Booking shore excursions

daltonsmom1

Sailing in the Norwegian Getaway leaving 3/26/23 for 10 days to Bermuda and Nassau.  This is our familys second cruise ever, last year we did 7 days to the Bahamas on Carnival.  Can you book excursions anywhere besides the NCL website?  Their prices are off the charts for a family of 5.  Any advice from other more experienced cruisers would be greatly appreciated. Cruising is me and my husband and our 3 boys, ages 5, 12 and 17.  The 12 year old will actually be turning 13 while we are in Bermuda, he is super excited.  Thanks for any advice for us newbies.

13 minutes ago, daltonsmom1 said:

Sailing in the Norwegian Getaway leaving 3/26/23 for 10 days to Bermuda and Nassau.  This is our familys second cruise ever, last year we did 7 days to the Bahamas on Carnival.  Can you book excursions anywhere besides the NCL website?  Their prices are off the charts for a family of 5.  Any advice from other more experienced cruisers would be greatly appreciated. Cruising is me and my husband and our 3 boys, ages 5, 12 and 17.  The 12 year old will actually be turning 13 while we are in Bermuda, he is super excited.  Thanks for any advice for us newbies.

Best bet is to check with your travel advisor.

From my brief research into this, the NCL excursions run 50-75% over the cost of the same excursion if you book directly with a local company for the same tour.

I believe NCL right now has a $50 off per excursion promotion although I'm not sure if that applies to multiple people in the booking (I'm normally solo).

The benefit of going with NCL is that they will hold the ship if the excursion is delayed for some reason and they will adjust the schedules if the port times change.  If you book on your own, you'll need to deal with those details.

If Bermuda is an overnight port, then I would say go for it booking with a local company if it saves you a decent about of $$$ since there is no requirement to get back to the ship by a certain time (for the first day at least).

39 minutes ago, daltonsmom1 said:

Really depends on what you want to do. 

NCL Shore Excursions are more expensive than trying to do something on your own. But if you are not the experienced cruiser or traveler, then they may be the easiest. 

Recommendation: Look at the excursions on your MyNCL account to see what kinds of things the ship has. At this point, the most popular excursions may be sold out already. Once you get ideas, then figure out if you can afford the NCL excursion or whether you want to do it on your own. 

In Bermuda, if you are just looking for a pink sand beach day (like going out to Horseshoe Bay), there are "taxis" at the dock (actually shared vans) that can get you to the beach cheaply. You would still have to pay cash for loungers and umbrellas. Other than that, you have to figure out how to entertain your kids... 

Great Stirrup Cay is a beach day. Free loungers, free food, drinks the same as on the ship. Yeah,,, the kids will probably want to do the zip lines or wave runners. But you can get away with free.... 

Orlando, a trip to a theme park is $$$, or the space center. You're there for 16 hours. 

Off Topic: On embarkation day, enroll your kids in the Splash Academy kids club and Entourage teen club (your 12 year old may be stuck in the kids club for the duration). And make sure that they go on the first night to make friends. Then, you may not see them again on the ship. 

Off Topic: As soon as you embark, book your entertainment in Headliners (Deck 6 Mid-ship) and fix your dining, if needed, across the hall at Teppanyaki (Deck 6 Mid-Ship).  

8 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

I believe NCL right now has a $50 off per excursion promotion although I'm not sure if that applies to multiple people in the booking (I'm normally solo).

As an FYI this is what it says on the NCL site:

• Shore Excursions
    $50 USD credit per tour for 1st guest
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, jimsig said:

As an FYI this is what it says on the NCL site:

• Shore Excursions
    $50 USD credit per tour for 1st guest

Every time you turn around they are changing that perk. If OP is interested they needs to see what it was when they booked.

Edited by zqvol

NCL prices have gone up and up to ridiculous levels that mean the $50 doesn't scratch the surface.

However, some pointers:

1, Low cost trips like a cable car are often worth it as the lead passenger goes free (or a few $), you could even play the game and book one ticket on the ship and the other elsewhere.
2, Remember you have to get back or the ship sails without you, NCL will ensure you get back even delaying departure.

3, Some external trips won't refund a no show, so if the port is missed you may have lost your payment, NCL will always refund you.

On my next trip we have used all external as all the NCL trips are three figures pp so the $50 makes no difference and big savings can be made booking my own. Some I have to give them 24hrs notice to cancel so I know I wont get a refund if I miss the port, others I pay on the day so no possible loss to me.
Some ports I have just booked a car and will do my own thing, but I won't cut it short as I have to get to the ship for sail away.

My personal rule on cruiseline v booking directly for excursions is that as long as there’s a possible alternative transport to get back to the ship then you don’t need to bother booking via the cruiseline. But if an excursion involves a boat or train then book via the cruiseline in case of mechanical failure. 

In the Caribbean there’ll be tour companies and taxis at the main ports offering all sorts of excursions and there’s usually flat fees for taxis to the most popular destinations  if you want to wait until you reach the port to decide what you want to do or want to haggle with the locals.  
As others have suggested check the ports of call forums here, but also check trip advisor and viator. Do check the t&cs on excursions to ensure a full refund if the ship misses the port. 

I thought when we booked our cruise, the $50 per for excursions was per stateroom per port. Now it states $50 for the first person in the stateroom.  Huge difference. Does anyone know if you can you swap the passenger names on the reservation around so the other person is first now? We have several couples going on a cruise and wives from a few of the cabins want to go on an excursion and use the credit, but the husbands names are listed first. Trying to figure this one out!

8 hours ago, PeggyLS said:

I thought when we booked our cruise, the $50 per for excursions was per stateroom per port. Now it states $50 for the first person in the stateroom.  Huge difference. Does anyone know if you can you swap the passenger names on the reservation around so the other person is first now? We have several couples going on a cruise and wives from a few of the cabins want to go on an excursion and use the credit, but the husbands names are listed first. Trying to figure this one out!

Best idea is to call NCL and ask.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PeggyLS said:

If you do the upgrade to Free at Sea plus, the second person also gets the excursion credit.  You also get the upgraded drink package, unlimited wifi, and 2 additional specialty meals.

• Like 1