Donuts

darinscruising

On 1/20/2023 at 8:10 AM, DCThunder said:

This might be heresy, but in general, I have not been impressed with Princess' sweet pastries, whether in the IC or the Pastry Shop in the World Market.  The donuts certainly aren't fresh Krispy Kreme quality, the croissants are too dry and not particularly flaky, and things that look good, don't match in taste.

I do like the chocolate chip cookies in the Pastry Shop, though.😉

Yeah, they are more like cake than the fried in fat ones from Krispy Kreme.  I still like them (like them both!).  

On 1/19/2023 at 5:38 PM, darinscruising said:

I was on the enchanted for 14 days in Nov,  only seen them once.

what? We were on the Enchanted in November for 10 days, and IC had them EVERY DAY. For breakfast. 

We got 2 for our kid every day.

Now, the variety wasn't like on the pre-pandemic Regal - we miss Nutella filled donuts very much. But they had chocolate glazed, vanilla glazed, lemon glazed and rainbow sprinkles (strawberry flavored, so the kid didn't like the rainbow ones).

On 1/20/2023 at 5:16 PM, EDVM96 said:

I bet they were sugar free. Many of the cakes at the IC had a `sugar free` notice on the Regal lately.

no, they weren't.... They were just regular donuts. Not Krispy Kreme quality, but the kid liked them.

Definitely not like on pre-pandemic Regal. MMMMMMMmmmmmmmm.... 

2 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

what? We were on the Enchanted in November for 10 days, and IC had them EVERY DAY. For breakfast. 

We got 2 for our kid every day.

Now, the variety wasn't like on the pre-pandemic Regal - we miss Nutella filled donuts very much. But they had chocolate glazed, vanilla glazed, lemon glazed and rainbow sprinkles (strawberry flavored, so the kid didn't like the rainbow ones).

They had them every day in Dec/Jan on the Enchanted arriving at 5:30 AM in the IC. Since they weren't a good as in the past you could still find them in the display case later in the mornings.

On 1/21/2023 at 7:14 AM, Tigerfan85 said:

Plenty of fresh fruit on the buffet.  The fresh cantaloupe was delicious every day.

Donald Duck GIFs | Tenor

Them's fightin' words on this thread.

Edited by c-boy
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, MissP22 said:

They had them every day in Dec/Jan on the Enchanted arriving at 5:30 AM in the IC. Since they weren't a good as in the past you could still find them in the display case later in the mornings.

I have never been at the IC (or anywhere else on the ship except in my bed!!) at 5:30 am.  I’m in my cabin by 3:00 am and usually do not venture out until after 9:00 am.  I’m on vacation!!!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

I have never been at the IC (or anywhere else on the ship except in my bed!!) at 5:30 am.  I’m in my cabin by 3:00 am and usually do not venture out until after 9:00 am.  I’m on vacation!!!  

You've got to get up early to grab those deck chairs around the pool. 😄

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

As Carole King sang:

You've got to get up every morning with a smile on your face
And show the world all the love in your heart
Then people gonna treat you better
You're gonna find, yes you will
That you're beautiful as you feel

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

neither are we. I am lucky if we get out by 9 on a sea day... even on a port day. But the donuts were still in IC when I got there every morning.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Actually, there was no issue with pool chair hogs on my last Princess cruise (Crown, 01/06 - 16/2023).   Lots of loungers available all day long on pool deck and the deck overlooking to pool.  (Not enough regular chairs, as opposed to loungers, but that is a different story.)  The only times I observed that chairs were not readily available was during some sporting events on the big screen -- lots of futball being shown.  

9 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

neither are we. I am lucky if we get out by 9 on a sea day... even on a port day. But the donuts were still in IC when I got there every morning.

When I finally get out of the cabin, I head straight to the Lido Deck for the buffet.  I never head down to the IC, because I never knew of the donuts (and I don't drink coffee).  I'd rather have eggs anyway.  Although next Princess cruise, I will head to the buffet for breakfast and then down to the IC to grab a couple of donuts for later in the day!

• Like 1

On 1/20/2023 at 3:14 PM, Mike45LC said:

No, I don't go to the International Cafe in the morning hours -- I eat in the buffet.

I was about to ask what "IC" stood for until I got to your post.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

When I finally get out of the cabin, I head straight to the Lido Deck for the buffet.  I never head down to the IC, because I never knew of the donuts (and I don't drink coffee).  I'd rather have eggs anyway.  Although next Princess cruise, I will head to the buffet for breakfast and then down to the IC to grab a couple of donuts for later in the day!

speaking of eggs - on our latest Enchanted cruise, IC had these amazing tiny egg muffins... OMG. So good. Three different kinds - I want to say spinach and feta, broccoli and mushrooms, and ham and cheese?  I would stop by, got a couple of donuts for DS and several egg muffins for me and then I'd head over to the buffet to meet up with my boys. So, IC has some delicious healthy stuff as well. I don't remember seeing the muffins on Regal in 2019, but it's been so long...

I usually don't drink free coffee on cruises because I like it a certain way and I cannot get it right, and I don't buy fancy coffee on the cruise because I am frugal, but we had some OBC to burn through, so I got an iced coffee at IC every morning. They were just right. Full of sugar I can't have, but it's once in a lifetime, right?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

speaking of eggs - on our latest Enchanted cruise, IC had these amazing tiny egg muffins... OMG. So good. Three different kinds - I want to say spinach and feta, broccoli and mushrooms, and ham and cheese?  I would stop by, got a couple of donuts for DS and several egg muffins for me and then I'd head over to the buffet to meet up with my boys. So, IC has some delicious healthy stuff as well. I don't remember seeing the muffins on Regal in 2019, but it's been so long...

I usually don't drink free coffee on cruises because I like it a certain way and I cannot get it right, and I don't buy fancy coffee on the cruise because I am frugal, but we had some OBC to burn through, so I got an iced coffee at IC every morning. They were just right. Full of sugar I can't have, but it's once in a lifetime, right?

I’ve read a lot of criticism of the free cruise coffee. I’ll drink it to wake up,  But to really enjoy one, you have to pay.  How was the iced coffee?  I’ve read here that it’s not on the menu and not made well.  I’m prepared to ask for the components and mix my own. As long as there’s almond milk available.

6 hours ago, Ombud said:

IC has donuts each morning until 10 or 11 .... depends on when they run out. But custard filled ones only available every day in Hanukkah.  

I was on the look out for those but missed them I suppose. 🥺

11 hours ago, BamaVol said:

I’ve read a lot of criticism of the free cruise coffee. I’ll drink it to wake up,  But to really enjoy one, you have to pay.  How was the iced coffee?  I’ve read here that it’s not on the menu and not made well.  I’m prepared to ask for the components and mix my own. As long as there’s almond milk available.

Enchanted Princess' free coffee wasn't bad at all (much better than RCI's) - maybe, because it's brewed individually, I am just very particular about it (probably because I don't like coffee that much and it must taste like a hot Frappuccino for me to like it). My husband liked it just fine, but the coffee machines in the buffet were out of service most of the time.

The iced coffee at IC was great - creamy and sweet, just the way I like it. It's definitely on the menu:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2897524-enchanted-thanksgiving-2022-southern-caribbean-review-with-patters-menus-and-pics-of-food/page/2/#comment-64403424

I wrote a little about it in my Enchanted review.

They also have the same fancy coffee menu at the buffet in the dessert section (Horizon Bistro?) and on deck 7 at Princess Live! Cafe.

On RCI we (both me and DH) have to bring Nestle instant coffee with us because RCI's free coffee is undrinkable to either of us.

22 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

On RCI we (both me and DH) have to bring Nestle instant coffee with us because RCI's free coffee is undrinkable to either of us.

Being from the South, I must have my ice tea.  Unfortunately, it is very difficult to get brewed ice tea before lunch time and the ice tea from the self serve machines is undrinkable.  So I bring Luzianne  tea bags, get some hot water from the self serve tap, and brew my own.  Add lots of ice, and voila authentic Southern ice tea!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

Being from the South, I must have my ice tea.  Unfortunately, it is very difficult to get brewed ice tea before lunch time and the ice tea from the self serve machines is undrinkable.  So I bring Luzianne  tea bags, get some hot water from the self serve tap, and brew my own.  Add lots of ice, and voila authentic Southern ice tea!

thankfully, all sorts of (free) tea are widely available on both Princess and RCI ships, so we don't even have to bring our own. We are huge tea drinkers (hot, not iced). We bring large insulated tumblers with us onboard for tea and cold drinks because the tiny cups at the buffet don't do it for us.

52 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

thankfully, all sorts of (free) tea are widely available on both Princess and RCI ships, so we don't even have to bring our own. We are huge tea drinkers (hot, not iced). We bring large insulated tumblers with us onboard for tea and cold drinks because the tiny cups at the buffet don't do it for us.

Yes, but they are all Twinings or the like, not good old Luzianne!  Ice tea made with Earl Grey or English Breakfast just ain't the same.  I can give up not having Duke's Mayo, but not Luzianne tea.  😉

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Enchanted Princess' free coffee wasn't bad at all (much better than RCI's) - maybe, because it's brewed individually, I am just very particular about it (probably because I don't like coffee that much and it must taste like a hot Frappuccino for me to like it). My husband liked it just fine, but the coffee machines in the buffet were out of service most of the time.

The iced coffee at IC was great - creamy and sweet, just the way I like it. It's definitely on the menu:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2897524-enchanted-thanksgiving-2022-southern-caribbean-review-with-patters-menus-and-pics-of-food/page/2/#comment-64403424

I wrote a little about it in my Enchanted review.

They also have the same fancy coffee menu at the buffet in the dessert section (Horizon Bistro?) and on deck 7 at Princess Live! Cafe.

Thanks.  Not a coffee snob, but I do have minimum standards.  I agree that RCI buffet coffee is undrinkable.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCThunder said:

Yes, but they are all Twinings or the like

yes, Twinings and Bigelow, thank you very much. Times when the likes of Lipton were good enough for us are far behind us. 🙂 

Having a cup of Bigelow Vanilla Caramel with a splash of milk right now - like a dessert, but without all the (sugar) guilt. 🙂

Bigelow Black Tea, Vanilla Caramel, Tea Bags, 20 Count, Size: 6/20 EA

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, BamaVol said:

Try the Black Forest freeze. Sinfully good!

• Like 1