Newbie questions

archer_310

We've mostly sailed Disney and RC, but are looking to maybe do an MSC cruise with friends next December.  I've been pricing some cruises, but for the life of me can't find some info on the website.  My wife and I are not really drinkers, so buying the alcohol package doesn't make sense.  However, we may like to have the package which includes pop.  There are descriptions on the site, but no prices.  As I haven't booked a cruise yet, how do I find out how much it would cost to add this?  Do I have to add this for everyone in the cabin, or can I just choose 1 person?

Other questions:

1) Not sure what the deposit is for MSC cruises, but if I were to cancel before final payment, is the deposit refunded?

2) Friends were just on an MSC cruise and said it would have cost $18 to attend entertainment.  From what I read on the website, entertainment is included.  Which is true?

3) I've also been told that once you book a cruise you can't get a partial refund if you see the price has decreased.  Should I wait for one of their sales before booking?

4) If we don't purchase a pop package, what does MSC provide free?

5) Are you allowed to bring pop/water, etc. onboard at embarkation?

That's all I can think of for now.

59 minutes ago, archer_310 said:

We've mostly sailed Disney and RC, but are looking to maybe do an MSC cruise with friends next December.  I've been pricing some cruises, but for the life of me can't find some info on the website.  My wife and I are not really drinkers, so buying the alcohol package doesn't make sense.  However, we may like to have the package which includes pop.  There are descriptions on the site, but no prices.  As I haven't booked a cruise yet, how do I find out how much it would cost to add this?  Do I have to add this for everyone in the cabin, or can I just choose 1 person?

Other questions:

1) Not sure what the deposit is for MSC cruises, but if I were to cancel before final payment, is the deposit refunded? Yes, unless in Yacht Club.

2) Friends were just on an MSC cruise and said it would have cost $18 to attend entertainment.  From what I read on the website, entertainment is included.  Which is true?  They were probably on the Meraviglia, where they have Carousel Productions where there is a charge.  Main theater productions are free on MSC.

3) I've also been told that once you book a cruise you can't get a partial refund if you see the price has decreased.  Should I wait for one of their sales before booking?  Honestly, if you see a price you like, book it.  If (rarely!) the price drops, you can call in.  May have to call in a few times to get a competent and helpful agent, but it can be done.

4) If we don't purchase a pop package, what does MSC provide free? Coffee, tea, water, as well as juices (although the juices are available only in the morning).

5) Are you allowed to bring pop/water, etc. onboard at embarkation?  MSC policy is to not allow it.  Security is pretty strict at embarkation, but is relaxed at ports of call, as long as you don't overdo it.

That's all I can think of for now.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, archer_310 said:

1) Not sure what the deposit is for MSC cruises, but if I were to cancel before final payment, is the deposit refunded? Generally the deposit is refundable up to final payment. The schedule is item 13 in the Booking Conditions.

2) Friends were just on an MSC cruise and said it would have cost $18 to attend entertainment.  From what I read on the website, entertainment is included.  Which is true? Main shows in the theater are generally free. Specialty shows in other venues on some ships may have a fee.

3) I've also been told that once you book a cruise you can't get a partial refund if you see the price has decreased.  Should I wait for one of their sales before booking? I don't have experience with this. We tend to book categories that generally fill up, so they increase in price, so I always just book what I want as early as possible or during the next sale that comes up.

4) If we don't purchase a pop package, what does MSC provide free? tap water, milk, coffee, iced tea, hot tea. Juice is available at breakfast.

5) Are you allowed to bring pop/water, etc. onboard at embarkation? No. No wine either.

48 minutes ago, jame_g said:

You are much more thorough than I on the beverages question.  You got me thinking (a dangerous thing!😉).  I do recall seeing hot chocolate mix packages in the buffet areas on recent sailings, also.  Near the tea bags.

4 hours ago, JAGR said:

Excellent responses, but I will add/clarify one thing. I don't think they honor price drops. With YC, it's basically too bad 🙂 With other categories I believe you have to cancel and rebook.

Of course, what you said about calling back several times is *always* true, so who knows. I have a YC cabin I've called probably 5 or 6 times and wasn't able to get it dropped. I have a non-YC cabin with the same thing...they made me cancel and rebook.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JAGR said:

You are much more thorough than I on the beverages question.  You got me thinking (a dangerous thing!😉).  I do recall seeing hot chocolate mix packages in the buffet areas on recent sailings, also.  Near the tea bags.

I think I saw hot chocolate packets in the buffet on our Oct cruise. Not sure if they were there all the time. 

I guess my original questions didn’t get addressed:

1) Does anyone know what it costs to add a basic package that includes pop?

2) Can one person buy it in the cabin, or does everyone have to buy it if 1 person does?

Thanks

5 hours ago, alyssamma said:

Excellent responses, but I will add/clarify one thing. I don't think they honor price drops. With YC, it's basically too bad 🙂 With other categories I believe you have to cancel and rebook.

Of course, what you said about calling back several times is *always* true, so who knows. I have a YC cabin I've called probably 5 or 6 times and wasn't able to get it dropped. I have a non-YC cabin with the same thing...they made me cancel and rebook.

I did a price match by phone before final payment (800 cad). Took 10min. No trouble at all.

4 minutes ago, Teibban said:

I did a price match by phone before final payment (800 cad). Took 10min. No trouble at all.

Based on your signature I assume you aren't in the US...the rules are different by country. The OP seems to be in Canada also, so maybe it will work for them.

Also, to be clear, you said price match, but I assume you mean you repriced it because of a price drop...correct?

MSC - at least for the US - seems to have several new policies...not repricing seems to be one of them. But even before I've had problems and had to cancel and rebook to get lower fares.

That being said, regardless of what is being done, "no trouble at all" isn't really something people say when they have to call MSC...

12 hours ago, titangas said:

For my upcoming 7 night cruise, it says $182 per adult for alcohol free package.

34432353-847A-4F24-BE01-7EBFA8390ADB.png

Wow - that's expensive!  That would be $26/day/person.  That's a lot of pop to drink to make that worthwhile.  RC is less than $10/day and everyone doesn't have to purchase the plan.

On 1/21/2023 at 3:10 PM, archer_310 said:

2) Friends were just on an MSC cruise and said it would have cost $18 to attend entertainment.  From what I read on the website, entertainment is included.  Which is true?

Both. Basically all shows in the theater are free. But if some very special guest artists from outside do a show then there can be a fee. It happens extremely rare, but I remember the Buena Vista Social Club coming on board in Havana. 

4 hours ago, archer_310 said:

Wow - that's expensive!  That would be $26/day/person.  That's a lot of pop to drink to make that worthwhile.  RC is less than $10/day and everyone doesn't have to purchase the plan.

I would think that some of that difference is that MSC doesn't do a simple pop/soda/soft drink package. The alcohol-free package should also includes things like alcohol-free mocktails, so you can get a lot more out of the package than the ones on other cruise lines.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, archer_310 said:

I guess my original questions didn’t get addressed:

1) Does anyone know what it costs to add a basic package that includes pop?

2) Can one person buy it in the cabin, or does everyone have to buy it if 1 person does?

Thanks

Here is a price list from onboard Seascape today 1/22/23.

20230122_113512.jpg

20230122_113448.jpg

On 1/22/2023 at 2:08 PM, archer_310 said:

But actually it isn't a classic soda package: It is a full non alcoholic one! You can have pretty much everything sold about except the specialty 3rd party coffee and ice cream shop! From bottled water to specialty coffees at any bar to energy drinks to fountain sodas!... FYI: Have my own regular average daily non alcoholic bar tab:

1 Freshly squeezed orange juice by the morning.

1 big specialty coffee cup by the morning.

2 bottles of water, juices or sodas alongside main meals.

2 small specialty coffees after main meals.

1-2 mocktails/big specialty coffee drinks along the day.

1 hot chocolate as late night treat.

Plus 1-3 bottles of water for shore excursions depending on its duration.

In a nutshell: If your main bill is out of sodas that may cost some 3 EUR/USD each and you only drink the odd ones with meals; no need to go with the package, once they don't have nor a classic soda package, nor a limited soda package offering either. So, now if you want the extra items... My own regular schedule gives you an idea...

• Like 1

On 1/21/2023 at 2:10 PM, archer_310 said:

We've mostly sailed Disney and RC, but are looking to maybe do an MSC cruise with friends next December.  I've been pricing some cruises, but for the life of me can't find some info on the website.  My wife and I are not really drinkers, so buying the alcohol package doesn't make sense.  However, we may like to have the package which includes pop.  There are descriptions on the site, but no prices.  As I haven't booked a cruise yet, how do I find out how much it would cost to add this? - Others have answered this previously.  Do I have to add this for everyone in the cabin, or can I just choose 1 person? - Everyone in cabin must have. Beware that usually the Easy plus and Internet promotion used for the North America region sailings might to be less expensive than to add the separate non alcoholic package to the basic fare and all the non alcoholic part is either way included on said package and you receive basic internet.

Other questions:

1) Not sure what the deposit is for MSC cruises, but if I were to cancel before final payment, is the deposit refunded? - Depends on from where you live. Each market will have their own rules. For example: Here for Portugal they're currently non refundable... But actually pretty much nominal, on the likes of 50 EUR per person or such.

2) Friends were just on an MSC cruise and said it would have cost $18 to attend entertainment.  From what I read on the website, entertainment is included.  Which is true? - Both are true, to each extent. Most of the entertainment is free, but some ships, like all the Meraviglia class ones do have some paid for entertainment on a dedicated lounge.

3) I've also been told that once you book a cruise you can't get a partial refund if you see the price has decreased.  Should I wait for one of their sales before booking? - Again; as others have said: Very rarely will a price drop these days, so, book as far as you're ready, please... By the way; it may be possible to round it, but you'll need good luck with the representative you speak to...

4) If we don't purchase a pop package, what does MSC provide free? - No regular pop package on offering right now, only a full non alcoholic one. They'll to offer the usual suspects at the buffet counter: cold and hot water, regular coffee, some tea packets, juices with breakfast, milk with breakfast, possibly chocolate milk with breakfast.

5) Are you allowed to bring pop/water, etc. onboard at embarkation? Officially no... But at least here in Europe they'll to close their eyes on said beverages purchased on the port's duty free shops located after security. Those items are usually more expensive than regular street stores ones, but less expensive and larger variety than inside ship. No need for it if you go with a package though!

That's all I can think of for now. - You're welcome! Have a nice day!