A few comments on Oasis of the Seas 1/5 to 1/15 cruise

mared1

Flying to & from Miami was frustrating. Delays, cancellations, etc. Leaving home 4:30am arriving hotel at Miami hotel 1am next day.

EMBARKATION; quick.

FOOD:

Main dining room; good food & service. Usually took an hour for dinner. Breakfast was also fast and good selection

Windjammer: ate breakfast one day; eggs watery, crowded. Good selection at lunch. 

El Loco: burritos hard, everything else good. Ate lunch twice.

Cafe Promenade: quick place for a sandwich & dessert. Never very busy.

CABIN: standard balcony

Smallest cabin we have ever had.

Would prefer drawers to shelves.

Balcony: okay size but didn’t care for straight back chairs. 
Had excellent room attendant. Brought ice every day, paper copy of cruise compass, also gave us 2 robes.

ENTERTAINMENT:

Aqua Show & Ice Skating show excellent.

Lots of bars with music, usually crowded.

FINDING A LOUNGE CHAIR:

impossible after 8 am even in solarium, except for last day when weather  was cool, windy & cloudy 

CROWDS: generally not a problem. Elevators & special sells were the exception.

OVERALL: Enjoyed being out of cold weather. Service was good. Seemed to “nickel and dime” for so many things.Ship geared more to families & a little larger than I would prefer. First time on Royal after 12 cruises on other lines. Probably would not sail on Royal again.

• Like 2

We were also on that cruise. First off, we’ll never cruise from Miami again. That terminal is complete chaos for cars entering and exiting. It took us an hour to get a ride from the terminal and the Uber car was only 1-mile alway

Pretty much agree with much of your sentiments. It was  a much younger crowd than  we expected given the holidays just ended and schools were back in session.  The trip just felt flat, dull.  The house band that played on the Promenade (not the orchestra) was not very good at all.  I will say the Aqua show was outstanding.  The comedians we ok. Marcus Monroe, the juggler/comedian, was an absolute blast. We really enjoyed him. 

We enjoyed Harmony last year so we gave Oasis a try. We’re going to stick with smaller ships, and we love the Radiance class 

I honestly can’t put a finger on why this trip wasn’t that enjoyable. It wasn’t bad, but very forgettable 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, swmichigan cruiser said:

We were also on that cruise. Pretty much agree with everything you said. We had been on the Oasis 3 or 4 times before and the way the ship has been changed over the years probably would not do again.

Why not?  Weren’t the amplifications a net improvement? 

We were also on this cruise and we had a great time!  First time on Oasis after 4 cruises on Alure and Harmony.  I will say this cruise felt more crowded than any of the others but other than trying to get lounge chairs at a pool the first day or so, the crowds never bothered us.   We also had flight delays trying to get to Miami and our luggage did not arrive with us, so we had to go back to the Miami airport at 9 p.m. the night before our cruise to make sure we had our clothes.  We ate in main dining every night except one night in Playmakers.  We had great service and I enjoyed every meal we had there.  We loved the Aqua show, ice skating show and almost all the entertainment.  Did not care for the singer in the pub but otherwise enjoyed the music.  Did not care for the cruise director at all!  The Quest was back but was not as much fun as before....again, probably the fault of the cruise director.  

19 minutes ago, JCDCA said:

Why not?  Weren’t the amplifications a net improvement? 

Not for us. We like to book the Boardwalk balcony's to watch the water shows and now they added the two large purple tubes that block the view out the aft of the ship and replaced the small bar there with the landing area. I might be wrong but I believe when we started there was a no charge Mexican restaurant now it is a charge sports bar with food. The Mexican now is a buffet on deck 15  which is only open about 5 hours a day and no where as good. Also when we were on the Oasis the first times they had a nice two deck lounge for Diamond plus looking out the aft looking down on the Boardwalk. Now that is gone replaced by I believe the Music Hall and the Diamond Lounge is down on deck 4 with only about 50 seats and no windows. Just my opinion of course.

51 minutes ago, swmichigan cruiser said:

Not for us. We like to book the Boardwalk balcony's to watch the water shows and now they added the two large purple tubes that block the view out the aft of the ship and replaced the small bar there with the landing area. I might be wrong but I believe when we started there was a no charge Mexican restaurant now it is a charge sports bar with food. The Mexican now is a buffet on deck 15  which is only open about 5 hours a day and no where as good. Also when we were on the Oasis the first times they had a nice two deck lounge for Diamond plus looking out the aft looking down on the Boardwalk. Now that is gone replaced by I believe the Music Hall and the Diamond Lounge is down on deck 4 with only about 50 seats and no windows. Just my opinion of course.

Agree, the Diamond Lounge is in a poor location.  It's like being in a basement with no windows.  But if I recall correctly that is also where it was on Harmony, I could be wrong.  I liked the Mex Food place on Deck 15 but like you said, the short open hours are inadequate.

While I'm in a complaint mood :),   what is the point of the library on the Central Park?  Its basically empty shelves, and the shelves are not really designed for books.  I wondered if it's just a temp library intended for something else.

• Like 1

We were on Oasis for our 3rd time early December (been on all the Oasis Class except Wonder which we are doing in October) and loved it again as usual.  Only thing about Oasis that I wish was different is no bar in WJ.  Love the bar on the Freedom Class ships in WJ.   But food was good, entertainment was fantastic, except we don't go  to CATS, wish they would change that to a different production show.  We always go to Schooners at night for pre dinner drinks.  We get the Beverage Pkg even with the free drinks for Pinnacle.  Schooners is our favorite lounge in the evening before dinner.  Love El Loco Fresh, great Mexican for snacks.  Overall, Allure is my favorite, but like all the Oasis Class ships.  We never have a problem getting loungers at the pool since we are up there by 7:30 am and stay all day except for bathroom breaks and maybe a 20 minute breakfast (well within the 30 minute rule).  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, onthewater51 said:

Agree, the Diamond Lounge is in a poor location.  It's like being in a basement with no windows.  But if I recall correctly that is also where it was on Harmony, I could be wrong.  I liked the Mex Food place on Deck 15 but like you said, the short open hours are inadequate.

While I'm in a complaint mood :),   what is the point of the library on the Central Park?  Its basically empty shelves, and the shelves are not really designed for books.  I wondered if it's just a temp library intended for something else.

I would say the library is just a quiet space. We played cribbage a few times there when no one was reading. Libraries on Holland America were much better.

9 hours ago, mared1 said:

Flying to & from Miami was frustrating. Delays, cancellations, etc. Leaving home 4:30am arriving hotel at Miami hotel 1am next day.

EMBARKATION; quick.

FOOD:

Main dining room; good food & service. Usually took an hour for dinner. Breakfast was also fast and good selection

Windjammer: ate breakfast one day; eggs watery, crowded. Good selection at lunch. 

El Loco: burritos hard, everything else good. Ate lunch twice.

Cafe Promenade: quick place for a sandwich & dessert. Never very busy.

CABIN: standard balcony

Smallest cabin we have ever had.

Would prefer drawers to shelves.

Balcony: okay size but didn’t care for straight back chairs. 
Had excellent room attendant. Brought ice every day, paper copy of cruise compass, also gave us 2 robes.

ENTERTAINMENT:

Aqua Show & Ice Skating show excellent.

Lots of bars with music, usually crowded.

FINDING A LOUNGE CHAIR:

impossible after 8 am even in solarium, except for last day when weather  was cool, windy & cloudy 

CROWDS: generally not a problem. Elevators & special sells were the exception.

OVERALL: Enjoyed being out of cold weather. Service was good. Seemed to “nickel and dime” for so many things.Ship geared more to families & a little larger than I would prefer. First time on Royal after 12 cruises on other lines. Probably would not sail on Royal again.

Sailing on her with children & grandchidren this summer. While we have sailed on Royal many years ago (with 20+ cruises on other lines) everything you said confirmed my expectations!!

Forgot to add....as long as our Grandchildren are Happy, I will always be Happy!!

Edited by Loracpin2
Additional Info