Is the Premium liquor package a Premium deal?

Sigyn

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

To be clear, there is no brand of liquor that is "only in premium." Any brand of spirit can be ordered with the classic package. There just may be an upcharge that could be cheaper in the long run as opposed to upgrading to premium.

Granted, I should have said only free with premium.  But I think everyone knew what I meant.  

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

To be clear, there is no brand of liquor that is "only in premium." Any brand of spirit can be ordered with the classic package. There just may be an upcharge that could be cheaper in the long run as opposed to upgrading to premium.

That poses an interesting question. What about Bailey's? I usually upgrade to the Premium package because I enjoy Riesling Kabinnet (from Germany) at dinner, and order a triple Bailey's on the way to the evening show. I get I would pay the upcharge for the higher quality Riesling, but what about the triple Bailey's since there is no cheaper brand?

And then there's Moscato, which for some odd reason is only found on the Premium wine list.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

9 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Granted, I should have said only free with premium.  But I think everyone knew what I meant.  

You are not the person I quoted.

4 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

That poses an interesting question. What about Bailey's? I usually upgrade to the Premium package because I enjoy Riesling Kabinnet (from Germany) at dinner, and order a triple Bailey's on the way to the evening show. I get I would pay the upcharge for the higher quality Riesling, but what about the triple Bailey's since there is no cheaper brand?

What about it? It works the same way as the wine. Whatever the cost of a triple Bailey's is, subtract $10 if you have the classic package or $17 if you have the premium package. That's the upcharge if any.

5 minutes ago, RichYak said:

You are not the person I quoted.

What about it? It works the same way as the wine. Whatever the cost of a triple Bailey's is, subtract $10 if you have the classic package or $17 if you have the premium package. That's the upcharge if any.

Good to know, as I've never simply used the Classic Beverage package before. So all I need to do is pay the difference between the $30 as it's a triple (and any applicable gratuities) and the actual cost of the drink. Thanks!

Edited by Ken the cruiser

2 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I've had a few of their cocktails not sure if I've had the Zacapa.  Is WCB on the Apex? Hope so.

Not sure but I hope so too as we’re on the Beyond next year. I’ve only found the WCB on the S class ships so far.

34 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Good to know, as I've never simply used the Classic Beverage package before. So all I need to do is pay the difference between the $30 as it's a triple (and any applicable gratuities) and the actual cost of the drink. Thanks!

I doubt they'd charge you that much. If they did, you would have incurred an upcharge in the past with your premium package. Regardless, if you're ordering premium spirits and wines multiple times per day, the math probably favors upgrading to premium if you already have classic.

Just now, RichYak said:

I doubt they'd charge you that much. If they did, you would have incurred an upcharge in the past with your premium package. Regardless, if you're ordering premium spirits and wines multiple times per day, the math probably favors upgrading to premium if you already have classic.

Actually, when it comes to the triple Bailey's, the bartender, according to what they told me, would usually ring up a double first and then a single a few minutes later. But since I was always on the Premium package, I never saw any upcharge.

• Thanks 1

On 1/23/2023 at 11:54 AM, Bo1953 said:

On my last Summit sailing the bartender often upgraded my Macallan to the 20yo without really asking

Bo - I'm curious which Macallan did you upgrade from (to the 20 yo)?  I'm surprised (and happy) that either was available on any package!  All the best to you...

32 minutes ago, shanebbb said:

Bo - I'm curious which Macallan did you upgrade from (to the 20 yo)?  I'm surprised (and happy) that either was available on any package!  All the best to you...

sb - The 12 yo is (was) available on the PBP... and can be found at Al Bacio (I had a shot each afternoon with my oolong tea and special baked good) and at Cellar Masters.

After day two (2) the bartender at CM was also working at AB, she brought over the 20 yo for me to have with my tea.... needless to say, as she rewarded me I rewarded her with a great detailed by name review on the comment card and emailed survey.

Of course not mentioning the great up-grade I received... LOL

Cheers and bon voyage

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:
1 hour ago, shanebbb said:

sb - The 12 yo is (was) available on the PBP...

This is a great tip Bo!  We’re on Beyond Feb 25, and I’ll look forward to a similar afternoon treat.  Our first cruise since Dec ‘17 so we’re really looking forward (and in a Sky Suite for 1st time).  I’ll be fine with the 12 yo.

All the best, Shane

• Like 2

On 1/24/2023 at 1:03 AM, njsmom said:

For those who have gotten the Premium liquor package on Celebrity, please tell me if it's been a good experience. We just took an NCL cruise in December and upgraded to the Premium drink package and found it difficult to get Premium liquors and wines. When we were at bars the bartenders didn't ask if we had the premium package and would give us drinks with the basic liquor, and we didn't always think to say anything because they were so busy, or specialty restaurants didn't know which wines were premium and which weren't, and then they'd finally bring over the list outlining which bottles were free on premium, etc. It was always an extra step or two. It wasn't seamless by any means. We didn't learn until midway through the cruise, for instance, that Perrier and specialty flat waters were included, etc. 

My question here is, how easy is it on Celebrity to access the Premium package? Is there a separate menu at each bar that you can immediately see, do the bartenders ask, do you always know upfront how to get your Premium liquors or do you have to know what you're doing in order to make sure you're getting your money's worth on your drink package? And if you don't get the Premium package, do you simply pay the difference in drink prices from the basic drink package, which is what we have now as an AquaClass cabin?

We had the same experience on our first Azamara cruise in November. It was  disappointing compared with our previous experiences on Celebrity where all staff were well-versed in what was part of each package and were very pro-active and adept at (discretely) checking our cards and automatically offering wines and spirits that were at the right level. You don't always notice when it is seamless but you certainly notice when it isn't. We are hoping it will be better back on Celebrity but expecting it may not.

As for quality of drinks, I note from the app (if it is correct) that the Australian red wine in the premium package is actually a $7AUD bottle from our local bottle shop. If that is representative of the other international wines, then we will just stick with the classic package and bring a few nice bottles from home.

Edited by Carolyn C

32 minutes ago, shanebbb said:

This is a great tip Bo!  We’re on Beyond Feb 25, and I’ll look forward to a similar afternoon treat.  Our first cruise since Dec ‘17 so we’re really looking forward (and in a Sky Suite for 1st time).  I’ll be fine with the 12 yo.

All the best, Shane

Shane - Ask the Retreat Bartender if they will stock it for you, as well...

Enjoy your sailing and know that on the 27th, I will be raising a glass of Blanton's saluting you while your are sailing...

Cheers and bon voyage Samuel

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I am so jealous.  I have not been able to find Blanton's in years.  

d - I have had this bottle for five (5) years and it was a group birthday gift (idea of cost that five (5) people chipped in to purchase it).

I Am told that in the area where I Am currently living there is only one (1) liquor store that carries a limited supply... I plan on going there in the next few weeks to find out definitely if they do and if I need to have five (5) people chip in to help me purchase it... LOL

I will let you know the details for sure...

Cheers and bon voyage

• Thanks 1

On 1/23/2023 at 10:06 AM, drakes2 said:

The Decoy is ok but I feel should be on basic as its fairly cheap to purchase. 

It runs about $20 a bottle depending on sale prices in our area, as do most wines on premium package. Do I really consider that premium? Not really but on Celebrity it is. I've looked up some of their classic wines (like the freebie our butler gave us) and it was under $4 online at at least one store! I kid you not. As an average it ran $4-5. The only really premium wines they brag about in their advertising are, in my opinion,  only available by the very expensive bottle. 

32 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I've looked up some of their classic wines (like the freebie our butler gave us) and it was under $4 online at at least one store! I kid you not. As an average it ran $4-5.

And that $4  to $5 bottle of wine was probably purchased in bulk for a couple dollars.  Since I mostly travel solo I'd rather just bring my own onboard. Sailing Saturday on the Sky Princess as Celebrity was too expensive when I booked in October and they only allow 1 per person any additional is charged at $15 per bottle regardless of where you consume.  Booked the cheapest inside and Monday they upgraded me to nice balcony mid ship deck 11.  I don't know why but haven't sailed with them since 2013 so who knows.  Nice wine nice balcony so what the heck I just threw my nice travel aerator into my bag. 😆 🍷

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

It runs about $20 a bottle depending on sale prices in our area, as do most wines on premium package. Do I really consider that premium? Not really but on Celebrity it is. I've looked up some of their classic wines (like the freebie our butler gave us) and it was under $4 online at at least one store! I kid you not. As an average it ran $4-5. The only really premium wines they brag about in their advertising are, in my opinion,  only available by the very expensive bottle. 

I just looked up the Decoy cab its $40 CAD.  Stupid canadian taxes. 

On 1/23/2023 at 9:17 AM, terrydtx said:

All of our cruises in the last 2 years have been in the Retreat with the PDP amenity and just for the wines by the glass darn well worth it. On the Reflection last year, I was also to get 12-year-old Mccallan scotch for the $15 per shot price. I love good whiskeys and the PDP has a nice selection compared to the classic offering. For just drinking vodka I see no reason to upgrade.

That almost sounds like you're saying Vodka is Vodka is Vodka.  Philistine! 

4 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

d - I have had this bottle for five (5) years and it was a group birthday gift (idea of cost that five (5) people chipped in to purchase it).

My last bottle was a 'house warming gift' from a friend.  I did not open it until April of 2020 when things shut down.  It lasted three months.  

4 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

I Am told that in the area where I Am currently living there is only one (1) liquor store that carries a limited supply... I plan on going there in the next few weeks to find out definitely if they do and if I need to have five (5) people chip in to help me purchase it... LOL

I will let you know the details for sure...

I wish you luck.  I am tempted to schedule any cruise that stops in Sint Maarten as I have heard rumors that there is at least one liquor store there that may have some on hand.  In the mean time I am 'subscribed' to a mailing list our state liquor board has that announces which stores will be getting 'special selections' and I keep a keen eye out for Blanton's.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Just WOW 

image.png.d118db0715d77120473ebf90e03311e6.png

I won't buy it plus its not even that great IMO.  I prefer to wait for markdowns at end of month where I get some fabulous wines at 20 to 30 off.   Just bought a Stags Leap cab but saving for my Apex TA. 

• Like 2

I cannot remember the last time I bought a bottle of wine in a store other than Costco.  That's where we get my wife's Moscoto.   We belong to Cooper's Hawk and the 868 Estate Vineyards and get what we need through them since cancelling my wine club membership with Wente.   Celebrity use to have a partnership with Wente and I loved the Wente wines they carried.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I cannot remember the last time I bought a bottle of wine in a store other than Costco.  That's where we get my wife's Moscoto.   We belong to Cooper's Hawk and the 868 Estate Vineyards and get what we need through them since cancelling my wine club membership with Wente.   Celebrity use to have a partnership with Wente and I loved the Wente wines they carried.  

I remember the Wente. We used to drink it all the time on Celebrity.  We do like Decoy, as well as the Conundrum red blend. When they have it we also sometimes drink Edmeades Zinfandel.