, to explain *why* one might want to enter the cabana area at night to just sit, rather than sitting on chairs at a pool, not to assert that I think it should be "free" . 

2. From post #264, my understanding (as a newbie who is still learning how HAL works ) now is that the seating gets covered at 5, so there is no seating available up there for late at night (with or without a fee, which is a separate issue).

As a newbie, I make no assumptions about what is and is not available without extra charge (ergo the inquiry), and we're definitely  in agreement that it is nice to get away from noise and congestion (and if it takes $ to do that, so be it).  

Do you have any special areas you would recommend to sit outside after 5 that are relatively quiet (other than a cabin  balcony)?  I realize the answer may depend on which ship one is on.

I should have spent more time exploring all the nooks and crannies on the ship when I was on, to get a better feel for it, but it was so big and we were so busy enjoying ourselves (on the ship and off) that 10 days was not enough to get fully educated!

It’s not just your query.  This comes up constantly.  There is also a constant parade of people squatting in the area even though there is signs to say it’s a private area.  Before I bought a cabana I stayed behind that rope because I respect the signage. There were dudes that invaded the area multiple times a day.  The stewards had to keep kicking them out so this is a huge sore spot for me.  If you are talking on the pinnacle ships I believe there is an area mid ship with some very nice cabana like seating.  Absolutely free. No idea if there is a hot tub because I don’t want to sit in people stew 🤮.

2 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I also do the phone, door handles and the remote and light switches.  Actually I do most of it twice a day.

Now that's a little overkill IMHO, but after reading what you do in the bathroom sink 😬I'm definitely sanitizing that sucker 🤨

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

I don't understand this post 🤔

I understood it to mean he/she brings a container with Tupperware material that has several (I've seen up to 6) little compartments to keep different foods separated , but all in one container that you can put a top on to prevent its spilling in transport to the table (e.g., when using a scooter).

It sounds like a good idea to me!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Now that's a little overkill IMHO, but after reading what you do in the bathroom sink 😬I'm definitely sanitizing that sucker 🤨

There is no need for this post.  This is why I rarely reply to any of your posts. I’m sure any of my clothes are cleaner than anything else in that sink.  I don’t wear my clothes for a month.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

I understood it to mean he/she brings a container with Tupperware material that has several (I've seen up to 6) little compartments to keep different foods separated , but all in one container that you can put a top on to prevent its spilling in transport to the table (e.g., when using a scooter).

It sounds like a good idea to me!

Absolutely, I understood the same thing.  I can’t imagine what was so puzzling about that post.

2 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

Does anyone know if it would be permissible for a passenger to bring her own tray to use while on the trip, so she could carry things more easily in one trip, or is that forbidden (or is it perhaps allowed with an advance medical justification?).  

It's perfectly permissible to bring a tray from home to make it easier in the Lido; I have done it several times. Just be sure to bring it back to the cabin after the meal, and place it inside a closet, out of sight. 
I did once have a staff member in the Lido try to take mine after he helped me. 

Which brings up the problem of getting assistance carrying things in the Lido. When HAL took away trays they promised that those who needed assistance would receive it. I, for one, hold them to that promise. 

When I was using only a cane it was rare that I was offered assistance, but insisted I be helped. Since I 'graduated' to a scooter, and didn't need the assistance nearly as much, it is readily forthcoming. A rollator is easy, since the seat is almost as good as a tray! 
I suspect that it is just easier to spot the need when someone is in a scooter, compared to a cane, especially by those who have never needed to use them. 

• Thanks 1