Semi-Live Getaway 2.0 Jan 16 - Feb 1, 2023 NY - So. Caribbean ... 12 nights ( is it Live, Semi-Live or Limited ?? )

mking8288

9 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Health & Personal well-beings: our personal approach & mitigation measures, none required but endorsed by 2 licensed nurses in my extended family.

We heard more (deep) coughing onboard the Getaway and progressively, seemed to hear more of that as the days go by, especially during the final sea days and perhaps, in "surround sound" mode on the morning of disembarkation as we sat in Taste MDR for a sit-down breakfast.  DW joked, half-seriously, perhaps we should've paid NCL $4.95 + 20% for room service & eat on our balcony instead - and cut our risk of catching anything to bring home as unwanted "gifts".  

We packed some of our really old stock of Covid-19 Ag/Test kits with us, and thus far - I am happy, feeling fine and healthy, and we remained "negative" on rapid testing - not conclusively but fairly "reliable" as indicators.   Self-tested "negative" on Jan 13th before the cruise, as we had holiday gatherings & had been out & about - before we started to semi-isolate to avoid eating out & going to crowded indoor places, as the XBB sub/variants had been surging in the metro NY area since December.  Tested again "negative" just before we embark on Jan 20th, out of an abundance of precaution - being fully boosted (mix of Pfizer & Moderna) & extra "naturally protected" already with prior infections - DW's PCP prefer her to be extra cautious with her healthy history & risk factors, etc. (me, too - to a lesser degree, perhaps) 

We used up about 2 boxes (50 surgical masks x 2) for our cruise, including some KN95's worn in the main theater for BTF and MDQ shows, carried & used our own hand sanitizers whenever appropriate, better to be extra cautious (and, we were the only ones onboard doing it).  

Midway thru the 12 nights cruise, tested again - no symptoms or reasons to suspect of possibly being "exposed" - to be "negative" but plenty of basis while listening & watching others behaving ... and things not being done well onboard as a whole - need to remain cautious & stay on our guards.  Early Wednesday evening, after dinner at home (diet time for us) - rapid tested again to be "negative" ... yay, cheers & reasons to be happy, as we have extended families with recent medical history at high risk, and do not risk to unknowingly "gift" them anything unwarranted.   One more set of post-cruise rapid testing at home should suffice tomorrow (48 to 72 hours apart) to consider ourselves to earned the "all clear" as the newest threat CB.1 or something like that is on the rise.  

The last longer NCL cruise that we sailed was January 2019 on the Escape, and there was an norovirus outbreak onboard, about 1/3 of the way after our 2nd stop out of NY to the W. Caribbean - and that wasn't fun for anyone and everyone, with very strict measures put in place & washy washy enforced.  We saw none of the similar measures and honestly, quite surprised to see a very relaxed ship with inconsistent public health measures in place, including personal hygiene, not just washy washy at the buffet with inadequate crews assigned - worst of it all, MDR and Specialty Dining, no efforts at all & no suggestions or hints by the crew/host/hostess for arriving guests to sanitize and/or wash hands ... I consider those best practices and gold standards in "today's" onboard environment.  Cleaning & sanitizing efforts onboard were default to the quick & simple, unlike when there is a norovirus outbreak on the ship ... and that's just the "stomach flu" with far less danger vs. Covid-19.   Passengers were jamming into elevators, nevermind social distancing in the crowded atrium lobby and packed areas outside Taste & Savor, and the Bar area busy with social drinking while waiting - folks feeling fine & decided to live with the viruses and get on with living, contributing to herd immunity by being exposed ?? and treatment readily available, sure - okay, I'm fine with it.  Otherwise, we wouldn't be doing our 4th cruise since the beginning of 2022 & just stay home.  

If not wearing a mask, at least cover one's mouth & not openly cough & sneeze into the air, releasing airborne droplets that can travel quite a distance to others nearby.  Called me biased and being too cautious - I learned, indirectly, that some reported on social media site (FB) that they themselves tested positive during/after the 12 days cruise ... not a good thing to bring home, especially if flying or sharing public transportation with others.  

Taking a 12 nights cruise on NCL soon, whether it's the Getaway or another ship - my best advice is to be careful and do whatever you - personally - feel is good, proper & appropriate to best protect yourself & other loved ones close to you.  Pack a good personal travel/medical/first aid kit to bring along - description above is just an example of what we did, not a model, not a template, not a guide, not required or suggested, only an illustration of what can to be done to minimize the risks a little more.  Or, simply do nothing and take the chance, play the odds too - it's freestyle cruising, your choice.  There is no guarantee whatsoever that we will absolutely avoid being exposed to XBB and the CB subvariants or other viruses for that matter.  

This isn't to start a discussion and/or debate about testing & measures, so let's stay off & take any further chats about this elsewhere, agree to disagree about ongoing public health measures, etc. etc. Thank you in advance for not side-tracking the overall reporting.  Just sharing what we choose to do - on our own - with resources readily at our own disposal ... retired professionally but still "active" status in the Medical Reserve Corp and FEMA trained as first responder/receiver in ICS protocols as administrator in EM.  

20230203_00551C.jpg

Thanks for this.  We are cruising for our first time post-covid soon and was wondering if anyone was doing any mitigation whatsoever on board.  Sounds like the answer is a resounding 'no'.  That doesn't fill me with confidence, especially since you heard more and more 'deep coughing' as the days went on.  Yikes..even if it isn't covid...still yikes.  Glad to hear you were doing the best you could though!

As for us, we will be doing pretty much what you did...strategically masking, etc...  We figure it can't hurt...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, farmecologist said:

Thanks for this.  We are cruising for our first time post-covid soon and was wondering if anyone was doing any mitigation whatsoever on board.  Sounds like the answer is a resounding 'no'.  That doesn't fill me with confidence, especially since you heard more and more 'deep coughing' as the days went on.  Yikes..even if it isn't covid...still yikes.  Glad to hear you were doing the best you could though!

As for us, we will be doing pretty much what you did...strategically masking, etc...  We figure it can't hurt...

On my Sept. and Dec/Jan cruise I noticed some people had masks on. 95% did not. We didn't, nor do we do anything else to mitigate. If we get COVID, we get COVID again. 

The only exception I might make to this in March is during the in-person muster. And that's a big maybe. 

I'd say, if you do want to mitigate, then you'll need to take it 100% on your own and not expect others to take any sort of precautions. 

• Like 1

Henry...as always, wonderful review.  Thanks for bringing us along.

Quick comment about NCL (and the industry in general).  Clearly, the post shutdown reality for NCL is to slice a little here, a little there, and hope guests either don't notice, or won't care.  But, I've always said, no company survives long by shorting customers on product or service.  I think NCL is inching dangerously close to that line in the sand.

The rest of the cruise lines are doing the same.  Does that make it right?  Nope!   We'll see how they come out the other side of this in a year or so.  Our cruise dollars can be spent anywhere.  And, we're not ignorant of what the cruise lines are trying to do.

Treating your guests like they don't know any better and are stupid is a recipe for disaster.

• Like 10

(continue towards Wrap-Up Summary - from notes, etc.)

Restaurants - MDR, OSH and Specialty Dining & the new paid/fees-charged (Breakfast) Room Services

Showing up, crowds everywhere and waiting in line(s):  Embarkation night - we had booked, pre-cruise, dining for 4 in Tropicana MDR at 5:30 pm, easy enough ... it should.  Showed up a few minutes early and there is only one line for everyone, anyone, with a reservation or just walk-up freestyle ... when asked during the Q&A part of the CC Meet & Greet on Day 2, GM super "Mario" insisted that it should be 2 lines and that ... well, a number of us respectfully disagreed & challenged him, looked to his F&B and Beverage manager to help, enough said.  By the 3rd evening, situations there improved (night 2, we reserved & ate in Cagney's) with 2 host/ess stations, but still unclear which line is for what, no signage and if you dare to walk straight up to the podium to ask, get the deadly look "by a thousand cuts stare" by others waiting ...  Services in the MDR being friendly, at times very helpful with suggestions, other times somewhat average to indifference - quick to get the soup, salad & appetizer(s) out and then, sometimes with a long, long pause for the entrees to show up - and, just warm to sometimes room temperature, worst than the buffet sometimes with the "steam tables" to keep things warm. 

If NYC's Dept of Health inspectors are permitted to be onboard & show up without warning, NCL would definitely fail to pass ... looking closely at their operations & having done the BTS tour of gallery ops below deck, those plastic covers aren't doing much to help retain hot food's temperature & keep them ready to be served quickly.  Probably worsen by the overwhelmed staff having the covered food sitting at the wait "stations" for minutes too long, without putting them on the guest's table.  Hey, what do I know ... 

For breakfast, lunch and dinner in Taste and/or Savor, the 2 smaller MDR - it's pretty much the same, especially on the first few nights, with just one host/ess working the podium/desk, greeting & touch contacting the RFID guest key cards, finding a table & printed out a slip to hand off to another crew to direct the party to their table ... and, of course, answer "quick questions" from others trying to figure out why there is a long line and/or can they just get inside with a preservation. Toward the latter part of this 12 nights cruise, the upfront greeting, hosting & getting everyone seated became smoother, not perfect but at least, moving along without major delays.  MIXX Bar sandwiched between Taste & Savor is always busy until past dinner services, packed with pax getting drinks and there's always someone socializing in small clusters of groups while waiting for a table - making the corridor or hallway area very difficult to transverse or walk thru or go pass & around them.  

It's 5:45 p.m. and seated, ready for a quicker dinner service to be out of there in 75 minutes to rush over to the main theater to join the line for doors to open, catching the 7:30 pm main shows.  Best of luck & our server team tried their best, we skipped dessert & almost ran out of there ... make it, whew.  Otherwise, plan for 90 minutes to 2 hours+ for a full dinner onboard a full ship.   Whereas NCL used to do an early & then late show, it's often just one per night at 7:30 pm and good luck booking it, quick & do it early once onboard - hope for the best.  Hence, on 2 nights, we ended up going to the buffet for fruits, dessert & tea/coffee ... continuation of our unfinished dinner, LOL - watching them promptly shut down & close up shops, pulling the ropes to block latecomers from getting in at 9:30 p.m.   (Hurry, 2 of the MDR are open until 10 p.m. along with Specialties ... OSH is 24/7 or Room Service with a $9.95 charge + 20%)

We dine in Cagney's, Teppanyaki and La Cucina on 3 different nights ... and checking in & getting to an assigned table seemed fine & smooth - still, just one host/ess on duty & when s/he is away showing the guests to their table or doing something else and distracted, no greetings whatsoever & you can just walk in and around (and, slip out with plated dinner and/or dessert to go ... station/kiosk left unattended as free-for-all.  I do not remember these being the case in years past, including 2022 - I stand corrected, of course.  Those salted Edamame beans served in Teppanyaki are no longer given, availability shortage ?? but you're given a spoonful at best last year - not a big loss & deal breaker by itself, the increased pricing is - idiots & fools would spend extra & pay almost "full price" for it, not a good buy for just plain large shrimps instead of jumbo black tiger shrimps.  What kind of beef is being served, look & ask - ours still good & cooked fine at medium.  1/3 bowl's worth of diluted miso soup and 2 forkful of salad, nicely decorated - thankfully, I got an extra 1/2 bowl of fried rice as fillings.  

Consider a reflection of corners being cut and hoping that most guests will not noticed the subtle measures to save a few bucks over time.  We went cruising with tempered expectations and knew/read some of what to look forward to, and just roll with the waves - sometimes laugh things off & try to maintain our sense of humor, not to blow steam at anyone or get mad or upset at the crew & even the junior/senior officers - things way, way beyond their direct control ... at times, trying to appreciate as tiny, tiny NCLH shareholders in this complicated calculus.  

None of the SD restaurants were really filled up full, seeing empty tables with dirty plates & nobody in a rush to clean up & turn it around, setting up for 2nd round or late dining - as it's easily 2 to 2.5 hour for full services in a place like Moderno and Cagney's.  It's quite possible that there just aren't enough crews to rotate & assign to "staff" all the available table ... otherwise, it's quite amusing to watch an uniformed "officer" ranked dressed in a white shirt/blouse to clean & prepare tables, and showing guests to their seats with menus, etc.  Roll up the sleeves and just do it - can you really expect some of them to be cheerful & smiling all the times, I don't and just cannot imagine.  Some no longer do the friendly greeting at 10 steps away when coming toward you and/or barely try with a simple hello or hi - not what they are supposed to do as trained & instructed.  

We did asked at Cagney's on whether the server can wrap and pack our dessert to go, and the polite but firm answer, with a sad look on the waiter's face tell it all, that it is not allowed & against ... Haha, the portions served, from the starter & salad to the sides, and even the once oversized desserts have shrinken - won't likely leave empty but not much remaining to pack & go, unless you had a recent gastric-bypass procedure done or on a 500 calories meal diet.  

As far as food temperature goes, the MDR delivered the worst experience, nearly almost just luke warm or barely above room temperature and the buffet (Garden Cafe) isn't really much better - except, perhaps for the hot soups and carving stations, or catching a freshly grilled hamburger or hotdog and items coming off the skillets.  O'Sheehan's get the honor of getting the server to bring out hot food when it should, and cold food kept cold, as they are expected to do so - Wagner beef burger with cheese, mushrooms, bacon, etc. is almost perfect ... Five Guys Burger's "competition at sea, just avoid & don't waste money and time eating almost the same at the up-charged American Diner.  

La Cucina served up an excellent cut of beef tenderloin at no extra upcharge (yet) unlike Le Bistro (and, Cagney's - I think, off-hand) but it came plain, no sides whatsoever.  The new policy of 1-1-1 just isn't sitting well with us, and we certainly don't wish to upsize one of the pizza choices to make it an entree instead.  BTW, thin & smaller cuts of pizza in the buffet are good, if not really good & edible, quite a surprise & change for the better - thumbs up to the chef responsible.  

Despite being charged for SD, we still cash tipped our servers, as we always do - ditto when we used our Platinum meals - a little cash put directly into their hands, I think, do help to let them know - times might be tough for all, but we aren't "stiffing" them.  

There's a Starbucks logo'ed Cafe on Deck 6 Fwd, next to iCafe Center & atrium lobby, opposite Guest Services - smells nice in the morning as you walk by but never too busy.  Didn't get a chance to test out using my Starbucks App to paid for a cup of Joe, sorry.  

In terms of variety in choice of food, buffet is the place to go, lots of meat if you wanted to stuff yourself full.  It's often full at peak time, go further back as it's easier to find a table next to the window.  The Asian section at lunch served up some pretty decent comfort noodles soup, give it a try. 

Many items, including soups are not as high in sodium or salty as before, including the French Onion Soup, NCL gets an A for doing this, thank you. 

The new Breakfast Room Service menu, for a single $4.95 delivery fee + 20% (and, optional cash tipping) is same as before, adding 3 hot items - didn't use it on this cruise.  Started to see more dirty & finished plates, cups & misc. items left on the carpeted floor outside the staterooms - apparently removed, picked up & gone by the next morning.  

Provisioning the ship isn't easy and apparently true -as noted by Mario, the GM, during those 12 nights - they began to run low or out of things like bananas, fruits & yogurt, regular Pepsi/Coke in cans and even juices ... unreal, but believe it, as in "huh, no whole wheat bread this morning, white bread or something else is fine ?? ... hmmm, oookie doookie.  Ladies & Gentlemen, girls & boys of all ages, this is the new age of "normal" and resuming sailing to 100% capacity for your convenience and sail & sustain - get used to it, like it or not, the harsh reality ... grass isn't greener on the other "side".  

.... to be continued shortly (my VZ Fios tech is finally here 😇 )

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Great cruise January 20 to February 1! Loved the dance opportunities and live music and many other fellow passengers who danced the night away. Sugarcane mojitos bar was the best place for Latin music and dancing. Atrium was also one wonderful spot to dance. Spice H20 was packed with dancing folks too. Marsha and her band were amazing too

097210F4-E2FA-4802-BA00-90950A1C1C60.jpeg

5 hours ago, mking8288 said:

As far as food temperature goes, the MDR delivered the worst experience, nearly almost just luke warm or barely above room temperature and the buffet (Garden Cafe) isn't really much better - except, perhaps for the hot soups and carving stations, or catching a freshly grilled hamburger or hotdog and items coming off the skillets.  

5 hours ago, mking8288 said:

We had similar experience in Oct- food temp at every meal was tepid at best- I was really impressed at how warm- actually hot the meals were in Dec on the Pearl. It was like night & day.  I'm really hoping that our decision to upgrade to the Haven- was a great (ok even good) decision as they have their own restaurant & a limited # of pax to serve. 

Again I really appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience. 

• Like 1

(continue towards Wrap-Up Summary # 3 - from notes, etc.)

VZ Fios line repair completed, 2 fiber line feed in townhouse's (co-op) was cut while we're still away from the cruise, almost certain by Spectrum tech doing their installation as they also needed access thru cellar's limited crawl space - services restored & full connectivity, had to reconfigure the router (factory reset) settings optimized for home automation & security/camera systems in use.  It's all good now. 

Deck 12 - "BA" Balcony (port side 1211X and our friends, 3 doors away 1211X also) 

Nothing out of the ordinary, beds were closer/next to the balcony's sliding door with the sofa-bed next to the closet - the person sleeping next to the balcony has limited space to get out of bed without touching the curtains or balcony's sliding door.  BA/GA & Escape has the smallest balcony among NCL's fleet of ships ... the Joy's a tiny bit larger, not by much either.  It has a night "porch" light, controlled by flipping a switch nearby, just enough room for 2 chairs & a tiny coffee table (12' x 12") 

NCL has yet to upgrade the bedside lamps to add an USB port, perhaps ... never will.  Same reasons that the Dawn and the Gem did not have them added during recent dry docks - costs & labor involved, certifications & maintenance from wear-n-tear.  Having a 10 ft. and 6 ft. USB extension cable, together with a typical OEM 1 meter/3 ft. charging cable allowed us to reach the far end of the bed and out to the balcony - 2 (magnetic) clips to hold the wire along the wall helped against tripping it by accident & out of the narrow passage.  CPAP user(s) are advised to bring one's own 15' UL-listed/approved extension cable without surge protection circuits as they are prohibited & not compatible with maritime electrical grounding system.  

There's plenty of open shelves for storage and as I shown earlier, use of packing cubes (eBags, Eagle Creeks, Ikea, Amazon & similar "systems" allow everyone to keep their clothings & belongings neat, clean, organized & easy to re-pack, etc. and you'll come to appreciate it when traveling light - fold, roll, squeeze & fit, then compress & pack it all together.  Contents of a 22" rollerboard or spinners will use 2 open shelves while some can be put on hangers.  Small, half & quarter-sized packing cubes will fit into the oddly shaped shelves behind/next to/below the TV with the doors - electronics, underwear and misc. items called them "home" for 12 days.  Carry-on size bags will stand vertically (3 to 4 of them) or lie flat (2 - 3) in the non-illuminated small closet, as long as you don't have lots of long dresses & coats, etc.  Use your smart/iPhone's flashlight to check for any small items forgotten before disembarkation. 

All staterooms has a mini safe is just big enough to fit something like an iPad mini, can't even fit an 11" Chromebook (unnecessary, it's PIN protected & secured anyway) - wallets, passports, and small digital cameras, smartphones, Rolex watches, diamonds, pearl necklaces, etc. will fit.  

Housekeeping & Laundry services - being Platinum or higher, we each get a free (downsized) paper bag's worth of wet wash & dry, folded services anytime during the cruise (once only - on 14 days cruise - you get 2, reconfirm that again as "rules" are known to change often) - use one of those hotel laundry bag with a drawstring as a liner/insert, or use one of the pillow cases - it'll help against the ultra paper bag from breaking & you don't need duct or clear package tapes to secure it.  We did a bag under DW's name on Day 6 and a 2nd bag under mine on Day 9, got them back folded in a wicker basket, ready to re-pack clean clothes to bring home - about $200's worth of laundry.  Use it or lose it - a 24" rollerboard and spinner (42 lbs & 46 lbs each) plus a smaller cabin/carry-on bag (heavier electronics, toiletries, essentials & 2 change of clothes, etc.) on wheels were all we needed for cruising the Caribbean in the winter out of NYC.  

Irene, our room steward just started her 2nd contract on NCL, returned from her vacation / leave in December - title changing later this month to an "attendant" with base salary "reductions" but hoping to offset it somehow with additional rooms & duties.  Cheerful & always say hello whenever she see us, prompt & efficient and does a good cleaning job as expected.  We didn't asked for ice bucket, coffee maker, robe (DW's only) & slippers - given our plans on sea days and in ports - not spending a lot of time in the cabins.  No surprises either like unexpected and not suggesting extras like towel animals (still can't figure out how our last one on the Joy managed to do those elaborate ones while being so busy then) - twice a day services with a quicker evening turndown - we skipped it 2 or 3 times flipping the DND light, gave her a little extra time to rest/sleep ... our corridor's stewards are usually done by 9 p.m. nightly.  We cash tipped her appropriately on Day 3 and Day 11 in appreciation of doing her job well, but nothing that we considered going above & beyond - find it difficult to fill out that Vacation Hero Card.  

Unlike other cruises, we didn't see or noticed any extra or special cleaning done in the hallways, corridors & stairs, including wiping down doors & handles with a diluted bleach/disinfecting solution mix.

The repeated appearance & apparent indifference of permitting full-size strollers, rollater/walkers and even motorized scooter to remain & stay in the hallways and side passage on multiple days, IMHO, pose a serious fire & life safety hazards - something that I would not tolerate as (former) administrator of an ambulatory care (Article 28) facility in NYC, subject to standard set by the Joint Commission (JACHO).  Perhaps, they're left only briefly outside to be stored by housekeeping in a designated area or exceptions made, but unlikely when I discovered some of them still "standing" after 10 p.m. - there're also a good # of families with children on our deck, with the Splash Academy (older "kids") just behind the Fwd elevators.  In the morning, the sight of these plus the assorted housekeeping carts, vacuum cleaners, etc. is not something that I consider acceptable - if there's an emergency nearby.   Mario was written to via the "Dear M" mailbox system (not in exchange for a plate of strawberries or a bottle of house wine as I don't drink, LOL) - perhaps the next 2 or 3 sailings can help others with updates if you see something, go ahead and say something again - let them known at the M&G - it's on "CC" already.  

The "Norwegian Way" tagline and Attention to Details

My critical analysis for this cruise, it seemed, suggested that the team & crew members in general, seemed to be somewhat coming up just short of attention to details and sometimes, seemed ignorant of the obvious, i.e. pour coffee at the breakfast table in the dining room but didn't check, look or asked whether milk or creamer are there, sufficient & refills are called for, same for sugar packets & even butter (yes, we learned later in the week - they were low or running out on things, that's poor strategic and just-in-time planning).   Somehow, we just aren't picking up and feeling that good old Norwegian Way feeling anymore - times have surely changed and I cannot believe that we've graduated to being old-timers.  Crew members as a whole just aren't expressing that warm & fuzzy feeling that we used to see all the time, not as friendly and not as outgoing, and saying much less than usual - simply doing their job, no more and at times, doing less.  

In the MDR and Specialty Dining, perhaps we are being too observant, asst. manager(s) barely come around, if at all, to walk the tables & see, ask the guests how things are going, meals eaten & whether there are issues, etc.  - no, no, and not on this cruise.  Another else see it and noticed, perhaps our comments helped refresh your memories from recent cruises - it's that synergy that's somehow deficient and missing here.  Maybe, it's the leadership and team building efforts failing, not necessary a direct result or side from the rounds of cuts and frequent changes taking place.  I don't know but interested in hearing other's thoughts on this.  Another Sapphire members on this cruise also commented mid-cruise, they were all - looking- busy & running all over, except they aren't really doing anything ... and, seen them whispering into each other's ears.  

Almost forgot to mention Shanghai Noodles, when it first launched on the Breakaway in 2013-14, it wasn't that popular but slowly & surely, became known for its comfort food, back then, it had a few more real good items (some had a nominal upcharge, if my memory is correct) - also served nice, hot & freshly prepared in the "Open Kitchen" directly behind the counter with high seating ... fun to watch them cook on the spot & seeing the spotless stainless steel kitchen vent/exhaust system in use.  Old days, you can just walk up & get seated for quick service - nowadays, the lines formed by 11:45 am for lunch on sea days, if not earlier and everyone got seated & by the time meals are done - it's 1 to 1:15 pm - when they are supposed to stay open until 1:30 pm.  Second seating are quickly filled, orders taken & served - everyone is happy with the available & limited choices there.  Recommended - fried dumplings (not steamed), mini spring/egg rolls, spicy seafood noodles with the chau siu (thinly-sliced roast pork) noodles soup a close tie (aside from the heavily soy sauce seasoned "broth") and the Singapore thin rice noodles with a touch of spicy yellow curry ... and the desserts.  Quality is on par and as good as, if not better, than food served on the Gem, Jewel & Dawn class ships with the sit-down Asian restaurants.  

Without paying extra for SD or without Haven or suite access to upscaled dining, O'Sheehan's and Shanghai Noodles are the best option onboard the Getaway.  Give it a try, at least once, you'll most likely sold & go back again.  Oddly enough & it's probably not a coincidence, portion sizes in the MDR on that 2nd/last sea days as we return to NY were larger - as if they we bumped into a 2 of 1 sale and free extras ... nearly everything from the starter/appetizers to the entrees were bigger than usual, quite noticeable as we were accustomed to the newly petite "Cooking Lite" servings.  We joked with the servers, trying hard today to win our hearts and ... 

(to be continued - final "thoughts" later / tomorrow - to wrap it up)

• Like 4

12 hours ago, The P said:

Henry, FAR TOO MUCH SMOKE from the casino to enjoy Shanghai Noodles!  It was doable last March with fewer cruisers.    Sharon

Hi, Sharon ... how was disembarkation for you and getting home 👴 😁 at nearby Hell's Kitchen, stay warm & toasty today, we are "sheltering at home" not going out anywhere today.  Susan missed those 80 degree days down in the Carib's already - yours truly looking at something toward in early Spring, now that we got our email addresses, easier way to stay better in touch. 

We had to walk thru the casino multiple times throughout, the smoke was still annoying with our masks on.  When we ate in SN, we tried to get seated further away and it wasn't too bad.  Oh, don't we missed last year's Getaway & Joy with far fewer passengers, the better days then.  This time, we had far more children & teens than expected but otherwise, generally a much older mix of folks, far more accessible passengers ... perhaps, for some, it's either sail now or not ever again ... with some of the CruiseNext (re)extended expiration dates coming up soon/this year. 

NCL managed to sell out nearly all the ships cruising out of NY this winter, even the current "almost Cruise To Nowhere, Bermuda to Bahamas high sea express "Cannonball Run"  - just looked at the GA's live shipcam, much choppier sea state & waves, more typical for this time of the year in the Atlantic as they move further north out of the Caribbean waters ~ 8 to 10 ft. and cloudy ... as least, they "escaped" the coldest day of this winter (thus far).   

Start packing soon for the Prima next on your cruise radar ... 

Just to let you know, as I just read (click for CC link) someone else on our GA cruise came home "positive" which wasn't a surprise.  Susan & I just wrapped up, our post-cruise 48-72 hours rapid tested negative & mine early this morning also - used up 4 boxes of "free" test kits instead of letting it sit, expired & wasted.  Haven't been out except for her pre-scheduled routine mamo/ultrasound exams, 99% conclusive that we didn't catch or bring home anything from this cruise - that we can terminate our self-imposed "isolation" & see friends & relatives with much higher health risk factors than us tomorrow and next week.  Woohoo !!! 

P.S.  @RadioPeri - hi, we didn't get much chance to chat & mingle at the Meet & Greet but the turnout was pretty good as I expected, just that nothing else was planned.  

Edited by mking8288

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

Hi, Sharon ... how was disembarkation for you and getting home 👴 😁 at nearby Hell's Kitchen, stay warm & toasty today, we are "sheltering at home" not going out anywhere today.  Susan missed those 80 degree days down in the Carib's already - yours truly looking at something toward in early Spring, now that we got our email addresses, easier way to stay better in touch. 

We had to walk thru the casino multiple times throughout, the smoke was still annoying with our masks on.  When we ate in SN, we tried to get seated further away and it wasn't too bad.  Oh, don't we missed last year's Getaway & Joy with far fewer passengers, the better days then.  This time, we had far more children & teens than expected but otherwise, generally a much older mix of folks, far more accessible passengers ... perhaps, for some, it's either sail now or not ever again ... with some of the CruiseNext (re)extended expiration dates coming up soon/this year. 

NCL managed to sell out nearly all the ships cruising out of NY this winter, even the current "almost Cruise To Nowhere, Bermuda to Bahamas high sea express "Cannonball Run"  - just looked at the GA's live shipcam, much choppier sea state & waves, more typical for this time of the year in the Atlantic as they move further north out of the Caribbean waters ~ 8 to 10 ft. and cloudy ... as least, they "escaped" the coldest day of this winter (thus far).   

Start packing soon for the Prima next on your cruise radar ... 

Just to let you know, as I just read (click for CC link) someone else on our GA cruise came home "positive" which wasn't a surprise.  Susan & I just wrapped up, our post-cruise 48-72 hours rapid tested negative & mine early this morning also - used up 4 boxes of "free" test kits instead of letting it sit, expired & wasted.  Haven't been out except for her pre-scheduled routine mamo/ultrasound exams, 99% conclusive that we didn't catch or bring home anything from this cruise - that we can terminate our self-imposed "isolation" & see friends & relatives with much higher health risk factors than us tomorrow and next week.  Woohoo !!! 

P.S.  @RadioPeri - hi, we didn't get much chance to chat & mingle at the Meet & Greet but the turnout was pretty good as I expected, just that nothing else was planned.  

Hi thank  you for an amazing journey it gets me excited for my upcoming Getaway cruise. Btw you mentioned in an earlier post that you tested positive for two weeks following one of your cruises. As a healthcare professional I am tested  twice a week. If we self test positive with no symptoms we stay out of work 5 days and if symptomatic 10 days.  We do not self test for one month as we get false positives and can’t get lab testing for 3 months so isolating until your self test is negative is not  necessary it’s more important to isolate if you have symptoms and not keep testing. Also on my first cruise since Covid DH got Covid. I kept testing  negative w weird cold sxs until I did a ‘deep dive’ into my nose and then tested positive 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A heads up for all who were on the Getaway from Feb. 20-March 1......I just tested positive for Covid. I was negative yesterday but am coughing and sounding nasally today so I self tested. It's like a cold; I can smell and taste. The irony for me is I live a few blocks from Times Square but had to go on a cruise ship to get Covid. I've had all my shots and consider myself lucky to have gotten it 3 years in.  

(continue towards Wrap-Up Summary # 4 - from notes, etc.)

A good Saturday morning for those still following on a chilly cold morning, post-cruise dieting continue ... 

Getaway as a ship / destination / use of space

For winter 2022-23 that rather not go south as snowbirds or fly, NCL has 2 ships sailing out of NY - the mid-sized GEM (which we like & prefer) and the newer, mega-sized GETAWAY - more bells & whistles, although honestly, some of the extras aren't important to us, i.e. water slides, rope course & spa services.  It came down to itinerary options and pricing, with better last minute deals for the GEM ... which we probably will sail again - with a better "walkability" index.  Post final payment deadline dates, there're changes to port times or schedule, and the uncertainty with Puerto Plata - Amber Cove, DC stop ... not much we can do but roll with the punches, cruise with the flow and tailored expectations - perhaps, a day at Nassau or GSC instead of an extra days.  Never happy with the 4 pm to 10 pm brief stopover at San Juan, PR ... but hey, the GEM got a 7 hour visit to Nassau with a 9 pm arrival instead of a winter visit to Dockyard, Bermuda - what can we do about it, nada - just pound sand & beat the drums, have another drink (ice coffee, for me) & toast to 12 nights of doing absolutely nothing around the house, nearly everything done & taking care of. 

That's the spirit of it all, as much as being critical and pointing out some of the "minor" things the average / new cruisers would not noticed, and/or perhaps not felt bothered & annoyed with.  That's being a "critic" here - cheers when things are done right and boo when one feel & see things not going along well.  Along the way, if the report & review helps a few here - mission accomplished & happy to be a part.  

Our 2nd time on the Getaway (within a year) and like others, including Sharon "The P" - we clearly noticed the changes and the big differences, not just in occupancies but the passenger's mindset and behaving onboard, lot more pushing and jamming (not music) into elevators, although we did see others using the stairs, especially walking down the stairs when it isn't difficult.  

From Day 1, Embarkation to Day 13, Disembarkation morning, lines were just about everywhere ... except the "public bathrooms" and hand wash sinks just outside the buffet (Garden Cafe) as practically nobody was doing their share of washy washy, not even using hand sanitizers - nor were the staff asking or suggesting.  Menus were reused immediately, tables were quickly wiped & we felt lucky that there was NOT an outbreak of norovirus on the ship ("this" used to be a big topic here CC as passengers were quarantined & kept in isolation ... remember those days)  One (1) washy washy crew member, maybe 2 at most, "guarding multiple (4 to 5) entrances into the buffet & food stations - folks walking around, eating & licking, as they hop around to fill more food on their plates, yike 😳 😠 ☹️   Those were done for suspected/confirmed noro outbreak ... what a difference, and, these days

After 9:30 pm - once they shut down the buffet & begin cleaning the cafe, there's one water station (just outside toward the pool area) left open, unattended mostly by a crew, with empty cups around for a while, until it's picked up somehow.  NCL could, should, can at least leave some "bins" around & mark them for DIY "collection" once pax were done filling their bottles & mugs, etc. & don't mind properly disposing them - nope.  NCL has YET to install dedicated water bottle refilling stations, so platic cups & mugs remain necessary, if one followed the info-graphics nearby on how to.  It is most often ignored and not enforced, even if & when crew member(s) are around or nearby - most simply pretended not seeing anything and did not say anything, let alone offer to help or show the passenger(s) how to.  Going above & beyond, not here - sorry but ... I stand corrected, otherwise & if they are reading this, better coaching the crew would be nice & appropriate - despite the cutback.  It's health & safety.  

Aside from using Spice H20 for evening & late night events, gathering & parties, the pool deck area is pretty much empty of chair hogs (and, they're out in full force by the morning of Day 3 as we've reached much warmer weather by the afternoon of Day 2) - claiming their prime spots, well prepared with all sorts of tags, clips & personalized towels & pool items.  Good thing is that, the adult pool area didn't look too crowded at times ... unlike the hot tubs, always a small gathering sitting & sharing, often well past dinner time into 9 p.m. plus (closed after 10 p.m. for daily cleaning)  Haha, ain't no way that we would get into them, unless we are the first in the morning at 6:30 or 7 a.m.  Yes, the pools are heated.  During the day, a bonus tip - Spice H20 is a better place to soak in the sun, loungers & chairs, and 2 hot tubs and bar services available, directly above the buffet area (1 deck below)  Otherwise, don't expect much use of the pool on Deck 15, as the chairs/loungers were all stacked up high & basically closed by 7 to 8 p.m. for the evening, most folks gone to (stand in lines) dinner or to catch a show, etc. - nothing much going on, check the most "current" Freestyle Dailies to see where & what.  

Atrium - that's the premium gathering space for just about 1/3 of the onboard events - far, far too crowded and inadequate space, let alone seating for the gathering crowd ... and there's a small group that stalked & claimed the best seats there, from dawn to dust, especially on sea days.  Area just in front of Starbucks aren't always filled - if you are willing & able to stand and watch game shows, demonstrations, presentations or just listen to the singing duo, etc.  Or, try one deck above, upstairs on the opposite side of O'Sheehan's with fewer foot traffic thru the area, except when there's something go on in the Trop Theater.  Watch from "high" above where you are less likely to catch anything airborne but I still suggest putting a mask on, your choice.  

Spiel Tent, now renamed "Illusionarium" no longer used for dinner (paid/extra upcharge) show(s) were used sometimes, but appeared under-utilized and could help "divert" some of the better attended events in the atrium.  My understanding is that some of the comedies & shows are restricted, by virture of the contracted performance & copyright reasons, cannot be moved to a bigger venue, despite the popularity - "sold-out" for the lucky ones that managed to get tickets or reservations and have VIP (Haven) access, perhaps and otherwise, unavailable to the rest onboard, not a good way to fool some of us.  

CruiseNext/Shorex - with the last minute changes and the latest DoubleUp promotion valid for any stateroom booking, go there early during open hours or expect to stand on lines for a while.  That's where we signed up on Day 1 for Dine With Officers (Sapphire & up only) and wine tasting, as BTS (Behind The Scene) Tours haven't resume (soon, they said) yet and spaces filled up quickly - collect the new Latitudes pin (NCL ship pins disconnected, for those that haven't sail NCL in a while) while giving them a chance for their marketing & sales pitch.  We did NOT attend the "Welcome Back" Latitudes reception organized mainly by the CN team - do not think we "missed" out on anything, no prize drawings & no giveways, just 1 or 2 rounds of basic alcoholic drinks - if new, feel free to attend & join.  

Onboard satellite WiFi & related - sailing soon on the Getaway, consider lucky as Starlink is just around the corner, next on NCLH's fleetwide adoption & deployment of superior satellite services - see this CC NCL thread - click - for additional details & discussions, etc.   Just hope that prices & bundled, package prices will hold instead of going up ... fingers crossed.   NCL will catch up to the other 2 major mass lines in bringing better broadband access ... still dependent on overhead orbiting coverage, it is NOT going to be better or fast like cable or fiber optics at home or at the office/workplace (microwave beamed, (multi)point to point).

For the Getaway, as is - using mid to high-end hardware on our end, can and do, make a difference, often, a big one to be noticed vs. using a 3 or 5 years old iPhone 8 or smartphone running Android 9 or 10.  As I've documented in earlier posts here, Google Pixel 7 Pro (considered 1 of the top 3 best) beat the Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus @6 to 7 Mbps vs 2 to 3 Mbps download and 3 Mbps vs 1 Mbps or less on uploads - difference of being able to do a HD 720 zoom/FT video call vs. a low resolution video or voice call ... discussions about video streaming or extended Zoom session excluded here, on purpose.  Take a look at your own "gears" coming along for the cruise, if you can connect to a tri-band WiFi router or connect regularly to WiFi 5 and/or WiFi 6, or 802.11 ac or 802.11 ax dx VPN - ditto if you are using an iPhone and/or iPad/Air/mini ... are they all recently updated, running the latest & newest OS and all the security/patches & apps flashed/installed - to squeeze every last bits out of the dynamically cached & shared network onboard, easily among 2,000 to 3,000 end users over a narrow patch and bandwidth.  Pleasantly surprised, unlike last year's Joy cruises - where the network barely delivered actual speed beyond 2 to 2.5 Mbps download speed, off-peak and struggled with 1 Mbps uploading.  

I can confirm, both with iOS and Android OS, device-specific (hardware & settings, as configured properly) you can "receive" free, at no extra charge from either NCL or your own cellular/ISP provider, in-bound message headers, including some, not all - non.graphics based or simple text / SMS messages, including chats sent via FB's Messenger, WeChat & even Google Voice/Chat - without being "blocked"  - all these, while only connected to ship's WiFi inTRAnet only, that's the "free" side of the Getaway's "network" that you can use for the duration of the cruise, while in "Airplane Mode" & WiFi connected, cellular/roaming OFF, typically used for checking Onboard Account charges, booking dining & shows, access deck plans, etc.  Some have luck & success also in sending messages without being logged in & using those "access" minutes.  On a timed plan (by the minutes or MB data used) - remember to logout after each use and login again the next time, or else ... your 125/250 or 300/600 minutes will be gone even before Day 2 - iCafe manager can, at her/his discretion ... partially restore some of the "wasted" minutes as a one-time only courtesy if you speak to them nicely & ask for a review to help, be thankful if they do it.  

When using the special iCafe/login.com and logout.com to reach digitalseas.io URL to connect to the "paid" side of the WiFi network, you then connect to the inTERnet - either on a timed/metered minutes or MB data plan or one of the unlimited plan option / package bundled - which unblock & open up full access, to read the "entire" message & not just the headers, including CruiseCritic.  It worked best when trying to chat or message from iOS to iOS devices, and Android to Android, and not across mixed platforms (or iOS to/from Android).  Otherwise, using the free inTRAnet only, you can read but typically cannot post or log into your CC account, etc.  This is an known loophole, open secret and NCL can choose to block & shut it down, upon their I.T. Dept figuring out how to tweak other settings - enjoy & use it while you can, just don't expect this free gift to last forever.  

While on my Pixel 7 Pro, not turning off the built-in VPN functions didn't affect the ability to connect to various online sites as it's default enabled by design, running "pure" Android 13 without carrier or OEM bloatware.  

Once we were within solid signal & range of land-based cellular towers, (that's "roaming" and/or global/international travel for most of you, not all & not to us) we switched back & adjust settings for an optimal cellular signal, meaning much faster & reliable speed and connectivity, at little to no extra costs to us, already covered by our existing Google Fi MNVO carrier's plan.  Two calls at 20 cents each/per minute + tax, and about $25 in extra 5G/4G data on DW's plan & taxes, that's our net extra add-on cost over that 13 days period - about twice of what we typically spent cruising non-domestic ports, mostly for data usage with multiple devices running.  It's far, far less than the extras for trying to use it onboard.   Both San Juan, PR and St. Thomas, USVI are considered by carriers as home use while others do not, including most MNVO or prepaid carriers - very good to excellent 5G or 4G LTE cellular coverage almost everywhere.  The other Caribbean islands that we visited on this cruise, all have good to very good coverage, mostly 4G and LTE coverage even higher up on the hilltops & mountains and in semi-remote areas, where 5G isn't really necessary with its population size - widespread use of solar and wind for energy helping to sustain, maintain and grow their local infrastructure *****.  Islands coverage are considered & recognized as being in "Jamaica" and roaming/partner services are mostly from DigiCel (for T-Mobile) and also by Flow (not a partner for our "Fi" services, however).  

Adding extra onboard satellite WiFi - 100 MB/minutes to one's account to continue access are expensive, $75 for 100 and $125 for 150 minutes - did not see 30 and/or 60 minutes, once sold by NCL onboard on the last 1 to 2 sea days as disembarkation specials.  

A word of caution for those using one's iPhone and/or smartphone to keep track of "local" time (and "ship time") when going ashore, be advised that due to varying device settings as configured, always double check & reconfirm whether your "time" is correct and set to match's time, especially those "All Abroad" time - ship can, will and has sailed & leave passengers behind to be enrolled into the not so honorable "Pier Runner's Club" to get back home or catch up, at their own expenses, with the ship at subsequent port of call.  

Confused & don't understand what I'm trying to explain in simple, layman's language - you aren't alone, it's okay.  Will update and add an extra summary about WiFi access on NCL ships, using and tricks for "better" WiFi access onboard, knowing that they next cruise is ready to go in 2 days.  

IMG_0273.JPG

BTW, just for fun, pulled out an old pix of Alvin, CD - taken on the Breakaway, either 7 or 8 years ago ... a slimmer & younger Asst CD then & lead one of the BTS tour.  Last time on the Escape, he was doing the cruise ship operations & about the solo cabin of a typical CD, his, on overhead HDTV slide shows.    Somebody on the next cruise might want to show him this, LOL

*****   For many of the less developed Caribbean islands, overseas investments by the mainland Chinese government & industries apparently making a huge difference, financing and supporting the construction of hotels & resorts, new roads, energy and other technology transfers - whereas the Taiwan/Chinese government has also been a partner for some of them for as much as 40 years.  Two of our independent drivers/guide explained, as they are boosting the government's revenue sources, creating jobs (even if it's indirectly, as the labor pool often are flown in from the other side) - it's a win-win to many, questions remained to the local people are ... what do they want to get out of it, no such thing as a free deal for these costly & long-term investments.  Nobody has a good answer & are left chatting, chalk it up to more urban legends and water cooler talks.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, The P said:

A heads up for all who were on the Getaway from Feb. 20-March 1......I just tested positive for Covid. I was negative yesterday but am coughing and sounding nasally today ... like a cold; I can smell and taste ... 

Oh dear, Sharon - load up on Vitamins C, fluid & rest, virtual chat with your PCP if necessary.  Otherwise, a bit of OTC cold/flu meds might help ... what do I know, LOL.  Susan tested last night & I waited this morning, fingers crossed that we stay negative without being gifted.   You'll be fine & should feel better in a day or two (usually) and on your feet in almost no time, get groceries & food delivered, etc. 

Our mindset was / is that we will catch it again, XBB is highly easy to be exposed & infecting others, repeatedly - but, on the brighter side, help prop up our natural immunity - as long as we stay out of "long Covid"    Please take care & get well soon, the Prima awaiting you.  

BTW, you meant to say "Getaway from January 20 - Feb 1, not Feb 20-March 1 ... unless you discovered the secrets to time travel, beam us there too.  

• Haha 1

Bonus info: a few words/tips about/for solo cruisers, inviting another "guest" to dine & share vouchers re: those with Platinum dining vouchers and also Specialty Dining:

(not necessary consistent and/or follow the written "rules" about sharing & using these vouchers onboard the Getaway on our sailing - keep in mind that currently, Metin is the F&B Manager (was GM before Mario returned from vacation & assumed duties as GM) that he would be the person to go, if necessary - if the Restaurant Manager cannot or allow for exceptions)   These tips were provided by my old friend & former colleague, sailing solo in an OV cabin and had multiple vouchers/coupons to dine - he was eating almost nightly in Specialty 😁 😁 😆 😆   Some of it were conveyed by the excellent solo coordinator, who helped solo cruisers coordinate & put dinner plans together, inviting each other to join and getting available time slots on different days, etc. 

Nevermind the newest published rules that Platinum (and higher) solo cruisers with 2 Platinum meals are not supposed to share or invite another guest for dinner with that voucher.  They were permitted during those 12 day - my friend did it.  Just go ahead & book it onboard on Day 1, use the NCL App as that seemed to be the easiest and without standing in line - the Reservation Desk is right next to Guest Services, but not always staffed - calls would sometimes ring but nobody answered or on hold, waiting & waiting.  

The other situation we came across ourselves: had (2) extra SD vouchers or credits to use plus the 2nd Platinum/Sapphire voucher for 2 (minus the bottle of wine, already "used" or taken).  We're able to use it together one evening - dining for 4 in La Cucina as our CAS friends had used up their vouchers.  Not a problem, didn't even have to ask - hostess checking us in "credited" 4 of us dining together as complimentary, using vouchers and simply said, all are subject to the 1-1-1 rules plus dessert & coffee/tea.  No questions & simply enjoy dinner ... SD has 20% added automatically whereas the Latitudes Platinum voucher is complimentary - and for our part , always do a cash tip for the server team for good services, adjusting as needed. 

Enjoy these insider's tips if sailing on the Getaway next week or later this month - these "tricks" and permitted exceptions might not be valid or allowed on other NCL ships, as always YMMV.  

• Like 1

We enjoyed our cruise. Now home with covid19! If I recover again it was wonderful! 3 times for covid19 and I’m 5 shots into vaccinated including January 2023 latest 5 th booster. Met folks who had a spouse quarantine onboard but not them, a little odd!

Anyway feeling a little sick last 2 days onboard and getting tested Thursday after getting home from cruise with positive results! Wife tested negative on Thursday. Quite a few folks onboard wearing masks 😷. So who knows what the answer is?

But original covid19 was in May following a RCL cruise and long covid19 for me but wife is fine……in Boston on long covid19 program been there 3 times inhaler nasal spray etc.

. As they say it’s the cost of doing business now!

13 minutes ago, cementhands said:

We enjoyed our cruise. Now home with covid19! If I recover again it was wonderful! 3 times for covid19 and I’m 5 shots into vaccinated including January 2023 latest 5 th booster. Met folks who had a spouse quarantine onboard but not them, a little odd!

Anyway feeling a little sick last 2 days onboard and getting tested Thursday after getting home from cruise with positive results! Wife tested negative on Thursday. Quite a few folks onboard wearing masks 😷. So who knows what the answer is?

But original covid19 was in May following a RCL cruise and long covid19 for me but wife is fine……in Boston on long covid19 program been there 3 times inhaler nasal spray etc.

. As they say it’s the cost of doing business now!

Glad you had a great time. Wishing you a speedy recovery. You have a terrific attitude.

I am currently on the Getaway and am hearing more and more coughing. Due to cancellation of Bermuda, we have all been on the ship for the past four days, mostly indoors. 

As they say…it’s the cost of doing business now. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Bonus info: a few words/tips about/for solo cruisers, inviting another "guest" to dine & share vouchers re: those with Platinum dining vouchers and also Specialty Dining:

(not necessary consistent and/or follow the written "rules" about sharing & using these vouchers onboard the Getaway on our sailing - keep in mind that currently, Metin is the F&B Manager (was GM before Mario returned from vacation & assumed duties as GM) that he would be the person to go, if necessary - if the Restaurant Manager cannot or allow for exceptions)   These tips were provided by my old friend & former colleague, sailing solo in an OV cabin and had multiple vouchers/coupons to dine - he was eating almost nightly in Specialty 😁 😁 😆 😆   Some of it were conveyed by the excellent solo coordinator, who helped solo cruisers coordinate & put dinner plans together, inviting each other to join and getting available time slots on different days, etc. 

Nevermind the newest published rules that Platinum (and higher) solo cruisers with 2 Platinum meals are not supposed to share or invite another guest for dinner with that voucher.  They were permitted during those 12 day - my friend did it.  Just go ahead & book it onboard on Day 1, use the NCL App as that seemed to be the easiest and without standing in line - the Reservation Desk is right next to Guest Services, but not always staffed - calls would sometimes ring but nobody answered or on hold, waiting & waiting.  

The other situation we came across ourselves: had (2) extra SD vouchers or credits to use plus the 2nd Platinum/Sapphire voucher for 2 (minus the bottle of wine, already "used" or taken).  We're able to use it together one evening - dining for 4 in La Cucina as our CAS friends had used up their vouchers.  Not a problem, didn't even have to ask - hostess checking us in "credited" 4 of us dining together as complimentary, using vouchers and simply said, all are subject to the 1-1-1 rules plus dessert & coffee/tea.  No questions & simply enjoy dinner ... SD has 20% added automatically whereas the Latitudes Platinum voucher is complimentary - and for our part , always do a cash tip for the server team for good services, adjusting as needed. 

Enjoy these insider's tips if sailing on the Getaway next week or later this month - these "tricks" and permitted exceptions might not be valid or allowed on other NCL ships, as always YMMV.  

Yes, I was able to share my Sapphire voucher with another guest staying in a different stateroom. We dined at Ocean Blu and Cagney’s. My guest took the bottle of wine back to her room as I do not drink. 

Thank you again, @mking8288, for your helpful, informative and entertaining posts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/3/2023 at 10:25 PM, The P said:

Henry, FAR TOO MUCH SMOKE from the casino to enjoy Shanghai Noodles!  It was doable last March with fewer cruisers.    Sharon

Wanted to try Shanghai noodles but it was always mobbed on the Jan 20th Getaway cruise. Reminded me of a similar layout experience having lunch in Hong Kong at a working man's Chinese restaurant. Entertaining in Hong Kong not remotely on board ship. Looked like  feeding in the KC cattle yards.

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

Wanted to try Shanghai noodles but it was always mobbed on the Jan 20th Getaway cruise. Reminded me of a similar layout experience having lunch in Hong Kong at a working man's Chinese restaurant. Entertaining in Hong Kong not remotely on board ship. Looked like  feeding in the KC cattle yards.

Just today I considered having lunch at Shanghai Noodles. The queue ended midway through the casino by 11:40.

• Haha 1

Thank you for taking time out of your vacation to do this review. I always enjoy how your reviews are so full of information, and I LOVE reviews with lots of pictures.

I would love to do a cruise out of New York as it would be an easy flight from our closest airport of Toronto, but I’m nervous to cruise on the Getaway again. We were on her in 2015 and I had motion sickness a couple of days going from Miami to the Eastern Caribbean. We have since been on Escape twice, Bliss, Breakaway and Epic and I had no sea sickness.

In your experience, do you feel the Getaway rocks any more than other NCL ships?

Thank you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sun, sand, cocktail said:

... love to do a cruise out of New York as it would be an easy flight from our closest airport of Toronto, but I’m nervous to cruise on the Getaway again. We were on her in 2015 and I had motion sickness a couple of days going from Miami to the Eastern Caribbean. We have since been on Escape twice, Bliss, Breakaway and Epic and I had no sea sickness ... do you feel the Getaway rocks any more than other NCL ships?

Happy to get feedback knowing the little efforts put in are useful.  Just give it a thumbs up or like will be more than adequate.  

If driving is out of the question (I did all 10 hours worth of driving myself - with stops - from NY to Scarborough, ONT last June (again) while this old guy can still stay alert & drive with early retirement - fly down & back if you can and sail out of NY  

Honestly, GA isn't more rocky than the BA, Escape, Joy or other ships - the bad boys are the "mid-sized" Dawn, Gem, Jewel, and especially the smaller Crown - no longer in the fleet (twice, going out to/back from Bermuda) - it's the cruise itinerary, season & weather, and mother nature - plus, the skills of the ship captain & his team on the bridge.  

We got tossed around, really bad, last May on the Joy (guess where - Bermuda, again ... 30 to 40 ft. huge/large waves, sea swell & rough sea state with strong gale)  Last year on the GA was fine, except for minor motion, 10 to 15' waves for just a few hours and last month, practically picture perfect with mostly 4.9 ft. waves, exception of 8 to 9 ft. for a few hours in the Gulf Stream.  We remained brave sailing in the winter and during hurricane season - pack motion sickness Rx for DW since my sea legs are usually well conditioned ... grew up on a sampan & had fun on a small sailboat on the lakes of central NY.  

Old advice remained true, book a midship location & on the lower decks if you are worried - hence, no Fwd or Aft penthouses or Haven on the upper decks for us, LOL   Actually, it's the rationale for saving money to do more travel & cruises, not dealing with motion sickness ... we had 4 quite memorable near-hurricane and Nor-Easter cruises to remember in our cruise "journal"

If it looks good, book it.  We are almost ready to go on the mid-sized NCL ship again, much sooner than we had planned - deal is too good to pass up. 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

A quick "crash" course on using NCL's onboard satellite WiFi inTERnet (costs involved) and the free WiFi inTRAnet (limited functions) that's available throughout the duration of the cruise, while connected to the ship's "network"

The key is to turn off the iPhone/smartphone's cellular "radio" and put it into  "Airplane Mode" - then, turn back on WiFi - to avoid accidental "roaming" charges from your "home" cellular provider.  

Once you are inside MCT/Pier 88, you should find the free WiFi network that you can use (SSiD is "MCT") as pictured below - as cellular coverage is poor to spotty inside the terminal building - in case you need to make or receive calls, text message or retrieve your eDocs, etc. ... or, simply to stay in touch with friends on CruiseCritic, haha.

The free "NCL App" is one of the gateway to access your internet package, if any, if included as part of your Free At Seas promotion (that "free" 125 or 150 minutes, 100 minutes, 300 minutes, etc.)  - find & click the "Internet" tab and it will guide you.  

Then, unless you are on or upgrading to the unlimited plan, remember to always do the logout command, after you figured out how to do the login.com command - open your device's browser (we used "Chrome") and reach the URL -  digitalseas.io 

To save $30 in daily charges for internet access for Day 1, we usually (I recommend) upgrading to the unlimited basic WiFi at 12:01 a.m. as it is then considered Day 2.  

If you run low on your "timed" plan toward the end of the cruise, 100 minutes will cost you $75.00 and 250 minutes at $125.00

You can share the plan with others & register as many devices as you wanted to, but connect only 1 at a time.  You can switch to another account also.  

iCafe (Internet Cafe) on the ship has a little guide on how to, pick one up if you need to (I posted it earlier in this Report) - and if you are in "trouble" go find & speak to the iCafe manager during posted office hours, s/he is usually helpful.  Enjoy & stay connected.  

Collage_2023-02-05_18_35_18.jpg

Collage_2023-02-05_18_32_23.jpg

Collage_2023-02-05_18_37_11.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Thanks 2