Potable water?

Habs_CatD

21 minutes ago, Habs_CatD said:

Yes, thinking more about this, it probably was on a ferry. Or maybe just in my imagination? Lol

Last time I saw this was 50 years ago on a pushboat on the Mississippi River.  Your cabin sink had three water taps: hot, cold, drinking.  The boat had limited drinking water capacity, so you only brushed your teeth with this.  The hot and cold came directly from the river.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, island lady said:

LOL...you crack me up with your ever changing Avatar pictures.  😄   And yes, please refrain from the "pot water".   😛

image.jpeg.effdb46cbe26944bc6380952092d9fcd.jpeg

The big problem is with the pronunciation.  It really isn't "pot-able", but "poe-table".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Well, I think you should take back your statement, "He is high maintenance." His personal water filtration system is first-rate requiring no pre-filters." 😁

Well, drinking a few beers helps with the "personal water filtration system".   😄 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

The big problem is with the pronunciation.  It really isn't "pot-able", but "poe-table".

I don't think dogs care.  😉  But indeed interesting...thanks!   

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, island lady said:

Well, drinking a few beers helps with the "personal water filtration system".   😄 

I'll drink to that. 🍻 Years ago I had issues with kidney stones. My doctor asked if I was drinking plenty of fluids. Me, yes. Doctor, water. Me, is beer and wine considered water. Doctor, noooo!! I know drink a lot more water.  

2 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I'll drink to that. 🍻 Years ago I had issues with kidney stones. My doctor asked if I was drinking plenty of fluids. Me, yes. Doctor, water. Me, is beer and wine considered water. Doctor, noooo!! I know drink a lot more water.  

Oh your doctor is no fun!!!  😉  😄 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, island lady said:

Oh your doctor is no fun!!!  😉  😄 

5 hours ago, davekathy said:

I know. So I got a second opinion. My Magic 8 Ball agreed with my doctor! 😱

I love it when a fat doctor tells me to lose weight and a Doctor comes into the exam room, back in the day, smelling like a cigarette butt and tells me/preaches to me how much cigarettes are bad for me.  I wonder how many alcoholic Doctors there are.  I bet we'd be surprised!

No, that's not to say that their advice is wrong.  

45 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I love it when a fat doctor tells me to lose weight and a Doctor comes into the exam room, back in the day, smelling like a cigarette butt and tells me/preaches to me how much cigarettes are bad for me.  I wonder how many alcoholic Doctors there are.  I bet we'd be surprised!

I love when thin Dr's tell me to lose weight (for my knee) and then talk about how they need to lose weight themselves.   Seriously, a man who is 5'10" and probably weighs no more than 165?  Really?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, BND said:

I love when thin Dr's tell me to lose weight (for my knee) and then talk about how they need to lose weight themselves.   Seriously, a man who is 5'10" and probably weighs no more than 165?  Really?

I would tell you how I feel about doctors. But, it would set off a fire storm and this is not the time or place.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I would tell you how I feel about doctors. But, it would set off a fire storm and this is not the time or place.  

In 2003 I moved to a new location. I was a considerable distance from where I previously lived.Therefore,I decided to look for a doctor close to where I was now living A few blocks away was a medical building .I googled the doctors and found an Internist ,called his office and made an appointment.The doctor was about 200 pounds overweight and smoking non stop during the exam.That was my last time there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

In 2003 I moved to a new location. I was a considerable distance from where I previously lived.Therefore,I decided to look for a doctor close to where I was now living A few blocks away was a medical building .I googled the doctors and found an Internist ,called his office and made an appointment.The doctor was about 200 pounds overweight and smoking non stop during the exam.That was my last time there.

There are many great coaches in football who could never play the game but they have expert knowledge and experience helping others who do. As long as the advice and expertise is correct, I will live with the physical hypocrisy. 

My opinion of course. 😄

12 hours ago, Ret MP said:

LOL...totally agree.   If I go to see a doctor, who reeks like a dirty ashtray, I will find another one.  😉 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2023 at 10:04 AM, chengkp75 said:

Well, that gets into municipal water supply.  Municipal supplies chlorinate at the pumping station, to reach the required chlorine content.  The water then sits in lines until a valve is opened to allow water to flow.  While sitting in the pipes, the chlorine dissipates, so that at the end user (home or business), there will likely be no residual chlorine.  So, there is little need for a filter to remove chlorine, but municipal supplies most often have higher mineral contents than ship water, so they frequently use carbon filters on water dispensing machinery on land to remove the minerals, and improve the taste, and this also helps prevent scale buildup over the years.  So, just like a refrigerator water supply in your kitchen, it probably has a filter.

Ship's water supply is constantly circulating, from the tanks to the pumps, to the "ring main" on each deck (main water lines running in passageway ceilings that make a complete ring around the deck), and back to the tank.  The water must have a residual chlorine content of 0.5ppm at the furthest point from the pumps (typically the meter is in the bridge bathroom), so the chlorine content is kept higher than land water supplies.

Municipal chlorinates between the Recarbonation Basin and the filters. Requires a 15 minute or so contact time to achieve a 4 log removal of coliforms before the addition of Ammonia (for systems using chloramines). Many that complain about the ships chlorine smell come from muni systems that have switched to chloramines, as chloramines do not have the same chlorine smell. 

Municipal systems are required to maintain a minimum chlorine residual or 0.2 ppm for free chlorine, or 0.6 ppm for chloramines. You should always have at least that at your tap. You really should have 2-3 ppm chloramines minimum, or at least a 1.0 if on free chlorine. There may be some chlorine addition at booster stations if needed. 

The higher mineral content (CaCo3) in muni water is often a requirement of the lead and copper rule, along with alkaline pH and corrosion inhibitor (usually a polyphosphate blend). these requirements prevent the water from being corrosive and leaching lead and copper from the pipes.

There are obviously some variations to this, depending on size of the system, and whether using free chlorine or chloramines, and the treatment required, but this pretty much holds true for systems serving over 10,000 or so.

5 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

There are many great coaches in football who could never play the game but they have expert knowledge and experience helping others who do. As long as the advice and expertise is correct, I will live with the physical hypocrisy. 

My opinion of course. 😄

In theory, I'd agree.  But, hypocrisy, at least to me, is a symptom of other issues I'd have problems with.  Just one example:  Would a hypocrite doctor proscribe a drug to you or your loved one(s) that he/she would never proscribe to himself or his loved one(s)? 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ew101 said:

The American Chemistry Council says plastic water bottles are safe- even those with BPA- which I find hilarious.  Bisphenol A (americanchemistry.com)

Thalidomide is totally safe and peer reviewed (or whatever they called in back in the day) as a great medication, too.  I think I know some folks that would argue that.  

28 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

In theory, I'd agree.  But, hypocrisy, at least to me, is a symptom of other issues I'd have problems with.  Just one example:  Would a hypocrite doctor proscribe a drug to you or your loved one(s) that he/she would never proscribe to himself or his loved one(s)? 

I said physical hypocrisy, not ethical hypocrisy.

6 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

My opinion of course. 😄

Having played two years of Semi Pro Basketball I know for a fact that Coaches do not have to be in great shape in order to impart knowledge of a sport,example Wayne Kirby of the Mets.

However,I would expect a Medical Doctor to not chain smoke when treating patients.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Thalidomide is totally safe and peer reviewed (or whatever they called in back in the day) as a great medication, too.  I think I know some folks that would argue that.  

Thalidomide was not approved by the FDA for use by pregnant women.  An FDA employee named Francis Oldham Kelley fought against it and it was not approved.  Some doctors prescribed it anyway (it was available for other uses).  This is one of the cases the FDA uses with new employees to stress doing what is right, not what is easy.

Thalidomide is currently used to treat leprosy.