How can I definitely get reservations & table for 2?

The more I research potential cruises, the more confused I become. For a number of reasons, we prefer dining early and at a table for 2. Is that possible with Traditional Dining? From what I read, a couple is almost always seated with others regardless of what they reserved or requested. 

Is Anytime Dining better for getting a 2-top? Can you make reservations in advance for a specific time and have that honored onboard? Our last 2 cruises (2 different lines), we tried Anytime and they didn't honor either the reservations or table requests. I just don't to end up in the buffet every night. All suggestions  and tips are welcomed! 

Unfortunately, there's no way to guarantee a two-person table or any other request, so "definitely" isn't an option ... however, there are some ways to come pretty close if you choose traditional dining. 

The first is obviously to request a table for two when you book your cruise, or through your travel agent. But in my experience, that's kind of hit or miss.  Like you, we really like to dine alone, so on embarkation day we always make our way to the dining room and check out our table assignment. It's printed on your key card, so once you get access to your cabin and get your cards, you'll see your table number. 

If we're seated at a larger table, we go to the podium at the entrance of the dining room and request a switch. Occasionally we find that we've been seated at a four-person table but we're the only ones assigned to it, which in some ways is even better than a two-person table.  

Again, this isn't a guarantee, but it has always worked for us.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, WNCtourist said:

The more I research potential cruises, the more confused I become. For a number of reasons, we prefer dining early and at a table for 2. Is that possible with Traditional Dining? From what I read, a couple is almost always seated with others regardless of what they reserved or requested. 

Is Anytime Dining better for getting a 2-top? Can you make reservations in advance for a specific time and have that honored onboard? Our last 2 cruises (2 different lines), we tried Anytime and they didn't honor either the reservations or table requests. I just don't to end up in the buffet every night. All suggestions  and tips are welcomed! 

MTD is set up for two tops by default, however there are plenty of two tops in traditional. If you book traditional you can email two weeks before cruise date and request a two top and possibly a location of your choice.  Email rcldining@rccl.com.  Give them your name, reservation number, sail date and cabin number. They will email you back with conformation of receiving your email and usually a dining room and table number

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We request a 2 top for early traditional dining of 530 pm and our request has always been accommodated.   When I book with royal I ask then.

Then when within 2 or 3 weeks of sail date.  I email rcldining address with pertinent info and my request.

Enjoy😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MTD, I have never had a problem getting a two top.  Now you realize many of the two tops are quite close, so, technically you have a table for two, but practically, you are at a table of 4 or 6.  The separation, makes it easy to include or exclude those next to you.  I like the arrangement.  JMHO

JC

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

MTD, I have never had a problem getting a two top.  Now you realize many of the two tops are quite close, so, technically you have a table for two, but practically, you are at a table of 4 or 6.  The separation, makes it easy to include or exclude those next to you.  I like the arrangement.  JMHO

JC

Like this

Point Blur_Oct262022_192839.jpg

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, sowhat said:

Like this

Point Blur_Oct262022_192839.jpg

I like this arrangement as you dont have to wait for the people next to you to get their food before you start eating. But you can chit chat with them until the food arrives.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I've never had a problem getting a table for 2, but we always choose 5:30 traditional.  The e-mail that has been provide is a good source for your request.  They advise that you send your request 2 weeks prior to your cruise, but I would send the request much earlier and then follow-up in the 2 weeks timeframe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

What is with all the introverts?

Join a big table and be social.

It might be a little awkward the first night.

But after that, things livin up.

Now that I’m older and much more outgoing, I agree!  Our next cruise will be with our kids (their first ever cruise).  I hope we have table mates who have kids around the same age.  They’ve always been good at mixing the right families.  My only request will be to be near a window, preferably aft.  We have early dining and I want to be able to admire the beautiful Caribbean sunsets.

2 hours ago, matj2000 said:

We are hardly, that.  However, I don’t want to spend the night with you if you take forever to eat, make up your mind or are just plain irritating.  So, the two tops, where I show up get fed you show up, you are not part of my evening, but I will happily talk to you chat with you and if you are lucky, remember you the next night.  😂

jc

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, matj2000 said:

One cruise, my mother and I were at a table with another mother and daughter.  First night dinner dragged on and on as the mother told us her life story, mainly about death of her husband.  My mother requested a different table the next day, said she wasn't this woman's therapist.  😅

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, moposh said:

One cruise, my mother and I were at a table with another mother and daughter.  First night dinner dragged on and on as the mother told us her life story, mainly about death of her husband.  My mother requested a different table the next day, said she wasn't this woman's therapist.  😅

People need to learn how to change the conversation topics...

14 hours ago, matj2000 said:

For us, we will have our teen daughter and her friend.   So, I'd like a table for just the four of us.  Meals are our time to reconnect.  Also, we might be having teen-girl discussions that you don't want to be apart of.  

I'll save my social time with strangers when I'm sharing my extra Sangria by the pool with the nice person in the chair next to me. 

• Like 2